• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Next week's selected team

joeboy

As far as next weeks side goes, we need to bring in someone who can kick to a target. Sadly, that means Garland is out, he turned the ball over far too often.

Morton was not super, but he tackled and tackled and tackled- something some of our so called "leadership group" failed to do all day. When i young guy is out there chasing down every player even when the are 100 points down, that says somthing. Morton plays next week!

We need a runner out of defence, bring in Matty whelan. He can hit a target, tackle and run. These ingredients were missing against the hawks, and run out of defence is much needed- it beats this handballing garbage that gets us into trouble.

Rivers is a required man in the back six. He can hit a target, and reads the play well.

Colin Sylvia must come in, adds polish and is a harder player to shut down than green/bruce.

McLean was alright, needs a few more but he will step up after this belting.

Brad Miller, ummmm I think it is time buckets had a run in the back 6 again. I still think Miller can develop.....I am just not sure how it can be done.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Next week I suggest:

Backs: P.Wheatley, N.Carroll, Bartram

Half backs: D.Bell, Rivers, Dunn

Centreline: Morton, B.McLean, Davey

Half forwards: C.Bruce, B.Miller, Green

Forwards: Holland, D.Neitz, R.Robertson

Followers: J.White, Moloney, N.Jones

Interchange: P.Johnson, Garland, McDonald, Buckley

In: Bartram, Rivers, Holland, Dunn

Out: Petterd, Yze, Newton, Weetra

All four ins played for Sandy today and early reports said they played alright. At this stage I assume Bate will still be out with a hammy and Sylvia was at the MCG today so I suspect he is under an injury cloud.

As for the outs:

Yze - You are an experienced AFL footballer and you are in the leadership group. Last year I was willing to cut you some slack because of injury, but today, logic suggests you would have gone into the game as physically fresh as you are ever likely to be playing footy at your age. I don't expect you to set the world on fire, but other than waving your arms around you showed very little in the way of leadership. If we are going to get beaten like that then we may as well give a young bloke some experience.

Newton - Ben Holland has about a third of your natural physical ability but he gives his all. Like Yze, go back to Sandy and earn your place back in the side. If you want to know where you are falling down - one word - toughness.

Petterd - You have real footy ability and nous, but you got your pants pulled down today and with the players returning next week you too will have to fight your way back through Sandy.

Weetra - A very good first up effort in my books. I don't underestimate how hard it would be to play well in your first game in a side that got so badly beaten. But again the return of some players means you have to make way. You showed enough today to hold your head up high and you now have a taste of AFL footy. Play really well at Sandy and demand a spot back in the team.

I dont know why you are taking out Petterd Weerta and Newton. These guys did OK IMO. A lot better than some did. Newton tryed hard. People are saying that he did not chase but he sure did. I watched him going after his opponent on every occasion. The only time i didn't was when he was cramping and his opponent had the ball yet he still tryed to give chase. The only thing i would like to see Newton do a bit more of is lead. Most times yesterday he would point in the air and just run fowards slightly. I did not see him lead much which he did against Carlton in round 14 last year and did so well. But he did try hard so i would not be taking him out. The delivery to the forward line was shocking anyway. I would give Petterd another go and also Weetra, I thought Weetra did some nice things.

Go Dees.

Simple team for this week - the Bullies are a bit smaller and we need pce around the middle. Miller was good yesterday but he is a lead up forward who can open the forward line

Whelan Frawley Bruce (on Brad Johnson)

Bell Rivers Dunn

Buckley Chris Johnson Petterd

Green Miller Robertson

Weetra Neitz Morton

Meeson McLean Jones

Johnson Davey Bartram Grimes

Sylvia would be in but isn't available - Holland would be in the backline if it wan't the bulldogs - sorry no white, no Yze, no McDonald. Moloney - we have too many of this type of one paced player already

Dropping all the senior players won't solve anything, their issues are ingrained from a long time ago.

So we should keep them in the side and reward their attitude and ineptitude? :wacko:

Dropping the younger players is only going to slow our development further. Besides, if you make a scapegoat out of Weetra, Garland, Petterd, etc... you are never going to teach the players anything, you will only disappoint and alienate the young players who, may not be perfect, but who try as hard as they can.

