The Matt Kreuzer Cup

WonnaJurah

I actually think this will be the game of the year. Neither team will tank, but will both want too lose. I expect a high scoring shoot-out with Carlton coming out on top by 23 points and Tigers beating Saints by 15. You all know what that means :D

We get the wooden spoon.

Yay!! Let's celebrate mediocrity!!

And one of he most promising ruckmen to come through in years, along with a fit side that was thought to be melbournes only chance for a premiership this year. Not celebrating it, just making the most of it.

Its Footy...when did logic enter this game ?? :)

And one of he most promising ruckmen to come through in years, along with a fit side that was thought to be melbournes only chance for a premiership this year. Not celebrating it, just making the most of it.

I don't quite understand the obsession with Kreuzer. To me he'd appear to be one of those Ottens(#2), Fraser(#1) or White(#1) types that ostensibly come ready-made but transpire to be something else (I won't bore you by telling you what that is). I'd prefer to develop a big man. Cox, Sandilands and Jolly were all Rookie Elevations, Lade was an Inaugural Squad Selection and McIntosh and Charman went at picks 9 and 29 respectively. They don't come ready to go out-of-the-box.

I don't quite understand the obsession with Kreuzer. To me he'd appear to be one of those Ottens(#2), Fraser(#1) or White(#1) types that ostensibly come ready-made but transpire to be something else (I won't bore you by telling you what that is). I'd prefer to develop a big man. Cox, Sandilands and Jolly were all Rookie Elevations, Lade was an Inaugural Squad Selection and McIntosh and Charman went at picks 9 and 29 respectively. They don't come ready to go out-of-the-box.

I wouldn't think Ottens, Fraser and Jeff are complete failures.

This is all BS! The priority pick system is overrated. The only priority pick who has come in and made a difference to his team in his first year is Judd - how many Judd's are out there? It is a future investment that may or may not pay off, but will give little if any return in 2008. We would be better off tryng to win and giving the young blokes we currently have in the side the opportunity to experience some success as well as sending off our retirees in a positive manner. Carlton are an absolute disgrace and should be ashamed of the way they have gone about it lately. You build successful clubs by trying to win, not lose. The best ruckman in the league (of all time if you listen to Sheahan) came off the rookie list!

Forget all this crap and just win! I'm sick and tired of following a club that is a laughing stock. Just play to win, and do your club and that jumper proud!

But Cox, Lade, Charman and even Jolly add a bit of bite.

I think your spot on 'CHAMP', But I haven't read where anyone has said he's a champ ready to go like Judd turned out to be, but in my mind is a top yearling needing good guidance before being a cup winner.

I'm firmly in the "I want us to lose round 22, so we get the better draft picks" camp

BUT

If the Tigers end up beating St.Kilda, i will be praying for us to win.

REASON

The idea of the MFC finishing the season on the bottom of the ladder makes me feel sick. I've got too much pride in my club, to see us written down in the history books as the worst team of 2007.

Some things are worth getting a draft pick for. Losing a meaningless game, yes. Getting the wooden spoon, no.

Great comment Champ! I think taking a ruckman at #1 is a huge gamble. I dont think(if we get the oppotunity) we should be taking that risk.

This is all BS! The priority pick system is overrated. The only priority pick who has come in and made a difference to his team in his first year is Judd - how many Judd's are out there? It is a future investment that may or may not pay off, but will give little if any return in 2008. We would be better off tryng to win and giving the young blokes we currently have in the side the opportunity to experience some success as well as sending off our retirees in a positive manner. Carlton are an absolute disgrace and should be ashamed of the way they have gone about it lately. You build successful clubs by trying to win, not lose. The best ruckman in the league (of all time if you listen to Sheahan) came off the rookie list!

Forget all this crap and just win! I'm sick and tired of following a club that is a laughing stock. Just play to win, and do your club and that jumper proud!

Well said. Judging by your favourite players, i'd say you enjoyed watching the dees during the late 80's too. My faves though were Ricky Jackson, Rod Grinter, Stephen Newport and Greg Healy.

A Phanton Draft (first round) from a poster on the Tigers' site who has conceded the #1 pick to Carlton:

1 - Carlton - Matthew Kreuzer 199cm 91kg Northern Knights - Young ruckman who is quite fast and good at ground level. Also likes to chase and tackle. Would be a perfect fit for the Blues if the end up with pick 1. Can play forward also.

