Moving On

Diablo

Ok. Firstly, Juddy;

You are a grade A mincer mate. That is a powerfully weak reason not to play for a football club. And if that's not the real reason, then you are equally spineless for not spilling that. But then, that pretty much sums you up, doesn't it. Don't get me wrong, you are a ripping footballer and chances are I'll still watch you in awe. However, you've never had to work for anything in your life, and it's damn obvious. A superb athlete, with a natural talent for football, the game was your oyster from the get go. Within a few short years you'd done it all; a Brownlow and Norm Smith Medalist, and then a premiership-winning Captain. At age 23 there was no AFL honour that you hadn't achieved.

Where to from there? It was time to go home, because you were getting a bit precious, and couldn't bear to be away another year. Bit soft that, for a professional athlete, but at the same time understandable. At this point, you start to show your true colours. You start hanging out a few desires here and there, “Premiership prospects this, good facilities that”. I want I want I want. Well we all want mate, but sometimes it's a bit more satisfying if you put in the work first. The fact is, you wanted it all served up on a sparkling silver platter from the beginning. You played clubs off against each other to see who could give you the biggest slice of the world, on and off the field. So in came the fat cats with their offers. In came Dick with his Visy bags choc-full of that sweet, sweet cheddar, the promise of career opportunities after football. In came Eddie with the facilities and the high-up connections that would ensure life was one big pleasure cruise for you and the Twig.

Amongst it all was a club that has been in the doldrums since our last great superstar, one Ronald Dale Barrassi, left. Amazingly, you bothered to interview the Melbourne Football Club, and speculation was rife that maybe... just maybe... you might be doing this for the right reasons. You might be the man to pull your boyhood team out of its perpetual trough, give the supporters something to be excited about, and get the club back where it belonged. After all, what else could Melbourne possibly offer that the other clubs couldn't? What possible reason could you have had for gracing us with your presence? It would take a damn ballsy man to accept the impoverished option; the once glorious club that had fallen so far from grace and was desperately crying out for somebody to haul it, dirty, but triumphant, from the mire. You had the torch that could ignite the phoenix in your hands. But alas, you couldn't be that man, because you didn't have the intestinal fortitude to, temporarily, leave your comfort zone and fight for something that you may once have believed in.

Because it's all about you, isn't it Chris? It's not about the club you play for. Any club would do, provided they could look after number 1. Excellent facilities, big money, post-footy prospects. We're back to the beginning now; you've not yet had to work for a bloody thing, and your number one motivation in choosing a club was to make damn sure that you never had to. Hell mate, that's your prerogative. But you had the chance to make a massive f**king difference to the club that you once LOVED, and you spat in our faces. All because you thought you were too damn good to have to bust your balls for something. For someone.

Well mate. Get bent. This is not the attitude of the person who will save our club from oblivion. When you're old and grey, and you find yourself reflecting on life, you'll inevitably find yourself considering this decision, and you'll realize; 'I could have been a Legend. A man who changed the very course of the game. I was a great player. But [censored], I could have been so much more'.

I hate that the club is honoured that Judd considered us!

We shouldn't be honoured, we should expect him to speak to us, and we should demand to come up winners.

This is a huge slap in the face for the MFC, and it again highlights that we are so far behind the rest of the competition, that it is hurting our on field and off field prospects.

Judd has purely and simply wasted our time and precious resources. He knew all along our facilities, for now, are substandard. If the real reason he isn't coming to Melbourne is because he wants shiny dumbbells, why speak to us to begin with?

This is a big kick in the guts for the MFC, one of many. I just hope that we are motivated by this, because at the moment we are stuck in an endless cycle of poverty while the rich clubs only get richer and more successful.

Couldnt agree more:

'Sorry my dad speculated that Id come to the Dees - its a nice idea, but Im not going to travel to more than one training location in the off season. Im better than that.'

Nah, I hope that there is more to this than we know - but if its true then I cant wait for this to unite us. I hope we stick it right up them queens Bday

...and thanks for dragging us along for these two f***ing long weeks. You knew all along that Melbourne doesnt have good facilities until 09' and you knew that Junction Oval was small so we train at a couple of different ovals. WHY did you drag us along Chris and say that you were overwhelmed with Dean Bailey and the staff at Melbourne when you knew before hand you were never going to choose us. Were you trying to pretend you were loyal? I'd rather you not put us into the top four in the first place. I hope you lose respect and I know who I will boo this year (not that our 16000 fans will make any noise anyway unless you came).

