The Draft Pick Upgrade Thread

Nascent

42 minutes ago, whatwhat say what said:

i don't think they were 'looked after' any more than what we were when frawley left

I don’t disagree

42 minutes ago, whatwhat say what said:

arguably, battle's contract is probably bigger than chip's was

Salary caps were smaller back then (I think). It raises the point though; compensation - or at least I believe - is about looking after sides who are losing players in free agency beyond their control ie to successful sides in a premiership window, as much as it is a size of contract thing… I think that is where the ‘special herbs and spices’ come in, there are some elements beyond salary size/contract length that determine compensation. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, old55 said:

I said that - you know, the part where it reads "pushed it back ..."

Who are these "more FAs" who are going to command Band 1 or 2 compo and push it back further?

Sorry, completely missed your first sentence somehow. 

No idea who the other FAs are - perhaps none. I was otherwise agreeing with you - FA compo pushes picks back but f/s and academy picks don’t, as those players aren’t on the market. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, titan_uranus said:

Sorry, completely missed your first sentence somehow. 

No idea who the other FAs are - perhaps none. I was otherwise agreeing with you - FA compo pushes picks back but f/s and academy picks don’t, as those players aren’t on the market. 

Cheers, enjoy your posting.

AFAIK there's no more big budget FAs left to deliver significant picks.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, KozzyCan said:

Isn't the top 5-10 a bit of a raffle in this draft? I don't see the value in moving up a couple of spots.

It depends on how you rate the talent. I would say the top 4 live selections (Not including Ashcroft) are very clearly the top 4 in Smith, Lalor, Langford, O'Sullivan. we could easily miss all four of them as it stands, so the value is, we potentially get access to a significantly better player, as well as an additional pick in the 20's in THIS draft which is loaded with talent, all for the price of backing ourselves to improve in 2025 which we should. 

• Like 2
  • Thinking 1

1 hour ago, The Jackson FIX said:

I don’t disagree

Salary caps were smaller back then (I think). It raises the point though; compensation - or at least I believe - is about looking after sides who are losing players in free agency beyond their control ie to successful sides in a premiership window, as much as it is a size of contract thing… I think that is where the ‘special herbs and spices’ come in, there are some elements beyond salary size/contract length that determine compensation. 

The difference was Frawley was our most important (best) player at that time.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, The heart beats true said:

ANB for 28 is an absolute steal if Battle if worth pick 8. Both finished 3rd in their respective BnF’s. The only difference is one of them has a contract - and somehow he’s the one less valuable.

Something wrong with the system if that’s the case.

Correct, not a hope in hell you would give pick 8 for battle. It’s [censored].

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Ted Lasso said:

It depends on how you rate the talent. I would say the top 4 live selections (Not including Ashcroft) are very clearly the top 4 in Smith, Lalor, Langford, O'Sullivan. we could easily miss all four of them as it stands, so the value is, we potentially get access to a significantly better player, as well as an additional pick in the 20's in THIS draft which is loaded with talent, all for the price of backing ourselves to improve in 2025 which we should. 

We'll pick off the remaining player off this list in Lalor, Smith, FOS, Langford and Draper.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

We'll pick off the remaining player off this list in Lalor, Smith, FOS, Langford and Draper.

Do you have a preference and or inkling as to who might slip through to us? they're all very very handy players, I can't see Adelaide passing on the S.A boy in Draper, a trade at the top end would complicate things further potentially. 

• Like 1

On 05/10/2024 at 10:45, Mach5 said:

I feel like we wouldn’t rate Reid in our top 10.

Any reason or just gut feel?

I personally rate him highly, and think he would add a new dimension to our midfield. 

Also, think Cal Twomey is the most credible analyst considering his direct access to recruiters and list managers - and he thinks Murphy is top 5

Edited by Lord Neville X Flash
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Ted Lasso said:

Do you have a preference and or inkling as to who might slip through to us? they're all very very handy players, I can't see Adelaide passing on the S.A boy in Draper, a trade at the top end would complicate things further potentially. 

