Where were you?

I was actually ill in bed yesterday. I had fully planned to go, but sure as hell didn't want to puke all over the MCC Reserve so i had to watch it on the Tube.

Sometimes the unexpected things happen. Sunday Footy Sucks By the way.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think some people have missed the point of the thread. I'm not asking people to defend themselves. Lets all use some common sense. I mean if you have Sunday junior footy, a family commitment or even had a massive night before and cant stomach walking to the MCG is no-ones business but your own. But that is irrelevant anyway. I'm talking as group. Collectively. I am making a general comment on the fact that I honestly believe that the future of this clubs rests in the hands of the supporters. As as such we need to be there for the good and the bad. In any case, I look forward to watching the Dees play every week, no matter how much I curse, rant, rave and despair at various points in time. Hopefully the majority out there feel the same.

Explaining why you were absent from the game is a perculiar thing to do in the context of this thread imo. Please don't misunderstand me, I am not a bitter member who goes to every game year in year out. And judges people who don't do the same.

For the record, being a MelbourneFC forum, I legitimately believe those on here enjoy going to the footy and do so often. And not only to "support" but for their own enjoyment (hopefully).

And I'd also like to add that the roar of the crowd when Robbo kicked a goal, the cries of delight when Davy stepped on the pedal, the cries for blood when Moloney put Buddy on his ass, the approval from the crowd when Holland came off, the applause for Green and the many other courageous players on who Sunday backed into a pack and finally, the acknowledgement and thanks the crowd (including many Hawkers) gave to our champion Neita, made me as proud as I have been in a long time to support this great club.

Go Dees!

hmm interesting one this...

i agree dont attack newbies or even people who choose to sit in comfort.. their loss..

what i cant get my head around is in the 80's when we were killing em the g was a sea of blue and red..

and under neil we certainly had our moments..

Where are all these people are they dead??

i understand that if you preform they will come...

if i had a choice i would make all the kids that come up to the age of 12 free... lets face it they have to come with adults.. and adults cost more anyway and kids always eat so there should be able profit all around..

the other thing i have noticed is a lot of melbourne supporters dont don the colors... like they are not classy enough colors lol

Rather than everyone defending their right not to go because of football or funerary commitments, and the rest of the people here whinging about finding expletives to use against the rest of our supporters, why don't we start to think of ways to try and get more melbourne fans to the games

i think this would be a much more worthwhile thread that, if we find enough reasons, we can send to the club to be helpful instead of chasing our tails

Rather than everyone defending their right not to go because of football or funerary commitments, and the rest of the people here whinging about finding expletives to use against the rest of our supporters, why don't we start to think of ways to try and get more melbourne fans to the games

i think this would be a much more worthwhile thread that, if we find enough reasons, we can send to the club to be helpful instead of chasing our tails

The article in the Herald Sun today written by Gary Lyon is a very real statement of the troubles with the uneven draw.

Melbourne ,by playing the majority of their games on a Sunday over the last few years, have effectively lost a large number of junior supporters

because they have not had the chance to see their team play.

As a parent , the choice is made for you.

Nearly all of us would watch our kids play their games on a Sunday and therefore

miss Melbourne games.

The club really needs to agitate for a fair draw so we regain those supporters.

Yeah good point. Just watched my taped footy classified (amazing program) and Lyon brought that point up at the end.

IT really is ridiculous. 14 straight sundays, interupted only by Queen's Birthday. Plus opening round, and i think one more. It really is a dead spot. Channel 7 run the footy like crap. Delayed game which they cant get away from quick enough at the end of the game, no analysis or anything.

Plus Junior footy on, how can the club honestly hope to attract new supporters?

Perhaps any Demonlanders who are adversely affected by Sunday matches can write to the AFL also. One night game, and 13 out of 14 Sunday matches really isn't good enough. Let alone the AFL making us play at Skilled and Manuka

I was at my mothers 60th brithday, would've given anything to go to it but family comes first always.

spot on

Noticed that the Blues got just under 30,000 at the Telstra Dome on a Saturday vs the Dockers.

We got just under 20,000 at the G on a Sunday vs the Dockers..

Our membership is considerably less than that of the Blues!!

I have been to all games at the G this year and shall continue to go when commitments allow. It is always a great day - plenty of parking, plenty of seats but more importantly, our crowd is always so loud and passionate!! that day against freo, well it was amazing.... the experience of a day like this is just amazing and shows why we have the best game in the world!!!

there are no easy options - i think we have the right men in charge with connolly and mcnamee.... who knows what the presidency holds but Gardiner continues to hold his head high and promote this club brilliantly!!

