• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

DEMONS DUMP MACCA- ITS OFFICIAL

Billy Baxter

Sorry if this has been previously posted. Just wanted to hear people's thoughts on Jim saying

"But right now the board that I was able to bring together, as a collective group, we believe we're making the right decision for this football club to secure its future and to save this club in the short term."

I understand the short term sustainability in a business sense, especially (hypothetically) if the AFL is applying pressure for a "quick fix" solution for the MFC, ie. Debt demolition month. Or applying stringent deadlines similar to those that were given to North Melbourne.

However, does this also spell danger for Bails building a side for success approx. 3 years down the track?

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe the removal of McNamee was the right decision and maybe it wasn't, the way in which it was done and his highly probable replacement is nothing short of complete bollocks.

Agreed.

It seems that everytime we try to move forward, we take two steps back.

No matter which way you look at it, something wasn't done right. Either the initial appointment was wrong, or Stynes is not comfortable having anyone under him that is not a hand-picked mate. Either way, this doesn't look good for our club and is yet another reason for the AFL to get their dirty fingers into the mix.

Put simply we cannot afford to make these sorts of stuff ups, and yet we continuously do. How many clubs have had two CEOS, two presidents and two coaches in the last year alone, are on the bottom of the ladder and hemorrhaging money simultaneously? Even the richest of clubs can't cope with so much turmoil, let alone a struggling club like ours.

Looking at this objectively you'd have to admit that....

This is an embarrassment. Regardless of who's fault it is McNamee mightnt have been the right man for the job but treatment like this, immediate termination, should be reserved for employees embezzling funds. We now have a 'stand-in' CEO whilst McNamee takes $115,000 and will this stand in do a better job than someone who has been interviewed, prepped in the job and has experience as a sports administrator? The worst thing out of the this it has been done in such a public and non-discreet nature. It is an embarrassment to Stynes and McNamee and our knife-weilding Board members and an indictment on our club.

Personally i look at Jim Stynes and I don't think he is all that intelligent for somebody making these decisions. Macca's resume is better than everybody at the MFC put together and I think his sacking is premature and highlights Jims stupidity when it comes to making sound business decisions. It's all good to have enthusiasm and passion, but when it comes with the cost of brains cells i'm just not too sure. That said, I dont know Jim Stynes and he could have an IQ of 200 for all i know..but yeh.

Sorry if this has been previously posted. Just wanted to hear people's thoughts on Jim saying

"But right now the board that I was able to bring together, as a collective group, we believe we're making the right decision for this football club to secure its future and to save this club in the short term."

I understand the short term sustainability in a business sense, especially (hypothetically) if the AFL is applying pressure for a "quick fix" solution for the MFC, ie. Debt demolition month. Or applying stringent deadlines similar to those that were given to North Melbourne.

However, does this also spell danger for Bails building a side for success approx. 3 years down the track?

In his press conference, and in an interview on SEN, Stynes emphasised the fact that he thought Bailey was a great Coach, and supported the tack he was taking.

Reports from Connolly at freo was that he was too friendly with the players similar to Daniher.

This still worries me as Football Manager's need to be hard bastards

Get the right people in and get this footy club back on track. The "old boys" network that people are having a bit of a crack at has some pretty handy people in some pretty handy places throughout the business and media worlds. And they are genuine Melbourne people, who have a love of the footy club, they'll bring back those that have dropped off through the best part of 15 years of rubbish.

It's funny how people have bagged our influential ex-players for not getting involved in the club, and when they do, they're bagged for being an "old boys" network.

It's great that we're getting passionate Melbourne people back to the club.

Let's not forget, a key plank in McNamee's flawed strategy - in my view- was to sign a player of the likes of Jonathan Brown, on a 5 year, $5 mil contract. 5 years !!!!

While this may have brought some short term marketing cache to the club, it could not guarantee the long term financial viability of the club.

Let's give Jimmy a chance to get all the right elements together, before final judgement is passed

Having said that, Jimmy and his Board need to clearly articulate their vision and business plan to the Demon faithful............and soon.

This may well be the case, and it wouldn't be surprising if the AFL were involved in the leak. At the same time, the story was unconfirmed until 10am this morning, and we held a Press Conference at 4. The decision was only made last night, despite the rumblings of the last 24 hours. I reckon we handled this one pretty well from a media point of view.

Its been an absolute debacle where we have had the tenure of 2 CEOs determined in the media and not in the Boardroom. I have no doubt from what has been in the media from trusted journalists that McNamee was a dead duck. Sheahan's article effectively decided McNamee's future. The fact that on the one hand that Club is asking supporters to dig deep for $5m and then not release any statement or explanation for 36 hours is poor.

Its been an absolute debacle where we have had the tenure of 2 CEOs determined in the media and not in the Boardroom. I have no doubt from what has been in the media from trusted journalists that McNamee was a dead duck. Sheahan's article effectively decided McNamee's future. The fact that on the one hand that Club is asking supporters to dig deep for $5m and then not release any statement or explanation for 36 hours is poor.

How the hell did you come to that conclusion?

How the hell did you come to that conclusion?

It leaked that the Board had a lack of confidence in McNamee by wanting to appoint a "mentor" over him five or six weeks ago when the new administration first came in.

From the time Sheahan went to Press, MacNamee position as CEO was untenable and was a dead man walking in the role.

Leigh newton is the club's communications manager - well he should also be gone!! the matter in which the whole episode has been handled is disgraceful - a joke!!

we have been the lead news article, again not for our football but our off field shenanigans!! i can just hear the benny hill music being played in the boardroom!!!

listening to Paul macNamee this morning and Jim Stynes last evening, I know who sounded far more creditable!!

Leigh newton is the club's communications manager - well he should also be gone!! the matter in which the whole episode has been handled is disgraceful - a joke!!

we have been the lead news article, again not for our football but our off field shenanigans!! i can just hear the benny hill music being played in the boardroom!!!

listening to Paul macNamee this morning and Jim Stynes last evening, I know who sounded far more creditable!!

I agree with what a lot of people have said about how the MFC handled this. I can't say I am surprised - Mark Williams announced our new coach FFS!

I have to say that I am thrilled Paul McNamee is gone. In my 3 dealings with him, I found him insincere, disinterested and arrogant. I know there is more to the CEO role than how he speaks to a member, and I am sure other memers have had more satisfactory dealings with him, but I for one am thrilled he is out.

The axing of our C.E.O happened for a reason and i have complete trust in the board for taking this step.

I see it as the final piece of the puzzle and crucial to our future success..

I think Shwab will come on board and i know that all three of connolly, stynes, and schwab are very close mates and will bind together to try and prove everyone wrong and get our demons back to being a force....

I know that it doesnt look great... and i know we are out of pocket a bit of $$$$ but it had to be done and we are one recruiting step away from finally being settled.....

look out Demons '09-'10

well yes it does!!!

you dont have to be einstein to know that running a club depends alot on the passion of the board and the relationship they have amongst themselves...

if your C.E.O, President and General Manager of Football is out to dinner two nights a week.....

GOOD NEWS!!

I agree with the Goose if the board / management are not heading in the one direction it will go to pooz!

We dont have time to waste, the decision has been made and I look forward to all those fickle priks out there who praise the decision in 12 mon ths when either Schwab or Fox have saved the day

GO DEMONS

i dont know why people can't just trust the board?

its the first time in a long time where our board has been real, passionate, red and blue blood running characters.... and still people arent happy!!!

mcnamee was not the right man..... and now we can get the right man