Shane Valenti

The HuLK

It's nice to occasionally see someone who is clearly a footballer in action. For me, I don't enjoy seeing guys like Simon Buckley (sorry) and Clinton Young running around, who have progressed this far due to attributes such as speed before footballing skill or nous. If he plays a few seasons, Valenti will become a fan favourite. I doubt that'll happen though. Jaded's pointed out that his leg speed and size will find him out. I agree, and I understand that's the way the game's heading and has been for some time now. In the mean time, I'll get accustomed to seeing blokes run around at full tilt and as though it's the first time they've seen a footy.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He's not the quickest player, but he's by no means slow. I would say that he's quicker than McLean, Jones and Moloney.

Would run rings around that three for pace,

Alot better than he has shown in his short stint the raves will come when he finds his feet

I felt he was close to our best today

I'm always completely open to a persuasive argument if you can offer one, and so far you haven't. I'm yet to see anything to indicate he's going to be anything more than a good honest player. I don't think he's ever going to be as quick or clean as someone like Sam Mitchell, who is probably the player closest to his "type", which makes me wonder what he offers that any other dime-a-dozen midfielder doesn't. He seems to be a handy player (and was very good today) but I just don't find him to be all that exciting a player.

Why is that following the leader?

I see what you are saying. However, I for one am excited about Valenti if for no reason than he is completely unexpected. I agree that he will never be an 'x-factor' midfielders. In fact he is very much like McLean and Jones. But gee, I really like what I see with Shane. Appears to be a good decision maker, with good skills and knows his bearings around the clearances. Whilst he, Jones and McLean might be second rate now. Get a few more years behind them, when they get to 24-25, we will have picked up some more midfield talent by then hopefully and these guys will be a VERY tough midfield. Should be noted that the Geelong midfield were considered a bunch of slow plodders at one time. Sure, we STILL need a superstar player and that player wont be Valenti, but very good players like Valenti, which I believe he will be, will hold us in good stead down the line.

Guest Schtacker
It's nice to occasionally see someone who is clearly a footballer in action. For me, I don't enjoy seeing guys like Simon Buckley (sorry) and Clinton Young running around, who have progressed this far due to attributes such as speed before footballing skill or nous. If he plays a few seasons, Valenti will becom a fan favourite. I doubt that'll happen though. Jaded's pointed out that his leg speed and size will find him out. I agree, and I understand that's the way the game's heading and has been for some time now. In the mean time, I'll get accustomed to seeing blokes run around at full tilt and as though it's the first time they've seen a footy.

Couldn't agree more... it's quite a shame

Just like Lethal leigh's recent comments

Half the competition is just blokes who are athletically gifted, and have always excelled at all sports... It's just that they probably weren't good enough to make it pro in most sports, but the AFL allows 600 blokes at a time to make the cut so this is where they have ended up. The ridiculuous manipulations of the rules has only increased it (less biffo, more run etc) It makes real footballers like Valenti less valuable.

It's nice to occasionally see someone who is clearly a footballer in action. For me, I don't enjoy seeing guys like Simon Buckley (sorry) and Clinton Young running around, who have progressed this far due to attributes such as speed before footballing skill or nous. If he plays a few seasons, Valenti will becom a fan favourite.

I agree completely, and as such I am a fan. In fact, I'm a fan of 'pure' footballers (hence my love for McLean) because the pace fad will come and go, but a skilled, smart, tough footballer is always in fashion.

And you can never have too many ball-magnets, even if they are D-Graders ;)

Is Valenti too old to be nominated for the Rising Star?

Not sure mate, but I would have thought Brad Ebert over at Wet Toast would have this weeks nomination in the bag with 20-odd touches and 3 sausages.

I'm looking 4-5 years down the track and mentally assembling a premiership team that can forge towards a flag, and rating those who can be part of that next premiership. I don't see Valenti in that team.

AAAAARRGGHHH!

Pet peeve.

I hate it, absolutely hate it, whenever people talk about 'x player will never be in a premiership team.'

