Changes v Tasmanian Hawks

Gouga

Just read a new article before and Bailey got asked about possible changes for this week and he said experienced players Yze and Whelan were in line for a call up due to good form at sandy.

The Ooze returns this weekend? I think he has paid his dues at sandy and from all reports deserves a call up again. We know he is not part of the future somewhat but he is getting paid for this year so we might as well use him here and there and at years end would not be suprised if he followed his mates davids footsteps and hung up the boots also.

Oh and i would really like to see Maric to be able to make his debut against the Hawks.

Likely changes IMO:

IN: C. Johnson (not my preference, but very likely given his VFL performance on the weekend), or Rivers (if fit) or Whelan (if it), or Ben Holland!

OUT: Jamar (omitted)

I have a feeling DB will only make the one change this week, despite last weeks horrendous belting.

Jamar omitted after his one handball performance against the Crows for one of either; Rivers, IF he passes a fitness test; Whelan, probably my next preference if Riv doesnt come up; or most likely, Chris Johnson. CJ dominated in the VFL last week, and DB has stated he will reward good form, so he will most likely come in if Riv or Wheels don't come up. Ben Holland also performed strongly, so could be in line for a defensive spot if needed.

It may even be likely, strange enough as it seems after getting thumped by almost 80 points, that the side goes in unchanged, due to injuries (with the news Carroll has done a hammy) and lack of match-fitness to the guys returning from injury (Rivers, Whelan, Sylvia etc). :wacko:

Defensive Match-ups are likely to look like this, perhaps (if Rivers doesnt play):

Franklin v Warnock

Roughead v Frawley

Boyle v Garland

Williams v Bell

Rioli v Bartram

Warnock has very good pace for his size, is tall enough (193cm) and strong enough to play on Franklin (196cm). He's been alright so far since getting back in. Franklin is the ultimate test atm for a KP defender, would be a great challenge for Matty. I think his pace definitely gives him first crack on Buddy.

Roughead on Frawley doesn't really work- Roughead is too strong in one-on-one body contests. Garland could cover Boyle, who relies more on a lead-mark-goal style than Roughead, but Garland is still too undersized and likely to be exposed if that matchup isolated. Williams v Bell looks a good match-up, but we've seen Williams kick 8 on Bell before. I actually prefer Garland on Williams, think he has the pace to go with him on the lead, and the height to nulify him one-on-one as well. I think he'd be more suited to playing Williams than on any of the big 3 forwards. Bartram on Rioli is a good match-up, but Bartram may go to one of the Hawk midfielders.

Very weak defensive structure if you ask me, even with the ruckman filling the hole in front of Franklin/Boyle/Roughead.

Another possibility is Jamar stays in, and PJ plays back. PJ's a good strength and height match-up and a decent straight-line speed matchup for Roughead, letting Frawley go to the weaker but quicker Boyle, and Garland onto Williams. Making the match-ups look like this (the / indicates second option should the first one fail):

Franklin v Warnock / Frawley

Roughead v P.Johnson / Warnock

Boyle v Frawley / Garland

Williams v Garland / Bell

Rioli v Bell / Bartram

Overall this probably looks a lot more balanced and gives us more flexibility.

The final option is we bring Ben Holland in for Jamar to play in defence on Roughead, and put PJ back into the ruck, dropping into the whole to help out the defence. Holland played well up forward for Sandy last week with 4 goals, he could get a call-up. But he probably isnt an ideal matchup for Roughead (or any of the other forwards for that matter), as he's likely to get exposed for pace on the lead. And Roughead is the slowest of their 3 KPF's!!

Yeah i'd like to see Warnock have a go on Franklin. He's 24 and if he wants to stick around he's gonna have to that kind of job.

Outs are tough because everyone were as bad as each other.

Ins are easier, just a matter of how many come in (in order and if fit) - Rivers, Johnson, Wheatley, Whelan, Carroll, Yze, Dunn, and Holland.

Rivers, Carroll and Wheatley are injured I beleive so I predict Johnson and Whelan to come back for PJ and Buckley.

Not saying I agree, just what I think will happen. Although I would prefer PJ played ruck at Sandy than BP for Melbourne.

Franklin v Warnock, Roughhead v Frawley, and Bell v Williams.

Likely changes IMO:

IN: C. Johnson (not my preference, but very likely given his VFL performance on the weekend), or Rivers (if fit) or Whelan (if it), or Ben Holland!

According to Clint Bartram at the Demonland/Demonology Sponsorship Night CJ picked up 35 possessions in a BOG performance with Sandringham on Saturday morning. As this was probably his third good one in a row, I suspect that he will be rewarded with place in at least the 25 for Sunday and good luck to him because he's worked hard at Sandy and on the training track over the past month.

