Brad Green, last season?

stevethemanjordan

I feel and have felt for sometime that Brad Green really should be playing for his career with Melbourne this year.

The final against Carlton in 2000, where we saw a glimpse of our future with Green and Bruce leading us over the line... what a day that was !!!

I believe Bruce is a quality player and has delivered as a player since then. Green however, (apart from having the odd great game here and there), really hasn't done a great deal.

Green should be a played as a perminant forward, just as he was in the Carlton game in 2000. (He reminded me of Lloyd at times in that match)

He should not be played in the midfield. He is far too soft and he plays like a forward playing in the midfield !!!

He was one of the few senior players that played against Geelong on the weekend and I barely remember seeing him touch the ball. The set shot he kicked really showed where he should be playing. Forward pocket !!!

I would like to hear other peoples opinions on this issue.

Cheers.

I feel and have felt for sometime that Brad Green really should be playing for his career with Melbourne this year.

The final against Carlton in 2000, where we saw a glimpse of our future with Green and Bruce leading us over the line... what a day that was !!!

I believe Bruce is a quality player and has delivered as a player since then. Green however, (apart from having the odd great game here and there), really hasn't done a great deal.

Green should be a played as a perminant forward, just as he was in the Carlton game in 2000. (He reminded me of Lloyd at times in that match)

He should not be played in the midfield. He is far too soft and he plays like a forward playing in the midfield !!!

He was one of the few senior players that played against Geelong on the weekend and I barely remember seeing him touch the ball. The set shot he kicked really showed where he should be playing. Forward pocket !!!

I would like to hear other peoples opinions on this issue.

Cheers.

You must have got the names mixed up

By 'Brad Green' I think you meant 'Cameron Bruce'

Green softt? Umm, no. Did you see the marks he took running with the flight of the ball last year? Gutsy. He had a very good 2007. And his footskills are needed, as is his ability to play forward, in the middle or off the back flank

As for Cameron bruce - yes, this could be his last year as a Demon if he doesnt pull his finger out. Lazy, soft and the worst kick in the comp

So I assume thats who you were talking about

Green softt? Umm, no. Did you see the marks he took running with the flight of the ball last year? Gutsy. He had a very good 2007. And his footskills are needed, as is his ability to play forward, in the middle or off the back flank

As for Cameron bruce - yes, this could be his last year as a Demon if he doesnt pull his finger out. Lazy, soft and the worst kick in the comp

So I assume thats who you were talking about

That was two years ago now.

Green plays within himself now.

He needs to put his body on the line a bit more. I think Bruce and Yze will need to this year as well.

Im a wrap for Greeny but our experienced players need to show some desperation when the real thing starts.

afaic.... both ought to be aware there are kids coming up...with eyes on their spots.. probably hungrier too !!

There are no favours I think this year... everyone needs to pull weight...or I think Bails will have no hesitation in letting them accumulate time on the pine !!

is going to be an interesting year :)

Go Dees

Don't agree he's playing for his career but do support taking him out of the midfield.

I think everyone gets a bit clouded in their judgement when they think of Green's foot skills.

His got a fantastic set shot but IMO he puts a bit too much air when he kicks the football in general play. Doesn't do enough damage with his field kicking. Much prefer 4 kicks. 4 goals.

And i thought we already agreed upon that Green is not soft. He's no tough nut but he goes when he has to.

That was two years ago now.

Green plays within himself now.

He needs to put his body on the line a bit more. I think Bruce and Yze will need to this year as well.

Im a wrap for Greeny but our experienced players need to show some desperation when the real thing starts.

If u are referring to the marks with the flight of the ball, they were against Adelaide last season, about round 8 or 9 (first win of the year whenever that was)

really watched Green especially last year. His game against Adelaide was superb, load of possessions and courage all day. but then fell away in subsequent weeks and was intrigued how he goes missing so often.

He definitely is not a hard player despite that Adeliade game and seemed out of position at time at half back.

it was really hard to put a finger on it, but I came to the conclusion Green above anyone else went missing last year.

He was one player i thought in 2000/2001- yep lock him as a fantastic forward or link man around the ground but he cannot seem to string really good games together. At least Bruce can do that and be very dangerous.

I too think he should be given a forward pcoket role with licence to roam up field and run his man into the ground. Yze (I cannot believe i am saying this) would be more reliable at half back if need be.

