MATCH REPORT - MELBOURNE v FREMANTLE

Demonland

The only thing that kept me there after half time was the kick on the G with my son after the game. I'd been to every game and had a horrible weekend in Brisbane the week before (got delayed coming home - got back at 2:30am). I'd just had enough. Thank Christ I did. And the bonus was I traded my old guernsey in (that didn't mean much to me) and now i have my most prized possession. A 150 year Demons shirt that I bought on the day of the greatest ever comeback.

S_T Posted Today, 03:39 PM

I fess up.

I actually left after the first quarter alss, BUT I had a really good excuse. My son was playing in the half-time Auskick game at the Dome. We made sure we boosted the crowd by tunring up for the first quarter but then left. I would of course loved to stay and watched it all, but it was also great seeing my son who is in Prep playing against the older kids on the Dome. He kicked the first goal of his game to boot.

We have watched the second half of the Melbourne game twice now. Not quite the same as being there live, but still bloody brilliant.

-- Awesome work ST unfortunatley you missed an amazing 2nd half but understandable. Well done to turn up and add a number to the crowd figure. Almost 20 k was a lot better than expected and will be a profit for us.

I saw the same guy run past me, along the wing, on the 'G after the game. I also saw some kids in Fitzroy jumpers on the ground at the end of the game.

How funny was he?! He had an entire corporate box screaming for him, I had no idea what they were on about until he ambled past, it was gold!

As Melbourne supporters, we would have to be used to that 1st half. I stay for the reasons Dappa outlined - hope amid the carnage.

This year is going to be a tough one and you just have to go with a some mates, or family and have a joke when things are going awfully because you'll go mad if you just sit there at the ground and stew.

But you have to go, you don't want to miss Wonna's excitement, or Cale's smoothness, or Beamer acting like a maniac when things aren't going well, or the act of trying to figure out whether Garland is good or not.

Even if we don't win another game i'll go and enjoy the fledgling careers of those that I think are good enough to push us back up the ladder soon...

We were late getting there as we had something on in the morning. We got there 1/2 way through the 2nd qtr and as we were walking in there was a group of Melbourne supporters walking out. They were all shitty and grumpy - told us not to bother walking in. I told them they were not true supporters and that I hope we could turn the game around and then they would be sorry. It was all good hearted but their parting words were "Not a hope in hell!" Ha ha - serves them right for leaving - they will be spewing they missed it!

It was the first game this year that i took the wife and kids. Their ages are 4, 3 and 10mths, so it is a tough task to try and watch the game and keep tribe under control and mildly attentive, in fact it just about takes the fun out of the whole experience.

At breaking point at halftime, i do recall turning to my wife and muttering something along the lines of "We may as well go home, they ask us to come out and support them and they dish up this crap."

However, we stayed on, and late in the game when my 10mth old was very tired and unsettled i stood to rock him, and the sweet sounds of the Melbourne faithful in rapture must have sent him off into a deep sleep.

So what could have easliy turned out to be a "we are never going to attempt that again" experience, now may become "let's do that agin" instead. What a day!

I said to the Mrs about 2 minutes from half time that we might as well get up and go - I could't bear watching Freo of all teams, [censored] my beloved demons.

My 2 kids said 'no way, we want to have a kick at the end!'

So we stayed and the rest is history!

I wouldn't really have left then, but I wanted to.

Moose

Sounds to me like our new CEO has already done a great thing. Kick to kick on the Hallowed turf saved even a few die hards from Leaving Early. I am now just a little bit confident that the Melbourne Football club will rise to power. Things are Happenning. In the words of Bill Murray from "what about Bob"- Baby steps!

Was trying to convince my mum and sister to leave at half-time. My sister wasn't convinced and wanted to hang around, not because they might've come back, but because she had to meet someone at 6pm and didn't want to have to drive back into the city. Lucky we stayed.

i said at half time...i will not be too upset from here if we lose as long as we have a consisten effort in the second half and knuckle down...when we kicked five straight, if we consistently played well from there but still lost, i would have been upset but still happy with the improvement...it was one of the best days of my life to see the win!

i said at half time...i will not be too upset from here if we lose as long as we have a consisten effort in the second half and knuckle down...when we kicked five straight, if we consistently played well from there but still lost, i would have been upset but still happy with the improvement...it was one of the best days of my life to see the win!

Totally Agree, although after the First Goal in the final Q 30 secs in- I knew we would get 'em. The old Members couldn't believe my Barracking-i didn't care!!

At the halftime break, my dad got a text from a fellow Dees supporter who couldn't make it to the game saying 'Put them all on the long-term injury list', to which he replied 'The second half will be better'. Too right.

But even after we piled on all those goals I was still convinced that it was all too late and that the Dees really were undeserving of a win after the crap they dished out in the first half. I'd also had a premonition the night before that we drew and when the margin narrowed to six points in our favour, I was sure that that would be the case with a quick goal from Freo. Thank god it wasn't!

