Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

150 Heroes Named

mikeod

MELBOURNEfc.com.au

Jim Abernethy Frank Adams Bill Allen Stan Alves Syd Anderson Tony Anderson Lance Arnold Ron Baggott Gary Baker Harold Ball Ron Barassi (Jnr) Percy Beames John Beckwith George Bickford Ray Biffin Barry Bourke Harry Brereton Cameron Bruce Keith Carroll Geoff Case Albert Chadwick Noel Clarke Geoff Collins Jack Collins Chris Connolly Bob Corbett Denis Cordner Don Cordner Ted Cordner Vin Coutie Harry Coy Jimmy Davidson Frank Davis Ross Dillon Carl Ditterich Brian Dixon Len Dockett Adrian Dullard Hugh Dunbar Richard Emselle Fred Fanning Jeff Farmer Matthew Febey Steven Febey Dick Fenton-Smith Rowley Fischer Robert Flower Laurie Fowler Maurie Gibb Peter Giles Terry G.Gleeson Brad Green Rod Grinter George Haines Gary Hardeman Henry Harrison Gerard Healy Greg Healy Dick Hingston Paul Hopgood Danny Hughes Anthony Ingerson Eddie Jackson Alan Johnson Bob Johnson (Snr) Bob Johnson (Jnr) Bob 'Tassie' Johnson Trevor Johnson Travis Johnstone Gordon Jones Les Jones Bryan Kenneally Allan La Fontaine Clyde Laidlaw Frank Langley John Leith Andrew Leoncelli Charlie Lilley Wally Lock Harry Long John Lord Andy Lovell Brett Lovett Glenn Lovett Garry Lyon Hassa Mann George Margitich Peter Marquis Bernie Massey Anthony McDonald James McDonald Fred McGinis JP 'Shane' McGrath Bob McKenzie Col McLean Ian McLean Noel McMahen Ken Melville Laurie Mithen Peter Moore Jack Mueller David Neitz Stephen Newport Jack O'Keefe Andrew Obst Gordon Ogden Greg Parke AM 'Joe' Pearce Jack Purse Ian Ridley Guy Rigoni Frank Roberts Russell Robertson Alby Rodda Brian 'Doc' Roet Peter Rohde Alan Rowarth David Schwarz Norm Smith Steven Smith Earl Spalding Stuart Spencer Charlie Streeter Steven Stretch Jim Stynes Tony Sullivan Dick Taylor Ted Thomas Ian Thorogood Stephen Tingay John Townsend Keith 'Bluey' Truscott Geoff Tunbridge Bill Tymms Barrie Vagg Frank 'Pop' Vine Todd Viney Ivor Warne-Smith Ray Wartman Athol Webb Greg Wells Jeff White Sean Wight Don Williams Brian Wilson Stan Wittman Shane Woewodin Graeme Yeats Charlie Young Adem Yze

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Huh, I thought Jackovich was excluded due to a minimum game requirement, yet we've (deservedly) included 33-gamer Harold Ball. <_<

Wow.

I am utterly disgusted at this list

Cameron bruce?

Let's look at Bruces career achievements -

0 Best and fairests

0 All Australian selections

4,783,200 clangers

Absolutely disgusting, and Allen Jakovich should be completely gutted at this joke of a list.

Wow.

Cameron bruce?

0 Best and fairests

4,783,200 clangers

Absolutely disgusting, and Allen Jakovich should be completely gutted at this joke of a list.

So you know more about the game and players abilities than the panel of selectors do you YM? Who cares if you are unhappy with this IMPOSING list of Melbourne players. I told you a while ago that Cam Bruce would be there didn't I? It is very unhealthy your intense hatred of him. You should be very happy that your idol Yze was included. By the way, how many best and fairests and all Australian selections did Jakovich achieve?

Wow.

Cameron bruce?

0 Best and fairests

4,783,200 clangers

This must have been based on rounds 1-3 2005 when he got 8 out of a possible 9 brownlow votes, including a bag of 5 in round 2 V Dogs.

Thanks 'mickrocks' for providing this information. An imposing list indeed. I have been following Melbourne for a long time and I counted 105 heroes that I have seen in action. Not blowing my own trumpet, but of those in my time I did pick 84 of them correctly. I was surprised that Geoff McGivern and Billy Deans did not make the cut. They were wonderful premiership players.

