• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

James Frawley

Lord Travis

I didnt follow the pre-season as vigorously as previous years, but I dont remember anything about Frawley being injured.

It concerns me that he isnt able to get a game with our current abysmal team. Players like Garland, who while they may turn out to be decent players, currently look like flailing [censored]. The fact that our top draft pick from 06 draft cant crack it into the team over him and many others is a worry! Many people had penciled him in as FB, or in the back pocket next to Carroll until he'd put on the mass to take over as FB. That is after all what he was drafted for!

My question is where is he?

Was he injured over pre-season and only now working back to match fitness? I read he played for Sandy and was average. Is he fully fit and in poor form?

For those who have seen him, has he put on any weight? N. Brown from Collingwood was drafted 3-4 places earlier than him, was only 1kg heavier when drafted, and is now 95kg and looking like a real man competing against J. Brown and Pavlich! Where is Frawley? Why does our club always struggle to develop the talent properly? Have we wasted another high pick :wacko:

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

He's a key defender in his second year. You don't think it's just a little early to be worrying about having wasted a draft pick yet?

I believe he missed some of the early pre-season, but should be well and truly fit by now. He's not showing much yet, but I reckon that's the least of our worries at the present time.

How many key defenders are "special"?

Is Darren Glass special?

I agree and i read somewhere Frawley played 9 matches last year and 4 of those we won.

There's no doubt that Frawley is a disappointment. He has pace, an ability to back himself, is an adequate mark, and yet the club prefers Garland in one of the weakest defences in the league. Garland is A Grade Amateur level.

Who knows what the future holds for Frawley, but I'll be mortified if we've wasted a first round pick in the Super Draft. That said, I reckon he'll be a player. But right now he's not reading the play well, not running off his man, not aggressive, and just looks down on confidence.

I didnt follow the pre-season as vigorously as previous years, but I dont remember anything about Frawley being injured.

It concerns me that he isnt able to get a game with our current abysmal team. Players like Garland, who while they may turn out to be decent players, currently look like flailing [censored]. The fact that our top draft pick from 06 draft cant crack it into the team over him and many others is a worry! Many people had penciled him in as FB, or in the back pocket next to Carroll until he'd put on the mass to take over as FB. That is after all what he was drafted for!

Was he injured over pre-season and only now working back to match fitness? I read he played for Sandy and was average. Is he fully fit and in poor form?

For those who have seen him, has he put on any weight? N. Brown from Collingwood was drafted 3-4 places earlier than him, was only 1kg heavier when drafted, and is now 95kg and looking like a real man competing against J. Brown and Pavlich! Where is Frawley? Why does our club always struggle to develop the talent properly? Have we wasted another high pick :wacko:

James Frawley should never get another senior game. He only played last year because we had no-one else!!! He kicks the ball like i did in Grade 3 and is 5 minutes behind the play. I reckon his cousins would have been a better bet (Danny's girls or even Anita for that matter!!!) He's another Chris Johnson bit worse!!!

I like frawley, and if most of you look back on last year you'll see he beat his man more often then not.

That's just plain wrong, he beat his man about twice. Was consistently destroyed by his opponent.

Currently being crushed by various clueless Melbourne supporters who think he is either a mistake, a disappointment, or just plain crap.

He'll come good. He has a lot of elements to his game that we desperately need, pace being one of them. I too am a bit confused as to why he isn't getting a game. But given his height and given that he was drafted as a key defender, I think he still has a bit of time on his side.

Perhaps Bailey has a plan in mind?

And can people please stop confusing a strange kicking action with an inability to kick? Frawley can kick and can hit targets, we just goes about it in a very strange way.

How many key defenders are "special"?

Is Darren Glass special?

Frawley should be carving it up at Sandringham, given he was pick 12 in a 'super draft'. If he's battling away at Sandy and just 'going'...it's not much cause for excitement there is it?

Having said that he should be in the seniors over Garland. Cannot work how Garland has warranted a spot in the side over Holland and Frawley.

He'll come good ?...maybe

Last year I thought he showed a bit..had some promise. What has transpired since is he's all sixes and sevens ..a little all over the place. I really havent seen to much to get excited abou t. To be honest.. anyone half way decent ought to be able to break into our line up...he hasnt !!

For me he has only 20 games to show something

Frawley should be carving it up at Sandringham, given he was pick 12 in a 'super draft'. If he's battling away at Sandy and just 'going'...it's not much cause for excitement there is it?

Give him a chance. There has only been one Sandringham game so far this year, and from BFBR's report, its not like he played badly.

