DEMONS DUMP MACCA- ITS OFFICIAL

Billy Baxter

Jim Stynes announcement:

"Following yesterday's Board meeting, Paul McNamee's employment at the Melbourne Football Club has been terminated. This termination is effective immediately.

"Paul was appointed by the previous Board of Directors, based on their vision and direction for the Club. Since the appointment of the new Board, we are conducting a thorough review of all aspects of the Club's business. After extensive discussions with Paul, we have determined that a new CEO will be required to execute this Board's plans to take our Club into the future.

"I would like to take this opportunity to thank Paul for his work over the last three months, particularly with regard to our plans for the Casey region, and our ongoing efforts to strengthen ties with the MCC.

"In the immediate future, Club Director Peter Spargo will act as interim CEO. Peter has been a Board member since March 2008. Outside his involvement with the Club, Peter is the Managing Director and owner of family companies associated with the oil industry, and is also involved in property development.

"The Club will now commence the search for a new CEO."

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Our poor on-field performance has been a major contributing factor to our current financial position, so don't feel too sorry for them.

Has it? We all new we'd struggle this year. Properly run clubs are strong regardless of on-field performane. I feel very sorry for Bailey, he is trying to build a strong team within a weak club.

Fellow Supporters,

I started that way to emphasise that we're all in this together. I don't know if the CEO's departure is good or bad but I want to say several things that I feel about this.

1) No company lets on to the members if they are unhappy with the CEO or Gen Mgr or involves the members with their removal.

2) A change in leadership role often sees people leaving by either their own decision or someone else's

3) This is just my emotional reaction; I don't really know what's going on but I'm really happy because I have always thought we have had lame duck leadership (so eg. we hang on to players & coaches too long and can't get req'd things done for years). Right or wrong, Mr Stynes appears to be a real man of action. A head-kicker president at last. (Just like a real football team.)

4) I don't mean this to be inflammatory but I think we are a lot more concerned about what is happening than other team's supporters. (And I admit I feel the same way.) I think that is primarily because we are in trouble.

Bye y'all.

I was never happy with the choice of McNamee, and this decision only confirms my suspicions that he wasn't the right fit to an AFL club. His decision to stay an extra week in Paris, if true, sums up his lack of commitment to Melbourne.

I guess this makes Cameron Schwab a possibility to return?

Has it? We all new we'd struggle this year. Properly run clubs are strong regardless of on-field performane. I feel very sorry for Bailey, he is trying to build a strong team within a weak club.

Lighten up Couga. What Stynes is doing as the blessing of the AFL. There is no way he could do otherwise and expect anymore assistance. Stynes is working tirelessly to turn this club around and that involves ridding us of McNamee. He wasn't from all reports the first choice CEO, but Gardner selected him. He's gone and now so has McNamee. Gutsy work by Stynes and I think you'll find this all turns out for the best. Keep the faith, the club's in the best hands it's been in for a long long time

Our poor on-field performance has been a major contributing factor to our current financial position, so don't feel too sorry for them.

We have a new Coaching and Football administration department with 11 of the 42 players having been on the list less than 12 months. We have come off a disasterous 2007 on field where we underperformed and sacked the incumbent coach and finished the year already $3.5m in debt with the then CEO on notice. Hardly a climate to attract sponsors and members dollars.

While this year has been difficult, to lay the blame at Bailey as a major contributing factor for the current financial position is ridiculous to say the least.

Nice post - I agree with it all.

bb should review #1 :P

This is not MYER or some Private Company..It exists by and for its members. No one expects the day to day tribulations to be aired. ButI DO expect better of a business in its character and ways.

edit:

We have a coup d'etat when the incoming seems to be answerable to no one !! I somewhat disagree with that !!

Clearly something was very wrong with Macs relationship with the MFC.

That said, I'm cheesed off about payouts.

I can easily envisage 1+ million of our current debt being solely related to staff churn.

This must stop.

This is not MYER or some Private Company..It exists by and for its members. No one expects the day to day tribulations to be aired. ButI DO expect better of a business in its character and ways.

edit:

We have a coup d'etat when the incoming seems to be answerable to no one !! I somewhat disagree with that !!

I understand where you're coming from - you took the same tack when Stynes came to power - but I'd like to know how you'd like things to have been handled.

I posted this in the previous thread on McNamee's potential departure, and would be keen to hear from you:

Does Jimmy have plans to replace the CEO ? Is this to be another fait accompli.. for as a MFC member Im getting a little tired of this modus opperandi !! Are there plans afoot by some sculduggery to increase our On-debt incurred by continual 'realeasing of personnel ??

He might have plans to replace the CEO or bring Schwab in as a consultant, as suggested. He might not.