Huh, I thought Jackovich was excluded due to a minimum game requirement, yet we've (deservedly) included 33-gamer Harold Ball. <_<

The minimum criteria for selection were explained at the start of the evening. Generally, they were that a player had to play 100 games or thereabouts but exceptional circumstances were applied where players' careers were curtailed by war. Harold Ball was one such player. He was a member of the club's 1939 and 1940 premiership teams and then, like many of the young men of his time, went off to serve his country in a war where he made the ultimate sacrifice of his life. One of the most moving aspects of the Heroes event last night was the tribute to our fallen who included Keith "Bluey" Truscott, Syd Anderson, Ron Barassi Senior and Harold Ball. There's no question that he was a hero of the club (see A NEW DEAL ).

FWIW, if I had the privilege of being on the selection committee I would have argued that you could also extend the exceptional circumstances categories to include outstanding players whose careers were curtailed by injury. Jakovitch was clearly one such player and there's no doubt in my mind that, but for his back injury, he would have been the first Demon to kick 100 goals in a season and, but for the spate of injuries suffered at the club in the period 1994-7, we might have even won a flag during that time. Unfortunately, in any such process, there are always going to be anomalies.

Wow.

Cameron Bruce?

Lets look at Bruces career achievements -

0 Best and fairests

4,783,200 clangers

I want to say that while checking the facts about Harold Ball I googled his name and the Melbourne Football Club and the first item that came up was the article from Demonland that I referenced above. I was surprised but extremely proud and overwhelmed at the fact that that such a result could be associated with this site.

By the same token, I'm thoroughly disgusted that the likes of YM use this forum to constantly carp and snipe about a player like Cameron Bruce whose form might be down a bit recently but who has done enough in the opinion of many others who I hold much more highly, to deserve the tag "hero" at this club. It's one thing to fairly criticise players from the anonymity of a keyboard (and we support your right to do so around here) but the constant belittling of players who work their bums off for this club is getting beyond a joke.

As a poster YM, you can be amusing some times, but on this subject, you have demonstarted absolutely no understanding of what it means to be a hero, so why don't you just cool it because you're totally out of your depth.

One of the most moving aspects of the Heroes event last night was the tribute to our fallen who included Keith "Bluey" Truscott, Syd Anderson, Ron Barassi Senior and Harold Ball. There's no question that he was a hero of the club (see A NEW DEAL ).

FWIW, if I had the privilege of being on the selection committee

Jack, excellent work. It would have demanded a large portion of your time, which I'm sure was never a consideration given the nature of the task, but I think it's important to recognise the efforts of those that contribute so selflessly to making the MFC a truly great club. (It probably helped that you may have seen most of those play... a little bird told me you were standing in the outer when McGinis kicked his first goal :lol: ).

There was no doubt Bluey Truscott was going to be named, but I was a little apprehensive about the likes of Sid Anderson (52 games) and Harold Ball who each played in two premierships. They didn't play 100 games, but premierships are rare and if you're good enough to play in two... the selection committee got it right.

I'm glad along with Ron Snr they were commerated in a manner fitting these greats of the club.

I'd also like to echo your thoughts about certain posters and their views of players. Such forums allow individuals the right to express their opinions, but with that right comes responsibilities. I'm a firm believer that constructive criticism is essential for improvement, but unfortunately most of the stuff written about players and their weaknesses is the stuff of paper tigers. Rather than sheltering behind the anonymity of a keyboard, such posters need to go out and get some perspective. Either they should pull on the boots themselves, help coach or manage a side or at the very least assist with umpiring. Cheap shots and particularly the vilification of players like Cam Bruce do nothing to further the credibility of certain individuals and indirectly attack the one thing we profess to love.

Wow.

Cameron bruce?

0 Best and fairests

4,783,200 clangers

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

It seems to me that the 100 game requirement was quite constrictive with a number of players that I would neither call heoric or good making the list. Stephen Icke, the single most courageou footballer the club has seen missed out, despite a best and fairest, with the reason obviously being that he played only 78. I think the inclusions of Hopgood, Rigoni and A. McDonald are biased with 100 games and recent time in my mind.

In Celebration of MelbournFC's 111th year since foundation in 1897, 111 heroes of the club were named, plus an extra 40 recent ordinary players who they hope will help sell the book.

There are rumours of another club named Melbourne, founded in 1858, but they obviously were no good since there were no heroes, definitely not Wills and Harrison the several time champion of the colony. If only there was a historian who could write up a real history of this time (Linda please).

And now to consider some of the true greats of the Club. Paul Hopgood, nicknamed God after being able to run above mud in one classic last quarter at a very muddy carlton. A true turnstile turner, as people pondered how late in the game he would be mostly inneffectively brought in on the bench. Most deserving player in a great players book since Paul Callery made the 125 year anniversary book.

