• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Time to Examine Our Injury Crisis

Gooner

I realise that it's way too early to start panicking about our injuries, however, we should consider looking into possible reasons why injuries are occurring.

In my opinion, there are three groups of people who could be causing more injuries than we would otherwise have. I would hate to see Melbourne turn into an underachieving club like St. Kilda did under Grant Thomas.

Firstly, there's the coaching department. They should be examined to assess whether they're training the players in ways that could cause more injury, or over training them to the point in which they become tired and more injury prone. The fitness staff, for similar reasons to the coaching department should also be looked at.

The facilities could be another cause of the problem. If we don't have the ability to assess injuries or aid recovery in the same ways that other clubs do, then we're are automatically at a disadvantage.

Finally, there's the medical staff. They should be examined to see whether they're assessing injuries and ensuring that players don't rush back too quickly.

Please note that this is in no way a post calling for sackings of the coaching or medical departments, simply a consideration that these things should be looked into. We've got the best lot of talent we've had for many years, let's not waste it!

I realise that it's way too early to start panicking about our injuries, however, we should consider looking into possible reasons why injuries are occurring.

In my opinion, there are three groups of people who could be causing more injuries than we would otherwise have. I would hate to see Melbourne turn into an underachieving club like St. Kilda did under Grant Thomas.

Firstly, there's the coaching department. They should be examined to assess whether they're training the players in ways that could cause more injury, or over training them to the point in which they become tired and more injury prone. The fitness staff, for similar reasons to the coaching department should also be looked at.

The facilities could be another cause of the problem. If we don't have the ability to assess injuries or aid recovery in the same ways that other clubs do, then we're are automatically at a disadvantage.

Finally, there's the medical staff. They should be examined to see whether they're assessing injuries and ensuring that players don't rush back too quickly.

Please note that this is in no way a post calling for sackings of the coaching or medical departments, simply a consideration that these things should be looked into. We've got the best lot of talent we've had for many years, let's not waste it!

doing a shoulder or injuring a knee are just part of the go in football.

Geelong had a bad start last year - you either get lucky or you don't.

Most of our injuries are collisions & i don't think the greatest facilities or staff would have made any difference.

If all our injuries were soft tissue related i would be agreeing with you all the way.

Bit like those magnificent Gunners this year-High Impact collisions, they happen.

Maybe we should contact The Gunners to get a few survival tips on how to keep winning with a severely depleted front Half :) :)

Do you happen to mean "do we need a publicized investigation into our injuries already"..???

To assume the club doesn't investigated each and every injury that occurs is pure ignorance.

Also to assume that the club is doing something wrong to cause injuries such as a dislocated shoulder would be completely wrong.

In summation I only have 3 words for you: FIRE BOHDAN BABIJCUK

[that last bit was in jest, for those that don't understand]

I was at the game at Elizabeth and Liam apeared to trip or be tripped by a Crow in a contest for the ball and when he went sprawling out his arm/shoulder took a lot of pressure. Daniel seemed to shoulder Joncock (I think)at a solid pace and hit a brick wall (the man must have cement lining). Sometimes training does have an effect (one year several years ago about 6 of them got groin strain injury and think that coach was sacked) but for others its just bad luck.

AGREE - I have been on this bandwagon for months now- even before these main injuries. However, these 3 injuries to Bell, Morton are unfortunately non soft tissue injuries.I believe your post is definately correct in questioning whether LJ during pre season should have bulked himself up more to protect his shoulders etc..

Most of our injuries are collisions & i don't think the greatest facilities or staff would have made any difference.

Yeah but how many of them are occurring during training vs in game situations? Not much you can do about Bell and Jurrah, but what about all the other blokes out at the moment? I think there's been a tendency on this site to rush to blame the fitness staff for injuries they clearly have little control over, but as we spill into our fourth straight season with a horrific injury list I think the "bad luck" explanation is starting to wear a little thin. Given our recent history with long-term injuries I think it's perfectly valid to question the training techniques and / or injury management processes the club has implemented.

EDIT: Facilities might also be an issue.

Edited by JP_

Gawn - arrived injured

Garland - recovering well from career ending stress fracture

Wonaeamirri - hamstring problems

Bell - dislocated shoulder

Jurrah - dislocated shoulder

Meesen - stress fracture

PJ - stress fracture

Davey - will play round 1

Bate - playing today

Bruce - playing today

Rivers - will play round 1

Morton - knee

Can someone enlighten me as to which of these injuries has anything to do with coaches, fitness staff, facilities or poor management. I think it's time for a lie down.

Edited by Roost It

Gawn - arrived injured

Meesen - stress fracture

PJ - stress fracture

Bate - playing today

Bruce - playing today

Morton - knee

Can someone enlighten me as to which of these injuries has anything to do with coaches, fitness staff, facilities or poor management. I think it's time for a lie down.

Many-( 9 out of the 12).Wona again today. and have a good long sleep.