How would you like the Club to go about decision-making of this nature?

Maybe I'm alone, but I don't want a running commentary of discussion on the tenure of staff played out in members emails or constant press releases.

Are there plans afoot by some sculduggery to increase our On-debt incurred by continual 'realeasing of personnel ??

Let me get this straight - are you seriously suggesting that there may be plans to weaken the state of the Club's finances by firing staff and paying out their contract with the purpose not of improving our HR, but to increase debt?

I understand where you're coming from - you took the same tack when Stynes came to power - but I'd like to know how you'd like things to have been handled.

Yes..Im consistent arent I ;) Have no doubt we have a coup. We have NO idea of what is happening other than a 'person's" agenda. We have NO idea what this is. Possibly in answer to your question this person ought to be transparent with his manifesto instead of us all being in the dark and taking it on spec. Maybe Jimmy could have told us his intents. He has told us NOTHING !!

How would you like the Club to go about decision-making of this nature?

Maybe he can explain to we the members exaclty why Macca didnt fit the bill.. what he was doing wrong.or not congruent with his ( Jimmy's ) vision of or forward progresson !! Why should I or anyone take it at face value when that has NO value whatsoever.

Maybe I'm alone, but I don't want a running commentary of discussion on the tenure of staff played out in members emails or constant press releases.

This is hardly an everyday occurrence is it.

Let me get this straight - are you seriously suggesting that there may be plans to weaken the state of the Club's finances by firing staff and paying out their contract with the purpose not of improving our HR, but to increase debt?

He just put us a further 115,000 in debt..!!! for what?? There is no explanation other than he's not one of Jimmy's chosen buddies !!

Big mistake to sack your current CEO and only announcing that your going to find another one. It reeks of on the fly decision making at its worst. What if we find no decent candidates what then! We are paying $125,000 for nothing that is probably close 500,000 worth of revenue wasted. I would of least tried to hold onto him until a replacment was confirmed.

I liked the idea of Jimmy becoming head of the Board but already I think he is a bit out of his depth. My judgement will be reseved though, till after the August debt reduction month.

Really hope he proves me wrong but I doubt it at this stage.

Summary of Stynes press conference:

The new Board has a focus on getting the finances right at the Club. As such, the job description has changed somewhat, and PM's strengths are not strengths the new Board is looking for in their CEO. The decision was discussed last night at the Board meeting, PM was spoken to. Was not announced last night to give PM some time to speak to his family etc, and Stynes then spoke to him again this morning.

Stynes didn't want to go into detail on the reasons why PM was deemed unsuitable as candidate for the next 3-5 years. Admitted that lack of footy experience was a challenge for PM, but there was no major factor - it was a mix of things. Stynes said PM was a good guy, a genuine bloke doing his best after taking a big risk in taking on the job, and hope feels PM finds a new job that suits his strength.

Stynes emphasised that PG and the previous board made the appointment, and Stynes said that he wasn't really part of the process, which disappointed him. Reported that the extent of his involvement was shortlisting candidates and having an informal interview with three applicants (incl. PM and Fox). PG then took over the process, and Stynes was unhappy that he wasn't involved with the latter stages. As such, Stynes said he couldn't comment on which of the candidates was the best choice.

Normal talk about on-field - great group of young guys, very good optimism despite many injuries this year, and on DB "I believe we have a great coach".

I couldnt get to SEN in time..anyone got a precis of what was said. cheers

Maybe he can explain to we the members exaclty why Macca didnt fit the bill.. what he was doing wrong.or not congruent with his ( Jimmy's ) vision of or forward progresson !! Why should I or anyone take it at face value when that has NO value whatsoever.

He just put us a further 115,000 in debt..!!! for what?? There is no explanation other than he's not one of Jimmy's chosen buddies !!

It's unrealistic to expect Stynes to come out and whack PM, which is how it'd have been taken if Stynes went into detail on why they'd decided to remove PM. No one would have been happy if we'd aired our dirty laundry in public, and no one would want to come work for us if we did so.

Lets take a different tack (and I've written some of this on Demonology) -

Assuming McNamee was indeed the wrong man for the job, the Stynes Board should be congratulated for refusing to accept mediocrity, and poor decisions by the previous Board.

Most of the talk has been of doom and gloom, and it might well be the beginning of the end (if it hasn't already begun).

However, I don't see how this is necessarily the case. Perhaps it might be worth entertaining the idea that this could be a very positive move by the new Board.

I couldnt get to SEN in time..anyone got a precis of what was said. cheers

Read my post just before yours :)

PS. Schwarz: PG's time at the Club will be looked back on as one of the darkest times at the Club, and staff morale was very poor.