**on another note, is trav gonna want to be at melbourne next year after all of that...and are we still in a chance to get jolly??

The point of this is to vent, by the way. I intend to write something else about where we are at now that Princess Christopher is out of the picture, and our best path forward.

Great work Diablo. I don't agree with everything you wrote but I do share your frustration. Excellent post.

I know it's contentious to say that somebody who has achieved so much has never had to work for it. Almost by definition he would have had to, somewhere along the line. But it just seems to me, given his reason for KBing us, and everything else that has been going on, that he wants his whole life all wrapped up and presented to him.

However, it's mostly frustrating for me, not because of this reasoning, but because of what he may well have been for MFC.

Good post Diablo.

Judd's emerged as a bit of a princess...and we don't need that.

I'm sure he'll get the opportunity to admire himself from 47 different angles in the mirrors at the Lexus centre!

Weak Judd. You had your chance to play for us, you won't get it again that's for sure.

You had the torch that could ignite the phoenix in your hands. But alas, you couldn't be that man, because you didn't have the intestinal fortitude to, temporarily, leave your comfort zone and fight for something that you may once have believed in.

These few lines are absolute GOLD!

At the end of the day, it is us.... that's right.... US that have stuck with our beloved football team.... Through thick and thin..... Through good times, and more often than not in my life, bad times..... But we aren't going anywhere! We aren't going to jump off OUR team and support another because they have a better chance of playing finals, or better facilities, or more prominent figure-heads!

We ARE the Melbourne Football Club.... The oldest football club in the world.... We ARE the people whose hearts beat true for the red and the blue!

Chris Judd..... You are not and have never been IMHO a supporter of our great club! Your parents may be.... But you are certainly not!

Mark my words boy..... You will regret this decision! When we are Top 4 each year and when our Coach and Captain hold that premiership cup in the air on that last day in September.... You will be left searching deep inside yourself and wishing it was you who had delivered the Holy Grail back to it's rightful owner!

[censored] Weak Mr Judd!!!

The MFC.... It's board.... It's coaching staff.... It's players.... And it's supporters will move on and enjoy the ride we are about to take....

And you.... You will be left with the knowledge that you chose the easy way out!!

This is my last post regarding you and our great club!

May God have mercy on your soul....

I just saw Judd with his Mummy on their way out to Princes Park from the Lexus Centre. He informed me he is timing how long it takes for the showers to get hot once you turn the hot water tap on. That along with what brand of toilet paper the club uses and what fragrance the fabric softener used on the towels is, will ultimately determine which club he heads to.

Great post, Diablo. Perhaps you should have sent an emotive and convincing letter to that eunuch before he made his mind up!

Evidently emotion means nothing to this man. Would've gone straight into the fireplace at Judd Manor.

Like everyone here, I am very dissapointed. The thought of finally having a genuine champion player at our club was thrilling. However, we've missed out and now it is time to move on and realise that not all is lost. The flip side of Judd not coming to Melbourne is that we now can use pick 4 to get a quality young player. Who knows, maybe the player we pick up will end up being a future captain of our club.

I believe we now have a wonderful opportunity to rebuild with youth, similar to what Hawthorn did. We need to recognise that we are not premiership contenders with the current list and probably won't be for 3 years. It might be time to trade players such as Robbo and TJ for draft picks and load up on young talent. We need to take a long-term view from here and not look for quick fixes. the future of our club is players such as Bate, Mclean, Jones, Sylvia, Bell, Newton, Petterd, Frawley, Rivers and Davey. That's a pretty handy nucleus of young talent. Bring on the draft!

Although I dont agree with everything you posted I can understand your reasoning behind it, Diablo, as you say, he could have been something special for our club. Couldnt help but get my hopes up these last couple of days with all the judd to melbourne talk. I think thats what makes it harder to stomach.

Great post Diablo, exactly what i was thinking, if he really loved the club as a kid he would have sawed of his left nut to play for us, i know i bloody would have.

whats that avatar you have there diablo?

I think I'm going to have to go without for a while. Whenever I change it I seem to get that damn Judd picture in different dimensions.