Paul Johnson

rusty_corner

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know bumbre supporters who would agree and would probably trade him for a packet of twisties.

IMO I've seen him go alright as the main man but when Hille plays and LAycock has to play second role, He's worse then siht. We don't have a first ruck so he fills a need. (Or maybe I've just been unlucky and watched the few games he's actually played well and missed all the junk).

I'll vomit in my mouth and hope i choke on it if we pick up Laycock. lol :(

I think you may well have been unlucky (or lucky, depends how u look at it i guess).

I'll vomit in my mouth and hope i choke on it if we pick up Laycock. lol :(

I think you may well have been unlucky (or lucky, depends how u look at it i guess).

:o

Err yuck!

Let's hope we don't pick up Laycock then! Go Warnock I reckon

David Schwarz [THE OX'S BLINDERS AND SHOCKERS] on PJ in Inside Football this week:

Dee Johnson has talent on tap

Getting an opportunity is sometimes all it takes for a player to have the confidence to use his skill and ability to cement himself in his side. Melbourne’s Paul Johnson is one such player. He has grasped his chance after Jeff White was demoted to the VFL. Johnson started his career at West Coast, but played only one senior game. He was then traded to Melbourne where in the next three years he only played another 10 games. Last year he played 16 games and proved that he may could make it as a ruckman or forward in the competition. This year he has probably become the Demons’ No.1 ruckman, but his versatility in being able to go forward is what has pleased most. White has held the mantle as the No.1 big man with Melbourne since 1998, but like all players time has finally caught up with him and the leap that he relies upon is no longer there. Johnson has an enormous amount of skill and watching him against North Melbourne last Sunday it was evident that when he got his hands on the footy something good eventuated. He is very clean at ground level and when given the opportunity has no trouble kicking goals. At 24 years of age he has another six or seven years of improvement in him and knowing that ruckmen take longer to mature there is only upside to his output. Dees coach Dean Bailey has good young players at his disposal and Johnson will play a very big role in Melbourne’s revival. Full credit must go to Bailey for persevering with the big ruckman.

David Schwarz [THE OX'S BLINDERS AND SHOCKERS] on PJ in Inside Football this week:

Dee Johnson has talent on tap

Getting an opportunity is sometimes all it takes for a player to have the confidence to use his skill and ability to cement himself in his side. Melbourne’s Paul Johnson is one such player. He has grasped his chance after Jeff White was demoted to the VFL. Johnson started his career at West Coast, but played only one senior game. He was then traded to Melbourne where in the next three years he only played another 10 games. Last year he played 16 games and proved that he may could make it as a ruckman or forward in the competition. This year he has probably become the Demons’ No.1 ruckman, but his versatility in being able to go forward is what has pleased most. White has held the mantle as the No.1 big man with Melbourne since 1998, but like all players time has finally caught up with him and the leap that he relies upon is no longer there. Johnson has an enormous amount of skill and watching him against North Melbourne last Sunday it was evident that when he got his hands on the footy something good eventuated. He is very clean at ground level and when given the opportunity has no trouble kicking goals. At 24 years of age he has another six or seven years of improvement in him and knowing that ruckmen take longer to mature there is only upside to his output. Dees coach Dean Bailey has good young players at his disposal and Johnson will play a very big role in Melbourne’s revival. Full credit must go to Bailey for persevering with the big ruckman.

That's been in-keeping with what I've been saying. Good write-up by the Ox on PJ. At 24 the next few years will be quite exciting for him.

• 3 weeks later...

They say bigger guys take longer to mature.

Over the last few weeks, it is clear to me that PJ will be in the elite big man class during next.

He can run, kick and he has some real grunt about him.

With all the doom and gloom around lately, I really think we will turn the corner next year and providing PJ can stay fit, we will build solid foundations for a resurgence in the next 2 to 3 years.

I reckon PJ will be very much a part of that.

They say bigger guys take longer to mature.

Over the last few weeks, it is clear to me that PJ will be in the elite big man class during next.

He can run, kick and he has some real grunt about him.