According to Clint Bartram at the Demonland/Demonology Sponsorship Night CJ picked up 35 possessions in a BOG performance with Sandringham on Saturday morning. As this was probably his third good one in a row, I suspect that he will be rewarded with place in at least the 25 for Sunday and good luck to him because he's worked hard at Sandy and on the training track over the past month.

Demonland how did the night turn out?

Demonland how did the night turn out?

I ... er ... had classes on the night which ran late so I couldn't make it. WJ might write a report for both sites about the night and George on the Outer from 'ology took some photos which will also be posted on the sites. My information about CJ was second hand from WJ but he's still talking about how fantastic the evening was and how all in attendance gained some fascinating insights from Clint about his past, his recovery from his injuries and his aspirations for the future.

I'd like to see

In: Rivers

Out: Jamar

Whilst i'd like to see more changes, i would also like to see what this team can do on home turf against the Hawks and how they can back it up. If Rivers isn't ready, i'd go with CJ or Wheels just because i still think Wheels is our best small defender

Any of the Hawks forwards would run circles around Paul Johnson.

And play who then? Ben Holland? Not any quicker or more agile is he?

If Rivers and Carroll dont come up, like last week, our depth is really stretched. To the people who posted earlier in this topic suggesting that Frawley, Garland or even Warnock and PJ be omitted this week must not realise this, but, without Carroll and Rivers, and to a lesser extent Wheatley, we dont really have anyone else to play tall back... Holland is waaay too slow to play on any of the Hawk forwards, and it would be a huge ask of Stef Martin to come in and debut against probably the best attack in the league. My question to those people is, who else do we have to take the Hawk gun forwards?

I don't particularly like the idea of having PJ back against any of the Hawk forwards either, or as a defender at all, but unfortunately Dean Bailey may not have much choice if things start getting really ugly or another defender goes down with injury. And for the development of the team and the versatility of Paul Johnson the player, it would be more beneficial to play him there than Holland.

Outs are tough because everyone were as bad as each other.

Rivers, Carroll and Wheatley are injured I beleive so I predict Johnson and Whelan to come back for PJ and Buckley.

Not saying I agree, just what I think will happen. Although I would prefer PJ played ruck at Sandy than BP for Melbourne.

Franklin v Warnock, Roughhead v Frawley, and Bell v Williams.

What about Jamar? Not many were (or ever have been) as bad as he was on the weekend...

If Rivers and Carroll dont come up, like last week, our depth is really stretched. To the people who posted earlier in this topic suggesting that Frawley, Garland or even Warnock and PJ be omitted this week must not realise this, but, without Carroll and Rivers, and to a lesser extent Wheatley, we dont really have anyone else to play tall back... Holland is waaay too slow to play on any of the Hawk forwards, and it would be a huge ask of Stef Martin to come in and debut against probably the best attack in the league. My question to those people is, who else do we have to take the Hawk gun forwards?

I don't particularly like the idea of having PJ back against any of the Hawk forwards either, or as a defender at all, but unfortunately Dean Bailey may not have much choice if things start getting really ugly or another defender goes down with injury. And for the development of the team and the versatility of Paul Johnson the player, it would be more beneficial to play him there than Holland.

If it is purely a stopping role miller should be able to do it...he is bloody tall and fast enough and strong enough..if he is tols to scrage buddy and stay as close as his skin all day then there match winner should be out of the play.. then its up to the rest of them..problem is no one has managed to stop him all day anyway even if you had scarlett or someone of that caliber. maybe except that he is going to kick goals and just put someone fast on him that can rebound if he does drop it or fumble .. he does get pretty damn good delivery anyway.. maybe bruce is the man..

I'd prefer to go in with a slightly undersized backline than one full of statues.

Might be worth chucking Bate or Morton back to see whether they can actually play there, otherwise Bruce could probably handle Boyle (he has played well on Richo previously)

Franklin v Warnock

Roughead v Frawley

Boyle v Garland

Williams v Bell

Rioli v Bartram

Franklin v Warnock / Frawley

Roughead v P.Johnson / Warnock

Boyle v Frawley / GarlandWilliams v Garland / Bell

Rioli v Bell / Bartram

Boyle hasn't played for the last month or so i don't think.

My proposed changes are in Holland out Jamar we need a bigger target in the Forward line PJ Should play there and put Holland down back the only problem will be when the Im gunna get better White when he goes forward

Holland shouldn't play down back unless there's a gorilla-forward i.e Rocca, Gehrig. There's no-one in Hawthorn's team that would provide a suitable match up for Holland. If Jamar keeps his spot (which he sholdn't) PJ should play full-forward IMO.

I think they should bring in Newton. If he is okay to play they should play him out of the square with Robbo. Sit Miller and Wona around the 30 metre mark and have Morton/Bate and Davey up around the fifty mark.

We have to find out whether the kids got it.