I hope it stemmed from the fact we had little down back last year and Green played too often in foreign territory. If we can add one or two consistent flankers/back pockets like Yze, Whelan, even a Pettard it may allow us to free him up a bit.

I think it is crunch time as I had him 1st on my list for trade bait above TJ.

Am I wrong or did he have a couple of operations on his legs over summer?

I think this should be the year where he really has to show he is our best kick as he once was touted.

At 27(?) Im tipping he will have a really good year. Im a fan.

But on the other side he strikes me as a player who has to play in winning sides to do well on his own game.

Robbo is another IMO, who always plays better when the team is performing.

Guest MFC4Life
But on the other side he strikes me as a player who has to play in winning sides to do well on his own game.

Totally agree. Unfortunatley we have had and have a lot of players that fall into this category.

Although Robbo does always appear to be trying his heart out.

If u are referring to the marks with the flight of the ball, they were against Adelaide last season, about round 8 or 9 (first win of the year whenever that was)

Correct.

But it is a sad state of affairs where we can pinpoint Green's couragous acts. They should be a weekly occurance.

Green is part of a list of players including Bruce, Robertson, White and Yze who have hurt us in the past few years with their application (or lack of it). Johnstone was also on this list but has been moved on.

A challenge for Bailey will be to get significant improvement from these players. Good seasons from all five will go a long way to determining where we finish this season.

I'd even suggest that improvement from these players is more important than improvement from our younger brigade.

Bruce has been a sensational player for pick 66 (i think it was). Anyone the doubts that obviously has no idea.

I have to say the Green is not soft at all. He dives in on the ball and takes marks running back of the play regardless of opposition players. Having said that, my feeling is that he is out of position in the midfield. I have never been happy with ND choice of developing him into a midfielder as i believe he gets lost in the play. It will be interesting to see what DB does with him. On the other hand, i think green is more valuable in the midfield than he is playing across the half forward line. This leaves a questionmark about the forward line. Obviously neitz deserves FF and Robbo the forward pocket. A player like Meric, Aussie or Davey are needed at the other pocket as we have struggled in previous years without a crumming player. This doesent even include Newton who shows he should be in the starting 18. Do we play him at CHF or does DB want miller a perminant option there than the backline.

My other feeling is that green may take some time to be able to be the forward we used to know. His kicking average may slip due to less goal kicking practise at training with the increase in midfield trials.

I dont think Green deserves to be called soft tho. Surely Bruce is softer than Green.

* 2006 St Kilda elim final - first minute and green puts his body on the line

* 2005 Essendon game - Runs back with the flight of the ball

These are 2 examples that come to mind, only due to watching them in the previous week

Green carried a foot injury for much of the year which affected his kicking.

There are a heap of players that I'd delist before Green...and in no particular order:

Ben Holland

Brad Miller

Paul Johnson

Matthew Warnock

Paul Wheatley

Adem Yze

Nathan Carroll

Jace Bode

Chris Johnson

Russell Robertson

Although Robbo does always appear to be trying his heart out.

In one post you say Green is soft, the next you say Robbo tries his heart out. You really need to watch the game a bit closer. Green is not soft, and as for Robbo, if he was trying his heart out he would chase, he doesn't.

Lots of players have been wonderful at various times over careers.

Right now it all means jack sh!t !! its all about NOW !! Its all about what they can and will contribute to us going forward...not what they may or may not have done in teh past..

All slates wiped clean...thats the whole point...all positions on merit only..We will see some quite different line ups for the dees this year Im sure !!!

Oh please, cool down all of you.

Brad Green performs consistently at a good standard, and works through bad form by doing the hard work anyway.

Cameron Bruce is our most vesatile player, is ALWAYS near the top of our hard-ball gets(!), posessions, tackles, clearances you name it, EVERY SEASON. There have been some footskill issues recently, but seriously, he's a long way from being a liability.

To be honest, I think the 'correct' underperformer was traded.

Travis Johnstone does not have the versatility, intensity, footskills (in terms of actual effective use, rather than appearances) stamina or team attitude of either Bruce or Green, both of whom are regulars in the B&F top ten compared to TJ's sporadic appearances.

I'd love to see Bruce and Green surge back up to the stellar form which we have glimpsed from them at times. But can we please get some perspective - these are good players and our concern isn't at a level of 'playing for their careers' - it's that they haven't been the out-and-out stars we'd hoped for.

