Why burnout king Brock is on the outer

Demon Head

Why burnout king Brock is on the outer (Sporting Life - Melbourne Age 7/2 Geoff McLure)

GIVEN the off-season events in Greece and Germany, where bar-room trouble seemed to follow Melbourne star Brock McLean around, this was the last thing he needed. Same goes for the Demons, really. But we can reveal that the speedy 21-year-old midfielder has been causing more angst at Demonland, this time since returning to home soil, with some car park shenanigans in his hotted-up V8 ute at the club's temporary training base at Trinity Grammar's sportgrounds in Bulleen. The incident, we learned yesterday, happened a couple of weeks ago but the effects are still being felt because McLean's punishment is that he's no longer allowed to park at the venue but has to leave his car on the road outside and walk the rest of the way to the change-rooms. Melbourne's new footy operations boss Chris Connolly dismissed the incident as "very minor" but it wasn't as far as the ground's curator David (he didn't want to give his surname) is concerned. "The day it happened there was this huge roar of an engine, followed by the screech of burning tyres and smoke billowing everywhere. Someone said, 'Don't worry, we'll all fix it up and I said, 'How will you do that? What, lay a new road?' ". The curator said McLean came back not long afterwards with an apology, which he would not accept. "I think his conscience got the better of him, and that's why he said sorry but I told him it just wasn't good enough. Anyway, the bottom line is he's not allowed to bring his car on site. It was such a burnout the marks he made are still in the car park. I read a few days later that he had been made part of the leadership group. Gee, that works well, doesn't it!" Indeed, David wasn't very complimentary about the Demons' overall behaviour but didn't want to elaborate, saying only: "There have been a few issues like wearing footy boots (instead of runners) on the ground after they were clearly asked not to. The Kangaroos train here too and they have been terrific. Can't say the same about the Demons, though." Connolly was surprised and disappointed to learn about the curator's criticisms, and wasn't aware there were other issues, but he said the McLean incident had been dealt with. "After discussions with the leadership group and Trinity we decided it would be best that Brock park his car outside and that's what's been happening." Connolly denied that McLean was named in the leadership group before the car park incident happened. "This all happened before we picked the leadership group. Anyway, you can be in no doubt that Brock will now put his motor sports ambitions on hold until his footy career is finished." Oh, and just a thought: apparently there's no truth in the rumour that the Demons might put an "0" before McLean's guernsey No. 5, as a tribute to the more famous Brock rev-head (he of Holden 05 fame), Peter Brock.

I read this article with "burnout" having the meaning of over-training. I've read a couple of times that Brock has been in the stands during training.

Gotta say, I'm a little relieved.

i've had run ins with that currator (if he is the same one who was around 5 or so years ago), and he was like filch from harry potter. cranky bastard, always yelling at the kids and chasing them around for stuff. was it justified? perhaps sometimes. but overreaction was a word that come to mind often.

What a miserable old git 'David' is. This is off-season muck-raking at it's finest. I'd wager if that nonsense in Germany hadn't gone down this wouldn't rate a mention. Have to agree with Nasher though, it's pretty poor that this sort of rubbish gets out.

i've had run ins with that currator (if he is the same one who was around 5 or so years ago), and he was like filch from harry potter. cranky bastard, always yelling at the kids and chasing them around for stuff. was it justified? perhaps sometimes. but overreaction was a word that come to mind often.

Your post tells me much about him and much about you.

I suspect he's good at his job.

Guest unstable punt

who gives a rats tossbag about this sort of shyte, got nothing better to write about in the papers, frickin' waste of print

Same here I trained next door at Marcellin and have had run ins with him before. The guy is a [censored].

I went to Trinity and can only agree that he is a complete [censored]...funnily enough though his son (and maybe he) is a demons supporter

Wouldn't be surprised. We seem to eat our own in tough times as much as any club!

I agree about this being a non-event though. What next? Dobbing players for farting in public?

only if a you're sure you're right. and b that you care enough to remember what ever knowledge you believe you've gained about me. c it probably did however tell you that my girlfriend makes me go to all the harry potter movies with her.

you are correct. he is fantastic at his job. have you ever seen the trinity sports grounds? they are immaculate. hats off to him (and his team no doubt) for year in year out preparing fantastic grounds and keeping them in that condition. this does not however qualify him as a judge of character. and his ability in gardening does not make him a reasonable person. in fact i would suggest that for the grounds to be in such great condition he is probably somewhat of a perfectionist, which would definetly cause an over reaction, because some kids jump a fence to play a game of rugby instead of walking the 3 kilometres around via the front gate or because a footballer did a burn out. mclean shouldnt have done a burn out. but if 'david' had a problem he could have spoken to the mfc and im sure it would have all been sorted out.

or hannabal, d is that if you read it closely you could probably guess my age but im sure thats what you meant when you said the post told you lots about me right?

David Sanguinetti is a top curator. I've played on his cricket pitches(as a visitor) for 20 years, and they're first-class standard. No wonder he takes pride in them. I'm surprised his son Glen is a Demons supporter, since his on-field demeanour is more like that of a Magpie supporting ruffian.

I don't blame David for being offended by burn-outs on the carpark. It's very frightening being around when some hoon behaves like that. They think they're in control of their car, then all of a sudden something happens like the disaster at Mildura.

I'm ashamed of the MFC's behaviour in these incidents. We seem like a ship without a rudder to me at this stage.

I presume we pay Trinity for the use of their lovely grounds. The "ground rules" should be clearly laid out , and adhered to.

David Sanguinetti is a top curator. I've played on his cricket pitches(as a visitor) for 20 years, and they're first-class standard. No wonder he takes pride in them. I'm surprised his son Glen is a Demons supporter, since his on-field demeanour is more like that of a Magpie supporting ruffian.

I don't blame David for being offended by burn-outs on the carpark. It's very frightening being around when some hoon behaves like that. They think they're in control of their car, then all of a sudden something happens like the disaster at Mildura.

I'm ashamed of the MFC's behaviour in these incidents. We seem like a ship without a rudder to me at this stage.

I presume we pay Trinity for the use of their lovely grounds. The "ground rules" should be clearly laid out , and adhered to.

i think the whole point is he didnt want his last name known to the public JJC. and you have echoed my sentiments regarding the level of his curating and grounds keeping. those grounds are phenomenal, and the pitches are always great, i have played on them once or twice, and watched a few crusaders games there...and you are right about hooning. but that still doesn't help to qualify what his reaction would be to someones behaviour as opposed to the rest of our reactions to the same behaviour.

He has every right to be annoyed and Brock was a knob for doing it.

Was reporting it to the papers really necessary though? What's wrong with lodging his grievance with the club?

IMO the bigger issue is actually the players wearing boots on the ground when they are told not to.

I know it sounds really small but professionalism starts at the very bottom. To be successful you have to carry yourself in the right manner on and off the field - the comparison with the Kangaroos, a club that always gets the absolute most out of itself, and us, the perpetual underachievers, is definately on point.

The leadership issue is a crucial one for us going forward, and to have our "next" main leader being a [censored], 21/22 years old or not, isn't a good sign. Hopefully these guys are beginning to get some off-field leadership as well.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

You can't be serious.