I love this footy club, the legends that have pulled on the guernsey and the future players that have excited me this year!!

As always, the problem is the MFC demographic, which is comprised primarily of rich bayside toffs who would rather be at Mt.Buller than be at the MCG.

These people deserve to die in a fire.

Can we safely assume YM that you will be wishing to use Cam Bruce as kindling?

Congrats to all that turned up and what a day, i arrived late with game starting and had to sit in amonst the dorks in the western stand and to see buddy get shaken i knew then the game was on and roared my lungs out for all the highs and lows.

Kicking myself for not seeing the great man of but the boys showed great heart shame we didnt have the support to match them as we were clearly out numbered and outcheered i know in this day and age work and family commitments are making it harder for all along with finances but i do hope evryone can dig deep and buy a membership if you are not already and yes i am only got 11 home games deal but thats alot for someone in between jobs and i have only missed 2 games geelong and adelaide and for support in brissy our cheer squad numbered i think 14 and that figure was given to me by tiketek when i arrived and asked to be seated near melb fans

Lets hope we can show some spine and show the club we are with them

GO DEES

It was a disappointing turnout, and those who stayed home when they could have easily made it to the match, because they thought we'd get smashed, really need to rethink their status as Melbourne supporters.

Sunday was just a great game of football, not just because of the way we played or because we got to farewell Neita.

I actually lost my voice and have yet to regain it... got out of doing a uni presentation which is great ;)

At the end of the day we just don't have a strong enough or large enough supporter group and we have to go find new members, be it in Casey or on Mars. We cannot rely on the majority of people who classify themselves as Melbourne 'supporters' because the truth is they are not really supporting the club in any meaningful way.

I couldn't make it to the game unfortunately.

Roughly how long does it take people to get the MCG, by car or other transport?

Including driving from home to the train station, roughly 40 minutes, sometimes 30. Just depends on which train we take.

[censored] WEEK effort. IF you had the option to come and you didnt than you shouldnt call your self a member.

thats shocking......who made you judge and jury. passion is one thing but that's just plain ridiculous.

and for the record yes i did attend...

I was a little surprised by the 41k odd crowd. I sat in the MCC, second level centre wing; man they are good seats!

I have the MFC membership in addition to the MCC membership.

To my left was like all dees red and blue in the old olympic stand area and then to my right in the ponsford was like all Hawks.

I think one of the other stories coming from the crowd was from a Hawthorn perspective with the club on top of the ladder, flying and a serious flag threat how come they can't get more than 20 - 25k hawks fans there?

God it was a good game and I enjoyed seeing the boys give a bit.

Hahahahahahaha - you are a joke.

Oops. Look like I hit a nerve with one of the bayside toffs.

Its ok, I am sure mummy or daddy will buy you a new car to make you feel better.

Including driving from home to the train station, roughly 40 minutes, sometimes 30. Just depends on which train we take.

See this is where I don't like people having a general go at those who don't go to games.

"It was a disappointing turnout, and those who stayed home when they could have easily made it to the match, because they thought we'd get smashed, really need to rethink their status as Melbourne supporters.'

For me, it's roughly two hours each way to the footy, that's with driving and a train. I wanted to go on the weekend, however I simply did not have the time to spend almost four hours traveling. It makes a big difference.

I realise I'm probably in the minority as most people would live a lot closer to the 'G (and Jaded was probably referring more to these people), but these kinds of sweeping statements frustrate me to no end.

I know the Demons supporters were down on Sunday (Yes, I did go), but when you consider things such as;

1 - Getting beaten by over 100 points by the dorks 8 weeks ago,

2 - The fact that we have only won one game this year,

3 - We only won 5 games last year, and

4 - The match was being televised at 3:00pm on 'free to air' tv.

it's not a wonder there wasn't huge numbers of Melbourne supporters, despite the great mans farewell lap.

After Sundays gutsy performance, there will be MUCH more interest.

When we win, they will come! Selleys will have to produce heaps more "no More Gaps" to fill up the woodwork!

Moose

I realise I'm probably in the minority as most people would live a lot closer to the 'G (and Jaded was probably referring more to these people), but these kinds of sweeping statements frustrate me to no end.

You're right, I wasn't refering to you.

If it takes you two hours to get to the MCG I consider you almost to be a country member.

I fully understand that people's lives get in the way of their dedication to the club, and that's completely normal, but there are plenty of Melbourne supporters who can go to games easily, can afford to buy a membership, and yet they choose not to because of some of the weak reasons posted above by MrMoose. These are the people who frustrate me to no end!