Next Year

Courtney_Fish

I'm guessing that there will be quite a clearing of players at the end of this year. There will be quite a maturity vacuum and lots of money available for the salary cap for 2009. That being the case I expect that there will be a big name recruit; someone that gets supporters to the games and will also make some of our players stand taller. Jonathan Brown fits but there are others. But I guess there will be more than 1 good established players lured.

There will be pressure on Bailey but if he's communicating well with the board they will stick with his vision and not listen to his critics. They will take the attitude that he's making changes that have to be made to turn the club around.

I don't understand enough about the draft but if we get extra picks we may see big changes to what our team looks like.

Also I listened to Stynes being interviewed and he sounded to be coming around to the idea of running for the top spot.

I really think of our current players there will be hardly anyone left over 25. I can see Neiter staying on not because he would be a great forward but just for his strength and maturity. But I can see him retiring before this season is over as well.

What do others envisage?

I'm guessing that there will be quite a clearing of players at the end of this year. There will be quite a maturity vacuum and lots of money available for the salary cap for 2009. That being the case I expect that there will be a big name recruit; someone that gets supporters to the games and will also make some of our players stand taller. Jonathan Brown fits but there are others. But I guess there will be more than 1 good established players lured.

There will be pressure on Bailey but if he's communicating well with the board they will stick with his vision and not listen to his critics. They will take the attitude that he's making changes that have to be made to turn the club around.

I don't understand enough about the draft but if we get extra picks we may see big changes to what our team looks like.

Also I listened to Stynes being interviewed and he sounded to be coming around to the idea of running for the top spot.

I really think of our current players there will be hardly anyone left over 25. I can see Neiter staying on not because he would be a great forward but just for his strength and maturity. But I can see him retiring before this season is over as well.

What do others envisage?

Neitz will retire this season no doubt. Yze will be another certainty to retire.

I think we will cull Jamar, Chris Johnson, Garland,Warnock amongst others.

I also think they may put up Green or Bruce as serious trade bait.

It will be interesting to see what White and McDonald do as they will be required players.

Miller was signed amazingly for 2 years, so will be here next year.

hopefully we will seesomething like Bruce and top draft pick for Jonathon Brown.

At the very least we will get Natanui by the looks of things so far.

The hard thing to do here is differentiate between the things that you want to happen and the things that you think will happen.

I think that these things will happen

Neitz to retire, Holland to retire, White maybe retires. Warnock delisted plus a couple more who are on the last year of their contract.

Wonaeamirri elevated, Spencer, Zomer and Valenti retained, leaving two rookie spots, three if Yze ( and White? ) goes.

Somebody over 25 with some trade value traded - Green, Bruce, Wheatley ...

Draft as many more quality kids as possible.

I think next year our list will be the youngest in the AFL and we might just win a game.

I've become slightly less optimistic about 2009 then I was in February of this year

I am expecting another tough year results wise, but with far more highlights. I expecting our defensive set-up to steadily gel into an effective unit...albeit that they will get swamped from time to time because our forward set-up will still be in disarray.

Colin Sylvia will have a fantastic year...ideally for Collingwood - after all he is Strauchnie without the fat.

As for gaining a marquee player like Johnathan Brown...I just can't see him coming to the MFC, sure we have the salary cap capacity, but I think A/ he would stay with Brisbane or B/ he would want to play for a Vic club that will guarantee him finals exposure.

We may, holding our breath re the new franchises, be in a position to recruit a star like Natanui...that would be exciting.

Otherwise I will be looking forward to the development of the Wonaemirri, Maric, Spencer, Martin, McNamara, Morton and Jack "Get Well Soon" Grimes.

As for gaining a marquee player like Johnathan Brown...I just can't see him coming to the MFC..

We dont have a good record with obtaining marqee players. A Collingwood supporter mate told me that the filth have offered Brown $1.20m a year for 3 years!!! They certainly have room in their salary cap.

Why would Jonathan Brown want to come to the MFC? What do we have to offer him. The captaincy? A rebuilding list that wont be ready to win a flag until he is on the verge of retirement??

If it comes down to money (ala Judd) the Magpies will get him. They have cap room to burn~~~~

Don't get me wrong, would love big JB, but i cannot see it happening.

no marquee player would want to come to melbourne bc we are too far off a flag.

our best bet is to trade astutely and try to get a guy that will improve a specific area of our game.

Cameron Wood to Collingwood was an example of a really clever trade which filled a hole in their team. we should do likewise

Youre very much on the money there Sylvinator I feel. The goal ought to be to maixmise what value any player is.. This has only one of two connotation going forward. They are either keepers. Ther are this if they show potential or are absolute requirements going forward into a competitive team in say 2-3 years time. OR.. they have market value. We have a very very poor record at making use of an assett. Many players have been kept far too long.

If we take 2-3 years as the measure of this team then who really of the (and I use this very loosely ) upper echelon are still going to be at their ripest at that time...not now...then ??

Very few of the so called older mob will be of use then. Id clear near most of the team ( over 26) if possible if tradable. Id put up Green, Bruce.. Carrolll ( if any takers ).. put up Miller (again !!! ) Id even put up Beamer.. ppl we're unlikely to ever see the player he migh tbe..just reality. Doubt we'd have takers for Wheats..( and he's a littel useful ) . Id also put up the problem children.. let them be someone elses problem !!

Take what you can get..and go spend them credits on a team of the future.

far too much sentimentality at Melbourne..

MFc need to be ruthless...no holes barred..ruthless

Time to trade.. ..not sell the farm...just give it a good plough!!

