Likely '09 Captains

Cards13

http://news.theage.com.au/sport/fundraiser...80807-3rl9.html

I'm sure this will go down like a concrete block in a few cereal bowls:

Meanwhile Bailey said it was likely James McDonald or Cameron Bruce would lead the team next season, following the retirement of David Neitz.

"I think James McDonald and Cameron Bruce have done a fantastic job.

"Who or how we set up for next year, we'll determine that at the end of the year but James and Cameron have done a pretty good job in the absence of those blokes," he said.

What's more interesting is that it seems that Bailey will change the leader selection process. If he's picking the captain then it's obviously not up to the player group, what happens if the playing group don't vote either McDonald or Bruce in?

What's more interesting is that it seems that Bailey will change the leader selection process. If he's picking the captain then it's obviously not up to the player group, what happens if the playing group don't vote either McDonald or Bruce in?

Jarks I was wondering how long it would take for someone to raise that little between the lines bit.... 1 post.

While I love Brucey and Jmac. I really do not believe either should be captain next season. I would be very disappointed if Bailey doesn't put it to a vote or something, because it should be Brad Green, seriously everyone, he deserves it. If that is not possible in Bails mind then perhaps it's time to move on and elect a younger player, perhaps Miller/Brock.

I believe if any senior player is going to be captain it has to be Green, Bruce and Jmac for the leadership group, but Greeney should be leading the club as he has proven he will go and fight when the team is struggling and needs him.

The players may choose the leadership group but I did not think they chose the captain (at least without some guidelines).

Last year, I recall Bailey saying it was up to Neitz whether he wanted the captaincy in 2008 at the start of the pre season. Maybe he is sending messages to the playing group now.

The players may choose the leadership group but I did not think they chose the captain (at least without some guidelines).

Last year, I recall Bailey saying it was up to Neitz whether he wanted the captaincy in 2008 at the start of the pre season. Maybe he is sending messages to the playing group now.

Yes Bailey did say that. The players never decided the captain. I still hope it's Green but I'll support whoever gets the honour. Just hope we don't go with two captains, I just don't rate doing that at all.

I can live comfortably with Junior taking the reigns next year. Thereafter it will be more obvious who is suited to take the role through our next 'triumphant' era :)

I can live comfortably with Junior taking the reigns next year. Thereafter it will be more obvious who is suited to take the role through our next 'triumphant' era :)

Yep. With McDonald re-signed, it's likely he'll hold onto it another year, which effectively puts off any decision.

How quick people change their minds about green... He has had a great year no doubt but would you have selected him at the end of 05 or 06?

I think the club has to go with a younger captain and look at the group of young players as they are our future. I personally hate it when a captain of a club gives it up and keeps playing. The captain should be one of the best players and have it to they retire aka Neitz.

The club has three options

JMAC: give the younger players one or two years to develop before selecting

Bruce or Green: have a Capt for three to four

or go with a young player so he takes the leadership for the future push in five years: The problem is who?

Miller: great this year like Green but struggled before that (although his leadership is meant to be great both on and off the field even if he isn't the best player)

Mclean: Should have it but his injury and off season probably cost him

Jones: Probably two young only his third season

I don't really know the answer

A captain is a man whom others follow. A leader of men.

Someone who`s own deeds inspire others.

He makes them want to put their body on the line by his own actions.

IMO Cam Bruce is not that man.

Cam Bruce Has actually played each game this year in extreme pain (shin Splints) He wants to play to keep teaching the young kids.

Thus i feel he would make a very good capt for another year or so. Macca is also a fine example to the young-All Australian rep he is no slouch

Cam Bruce Has actually played each game this year in extreme pain (shin Splints) He wants to play to keep teaching the young kids.

Thus i feel he would make a very good capt for another year or so. Macca is also a fine example to the young-All Australian rep he is no slouch

What on earth has playing with splints got to do with captaincy ?? two very unrelated things :huh:

Playing with shin splints. Interesting debate it raises. Courageous or stupid, basically how is not looking after your body to play at the best of your ability the best way to move forward and teach young kids?

Playing with shin splints. Interesting debate it raises. Courageous or stupid, basically how is not looking after your body to play at the best of your ability the best way to move forward and teach young kids?

I'll agree with you here.. This was raised earlier in year. Im leaning more towards stupid personally. So what he is saying is hes prepared to go out knowing he cant give a 100%...doesnt make sense to me

Absolutely Bub.

If it was the great youthful injury beautifull known as "general soreness" i'd be fine becaus he can rise above it.

If people need to use the excuse of shin splints to pardon Bruce's onfield play, then i'd say it's a bad decision to keep playing

It teaches young kids that to be a top AFL player you have to overcome adversities and show pure COURAGE. I have been unfortunate enough to have had Cam's injury and I tell you it is not pleasant. It takes a lot of guts for him to run 15 kilometres each match in much pain. Try it pal! That's assuming you can run 15 kilometres of course!

I see what you're saying but it would make a mockery of the system if the player chosen by Bailey wasn't voted into the leadership group by the rest of the group.

It teaches young kids that to be a top AFL player you have to overcome adversities and show pure COURAGE. I have been unfortunate enough to have had Cam's injury and I tell you it is not pleasant. It takes a lot of guts for him to run 15 kilometres each match in much pain. Try it pal! That's assuming you can run 15 kilometres of course!

I concur that it takes personal courage to do so.. But occasionaly courage can be foolhardy. The point some of us are attempting to make..is its not courage alone that makes a Captain. Many more qualities come to bear. As it happens I dont run 15 k any more these days..never did actually. 10 was my norm..And Ihave some experience with splints. I agree no fun at all..NONE. I also know that some times you DONT ,because that may prevent you from doing things later. That may or may not come under the common-sense banner.

Again..we need to distinguish between the various attributes...I dont see any in Cam that shouts CAPTAIN !!..and we're talking captains here arent we ?

you guys are the biggest bunch of idiots going round....

david neitz plays against essendon on one leg everyone comes out and says how courageos he is blah blah

cam bruce does somthin along the lines he is an idiot

everyone on this site is so far up brock mcleans arse its not funny.. im sick of it

he is been great he has a good heart and i was impressed by his recent 10 k donation... but ffs he is not captain material yet

bruce mcdonald or green

mclean has a long way to go

mclean captain at age 26