Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Key Position Forward - who do you think we can/should get

melbfc2013

Forget Tippett, go hard at McKernan anyway.

I think he's good on his feet as well. Strong in the air & In packs as I remember.

That highlight reel vs Hawks shows an athletic tall with guts who can mark, chase and kick. Is this his consistent form?
  • Like 1

That highlight reel vs Hawks shows an athletic tall with guts who can mark, chase and kick. Is this his consistent form?

His kicking can be genuinely disgusting sometimes. He almost missed his foot trying to kick a goal from 15m out against us last year I think.

On a positive note, he brings a lot to the table with his size and marking. Would love to get him but doubt we would be a chance to lure him if Tippett leaves.

Sounds good for a guy who cant get a game

Thats the best time to get them. They're cheaper & maybe willing to move.

I wanted Boak & Dangerfield back around 2010. But then again maybe our club wasn't ready for them.

We are on the right track, but need to get some players quick...

I haven't really watched him since U-18's. I think I've only seen him 1 or 2 games since he crossed to Adelaide & I was wondering about his progress, bit I think last year I watched him against us. I thought he was impressive & showed he'd matured a lot. To me McKernan had the attributes back in the U-18's that we need.

I watch very little of other clubs now, as I cant watch the game much, as it is.

So I watch us & Casey.

The U-18's was interesting back a few yrs.

Sounds good for a guy who cant get a game

he does... especially when you consider that he's waiting behind tippett and walker and the form that they are in.

as discussed, a lot depends on what tippett does.

the word on the street is that the more success the crows have the more he is being swayed to stay - which of course is perfectly understandable given how may young stars they have on their list.

Anyway - McKernan has been there since 2009 so you reckon Neil Craig would be in a decent position do decide if he he's worth chasing or not.

No mention of getting sellar to fill the role for 18months IF we go the hogan route?

He started to look half decent towards the end of the year. seems a confidence player and with a bloke like clark revving you up and a couple of smalls turning your crumbs into goals i think he could surprise a few on here.

Still i liked what he did down back and would rather williams or fitzy step up..or even watts i suppose

edit- just mentioned it in another 'who should we get' thread, but it fits this thread also;

I would like to see us throw some players and/or picks at the suns and see if we could get dixon or lynch

Edited by rolly
  • Like 1

Gumbleton only been offered 1 year at Essendon. I like how he plays, I think he kicked 5 against the hawks in a side that got belted. Could be a weapon with Clark. He also seems to be over his injury problems.

I mentioned in another thread that if we were to trade Gysberts, this could be a fair trade.

Two high draft picks that both haven't quite made if for injury reasons. We need tall forwards and they need more midfielders. Could work?

• Like 1

No mention of getting sellar to fill the role for 18months IF we go the hogan route?

He started to look half decent towards the end of the year. seems a confidence player and with a bloke like clark revving you up and a couple of smalls turning your crumbs into goals i think he could surprise a few on here.

Still i liked what he did down back and would rather williams or fitzy step up..or even watts i suppose

edit- just mentioned it in another 'who should we get' thread, but it fits this thread also;

I would like to see us throw some players and/or picks at the suns and see if we could get dixon or lynch

Yeah, sellar does seem like a confidence player, but i dont know if he's the answer at CHF. He's seems to have poor hands when under pressure, and could learn to position himself better/ use his body better in contested situations - particulary when playing forward. He seems to look more comfortable playing down back...maybe he'll be the negating type player if we have to play teams with multiple monster forwards.... watching him play he tends to do well in the first stage of a piece of play and then fumble the next when under pressure, so yeah, im guessing thats an confidence thing that will improve once he gets a few more games under his belt.

i think for a confidence player like sellar - in and out of the team sometimes CHF, sometimes CHB its going to be tough for him.

Fitzy is improving and seems to be a real trier but not sure if he's a natural CHF (he looks a bit awkward at times).

In fairness - i know you suggested these guys as stop gaps until hogan or some other player comes along, but looking at the other CHF's forwards in the comp, i dont know if these guys are really the answer. My opinion is they are at this stage both going to be good depth players, I hope im wrong, but thats my feeling.

The young guys from GC Dixon and in particular Lynch (cant believe we missed out on him by one lousy pic) look terrific, but i don't know if we are a chance to get hold of either.

If tippet does go to GC - maybe we are a chance for Dixon (i dont know his current status in fairness - wether he has resigned or not) given that they'll have Dixon, Lynch, Day as understudy's to Tippett. I suppose a lot will depend on who they want to play in the ruck, now that frazer is gone. for a moment i thought maybe martin may be a trade option to ruck up there - but i dont think that they would let lynch or dixon go for martin.

anyway those are my thoughts...

Edited by melbfc2013

I mentioned in another thread that if we were to trade Gysberts, this could be a fair trade.

Two high draft picks that both haven't quite made if for injury reasons. We need tall forwards and they need more midfielders. Could work?

do the bombers need inside mids, or outside? or both? i read somewhere that they have plenty of young mids but none of them have really come on.

otherwise i reckon that would be a worth a go if the bombers would take it.

Here is a thought, pick up Wellingham this year. 2013 we play Sellar, Fitzy etc end of season 2013 pick up Buddy who is out of contract who was a dees supporter as a kid and play with his beastie Wellingham?

Gumbleton would make a lot of sense. He would not be expensive and wouldn't have to give much for him.