Ok, alright, its not all positive, but I must say I'm dissapointed with this list. Too many recent ordinary players. Doesn't cover the 150 years. Why not?

It seems to me that the 100 game requirement was quite constrictive with a number of players that I would neither call heoric or good making the list. Stephen Icke, the single most courageou footballer the club has seen missed out, despite a best and fairest, with the reason obviously being that he played only 78. I think the inclusions of Hopgood, Rigoni and A. McDonald are biased with 100 games and recent time in my mind.

Yes, that and the need to find 150 players - there will always be some 'ordinary' ones when you have to find that many.

Wow.

Cameron bruce?

0 Best and fairests

4,783,200 clangers

and no Sylvia...what a farce.. nearly as ridiculous as the exclusion of both Rugolo brothers

I think if Peter Rhode got in, Allan Jarrott should.

He dominated the half back line for a few years as a much better player.

Also compares well with Hopgood.

Icke missing is a joke as well.

Obviously the alleged 100 game requirement (with exceptions) was stupid.

Guest redandbluethruandthru

Congrats to Brad Green. Hard, tough player with a fierce competitive drive.

LOVE HIM.

I'd take Whelan over Rigoni, Hopgood or Mcdonald A. any day. Maybe even over Matt Febey. I think only injury ruined it for him. Otherwise he would've been a grand final player, and a player in 4 other finals series who wouldve played much closer to 200 games

MELBOURNEfc.com.au

Jim Abernethy Frank Adams Bill Allen Stan Alves Syd Anderson Tony Anderson Lance Arnold Ron Baggott Gary Baker Harold Ball Ron Barassi (Jnr) Percy Beames John Beckwith George Bickford Ray Biffin Barry Bourke Harry Brereton Cameron Bruce Keith Carroll Geoff Case Albert Chadwick Noel Clarke Geoff Collins Jack Collins Chris Connolly Bob Corbett Denis Cordner Don Cordner Ted Cordner Vin Coutie Harry Coy Jimmy Davidson Frank Davis Ross Dillon Carl Ditterich Brian Dixon Len Dockett Adrian Dullard Hugh Dunbar Richard Emselle Fred Fanning Jeff Farmer Matthew Febey Steven Febey Dick Fenton-Smith Rowley Fischer Robert Flower Laurie Fowler Maurie Gibb Peter Giles Terry G.Gleeson Brad Green Rod Grinter George Haines Gary Hardeman Henry Harrison Gerard Healy Greg Healy Dick Hingston Paul Hopgood Danny Hughes Anthony Ingerson Eddie Jackson Alan Johnson Bob Johnson (Snr) Bob Johnson (Jnr) Bob 'Tassie' Johnson Trevor Johnson Travis Johnstone Gordon Jones Les Jones Bryan Kenneally Allan La Fontaine Clyde Laidlaw Frank Langley John Leith Andrew Leoncelli Charlie Lilley Wally Lock Harry Long John Lord Andy Lovell Brett Lovett Glenn Lovett Garry Lyon Hassa Mann George Margitich Peter Marquis Bernie Massey Anthony McDonald James McDonald Fred McGinis JP 'Shane' McGrath Bob McKenzie Col McLean Ian McLean Noel McMahen Ken Melville Laurie Mithen Peter Moore Jack Mueller David Neitz Stephen Newport Jack O'Keefe Andrew Obst Gordon Ogden Greg Parke AM 'Joe' Pearce Jack Purse Ian Ridley Guy Rigoni Frank Roberts Russell Robertson Alby Rodda Brian 'Doc' Roet Peter Rohde Alan Rowarth David Schwarz Norm Smith Steven Smith Earl Spalding Stuart Spencer Charlie Streeter Steven Stretch Jim Stynes Tony Sullivan Dick Taylor Ted Thomas Ian Thorogood Stephen Tingay John Townsend Keith 'Bluey' Truscott Geoff Tunbridge Bill Tymms Barrie Vagg Frank 'Pop' Vine Todd Viney Ivor Warne-Smith Ray Wartman Athol Webb Greg Wells Jeff White Sean Wight Don Williams Brian Wilson Stan Wittman Shane Woewodin Graeme Yeats Charlie Young Adem Yze

it says a lot about our club that the following worthy players are included in the Top 150:

Peter Rhode

Stephen Newport

Paul Hopgood

Biffinator

Didn't Carl Ditterich play for the Saints?

Yep.

St Kilda (1963-1972, 1976-1978) 203 games, 156 goals

Melbourne (1973-1975, 1978-1980) 82 games, 43 goals

Melbourne B&F 1973

Melbourne Capt Coach 79/80