The Draft Pick Upgrade Thread

3 hours ago, Moonshadow said:

Can they live trade to avoid burning 9 after the bid has been made by us or saints?

Is this rule different from last year?

I'm not up to speed with this. TIA

If I'm Essendon, I'm trading back to 2 late teens picks with GWS, Richmond or Sydney and using one to cover Kako and the other in the draft.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, old55 said:

If I'm Essendon, I'm trading back to 2 late teens picks with GWS, Richmond or Sydney and using one to cover Kako and the other in the draft.

How do they cover Kako with a late teen pick if he's bid on by us at 5 or Saints by their two picks under 10?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Moonshadow said:

How do they cover Kako with a late teen pick if he's bid on by us at 5 or Saints by their two picks under 10?

True, if he's bid on at 6 (Ashcroft bid pushing things back a pick) they'll need 9 to fully cover it. If he's bid on at 9 then 14 will fully cover it. They need to have some alternative plans already agreed and in place on draft night.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Moonshadow said:

Draft math time.

Dees bid on Kako @ pick 6

6 = 1751 points

Bombers get a 20% discount so need 1400 points.

Bombers trade 9 for GWS for 16 and 17.

16 = 1067 points

Leaving them 333 points short. From here, they can trade 17 down again for further points to match. Or the pick slides back by that amount. In this case, 333 point deficit pushes pick 17 out to 28.

So essentially turn 9 into Kako and pick 28 (or an earlier pick if split with another club wanting pick 17) if they deal with GWS.

Of course other bids for academy players like Lombard and Marshall will affect this.

Bombers will then weigh up their ideal outcome.

Kako + 28 - by trading down (with GWS specifically)

or

Pick 6 + Kako - by using their future 1st plus extra draft picks to get ahead of a Kako bid. (Not sure they have enough here to entice a club to do this).

The may even hope to trade in an earlier 1st round pick and hope Kako slides past 9 to give them say 6, 9 and Kako. Highly unlikely I would think.

Or 

Trade out of pick 9 downwards and into the future. Example might be dees offer Future 1st plus picks 28, 47, 53 to give them points to match a Kako bid. 

Kako + dees f1

• Like 3
  • Clap 2

Hope we are talking to Bombers about 9, as they are now in danger of losing it for Kaka, with Saints likely to bid for him.

We could offer future 1st and 28, that would be very good for them.

Wonder if they would have any interest in Laurie, who might want more opportunities.

• Like 5

32 minutes ago, Nascent said:

Draft math time.

Dees bid on Kako @ pick 6

6 = 1751 points

Bombers get a 20% discount so need 1400 points.

Bombers trade 9 for GWS for 16 and 17.

16 = 1067 points

Leaving them 333 points short. From here, they can trade 17 down again for further points to match. Or the pick slides back by that amount. In this case, 333 point deficit pushes pick 17 out to 28.

So essentially turn 9 into Kako and pick 28 (or an earlier pick if split with another club wanting pick 17) if they deal with GWS.

Of course other bids for academy players like Lombard and Marshall will affect this.

Bombers will then weigh up their ideal outcome.

Kako + 28 - by trading down (with GWS specifically)

or

Pick 6 + Kako - by using their future 1st plus extra draft picks to get ahead of a Kako bid. (Not sure they have enough here to entice a club to do this).

The may even hope to trade in an earlier 1st round pick and hope Kako slides past 9 to give them say 6, 9 and Kako. Highly unlikely I would think.

Or 

Trade out of pick 9 downwards and into the future. Example might be dees offer Future 1st plus picks 28, 47, 53 to give them points to match a Kako bid. 

Kako + dees f1

Have you been working with #ETtradewhisperer ?

200 (5).gif

Edited by Moonshadow
  • Haha 3

BOMBERS PONDER OPTIONS ON TOP PICK
ESSENDON has conceded it will be difficult to move up the draft order and get in ahead of an Isaac Kako bid, with the Bombers now listening to rival offers for their No.9 selection.

As reported by AFL.com.au on Wednesday, Melbourne is among the teams expected to come hard for pick No.9 as Essendon ponders moving the selection back or into the future to avoid it being absorbed by an earlier bid on Kako.

Speaking to AFL.com.au's Gettable on Thursday, Bombers list manager Matt Rosa revealed the club had tried to get up the order but said it is unlikely such a possibility would eventuate.

"We've explored that," Rosa said.

"We've spoken to some clubs ahead of us to see if there's the potential of moving up. But I think, as time goes on, we've really realised that it's going to be hard to potentially move up in this draft. Everyone is valuing those high picks. It's something that we'll keep exploring, but I would say it's unlikely at this stage."