2 - Richmond - Trent Cotchin 184cm 81kg Essendon Grammar - 1 or 2 players that could go at pick 2. But I've chosen Cotchin even though he wasn't great at the champs. He is your Joel Selwood type midfielder, but with more pace. Very strong through the body and works hard. Good prospect and could step straight into senior footy. Underage player.

3 - Carlton - Cale Morton 192cm 75kg Claremont - Would have had him around pick 5-10 before the champs, but he was dominant and won the Larke Medal. Moves brilliantly and is an outside HBF or wingman. Very classy and tall.

4 - Melbourne - Alex Rance 194cm 87kg Swan Districts WA - Stocks have risen a little after the champs. Your typical Full Back player, and will fill an important position at the Dees with Carroll seemingly under-sized on occasion. Will definitely go early.

5 - Bulldogs - Lachlan Henderson 196cm 90kg Geelong Falcons - Could go earlier, but if he is available the Dogs will snap him up. Big powerful forward with very good skill, and is quite mobile. Is a monty for the dogs if available.

6 - Essendon - Rhys Palmer 180cm 76kg East Fremantle - The bolter of the draft, and is now infront of team mate Chris Masten. He will be valuable for the Dons as he breaks the lines and has a lot of pace. His foot skills are deadly. Probably the best player at the champs really.

7 - Fremantle - Chris Masten 179cm 78kg East Fremantle - If available the Dockers won't look past the hometown boy. Inside and outside type player. Can win the hard footy, but can also break lines although pace isn't huge. Prolific ball winner.

8 - Brisbane - Tom Collier 192cm 86kg Tasmania - Wouldn't be surprised if Brisbane go for the Tassie boy. Key Defender who can also play in the middle. Has a massive influence on games. A real likely type who will succeed.

9 - St. Kilda - Ben McEvoy 199cm 90kg Murray Bushrangers - Second best ruckman in the draft, and can go forward, but likely to be developed as a ruckman, as he doesn't have the brain to play forward. None the less he is very likely and works hard around the ground. Will be a good player.

10 - Adelaide - Brad Ebert 187cm 86kg Port Magpies - If he last this long Adelaide will pick him quicker then you can blink. SA boy who is an inside midfielder, moves beautifully and kicks the ball well. Has dropped a little after an ordinary champs, but will go around top 10-15.

11 - Sydney - Dave Gourdis 193cm 88kg Subiaco - May go earlier, but a really good prospect. The typical leading CHF who makes his way to the wings and demands the footy. The type of player the Swans will look for with an aging forward-line.

12 - Collingwood - Scott Selwood 184cm 81kg Bendigo Pioneers - Not quite as good as Joel, but better than Adam and Troy. A bull of a player, who plays it hard in the midfield and crashed through players. An absolute grunt player who plays like Daniel Harris.

13 - Kangaroos - Steven Gaertner 196cm 83kg Dandenong Stingrays - The absolute wildcard of the draft. Could be anything, and may go lower or higher. His kicking isn't great, but he is a freakish athlete like Jared Brennan. Who ever selects him may have a champion on their hands.

14 - Hawthorn - Tayte Pears 192cm 90kg East Perth - The type of player the Hawks would like in their defence. Bottom aged player who needs to work on his positioning, but spoils very very well. Will be groomed for CHB.

15 - West Coast - Cyril Rioli 178cm 74kg St. Marys - First NT boy to go in the draft. Lightning fast player that can play as a midfielder or crumbing forward. I'd expect WCE to jump on a crumber like Rioli with Sampi unlikely to return and they need this type of player.

16 - Port Adelaide - David Myers 190cm 85kg Perth - Running defender. Very athletic and good foot skills. Would be likened to Jason Gram but taller with more potential to play in the midfield.

17 - Geelong - Pat Veszpremi 181cm 83kg Northern Knights - Scott Selwood type who crashes packs and runs hard. His pace isn't great, but he is a very good young player. One of my favourites in this draft.

Next best

Jack Grimes - Midfielder VIC

Tom Bellchambers - Ruck VIC

Robbie Tarrant FF VIC

Steve Browne Defender WA