My top 5 Phantom draft.

Richmond: Sam Lalor

North: Finn O'Sullivan 

West Coast: Jagga Smith

Adelaide: Sid Draper

Melbourne: Harvey Langford 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

1 minute ago, dazzledavey36 said:

My top 5 Phantom draft.

Richmond: Sam Lalor

North: Finn O'Sullivan 

West Coast: Jagga Smith

Adelaide: Sid Draper

Melbourne: Harvey Langford 

If we get Langford I believe we’ll be very happy 

Edited by Roost it far
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, The Jackson FIX said:

Battle is a few years younger and is ‘rarer’ in terms of the position he plays.  Stk looked after a bit with the compo, yes, but the contrast to what we’ll get for Nibbler isn’t outrageous 

I just think the system is currently interesting for clubs. I’ve always felt like historically clubs have offered contracts to avoid FA taking someone away. If the compensation is going to be considerably better than what someone would get in a trade it might swing back the other way a bit, and make FA more attractive to everyone to explore. Might be the reasoning behind the consistent overs on compensation.

You never want to lose your top 5 players to FA, but perhaps after that it becomes more attractive.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Deemania since 56 said:

Improved coaching and player development initiatives (combined) must be called upon to better those who we pick up within our 'allocated' priorities- and those that we take specifically for 'development' down the track. 

Is that a quote Deemania or is this your observations, either way very good.

6 minutes ago, adonski said:

Bloos have put their F1 & F2 on the table for GCS' pick 13

Is that allowed?

I thought there were still rules in place for future pick trading. Unless they've changed it recently it was that if you traded a f1 then you couldn't trade any other picks in subsequent rounds. Conversely, if you traded a f2, you could trade as much as you like in later future rounds but you couldn't trade your f1 unless you replaced it with another f1.

• Thanks 1
  • Clap 1

Just now, Nascent said:

Is that allowed?

I thought there were still rules in place for future pick trading. Unless they've changed it recently it was that if you traded a f1 then you couldn't trade any other picks in subsequent rounds. Conversely, if you traded a f2, you could trade as much as you like in later future rounds but you couldn't trade your f1 unless you replaced it with another f1.

Theyre gonna trade pick 34 for a F2 accordingly to the article

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Nascent said:

Is that allowed?

Depends who's asking.  In the Animal Farm League, some clubs are more equal than others. 

A good argument to send to GC is don’t deal pick 13 to a club that’s going to use it on Houston.

If they deal it to Coll or Carlton they’ll get Houston and he probably moves their ladder position for their future first by a couple of spots.

Meanwhile, we’ll use it on a kid who won’t impact our ladder finish!

Wishful thinking? Maybe? But worth raising it 

• Like 7

6 hours ago, dazzledavey36 said:

I’d be shocked if we took Jagga and surprised if we took Draper. Look at the quotes from the age article.

On Smith:

The general view is that he is, perhaps, not as talented or damaging as some in this range.

On Draper:

Draper’s kicking skills and decision-making are considered a tad below some of the best midfielders in this crop.

I reckon the Kako mail might be real (of course it probably gets matched) but failing that we go hard for a tall or even someone like Travaglia 

9 minutes ago, DeeSpencer said:

I’d be shocked if we took Jagga and surprised if we took Draper. Look at the quotes from the age article.

On Smith:

The general view is that he is, perhaps, not as talented or damaging as some in this range.

On Draper:

Draper’s kicking skills and decision-making are considered a tad below some of the best midfielders in this crop.

I reckon the Kako mail might be real (of course it probably gets matched) but failing that we go hard for a tall or even someone like Travaglia 

Trading down a few spots, perhaps with the Don's, may be a play

Will also give us more picks to play with, to try and grab GCS' P13

Edited by adonski

2 minutes ago, DeeSpencer said:

On Smith:

On Draper:

You do realise every draftee has faults and deficiencies that will need improving coming into an AFL system right..

• Like 1