In: Bartram, Rivers, Dunn, Sylvia, Whelan, Bate

Out: Garland, Yze, Robbo, Morton (will be a good player if he isn't snapped in half), Miller, Weetra or Wheatley

White starts on the bench with Petterd, Green and Weetra/Wheately

Whelan to get a lot of bench time

Whelan Carroll Bartram

Bruce Rivers Bell

Moloney McLean Buckley

Bate Dunn Sylvia

Newton Neitz Davey

Johnson Jones Junior

So we should keep them in the side and reward their attitude and ineptitude? :wacko:

Dropping the younger players is only going to slow our development further. Besides, if you make a scapegoat out of Weetra, Garland, Petterd, etc... you are never going to teach the players anything, you will only disappoint and alienate the young players who, may not be perfect, but who try as hard as they can.

That's exactly right. You can't expect first and second year players to develop if they only play AFL for one week at a time. Meanwhile, Jeff White should be so ashamed of his pathetic performance yesterday, he should nominate to play with Sandy until he improves. That was the worst I've ever seen a so-called 'Number 1' ruckman play yesterday.

Newton was the biggest disappointment for me: he was incredibly slow, applied little to no defensive pressure and was too concerned about taking a speccie than kicking a goal.

What's wrong with Frawley? If he's fit, maybe he should come in for Carroll, who looked hopeless yesterday. I know it's not his fault the ball was delivered so well, but he was beaten almost every time in one-on-ones. Next week Frawley will get some young Bulldog forward (some guy called Hill??) which could be a good opportunity for him to play as a key position backman.

Mclean was trying.

Yep...he was very TRYING !! some of the worst decision making Ive seen from him !! woeful. Any effort comes to naught if you deliver poorly.. Hospital handballs and some passes of dunious direction. Want his best by a long shot

B: Bartram, Carroll, Whelan

HB: Bell, Rivers, Petterd

C: Bruce, McDonald, Green

HF: Robertson, Miller, Sylvia

F: Davey, Neitz, White

FOLL: P Johnson, Jones, McLean

I/C: Buckley, Dunn, Jamar, Moloney

In: Bartram, Dunn, Jamar, Rivers, Sylvia, Whelan

Out: Garland, Morton, Newton, Weetra, Wheatley, Yze

*Bell to take Welsh

*Carroll to take Johnson

*Rivers to take Murphy

*Miller, Robertson and Sylvia to led up to half forward

*Davey and White to play deep and stay there!

Id reckon there are more than a few deserving an outting with the Zebbies before Weetra.. More than once he attempted and sometimes effected a spoil.. He was one of the few actually who seemed on the ball..just a little off the boil.

Leave him

That's exactly right. You can't expect first and second year players to develop if they only play AFL for one week at a time. Meanwhile, Jeff White should be so ashamed of his pathetic performance yesterday, he should nominate to play with Sandy until he improves. That was the worst I've ever seen a so-called 'Number 1' ruckman play yesterday.

Newton was the biggest disappointment for me: he was incredibly slow, applied little to no defensive pressure and was too concerned about taking a speccie than kicking a goal.

What's wrong with Frawley? If he's fit, maybe he should come in for Carroll, who looked hopeless yesterday. I know it's not his fault the ball was delivered so well, but he was beaten almost every time in one-on-ones. Next week Frawley will get some young Bulldog forward (some guy called Hill??) which could be a good opportunity for him to play as a key position backman.

Against the Doggies mobility is a big issue, height less so. But we need to be mobile at both ends of the ground..

Whelan Frawley Carroll

Bell Rivers Bartram

Johnson.P Jones McDonald

Buckley Dunn Morton

Davey Miller* Sylvia

Green Neitz Maric

I/C Martin, Moloney, Weetra, Pettard

Out: White, Yze, Bruce, Wheatley, Garland, Newton, Robertson

In: Rivers, Whelan, Dunn, Bartram, Sylvia, Maric, Martin

rationale:

Forward line

1/ Move Miller to CHF so he can lead up towards the centre and be the link man we so sorely missed last week * last chance saloon

2/ Neitz stays at FF to make the contest...bringing it to ground for the likes of Davey, Sylvia & Maric to run on to.

3/ Robbo out...Miller to CHF and Green to FP to improve mobility of forward line

4/ Newton out...Maric to get some game time and provide roving option.