We have implemented a rule this year that we will not leave unless we are down by 50 or more points at 3/4 time, which is why I've missed a lot of Robbo's goals. ;)

We have implemented a rule this year that we will not leave unless we are down by 50 or more points at 3/4 time, which is why I've missed a lot of Robbo's goals. ;)

Just out of interest, why do you consider leaving at 3/4 time? I can kinda understand the '27-min mark' departure to beat the 'rush' (debatable IMO, wait the extra couple of mins and walk faster to get the same result).

You could miss the greatest mark/goal/quarter of the century, some individual brilliance from your favourite player, etc.

Just out of interest, why do you consider leaving at 3/4 time? I can kinda understand the '27-min mark' departure to beat the 'rush' (debatable IMO, wait the extra couple of mins and walk faster to get the same result).

You could miss the greatest mark/goal/quarter of the century, some individual brilliance from your favourite player, etc.

I work on Sunday nights so if we're down by a considerable margin, I figure I may as well leave then so I'm not as rushed.

i was in QLD visiting my soon to be 5 yearold daughter. had actually booked tickets for this weekend but was politely informed by my ex it was mothers day weekend, so had to go last weekend. to answer would i have stayed .... i backed them in the tip 8 (even if it was each way) . will use part of winnings and ring 'name a game' i look forward to watching the game

We were always going to come in at half time, just to boost the numbers and give the kids their first kick on the G. Got it the car, put on the radio, heard the score and said 'ok, lets not go' but they insisted. Got there at half time and they still insisted. Got to the gate, and the Gatekeeper who we know said how bad they were.

The rest is history!

I took the eldest to the Anzac day game so she could experience atmosphere, but she got a lot more atmosphere from the 20,000 at this game.

Couldn't believe how packed it was on the ground afterwards. Took some photos just to record it. Let them each kick a goal from the goal square but had to leave after being hit first in the chest, then groin, then nose.

For 4 years now I have been going to about 12 games per year with my 2 kids (son 11 and daughter 9), plus a few games without them. From 2004 to 2006 they really wanted to come and we won more often than not.

Last year, however, we left early in the last quarter a few times after a big effort on my part to stay that long - putting up with "can we go" for the previous hour.

This year, my daughter has said that she barracks for the doggies (like 75% of the kids at her school) and my son has been complaining about how awful it is for him being a Melbourne supporter. When they received their MFC kids membership packs, my daughter wasn't even interested in opening hers and my son was so disappointed that he threatened to abandon the MFC and barrack for somebody else. Fortunately he hasn't changed yet.

Anyway, this week they were quite keen (because of the free flag and the kick after the game) and they both donned their Melbourne jumpers and off we went. My daughter lost interest and started the "Melbourne sucks" and "can we go" routine about half way through the second quarter. I told her that if she was quiet we could go at 3/4 time.

Well, by 3/4 time there was no mention of going home early, and in the last quarter, they were yelling wildly, waving their new flags and joining gleefully in the chants after our many goals. We also tried to join in the kick to kick after the game (more like "I can't find our footy") and we all really enjoyed it.

My daughter kept her MFC jumper on all night and went proudly to school on Monday once again a Demons supporter.

What a difference a win makes.

Also, great thinking by the club to hand out those flags outside the ground and for organising the kick on the ground after the game - as a result they might have retained two young demons.

For 4 years now I have been going to about 12 games per year with my 2 kids (son 11 and daughter 9), plus a few games without them. From 2004 to 2006 they really wanted to come and we won more often than not.

Last year, however, we left early in the last quarter a few times after a big effort on my part to stay that long - putting up with "can we go" for the previous hour.

This year, my daughter has said that she barracks for the doggies (like 75% of the kids at her school) and my son has been complaining about how awful it is for him being a Melbourne supporter. When they received their MFC kids membership packs, my daughter wasn't even interested in opening hers and my son was so disappointed that he threatened to abandon the MFC and barrack for somebody else. Fortunately he hasn't changed yet.

Anyway, this week they were quite keen (because of the free flag and the kick after the game) and they both donned their Melbourne jumpers and off we went. My daughter lost interest and started the "Melbourne sucks" and "can we go" routine about half way through the second quarter. I told her that if she was quiet we could go at 3/4 time.

Well, by 3/4 time there was no mention of going home early, and in the last quarter, they were yelling wildly, waving their new flags and joining gleefully in the chants after our many goals. We also tried to join in the kick to kick after the game (more like "I can't find our footy") and we all really enjoyed it.

My daughter kept her MFC jumper on all night and went proudly to school on Monday once again a Demons supporter.

What a difference a win makes.

Also, great thinking by the club to hand out those flags outside the ground and for organising the kick on the ground after the game - as a result they might have retained two young demons.

I hope these threads are being red by the Club Marketing People-The more kids who are signed up as Members the better this club will thrive..

And if the Kick to Kick idea was from our Brand new CEO well he is already doing a top job

When were the flags given out/players outside the gates? I was outside the relevant gates (3+5) ~1:30 and didn't see anything except two guys on stilts.

I also went to the MFC shop before the game to buy a footy from the Club's own shop, and read that CJ and PJ were in attendance from 1:15-1:45 - did anyone see them? If they were there until 1:45, I must have just missed them.