Nathan Brown from Collingwood, was languishing in the Williamstown reserves side for parts of last year, and only really showed something at the start of this year

Plenty of time

I also was there Sunday...saw nothing to get excited about.. thats just what IS !! :mellow:

Anyone wanting to play AFL..ought to 'shine' at VFL level. He seemed just another player in the midst

He seems to get out-thought!! at AFL you will get crucified for that

BB59, I remember going to see Sandy take on box hill last year I think. Saw Mitch thorp and buddy. Both were crap - milked easy possessions, did not follow their man, beaten in one -on- one contests and were clearly physically overpowered. What should I have made of that?

Frawley is young and as good physical attributes. Suppossedly has good mental attributes for footy. Hid kicking is ugly but effective. He was also injured a lot last year and has some sort of limit this year. I'd be suspending judgement for a little while.

Developing in Sandy like he should be. He was crucified several times last year as ND tried to save his own bacon (and understandably so) by putting Frawley on opposition players who were much more experienced and physically imposing than he, presumably on the off chance that Frawley would be one of those freakish footballers who plays at top level from Game 1.

He's not. He was soundly beaten and made some bad mistakes. He also showed a lot. He's a keeper with huge potential. He needs to develop his game.

Before this season, Garland and Weetra were largely unknown potentials. Now we're getting a clearer idea of where they are at. Barring critical injuries, Frawley will be in the side in 5 years time - Garland and Weetra may well not be.

Let's find out if they'd like to.

He should develop to be an ok player but he is not suited to a KP role and was taken far too early in his draft.

I disagree, he is 1 cm taller than Glass and Scarlett and will fill out.

Let me ask you - how many key defenders are starring at 19 years of age?

give the bloke some time to develop. He has the attributes. Micky Martin played 300 games with two premierships. and people thought he was complete rubbish when he first started. You do not have to be a superstar, but you do have to learn the game.

I would rather him come in later , when we are a little more cohesive in our play and he isn't on a hiding to nothing.

Martin had a reasonable footy head about him. I just havent seen it yet on James !! Still ..a year may be the difference. Hope he gets there..if not...next !!

I would rather him come in later , when we are a little more cohesive in our play and he isn't on a hiding to nothing.

Agree with all of your post Bay but particularly the above line. Our current key defenders have the hardest gig in the AFL at the moment thanks to the absolute pasting the blokes in the middle are getting. I'd much rather see senior players Carroll and Miller* bear the heat rather than throwing a skinny 19 year old to the wolves.

* Please nobody take this as a cue to turn this thread in to a Miller bashing thread.

I disagree, he is 1 cm taller than Glass and Scarlett and will fill out.

Let me ask you - how many key defenders are starring at 19 years of age?

give the bloke some time to develop. He has the attributes. Micky Martin played 300 games with two premierships. and people thought he was complete rubbish when he first started. You do not have to be a superstar, but you do have to learn the game.

FFS, height has nothing to do with being able to play in a Key Position, if it did Keplar Bradley would be the best going around and Brereton would have been nothing.

What, exactly, are the attributes that Frawley possesses that automatically make him such a great KPP? One on one he's nothing special and he can't read the play in the same way as Scarlett or Glass.

The reality is that he has shown nothing to suggest he'll make a great FB.

I was talking to James on family Day telling him I would like to see him play on by buddy in the first game.

I first impression was a kid without any confidence in his ability.

I hope my first impression was wrong

Agree with all of your post Bay but particularly the above line. Our current key defenders have the hardest gig in the AFL at the moment thanks to the absolute pasting the blokes in the middle are getting. I'd much rather see senior players Carroll and Miller* bear the heat rather than throwing a skinny 19 year old to the wolves.

* Please nobody take this as a cue to turn this thread in to a Miller bashing thread.

So we have to protect poor little Frawley because he is skinny but it's perfectly ok to throw Cale Morton 'to the wolves' even though he is 4 kg's lighter and the same height?

How precious has this football club become?

He's in his 2nd year and he wasn't bottom age, and considering our complete lack of KP talent he should making a statement about his future, if he's as talented as alot of Melbourne fans believe. In reality he's just going at Sandy and not displaying anything to suggest he'll be great at anything. I'd love for him to prove me wrong because we desperately need a halfway decent tall defender but as it stands he's heading in the same direction as the vast majority of the other KPP's that Craig Cameron recruited.

So the same doesn't apply to Garland?

P.S.- Miller sucks bla bla bla :P

So we have to protect poor little Frawley because he is skinny but it's perfectly ok to throw Cale Morton 'to the wolves' even though he is 4 kg's lighter and the same height?

No, we have to protect poor little Frawley because he is skinny and he is going to continually have his arse handed to him in defence from our lack of midfield pressure. There's nothing to be gained by that.

It's different for midfielders and Morton has the opportunity to be part of the solution. Frawley would just be a victim of the problem.