Garbage. Utter garbage. I can't even be bothered elaborating, yet again.

Half of West Coast's list are premiership players, and we're still a decent look-in at knocking them down for the spoon.

Lots of these players have been exposed once a core of brilliance was removed.

There's absoultely no rule that says 'all players must be at least as good as blah' to win a premiership.

It's the cheapest and most meaningless way to write off a player.

I've said it before, but here goes again. Valenti is very, very quick - not of foot necessarily ('though he's not slow) but of mind.

He has a real football IQ, something many in our team lack.

Is he premiership material? Ask me after his first 50m games - not his first half dozen.

And as an aside he is certainly showing more flair for the game than a certain draft pick of a few years ago who's jumper number just happens to add up to his draft pick position.

If Shane Valenti plays 100 games for the club in the next six or seven years, he will have had a good career.

I rate him as a very handy depth player, but not an automatic selection.

Better than Godfrey and Ward, not up to the likes of McLean, Jones, Moloney, Bate, Grimes and Morton. These are the blokes who will form the nucleus of a midfield that will have a tilt at a flag.

AAAAARRGGHHH!

Pet peeve.

I hate it, absolutely hate it, whenever people talk about 'x player will never be in a premiership team.'

Half of West Coast's list are premiership players, and we're still a decent look-in at knocking them down for the spoon.

There's absoultely no rule that says 'all players must be at least as good as blah' to win a premiership.

Spot on DD. It's just like when someone says "how many of our players would get a game at another team".

As you say, there's no prototype to a premiership player.

AAAAARRGGHHH!

Pet peeve.

My pet peeve are footy stupid supporters that get excited by C grade footballers.

Of course mediocre footballers play in premierships, see ex Demons Steven Armstrong and Clay Sampson to name just a couple. But no sides win flags without genuine class in the engine room. Presently, we have no A grade midfielders. The challenge for any team that aspires to win a flag is to assemble a smattering of A grade mids. But importantly those A graders need to be complimented by quality B graders. To give an example of quality B graders I throw up the names Corey Enright, Cameron Ling and James Kelly at Geelong. Now some of the more obtuse on here will even consider them A graders, but in reality they're not. But surrounded by Bartel, Ablett, and Chapman it becomes a very formidable combination and rotation structure.

So, looking ahead, which obviously peeves those stuck in yesterday, one makes opinions on who may potentially in time, with the right development, become our A or B graders. Some here think that Valenti can make that transition. I don't. Now that's not to say that I want him off the list at year's end, or that he won't play 60 AFL games, but I don't see the upside required to become an elite mid in this competition.

Now you may understand the point being made. But I won't hold my breath.

My pet peeve are footy stupid supporters that get excited by C grade footballers.

Of course mediocre footballers play in premierships, see ex Demons Steven Armstrong and Clay Sampson to name just a couple. But no sides win flags without genuine class in the engine room. Presently, we have no A grade midfielders. The challenge for any team that aspires to win a flag is to assemble a smattering of A grade mids. But importantly those A graders need to be complimented by quality B graders. To give an example of quality B graders I throw up the names Corey Enright, Cameron Ling and James Kelly at Geelong. Now some of the more obtuse on here will even consider them A graders, but in reality they're not. But surrounded by Bartel, Ablett, and Chapman it becomes a very formidable combination and rotation structure.

So, looking ahead, which obviously peeves those stuck in yesterday, one makes opinions on who may potentially in time, with the right development, become our A or B graders. Some here think that Valenti can make that transition. I don't. Now that's not to say that I want him off the list at year's end, or that he won't play 60 AFL games, but I don't see the upside required to become an elite mid in this competition.

Now you may understand the point being made. But I won't hold my breath.

Hannabal how is it that you can categorise a player as C grade after just a handful of games. I understand that he is not pacey and is small but diesel williams and to a (much) lesser extent Liberatore was small and slowish. Mitchell, Kirk, Black etc are not C graders though they are not quick. Valenti has shown an ability to get then footy and be creative with it after a few games. This is surely a good sign that he could make the grade. He is not going to break a game open with pace but controlling the stoppages is a very important part of modern footy.

