Melbourne v Bulldogs Game Thread

Sydney Pennski

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is when it gets a bit serious, we are playing a side a lot closer to the best 22. In saying that, i predict that most of our key players will be used sparingly just to ease them back into it.

Ok. I'm pumped. Diablo and Mrs. (well, Ms.; we're not married) Diablo will be off to Bendigo tomorrow afternoon to see the boys give the mutts a toweling.

We've seen the squads, and had some heartening news in the form of Neitz, Brockstar, and Chopper (nothing to do with his haircut, apparently) Carroll amongst the inclusions for this week. It gives us some experience along the ground, particularly in the forward line and down back, where our squads from the previous two weeks have both been a bit bereft of recognised ability.

Chook is perhaps the biggest inclusion, as yet again we all have high hopes for the young man (I think he's older than me actually) this year. As such, he is the first of the players I will be keeping a big eye on (though I anticipate he'll get limited ground time). Brock has alot to prove and the will to do just that. I'll be interested to see if he flies out of the blocks given the anticipation and the substantial pre-season he's had up until his minor knee niggle.

Secondly, one of the youngest players in the side, Cale Morton. After reports put his stat count somewhere in the mid-late 20s for the game against the ferals (admittedly I had no idea until today), I'll be very keen to see him go about his business tomorrow night. Firstly, to see exactly what he can do against AFL players, and, secondly, to see if he can back up a big game last week. Often, the biggest challenge for young players is their inconsistency, so he can be forgiven for a quiet game tomorrow, but I'll be watching him anyway. You hear me, Cale? ;)

Lastly will be our Capitano, Mr. Neitz. Again, I suspect he won't get too much time on-field, seeing as it's his first real hit-out, and he's an old bugger :). But without Brian Lake (I doubt I'll get used to that too quickly) in the dawg's lineup, Neitz should definitely have some opportunities up forward. Will be looking for him to kick a couple and take half a dozen marks. I expect that he'd expect no less from himself.

Anyway, I'll be in contact with Jaded with scores and a few significant points (but hopefully nothing as utterly worthless as the 'Match Notes' Channel 10 put up at each break in their telecasts) tomorrow night, so hopefully with that, and anybody else who keeps in touch, you guys who aren't able to make it will be able to keep up with the game. My reporting will be very Demon-centric, as, quite frankly, I don't give a tossle about what the dogs are doing.

My reporting will be very Demon-centric, as, quite frankly, I don't give a tossle about what the dogs are doing.

We can also say that it appears the Doggies fans don't give a rat's either.

I decided to check up on their fan sites just in case they might be a source of information this evening and came across two of them:-

1. Bulldogs Barking at http://www.thebulldogsbarking.com/portal/ and

2. Sons of the Scray http://www.sonsofthescray.com/

However, I got the same result when I tried to log on to both sites:

Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage

Most likely causes:

• You are not connected to the Internet.
  • The website is encountering problems.
  • There might be a typing error in the address.
So that's it. The Bulldogs' sites are cactus, much like their footy team will be tonight.

PS: Looking forward to the scores Diablo!

The parallel i see between Valenti and Godfrey isn't so much about their ball skills as such but more the way they go about there footy, without seeing alot of Valenti I just think he seems to have that same determination and work ethic that Godfrey had to make the most of the skills he has.

You would never claim Godfrey was a naturally talented footballer but he had a crack and worked bloody hard to earn every game he played in the red and blue which is more than you can say about some of our more naturally skilled players of the past. Valenti will do the same work hard and earn his spot in our team - by years end i'm tipping.

The parallel i see between Valenti and Godfrey isn't so much about their ball skills as such but more the way they go about there footy, without seeing alot of Valenti I just think he seems to have that same determination and work ethic that Godfrey had to make the most of the skills he has.

You would never claim Godfrey was a naturally talented footballer but he had a crack and worked bloody hard to earn every game he played in the red and blue which is more than you can say about some of our more naturally skilled players of the past. Valenti will do the same work hard and earn his spot in our team - by years end i'm tipping.

There is no doubting that Godfrey worked hard and his efforts and training ethics were admirable. And your right you wish some other more talented players would have had the same application. However the end of the day Godfrey was a player who was at best a fringe player who was let down in some critical aspects of his game.

I hope Valenti if he get his chance is better than Godfrey otherwise I find little to get excited about. However, I admire Valenti for grabbing his opportuinity with both hands. Its far more inspiring than a talented bludger who just blows the opporunity and wastes precious talent.

From what I've seen of Valenti at Sandy, he and Godfrey are like chalk and cheese.

Valenti is a natural footballer, who reads the game well, has good disposal and decision making skills.

Godfrey may have been a workhorse on the track, but apart from manning up on his direct opponent, his renowned fitness was not utilised on the field. Never saw him run down and tackle the opposition. Never saw him run hard to get loose from his opponent, and be an option. He had a strained look on his face that made it look like he was going flat out, but for mine, his work ethic on the field was overrated.

Godfrey may have been a workhorse on the track, but apart from manning up on his direct opponent, his renowned fitness was not utilised on the field. Never saw him run down and tackle the opposition. Never saw him run hard to get loose from his opponent, and be an option. He had a strained look on his face that made it look like he was going flat out, but for mine, his work ethic on the field was overrated.

Godfrey had a large tank but no pace and it is no wonder he did not run players down or run off them. Having seen Valenti at Sandy a couple of times, thats my big concern with him. You get punished in the AFL for those shortcomings

Godfrey had a large tank but no pace and it is no wonder he did not run players down or run off them. Having seen Valenti at Sandy a couple of times, thats my big concern with him. You get punished in the AFL for those shortcomings

Any chance of having the game thread a 'sticky'. It would be great if it was also locked so that the only comments on it were either score up dates and notes about the game by those in contact with the sources. That way I and others wouldn't have to read the calibre of posts which include "go Bater", or "come on Dees", or "yeah Davey goals", or "Maloney (sic) is on fire !!"

It would be great to not have to sift through the barracking and just get the facts. The rest can come later in separate threads.

Do you know what I mean ?

Any chance of having the game thread a 'sticky'. It would be great if it was also locked so that the only comments on it were either score up dates and notes about the game by those in contact with the sources. That way I and others wouldn't have to read the calibre of posts which include "go Bater", or "come on Dees", or "yeah Davey goals", or "Maloney (sic) is on fire !!"

It would be great to not have to sift through the barracking and just get the facts. The rest can come later in separate threads.

You're a snobby bugger H, but I admire your class.

Miss-spelling Moloney was a nice touch, sadly it's all too true

My brother Ding is making the trip to bendigo to give the supporter sites some eyes in the crowd, and i will be at the p.c to enter the info for you all like last week.

I will try to post info both here and ology, if the congestion isnt too bad.

No disrespect to my son Nick, but Ding will be better at providing matchup details etc.

My brother Ding is making the trip to bendigo to give the supporter sites some eyes in the crowd, and i will be at the p.c to enter the info for you all like last week.

I will try to post info both here and ology, if the congestion isnt too bad.

No disrespect to my son Nick, but Ding will be better at providing matchup details etc.

You and Ding are champs for doing this work. I hope MFC reward your efforts with a good exhibition.

Thanks

that's really made my day mate..... years ago I would've done the travel too.... i did one a few years back during the bushfire season.... this time around, your brother needs to watch out for snow......

GO Dees!

Ding has sourced a second phone, so that we can maintain verbal comms for most of the match. (if it comes through clear enough)

Can somebody please open a new thread for me to post scores and details on?

Ding will call me just before the match and try to give an idea of inclusions/omissions and starting positions etc.