5/ Yze out...to make space for Bartram

6/ Bruce out....to make space for Dunn, Dunn also provides cover for CHF if frosty flops

7/ White out....Martin...comes in to pinch hit in ruck [yes this means a long day for PJ] but more so to plays periods at FB & CHB as a learning process

8/ Garland out....Whelan in [try Garland up forward in due course]

9/ Wheatley out...Frawley in

Special training drills....Juice & Robbo to ballet classes...learn to stay on your feet!

Apologies to McNamara who would be first emergency

It's about time I had some fun:

B: Whelan Carroll Dunn

HB: Bartram Bell Rivers

C: Morton Buckley Moloney

HF: Sylvia Miller Robertson

F: Davey Neitz Newton

R: Johnson Jones McDonald

I/C: McLean Jamar Wheatley Green

OUT: Bruce, White, Yze, Garland, Petterd, Weetra

IN: Jamar, Whelan, Dunn, Rivers, Bartram, Sylvia

Assuming Bate is not ready.

I can't believe the number of posters who want Morton out of the team for next week's game- why? I listened to the game on the radio and he was the only Melbourne player that the commentators had anything positive to say aboot all game. Rookies(particularly 1st rounders) are supposed to be thrown in the deep end to see whether they will sink or swim and yesterday he swam while the rest of the players and coaches drowned. He is the light at the end of our tunnel and for as long as his form and fitness hold's, he should stay in the team. Maybe next week they can try him on one of the Dogs tall running players like maybe Hahn or Murphy to see what his motor and creativity is liike

LOL @ everyone dropping Morton and Weetra

Two kids that had a dip and provided a contest at various stages.

Kudos to thos who dropped Cameron Bruce

I really don't care who comes in but out should be

Green, Green, Green, Green

He should have been flooged off 2 years ago - no heart!!

I think you meant Bruce

Id reckon there are more than a few deserving an outting with the Zebbies before Weetra.. More than once he attempted and sometimes effected a spoil.. He was one of the few actually who seemed on the ball..just a little off the boil.

Leave him

Did anyone else notice whether he actually injured his ankle during one of those spoils...the trainer came out to him and he never seemed to move as freely after that.

No, no, no, Morton and Weetra must not be dropped - they both played well (seriously)!!!

As for McLean: someone on SEN (can't remember) said his 28 touches were the worst they had seen.

And I must admit the bloke was really off song. He seemed to playing at 1/2 speed all day. What's wrong with him?

No, no, no, Morton and Weetra must not be dropped - they both played well (seriously)!!!

As for McLean: someone on SEN (can't remember) said his 28 touches were the worst they had seen.

And I must admit the bloke was really off song. He seemed to playing at 1/2 speed all day. What's wrong with him?

Was Dermie. Brock got a lot of possies in junk time.

In - Rivers, Dunn, Bartram, Holland, Sylvia, Meesen, Frawley, Maric

Out - Bruce, Yze, White, Miller, Carroll, Davey, Garland, Robertson

B - Bell Frawley Holland

HB - Wheatley Rivers Petterd

C - Dunn Jones Buckley

HF - Weetra Newton Sylvia

F - Maric Neitz P.Johnson

R - Meesen Moloney McDonald

I/C - McLean Green Morton Bartram

In - Rivers, Dunn, Bartram, Holland, Sylvia, Meesen, Frawley, Maric

Out - Bruce, Yze, White, Miller, Carroll, Davey, Garland, Robertson

B - Bell Frawley Holland

HB - Wheatley Rivers Petterd

C - Dunn Jones Buckley

HF - Weetra Newton Sylvia

F - Maric Neitz P.Johnson

R - Meesen Moloney McDonald

I/C - McLean Green Morton Bartram

Just silly to suggest White won't be playing number 1 ruck. firstly, he deserved to be in the team above Meesen, and secondly realistically he is ahead of Meesen.

Green should be left in. He kicked a good goal and looked like he was trying (some of the time anyway)..

YZE played the worst game of football I've ever seen him play.. back to sandy (2nds?)

Morton was really good but was too skinny - I kep cringing whenever he was near the ball, for fear he would snap.. Bruce was rubbish but should be given another chance (see if game time can improve him).

Davey was played out of position.. He should only be played as an attacking winger / half forward

Junior was another disappointment.