Add 2 or 3 classy midfielders and a a key forward to the side and the team as a whole would have a much better perspective and individual players will appear better pushing them up a grade. This is how a good footy team works. When people get excited about an effective no frills midfielder they are getting excited that one of those important team positions could be filled. Taggers, good defenders etc are not glamorous but very valuable.

22 players it takes to win a premiership. Usually only 1 or 2 are bona fide stars.

I hate comparing players but diesel and libba both hard to work very hard to break into senior footy and needed to consistently excell at lower grades to get an oppotunity.

I like Valenti, I think he will be an important part of the future and will become one of our most consistent weekly performers.

diesel williams and to a (much) lesser extent Liberatore was small and slowish. Mitchell, Kirk, Black etc are not C graders though they are not quick.

This is our hope for Valenti - in the shining rays of light that players like Diesel and Mitchell have provided to the true footballer. If we look at our best young midfielders though (Brock, Jones), Valenti brings some similar (though not identical) attributes to the table. We're desperate for an injection of skill and footspeed into the midfield. Simon Buckley going through a How To Play Football 101 course over the summer would be a good start. He's got the pace and confidence and knows how to find the footy, I just hope he can improve the kicking and decision-making aspect of his game, otherwise we may as well delist him and replace him with Shirvo.

Valenti needs to make himself indispensable to the club by regularly racking up over 25 possessions. Players like Mitchell and Williams forged careers of which accumulation of hard-fought possessions were a feature. Valenti must do the same.

Buckley's kicking at round 17 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>. Buckley's kicking at round 12

Hopefully it continues, i have hope for him. He just needs to channel what he's doing, won't be long before teams figure out his tiny sidestep.

I'm regularly bemused by the comparisons made by supporters. Now Valenti is being compared to Greg Williams and Sam Mitchell. It's folly to compare Valenti to either, especially when it's based on the only impediment thay had - leg speed.

The best handballers I've seen are Greg Williams, Simon Black, and Michael Voss. Sam Mitchell isn't far behind. Mitchell and Williams are/were very clean with their disposal, either by hand or foot. They also have incredible football brains and freakish vision/creativity. I've seen nothing to suggest that Valenti is particularly damaging by hand or foot, or that he has a weopon in the AFL that will set him aside form other run of the mill mids.

He's just another handy C grader. Which is OK, but nothing to tap dance about.

I'm regularly bemused by the comparisons made by supporters. Now Valenti is being compared to Greg Williams and Sam Mitchell. It's folly to compare Valenti to either, especially when it's based on the only impediment thay had - leg speed.

Greg Williams had leg speed?

:o

The best handballers I've seen are Greg Williams, Simon Black, and Michael Voss. Sam Mitchell isn't far behind. Mitchell and Williams are/were very clean with their disposal, either by hand or foot. They also have incredible football brains and freakish vision/creativity. I've seen nothing to suggest that Valenti is particularly damaging by hand or foot, or that he has a weopon in the AFL that will set him aside form other run of the mill mids.

Yes Valenti will improve, its what...... his 5th game?

Consider yourself quoted, "C grader"

I too get frustrated by unrealistic comparisons and if Valenti turns out to be half as good as diesel etc etc. the point is many people had diesel classed as a C grader early on because of his lack of leg speed.

I think it is far too early to call valenti a C grader as it is far too early to call him an A grader. my feeling is he will be better than you think and a consistently good player for us, but time will tell.

And what else are we supposed to compare AFL footballers than with other AFL footballers. When it is suggested hat he is a Sam Mitchell type player it is that he is not quick but wins possession and uses it well bringing other players into the game, not that he is as good.

Slowly re-read and it may sink in.

Either way, give yourself an uppercut.

:lol:

On topic, it was still nice to see a Melbourne player who seems to have a reasonable idea at stoppages (6 clearances). Seems to have adapted reasonably well to the pace of the game after seeming a bit at sea in the first couple of games.