With all the doom and gloom around lately, I really think we will turn the corner next year and providing PJ can stay fit, we will build solid foundations for a resurgence in the next 2 to 3 years.

I reckon PJ will be very much a part of that.

Totally agree. However, I think this thread will quickly deteriorate into a slinging match between those who think he'll be great and those who who think he'll only be good.

"He's so agile for a big man," they'll say.

"Yeah, but he's practically a hindrance in the ruck," the others will reply.

"No way. His taps to advantage are at x percent. He's the next Cox"

"Not a chance. He just doesn't have a real position . . ."

And so on, and so on, ad infinitum.

Totally agree. However, I think this thread will quickly deteriorate into a slinging match between those who think he'll be great and those who who think he'll only be good.

"He's so agile for a big man," they'll say.

"Yeah, but he's practically a hindrance in the ruck," the others will reply.

"No way. His taps to advantage are at x percent. He's the next Cox"

"Not a chance. He just doesn't have a real position . . ."

And so on, and so on, ad infinitum.

You're right Chook, but I intend to remain as positive as I can be.

We are all guilty of having short memories from time to time, but all also know that the dim dark past can quickly become just that.......... a distant memory.

PJ's form has been really good this season - particularly early.

I'm not as optimistic as the OP though, as I still think he could struggle to find his role.

If he was a cricketer, atm I'd describe him as a bits-and-pieces all-rounder with excellent fielding skills.

PJ's form has been really good this season - particularly early.

I'm not as optimistic as the OP though, as I still think he could struggle to find his role.

If he was a cricketer, atm I'd describe him as a bits-and-pieces all-rounder with excellent fielding skills.

So he's Shane Watson? :lol:

I like the analogy though and I agree. He's pretty good around the ground, but if he continues to suck in the ruck, we'd be better off just playing another midfielder.

I like the analogy though and I agree. He's pretty good around the ground, but if he continues to suck in the ruck, we'd be better off just playing another midfielder.

But he is one of our best midfielders ATM :lol:

he is good around the ground. and average in the ruck. the reason he still would get a game, even if warnock comes to the club, is that he is a beautiful kick. he is a chance from anywhere within 50. and his kicking to the forwards is spot on. that makes him dangerous around the ground, rather than just handy. if he can improve his ruckwork even 10-20% he could become a top line player, and amongst the best rucks in the comp. he needs to be able to reak even against the big guns in the ruck, because he is better than most around the ground.

at this stage, i honestly believe that it will be jamar to miss out if warnock comes across, even though he is the better ruckman.

at this stage, i honestly believe that it will be jamar to miss out if warnock comes across, even though he is the better ruckman.

If you believe Jamar will miss out if we secure Warnock, and White retires or moves on, we will be a little short in the ruck stocks won't we? Or are you looking at Naitanui to come in?

he is good around the ground. and average in the ruck. the reason he still would get a game, even if warnock comes to the club, is that he is a beautiful kick. he is a chance from anywhere within 50. and his kicking to the forwards is spot on. that makes him dangerous around the ground, rather than just handy. if he can improve his ruckwork even 10-20% he could become a top line player, and amongst the best rucks in the comp. he needs to be able to reak even against the big guns in the ruck, because he is better than most around the ground.

Even though he is the 'better' ruckman, his ruckwork still isn't that great. Both he and PJ need to improve, so considering PJ has so many other aspects to his game (where Jamar has none), PJ should be kept over Jamar. But I'm not convinced Warnock's coming here, so my guess is both of them will stay anyway.

If you believe Jamar will miss out if we secure Warnock, and White retires or moves on, we will be a little short in the ruck stocks won't we? Or are you looking at Naitanui to come in?

jamar will miss out on a game with the dees if PJ and warnock are fit and playing. he will still be on the list.

He's pretty good around the ground, but if he continues to suck in the ruck, we'd be better off just playing another midfielder.

Watson has hit a 1 day 100 for Aust! <_< B)

Your 2nd statement is correct.

We need Warnock as we cant rely on PJ/Jamar to lead the ruck again.