Match of the Century (Tank Talk Merged)

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm a regular there. Haven't seen a single post advocating a Carlton win.

Had a look.

Your not wrong, thats so wrong. They are loving the fact they are tanking. I wouldn't hate it if Melbourne lost but to think of me not wanting them to bust their gut is insane.

I know when im there I'll want to belt them, even if its logical to loose. Always want to win, that's what sport is about, winning each week. One kid won't make you win next year.

I just realised ANOTHER reason why we should lose on Sunday. Supposing we have another nightmare season next year, making 2 years in succession with 4 wins or less ,we'd get a priority pick. God forbid this situation should occur, but if it did, it's best to get maximum drafting benefit.

If the Club approached it on that basis, then the footy department should be sacked.

One kid won't make you win next year.

It is ridiculous to argue that the extra 2nd PP will not be a plus to the list to assist us to win. A win against a shallow tanking outfit is meaningless and forgettable and does nothing for the Club.

Its all depends on what you class a win for the Club. I know where the true victory is.

It is ridiculous to argue that the extra 2nd PP will not be a plus to the list to assist us to win. A win against a shallow tanking outfit is meaningless and forgettable and does nothing for the Club.

Its all depends on what you class a win for the Club. I know where the true victory is.

It isn't meaningless. That player picked with 2nd round PP could very well be a vital part of a strong team. But isn't the be all end all either. Thats all I was saying.

Iknow where the true victory is as well, don't worry about that.

Your 2 statements seem to contradict each other, Rhino.

No contradictions at all.

If the footy department and new coach approached next year with the likelihood that they would end up with less than 4 wins then they should not have been appointed via the process and it has failed one and all.

There is a difference between planning for the likelihood of underperformance in a year (2008) as opposed with dealing with outcome and consequences of underperformance in the current year.

Just wait until you see the list of carlotn players not playing this week, fisher has gone in for a arthoscope (sp), lappin has retired, no farewell game and so on.

The list should read

Outs Lappin retired, fisher- tanking, fevola- tanking etc etc etc

(I know fev went out weeks ago)

It isn't meaningless. That player picked with 2nd round PP could very well be a vital part of a strong team. But isn't the be all end all either. Thats all I was saying.

Iknow where the true victory is as well, don't worry about that.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cypher --- carlton supporters website.

Rod Ashman

Posted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 1:48 pm

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We win either way if the Roos, Power or Lions overlook Kreuzer and he falls into our lap. It would be even sweeter if the Bombers were forced to take Kreuzer or Henderson just to address a weakness on their list and overlook a gun. Laycock and Hille are average after Cloke and Ackland broke even with them and Ryder should be polishing his ruck skills for four quarters in the twos.

Laycock is a bust.

Hampson was an astute choice by Hughes and it's amusing to read Bombers' fans saying we stuffed up by picking Jetta. The cards might not fall our way this year and we might miss out on a Kreuzer when there's usually a handfull of Jettas in every draft.

If we finish second last on four points with the Roos or Lions winning the spoon we will have picks one and three.

That would give us a better list of kids than Hawthorn who lack pacy runners and quality tall defenders. Carlton would rip the **** out of the competition in three years and succeed where the Saints have failed.

**** it!

I found this on a Tiger website and thought it was amusing and not the least bit appropriate.......

Round 22: Melbourne Vs Carlton

Match Report by Michael “Squints” Polydoris.

The stage was set for one of the most exciting matches of the season at the MCG on the weekend. Despite their lowly status on the AFL ladder and the disappointment of missing the forthcoming finals, both teams went into this game with much to prove and even more to lose.

Four wins each going into the last round of the season meant that both teams were playing for pride and the opportunity to begin their pre-season in October with a winning feeling.

Unfortunately, they each had a prized priority pick to protect.

A small but loyal crowd gathered at the MCG. The ski season was still in full swing at Mt Buller and the Lygon St Festa had been moved to this weekend at the last minute, contributing to the disappointing crowd. The impact was felt by each of the five spectators in the Great Southern Stand as the wind whistled through their ears.

Umpire Goldspink, officiating in his final match, signalled the start of the game. White and Ackland faced off, snarling. The center square restriction of four players from each team at each bounce has been in place for many years now, and occasionally, a team gets it wrong and a fifth player can be found in there, giving away a silly free kick.

Does anyone know the rule if no players from either team are there to witness the first bounce of the match? Umpire Goldspink certainly had no idea what to do next. He just bounced the ball and watched it bounce again and again until it came to a halt in the center-square mud.

Where were the players?

The boys had all gathered in the Melbourne goal-square. Neitz and Whitnall had neatly laid a tartan rug on the ground and they had assembled politely for their picnic. Betts and Davey were tending the camp-fire, Johnstone had made the tea and was swinging the billy around over his head, Fev’s mum had baked a lovely tea-cake for them to enjoy.

Melbourne’s midfielders attacked the Herald-sun sudoku with gusto while Carlton’s had the Giant crossword to amuse them for the afternoon. Brock McLean, competitive as ever, started up a game of cricket with his bat and tennis ball and a wonderful afternoon was had by one and all. Matty Lappin's rottweiler was easily the best fielder on the day.

So what were White and Ackland snarling about at the start of the game? Well as usual, Lance had eaten all the chicken legs and there was only one left for them. They refused to share and it was on!

The eerie sound of Umpire Goldspink's whistle, followed by a grunt as he bounced the ball again and again could be heard for hours into the night. A ghostly, white figure, he was left alone to repeat his ritual, friendless to the last.

I re-re-iterate my original contention, which started this thread on Aug 5th.

I just hope Dean Bailey shows a bit more native cunning than our Club showed this evening.

Agreed Garland, Neville, Warnock, Buckley should've played. If we won with them, so be it. (In fact I'll be happy to win with our worst team)

U don't see the scum regretting losing every week last year when they have Gumbleton, Jetta and Hislop.

Agreed Garland, Neville, Warnock, Buckley should've played. If we won with them, so be it. (In fact I'll be happy to win with our worst team)

U don't see the scum regretting losing every week last year when they have Gumbleton, Jetta and Hislop.

Couldn't agree more. However I would also have added Weetra, for short bursts on the wing. He would have been in no danger as there wasn't a tackle laid. It would also have meant a few players dropping back to Sandy who would have won. That though is the lesser consideration. This was a game we would have won with Mrs. Redleg at full forward and her mother at CHF. It was a joke. For that reason why would you not have in the words of Rattan " tried every young player ".

I'm already getting sick of my Carlton-supporting mates smugly grinning as they conratulate me on Melbourne's "great win".

The Carlton fans behind me on Sunday gave us hell!......"only 4 goals up and we're not even TRYING".....How bad are Melbourne!!!"

I always felt that our footy dept would lack the unscrupulous native street-wise cunning of the Carlton cheats. After all, they've won premierships with it. We haven't learned.

• 6 months later...