Edited by jayceebee31

Gawn - arrived injured

Meesen - stress fracture

PJ - stress fracture

Bate - playing today

Bruce - playing today

Morton - knee

for me the most concerning ones are the stress fractures... i can't imagine any other club has had as many issues as we've had with stress fractures over the last 12 months, and i would think these type of injuries have everything to do with our coaching and fitness staff...

for me the most concerning ones are the stress fractures... i can't imagine any other club has had as many issues as we've had with stress fractures over the last 12 months, and i would think these type of injuries have everything to do with our coaching and fitness staff...

Do some research before you tell us what you think.

Do some research before you tell us what you think.

Very quick lie down..... have a longer one and you may realise you are wrong.

A stress fracture is generally an overuse injury. It occurs when muscles become fatigued or overloaded and can not absorb the stress and shock and repeated impact. Fatigued muscles transfer that stress to the nearby bone and the result is a small crack or fracture, in the bone.

What Causes a Foot Stress Fracture

Stress fractures in the bones of the foot are usually caused by overtraining or overuse. They can also be caused by repeated pounding or impact on a hard surface, such as running of concrete. Increasing the time, type or intensity of exercise too rapidly is another cause of stress fractures to the feet, as is wearing improper footwear. Therefore what do we have a football department to do. Shouldn't one of them manage the above?.Or as I have repeatedly questioned..Casey as a training ground maybe TOO HARD of a surface.

Edited by jayceebee31

Very quick lie down..... have a longer one and you may realise you are wrong.

A stress fracture is generally an overuse injury. It occurs when muscles become fatigued or overloaded and can not absorb the stress and shock and repeated impact. Fatigued muscles transfer that stress to the nearby bone and the result is a small crack or fracture, in the bone.

What Causes a Foot Stress Fracture

Stress fractures in the bones of the foot are usually caused by overtraining or overuse. They can also be caused by repeated pounding or impact on a hard surface, such as running of concrete. Increasing the time, type or intensity of exercise too rapidly is another cause of stress fractures to the feet, as is wearing improper footwear. Therefore what do we have a football department to do. Shouldn't one of them manage the above?.Or as I have repeatedly questioned..Casey as a training ground maybe TOO HARD of a surface.

So we have 3 people on the injury list with stress fractures. One returning today. It hardly calls for anything more than normal inquiry done regarding each injury. If anything the fact that Garland has recovered and is playing is testamoant to good injury management. The injury he sustained has ended careers before.

So we have 3 people on the injury list with stress fractures. One returning today. It hardly calls for anything more than normal inquiry done regarding each injury. If anything the fact that Garland has recovered and is playing is testamoant to good injury management. The injury he sustained has ended careers before.

Fair point- however 25% is not good (re 3 out of the 12).Accept point re Garland- however I do not know how bad it was. Naturally bad enough to miss out a year.Meeson continues to break down.Ditto PJ.Wona- continuous hamstrings.Bell- continuous shoulders,Davey- continuous- soft tissue injuries since commencement,Bate- late last year copped injury taken till now to get right- kicked first goal today.Bruce had many injuries ,even missed 2000 G/F.Rivers-missed nearly 2 years of football- re soft tissue injuries.Jurrah- too light- should have had more meat on him. These are my opinions. Dispute facts?

Therfore continuous - I question management.. Don't you ?

There's not enough time in the world to go through all the awful, mind-bogglingly ridiculous things said in this thread.

The bit where a player missing one game through injury in his rookie year 10 years ago being used as evidence for a present problem was really special though.

Fair point- however 25% is not good (re 3 out of the 12).Accept point re Garland- however I do not know how bad it was. Naturally bad enough to miss out a year.Meeson continues to break down.Ditto PJ.Wona- continuous hamstrings.Bell- continuous shoulders,Davey- continuous- soft tissue injuries since commencement,Bate- late last year copped injury taken till now to get right- kicked first goal today.Bruce had many injuries ,even missed 2000 G/F.Rivers-missed nearly 2 years of football- re soft tissue injuries.Jurrah- too light- should have had more meat on him. These are my opinions. Dispute facts?

Therfore continuous - I question management.. Don't you ?

I give up

it is a high contact collision game for god sake, do not blame the club.

Blame the club for other stuff maybe but not these injuries.

It is just rotten bad luck-and it is purely RANDOM...every year it's random.

Can't believe what i am reading in this thread.

Wonna probably did his hammy because he was trying so hard to impress he over did it. Don't blame the club.

Now Ben Cousins Round 1 last year is a club fault.

But not our injury list-it's totally Random, and these days players hit harder with the extra pace in the game.

Stress fractures-usually big heavy blokes running continuously-that's the game.

I've just realised what the problem is, it's the Demonland banner.

Of the 7 players pictured, only 1 is yet to suffer from some type of injury this pre-season. It's the curse of the banner... oh my god! :blink:

By God Watson, I think you have it.

Get Jones wrapped in cotton wool now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.

Edited by Redleg