He'd be a great 2nd tall target we DESPERATELY need, because he's super tall (198cm) and his strength is overhead marking. As a 2nd big tall he would compliment Clark.

It would also allow Fitzpatrick to develop at a steady pace, because if he's expected to dominate from round 1 2013 it's not going to happen.

We need to throw the big money at a midfielder. Wellingham the obvious choice for me. Young, tough, skillful, has played in a successful environment. Would make an immediate impact. If cloke signs he is not going to be given a big contract, so offer him $600k, we have no one else to pay, so why not!

I would see our likely current Key Position fwds as: Mitch Clark, Jack Fitzpatrick and (rookie) Leigh Williams.

Very very light on in this area. As 2012 showed with Garland & Rivers in these spots. We need to add minimum 2 key fwds.

Trade period options:

Adelaide: Shaun Mckernan (22)– 23 games in 4 years (6 in 2012). Very agile tall marking fwd. Behind Tippett & Walker.

Brisbane: Aaron Cornelius (22)– given rare chances at Brisbane. 4 years and 22 games (8 in 2012) I rate highly. Tassie boy.

West Coast: Quinten Lynch (29) – he would add some grunt and muscle. At 29, may not see us through but a good 3 years ahead and would compliment Clark in the fwd line.

Mini draft & draft:

WA: Jesse Hogan - 194cms, 91 kgs. Will have 12 mths in VFL, then would be ready to go. Already physically mature build and would have a further 2 AFL pre seaons under his belt. A key to our future.

I would target our pick #45 for a Key Young Forward if we were not able to get Hogan or a good trade deal for Mckernan.

WA: Brant Colledge was a good performer in the under 18 champs. Moves well, very good mark and goal sense.

WA: Tom Lee 194 cms and 94 kgs (21) from Claremont. Good mark, very good kick, ready to go in Round 1 2013.

For me, its get 1. target Mckernan, and yes play CHF and its your spot to lose (Cornelius not far behind). and 2. Jesse Hogan as a priority (swap Pick #3 to GWS in mini draft).

If Mckernan could not be drawn with a 3-yr deal, for a trade for Pick 45, then prioritise Tom Lee with this pick.

Robbie Tarrant could be a good CHF option moving forward, has head scrathing moments but has potential.

Q-Lynch actually makes a ton of sense, much like the Shannon Byrnes thing, we need mature heads to fill some holes for a few years who have premiership experience at great clubs, the big Q fits the bill. Also, imagine matching up on Clark and Lynch? Either one could kill you so you would be mindful getting in their way.

Gumbleton has great hands, that is all he has though.

I believe these 3 could all be attainable.

However most likely is Aaron Edwards for mine, he could be our 2nd leading goal scorer next season no problem, always snags 1 or 2 every game he plays.

Stringer and hogan, plus viney and another mid (wines) would give us a solid, hard at it core for 10+ years

I would love both Hogan and Stringer though it seems quite unfeasible at the moment. Stringer wont slip to 13th, I wouldn't be surprised if Malthouse picks him up as Carlton lack tough KPP. So we would need to use #4 on him and #3 on Hogan to get both.

That would leave us yet again with a lack of midfield depth, pick 13 on Kennedy and 2nd round on Viney. If we can trade for another teams first rounder in the teens we may be able to get a 3rd mid. That could work

do the bombers need inside mids, or outside? or both? i read somewhere that they have plenty of young mids but none of them have really come on.

otherwise i reckon that would be a worth a go if the bombers would take it.

Think that they're after both. Watson is rally the only inside mid of any note that they have. On the outside they've got Stanton, Winderlich, Dyson, drafted Kavanagh etc. So I think they'd find Gysberts really appealing, especially if they miss out on Caddy which I have no doubt they will.

http://www.afl.com.a...59/default.aspx

Mason Shaw/ Jake Stringer with pick 13?

I would love it if Mason Shaw fell to us at Pick 13 but I doubt it will happen. I expect he'll go somewhere between pick 7-11. Stringer could fall to us by pick 13, although for some reason I reckon the Doggies might take him at 6. Plus personally I'm really keen on either Kennedy or Garlett there.

However most likely is Aaron Edwards for mine, he could be our 2nd leading goal scorer next season no problem, always snags 1 or 2 every game he plays.

Issue I have with Edwards is he's only 184cm. He plays like a KPF but he isn't really one. Can't see him making CHF.

I still think short term our best options are either Gumbleton, McKernan or Cornelius or possibly take a punt on Khan Haretuku in the PSD.

How about a possible trade with Essendon:

Aaron Davey for Gumbleton + a pick?

Would free up some cash (however I think Aaron is on a front end loaded contract) for a big name (Goddard, Cloke etc)

And Aaron gets to play with his bro before his body denies him a chance.

How about a possible trade with Essendon:

Aaron Davey for Gumbleton + a pick?

Would free up some cash (however I think Aaron is on a front end loaded contract) for a big name (Goddard, Cloke etc)

And Aaron gets to play with his bro before his body denies him a chance.

Can't see Essendon agreeing to that.

In a thread about key position forwards, why do I keep seeing Wellingham's name pop up???

Also, Wellingham = hipster....... obviously he is failing at life and can g&gf on every single level.

So please no more Wellingham suggestions, I don't want to have to actively despise a Melbourne player... unbearable frustration is all I can handle.