BRETT RATTEN

sylvinator

The word is the Carlton are looking to take Michael Voss as coach this year but I'm not so upset by this for two reasons.

Firstly I don't think Voss should be coaching simply because Carlton will give him a job without any experience. I think he needs a couple of years as an assistant first because he has no knowledge of how list management or the working of an AFL club really happen.

However the other positive is that Brett Ratten could be available.

I am a big fan of his, he has had a long and promising aprentiship including a season as an assistent at the demons. he knows our club and the troubles we face with marketing and finances.

He will promote hardness and mental strength that is sadly lacking at our footy club atm.

I would be happy with him as coach.

The word is the Carlton are looking to take Michael Voss as coach this year but I'm not so upset by this for two reasons.

Firstly I don't think Voss should be coaching simply because Carlton will give him a job without any experience. I think he needs a couple of years as an assistant first because he has no knowledge of how list management or the working of an AFL club really happen.

I am a big fan of his, he has had a long and promising aprentiship including a season as an assistent at the demons. he knows our club and the troubles we face with marketing and finances.

He will promote hardness and mental strength that is sadly lacking at our footy club atm.

I would be happy with him as coach.

2 words for you: Get Sheedy!

2 words for you: Get Sheedy!

Why is everyone so obssessed with getting sheedy.

He has been coach for 27 years! granted he's been a legend of the game, but the last 2-3 years he has been starting to lose the plot.

his drafting last 3 years has been dodgy as. He picked up Camporeale and Chris heffernan ffs! something must be starting to go wrong upstairs if he's picking heffernan after disastrous 3 years at melbourne.

Plus, above all, he plays favourites with some players just like daniher used to. How Mark Bolten has a spot on an afl list still is beyond me.

if we are looking to the future, then Ratten is the man to take us places.

The main good thing i see about sheedy is for marketing and sponsorship. guys! that is not a reason to get a coach!!!!

I've been speaking to all my essendon supporter mates, and they ALL say without fail that sheedy is a legend but he's lost the plot about 2 years ago and that for melbourne to take him would be a big step back for them

anyways this post wasnt meant to be about sheedy, but rather why ratten is such a capable candidate

I would be happy with sheeds with Ratten as Midfield assistant.

Sheeds has definately not lost the plot-do not be so foolish to think that way.

Sheeds would love to bring a Premiership to Melbourne I Bet. Imagine the Kudos he would recieve.

This is a big chance for Melbourne to Earn some respect-we must get it right

Firstly I don't think Voss should be coaching simply because Carlton will give him a job .....

A very good point.

Just because other teams are now in the market doesn't mean they will make the correct call. Ratten is a classic - way better credentialled than Voss, and the Blues would be nuts not to take him - but i suspect they will go for Voss, thinking money (Pratt's) and reputation will be a quick fix.

They have just paid out Pagan's contract, and were played on a break by Pagan financially, and now need quick results.

07 worsfold

I was at the beginning strongly against Ratten.

The moment Neale left I thought Garry Lyon, Todd Viney, Mark Harvey, Michael Voss.

The only four I would want no matter what.

Lyon is a no obviously (damn). Im a little hasty on Voss but hey what if he is amazing. Harvey looks set to stay with Freo.

So I have thought alot more about Ratten. My ideal choice is VIney. But Ratten could bring something to our club. Maybe some grunt into weak players like, Johnstone, White and Robertson.

I was at the beginning strongly against Ratten.

The moment Neale left I thought Garry Lyon, Todd Viney, Mark Harvey, Michael Voss.

The only four I would want no matter what.

Lyon is a no obviously (damn). Im a little hasty on Voss but hey what if he is amazing. Harvey looks set to stay with Freo.

So I have thought alot more about Ratten. My ideal choice is VIney. But Ratten could bring something to our club. Maybe some grunt into weak players like, Johnstone, White and Robertson.

I'd be happy with Ratten - how about with Kouta as asssistant?

I'd be happy with Ratten - how about with Kouta as asssistant?

Wouldn't consider it likely as Kouta owns a souvlaki resturant with Ang Christou and said he was looking forward to getting in there with Ang.

But I would love it.

• Haha 1

• 11 years later...

On 7/31/2007 at 2:39 PM, Sir Why You Little said:

I would be happy with sheeds with Ratten as Midfield assistant.

Sheeds has definately not lost the plot-do not be so foolish to think that way.

Sheeds would love to bring a Premiership to Melbourne I Bet. Imagine the Kudos he would recieve.

This is a big chance for Melbourne to Earn some respect-we must get it right

He most certainly had.  

• Haha 3

(this thread bump has to be the biggest of all time).

Apparently Ratten has been cast off by Hawthorn, not because he's considered to have failed but because Hawthorn believes in constant renewal of its assistant coaching stocks. He has admitted that he has been spoken to by other clubs about joining them in an assistant's role.

My view is that when we lose games it's because of an inability of the midfield to defend under pressure. If Ratten can help fix that, I'd be in favour of getting him into our assistant coaching ranks.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Moonshadow said:

Sheedy as an assistant on 2019???

Now I've heard it all.

As an occasional crafty spruiker for Essendrug he has a place. Not at Melbourne in 2019.

Won't happen. 

Dude, check out the date of when those posts were made 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

47 minutes ago, rpfc said:

11 year bump? Did someone have this thread favourited in Internet Explorer 3?

Seems like a waste of a player/coaches continuing chronology to not bump an old thread. So i google the "name and demonland" to see if one has been made before and notice it is quite interesting in hindsight and perhaps it would be of some interest to others, at least for a laugh!

Edited by johndemonic

10 hours ago, La Dee-vina Comedia said:

(this thread bump has to be the biggest of all time).

Apparently Ratten has been cast off by Hawthorn, not because he's considered to have failed but because Hawthorn believes in constant renewal of its assistant coaching stocks. He has admitted that he has been spoken to by other clubs about joining them in an assistant's role.

My view is that when we lose games it's because of an inability of the midfield to defend under pressure. If Ratten can help fix that, I'd be in favour of getting him into our assistant coaching ranks.

I understood it to be he wanted to coach his own team again. Clarkson said that when they were reviewing assitants again later in the year and if Ratten couldn't get a coaching gig that he might be back at the Hawks.