At seasons end we will more that likely lose Neitz, Holland, Yze and maybe White all retired, if all 4 go that will free up say 800,000 to a mil then elevate McDonald and Robbo to Veteran status will push this over 1mil. We can buy any player that wants to leave, the big question is would they want to come to us. Our attention should go to get Robbie Warnock and Ashley Hansen back from the West that solves ruck and CHF problems, one of these would be good.

We can buy any player that wants to leave, the big question is would they want to come to us. Our attention should go to get Robbie Warnock and Ashley Hansen back from the West that solves ruck and CHF problems, one of these would be good.

Interesting points Dr.D. Our only certainty in the ruck stocks next year are: Johnson.P, Spencer.

White will in all probability retire, Jamar be delisted. Meesen has only just arrived at the MFC but he has been in the system 4 years already and sadly I think we may have made a blue here. Stef Martin I think will develop into a backman who can pinch hit as the team's 3rd ruck option on the day.

Thats a pretty thin ruck cupboard, bugger all room for injuries.

At the end of the season, however the draft pans out there will be some head scratching to do Natanui V Rich V Hurley.

As far as the football department is concerned the midfield coach would be the one most under the microscope...we get our fair share of possession but seem to lack the system / cohesion to do anything constructive with it!

no marquee player would want to come to melbourne bc we are too far off a flag.

our best bet is to trade astutely and try to get a guy that will improve a specific area of our game.

Cameron Wood to Collingwood was an example of a really clever trade which filled a hole in their team. we should do likewise

Like Judd went to Carlton on the cusp of greatness :rolleyes:

Any marquee player coming to MFC would want to come and would want to do so without having to rely on the assurity of waiting on the PSD outcome. If for example a J Brown were available and that was known then there would a bigger struggle to come last that to come first on the ladder. We would have to do what was done with Judd. Negotiate a trade to ensure his passage to MFC.

Marquee players dont come onto the market often. Prior to Judd, it was Hall. We cant rely on a marquee player being available.

PSD pick 1 always picks up a useful player.

ruck problem could be solved this year if we get Naitanui.

Naitanui and PJ ruck combo would be great

Here are the PSD # 1's since 1993.

1993 - Richard Osborne (Sydney Swans)

1994 - Dermott Brereton (Sydney Swans)

1995 - Paul Roos (Sydney Swans)

1996 - Brian McInnes (Fitzroy

1997 - Stephen Paxman (Port Adelaide)

1998 - Jamie Shannahan (Melbourne)

1999 - David Calthorpe (Brisbane Lions)

2000 - Shane O'Bree (Collingwood)

2001 - Brett Voss (St Kilda)

2002 - Aaron Lord (Geelong)

2003 - Stephen Powell (St Kilda)

2004 - Jade Rawlings (Western Bulldogs)

2005 - Trent Knobel (Richmond))

2006 - Dylan McLaren (Carlton)

2007 - Cain Ackland (Carlton)

2008 - David Gourdis (Richmond)

Aside from O'Bree, Rooos and Voss, its been a very ordinary and unrealiable source of footballers.

If we got Naitanui he is unlikely to be ready to be a top flight AFL ruckman for a couple of seasons as he matures. And before you throw Kruezer he has played one good and one serviceable game. Its a long season on a young body.

Aside from a little footage I have seen of Naitanui, I am unable, (just like most of the posters who do comment), to provide a knowledgeable preference of any of the three.

I'll leave to the MFC footy department to decide in due course

Aside from a little footage I have seen of Naitanui, I am unable, (just like most of the posters who do comment), to provide a knowledgeable preference of any of the three.

I'll leave to the MFC footy department to decide in due course

OK, I read up on some of the reports / blogs etc [reliability always an issue] and started to realise that Natanui is not as clear-cut a choice as initially appeared.

Sounds like Rich is a midfielder who can shown he can perform in big matches and has the ability to turn a game off his own boot....talked up by some as the next Michael Voss.

But then, considering we are crying out for KPP there is Hurley...and a VIC so won't get homesick....Dr.D et al...any thoughts on who would be best draft pick for the MFC?

Where does the idea (certainty in the minds of some posters apparently) come from that White will retire at the end of this year?

I realise he is out of contract but he will only be 32 next year - not particularly old for ruckmen in recent history. I'm by no means sold that we should retain him (and in any event would only do so on significantly less money), but retiring?

OK, I read up on some of the reports / blogs etc [reliability always an issue] and started to realise that Natanui is not as clear-cut a choice as initially appeared.

Sounds like Rich is a midfielder who can shown he can perform in big matches and has the ability to turn a game off his own boot....talked up by some as the next Michael Voss.

But then, considering we are crying out for KPP there is Hurley...and a VIC so won't get homesick....Dr.D et al...any thoughts on who would be best draft pick for the MFC?

'DeeReaming', hurley is a talent, BUT, he ia primarily made his reputation as a defender, not overly tall, about 192cms, (6'3"), & is playing forward a little it seems this year.

We have some players atm of this size that can play forward roles, Bate, Dunn, Newton.

WE really lack any sort of Power Forward, we still need to recruit more forwards so we can choose the best & trade the rest, but again like I called for last year re L Henderson, lets get some thoroughbred 196cm type forward.

Yes I know we recruited S Martin who I talked up all last year whilst he was a Sandy boy but he's support staff atm.

And Zomer is a rookie who is a kid needing to be taught a lot to make up for deficiencies.

I'm talking thoroughbreds, 2 from the top 20 picks, (priority pick or earlier &/or 2nd pick).