We were too short in defence.. maybe Meeson to the backline??

Carroll and Miller were average but perhaps not to blame.

Petterd had a dip and SHOULD NOT be dropped

White was disapointing but did get a lot of taps - he can improve

Robbo/Newton/Maclean need to work on fitness - looked underdone

Jones should be our next captain

B: RIVERS, CARROLL, BELL

HB: BARTRAM, HOLLAND, WHELAN

C: BUCKLEY, JONES, DAVEY

HF: BRUCE, MILLER, PETTERD

F: ROBERTSON, NEITZ, NEWTON

FOLL: P.JOHNSON, SYLVIA, MCLEAN

IC: DUNN, MCDONALD, MOLONEY, WHITE

EMERG: MORTON, GREEN, FRAWLEY

INS: Bartram, Holland and Whelan always have a go unlike a lot of so called leaders at the club.

Rivers is a quality player. Dunn and Sylvia have strong bodies.

OUTS: Yze should retire now so we can promote a rookie.

Wheatley is a dud and is 1 of many reasons why we are so ordinary.

Weetra and Garland aren't even at VFL level should never have played.

Morton is a bit unlucky but If Davey and Bruce can't prove their worth in the next couple of weeks he should come straight back in.

I've had enough of Green he should be our best player considering his age but he continues to be ordinary was unsighted until we were 80 points down.

Green has never been a great player for us and is slow at least Bruce and Davey have been good players for us over the years. At least 1 of them must be dropped to wake up the whole list because there will not be much of a surprise if Yze, Wheatley and the kids get dropped.

BORDERLINE : If Davey plays another game like that he must be dropped he was ordinary last year and has to find form fast.

I would give Bruce a couple of weeks because he has just come back from injury but like Davey he must find form fast.

I would like to say that Robbo is borderline but we simply don't have a young kid who can replace him. Robbo must learn how to chase.

Miller must play forward while Bate is out.

LEADERSHIP : The club talks about our Geelong style of leadership but I don't see Geelong with 5 players over 28 in their leadership group they only had 1 player over 28 in their premiership team. We must forget about Neitz, Yze, Bruce, Robertson and McDonald they are at the end of their careers our leaders must be between 22 and 28 because they have to be our core players not our 30 year olds or 18 year olds. Bailey has made a massive mistake by allowing the players to pick a mates club or training track heroes he must take control by dropping some big name players and addressing the leadership group which is a joke he said the leadership group can change anytime it must change now I hope he has the balls to do it or he will have a very short coaching career.

Green should be left in. He kicked a good goal and looked like he was trying (some of the time anyway)..

YZE played the worst game of football I've ever seen him play.. back to sandy (2nds?)

Morton was really good but was too skinny - I kep cringing whenever he was near the ball, for fear he would snap.. Bruce was rubbish but should be given another chance (see if game time can improve him).

Davey was played out of position.. He should only be played as an attacking winger / half forward

Junior was another disappointment.

We were too short in defence.. maybe Meeson to the backline??

Carroll and Miller were average but perhaps not to blame.

Petterd had a dip and SHOULD NOT be dropped

White was disapointing but did get a lot of taps - he can improve

Robbo/Newton/Maclean need to work on fitness - looked underdone

Jones should be our next captain

All of that is 100% correct.

I've had enough of Green he should be our best player considering his age but he continues to be ordinary was unsighted until we were 80 points down.

Green has never been a great player for us and is slow at least Bruce and Davey have been good players for us over the years. At least 1 of them must be dropped to wake up the whole list because there will not be much of a surprise if Yze, Wheatley and the kids get dropped.

Green was not the worst yesterday. He ran all day at least, which is more than Davey and Bruce did. The problem with Green is that he is being played out of position, he is a forward not a midfielder. Stick him in a pocket so he can lead to the ball, and he will kick 40-50 goals a year no problem. Pointless argument you make anyway, because Green will not be dropped regardless of what you say.

For what its worth my changes would be:

In: Rivers, Bartram, Whelan, Sylvia, Dunn (Bate if he is ready)

Out: Miller, Yze, Garland, Weetra, Morton

I dont like dropping Weetra and Morton as they both showed enough yesterday - but Weetra copped a knock so he could use a week out, and Morton has had a taste now. Let him work his way back, get some match fitness at Sandy.