'Last season' prospects as I see it -

Warnock & CJ are in danger of 'not quite making it' at AFL level. Bode and Weetra also, though they are probably entitled to more time.

Jamar is in some trouble since he just hasn't made any progress for years now, despite increased opportunities. PJ has more versatility and to me is showing at least some continual improvement, I think he's safe for 08.

Neitz, White, Whelan (if injury persists) Yze and Holland are prospective retirees. I don't think McDonald is actually going to get old, ever.

I think it'll be five delistings a year for the next two years - that's a big turnover following last years eight or so, plus rookies. Why on earth would anyone be talking about dropping solid performing moderately experienced players with some years left in them - certainly long enough to ride with the wave of youth.

Side note - the idea that Robbo plays best when the team is performing seems ridiculous to me - think Carlton in the the last game at Princes Park for an example of Robbo turning a game that we we're losing. The poor bastard practically carried us into the 05 finals and this is how we talk about him?

really watched Green especially last year. His game against Adelaide was superb, load of possessions and courage all day. but then fell away in subsequent weeks and was intrigued how he goes missing so often.

He definitely is not a hard player despite that Adeliade game and seemed out of position at time at half back.

it was really hard to put a finger on it, but I came to the conclusion Green above anyone else went missing last year.

He was one player i thought in 2000/2001- yep lock him as a fantastic forward or link man around the ground but he cannot seem to string really good games together. At least Bruce can do that and be very dangerous.

I too think he should be given a forward pcoket role with licence to roam up field and run his man into the ground. Yze (I cannot believe i am saying this) would be more reliable at half back if need be.

I hope it stemmed from the fact we had little down back last year and Green played too often in foreign territory. If we can add one or two consistent flankers/back pockets like Yze, Whelan, even a Pettard it may allow us to free him up a bit.

I think it is crunch time as I had him 1st on my list for trade bait above TJ.

I'd be shopping both around the market place at seasons end to offload at least one of for a draft pick/s.

Who would like to recieve a draft pick of say pick 15 - 20 for one of green or bruce & pickup a quality kid like a petterd or a maric or a grimes in a coming strong draft?

mind you that drafts in '09 & beyond may be feeding 2 extra teams in the comp with possible priority picks for new teams!

Green carried a foot injury for much of the year which affected his kicking.

There are a heap of players that I'd delist before Green...and in no particular order:

Ben Holland

Brad Miller

Paul Johnson

Matthew Warnock

Paul Wheatley

Adem Yze

Nathan Carroll

Jace Bode

Chris Johnson

Russell Robertson

Agree with that.

In one post you say Green is soft, the next you say Robbo tries his heart out. You really need to watch the game a bit closer. Green is not soft, and as for Robbo, if he was trying his heart out he would chase, he doesn't.

And agree with that also.

What player isn't better when they are winning?

I hate that stuff, it is just a comment to bag out.

Every player in a team game needs to be winning the ball for the next man to be playing well, it's how it works. Need other people doing their job constantly to do yours.

Who would like to recieve a draft pick of say pick 15 - 20 for one of green or bruce & pickup a quality kid like a petterd or a maric or a grimes in a coming strong draft?

mind you that drafts in '09 & beyond may be feeding 2 extra teams in the comp with possible priority picks for new teams!

WHAT??

We don't even know if Grimes and Maric are quality kids yet. Their just kids and Petterd has only played a handfull of games.

I really hope not but all 3 could still end up duds. Just cause Maric and Grimes were drafted high it doesn't mean they will amount to anything better than Green or Bruce.

NO player is soft......

There are different types of players - craig bradley and brett ratten as an example?

i think the issue with melbourne is that when we are beaten, it is very rare that one player has won their position or has had an influence on the match....

what we need is an even contribution from every player, as we do not have a champion....

brad green's kicking at times is too often up in the air and allows the backman to spoil....

Russell Robertson

Gee, I find that pretty harsh

As for Green and Bruce, I think they have long been the scapegoat whenever we are having a bad stretch. They have both been great servants of the club.

I think one of the biggest issues under ND and under a lot of AFL coaches is that they always think that a classy and very talented FP makes a great midfielder, I have always though Brad Green would be much better use for the team in the forward line, he would kick his few goals a game, I think the same for Flash, id much rather him rack up only 10 touches in the forward line then 30 scouting around packs in the midfield and backline... Plus we need blokes down forward who can get the ball and use it. As for last season though I disagree... he just needs to be better coached.