Instead, Essendon is more likely to move the pick back – subsequently amassing more points to match a bid on Kako – or into the future, to ensure it doesn't get lost completely when a bid on the small forward is placed.

"We're still living in a space where we're just assessing all of our options," Rosa said.

"We have had some offers and some interest in that pick No.9, whether it be for us to move back and potentially move into the future. We're in a position where we've just really got to listen to all opportunities.

"Clearly, the pointy end of this draft is strong. It would need to be quite a special offer for us to consider giving up that pick No.9 at this stage. But we're listening to all options at the moment."

Essendon could wait through the Trade Period and into draft night before deciding on whether it shifts pick No.9, with the club hopeful of using three or four selections at this year's draft. – Riley Beveridge

Edited by Nascent
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 3

3 minutes ago, Nascent said:

ESSENDON has conceded it will be difficult to move up the draft order and get in ahead of an Isaac Kako bid, with the Bombers now listening to rival offers for their No.9 selection.

As reported by AFL.com.au on Wednesday, Melbourne is among the teams expected to come hard for pick No.9 as Essendon ponders moving the selection back or into the future to avoid it being absorbed by an earlier bid on Kako.

Speaking to AFL.com.au's Gettable on Thursday, Bombers list manager Matt Rosa revealed the club had tried to get up the order but said it is unlikely such a possibility would eventuate.

"We've spoken to some clubs ahead of us to see if there's the potential of moving up. But I think, as time goes on, we've really realised that it's going to be hard to potentially move up in this draft. Everyone is valuing those high picks. It's something that we'll keep exploring, but I would say it's unlikely at this stage."

MNCU18BVMVC24JC0020.jpg?width=1064&heigh

Isaac Kako celebrates a goal during Vic Metro's Marsh U18 National Championships Boys match against Vic Country on July 14, 2024. Picture: AFL Photos

Instead, Essendon is more likely to move the pick back – subsequently amassing more points to match a bid on Kako – or into the future, to ensure it doesn't get lost completely when a bid on the small forward is placed.

"We're still living in a space where we're just assessing all of our options," Rosa said.

"We have had some offers and some interest in that pick No.9, whether it be for us to move back and potentially move into the future. We're in a position where we've just really got to listen to all opportunities.

"Clearly, the pointy end of this draft is strong. It would need to be quite a special offer for us to consider giving up that pick No.9 at this stage. But we're listening to all options at the moment."

Essendon could wait through the Trade Period and into draft night before deciding on whether it shifts pick No.9, with the club hopeful of using three or four selections at this year's draft. – Riley Beveridge

Edit: Apologies for font size.

You don’t possibly have a larger font do you? I’m having a little trouble reading your post.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, Nascent said:

ESSENDON has conceded it will be difficult to move up the draft order and get in ahead of an Isaac Kako bid, with the Bombers now listening to rival offers for their No.9 selection.

As reported by AFL.com.au on Wednesday, Melbourne is among the teams expected to come hard for pick No.9 as Essendon ponders moving the selection back or into the future to avoid it being absorbed by an earlier bid on Kako.

Speaking to AFL.com.au's Gettable on Thursday, Bombers list manager Matt Rosa revealed the club had tried to get up the order but said it is unlikely such a possibility would eventuate.

Essendon could wait through the Trade Period and into draft night before deciding on whether it shifts pick No.9, with the club hopeful of using three or four selections at this year's draft. – Riley Beveridge

I suspect the Demons are all over this.

We would definitely be keen to do a deal with Essendon to obtain pick #9 from them.

I think our future 1st round pick and an assorted selection of other picks in later rounds gets it done.

Essendon get Isaac Kako and two 1st round picks in 2025 (the Demons and their own) and we get their pick #9 (as well as our own pick #6). It is a win-win situation, but it all depends on if Essendon think that's fair or not.

Edited by Supreme_Demon
  • Like 4

6 minutes ago, Supreme_Demon said:

We would definitely be keen to do a deal with Essendon to obtain pick #9 from them.

I think our future 1st round pick and an assorted selection of other picks in later rounds gets it done.

Essendon get Isaac Kako and two 1st round picks in 2025 (the Demons and their own) and we get their pick #9 (as well as our own pick #6). It is a win-win situation, but it all depends on if Essendon think that's fair or not.

Thankfully Dododododo isn't there anymore.

He'd want our F1, F2, Windsor and JVR for #9

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Oxdee said:

Ok.. watched him.. he looks good. Unlikely to be a top 5 pick. More like 10-20. 

I think he fits 6-12 but we are telling Essendon we are taking them until they trade us pick 9. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Supreme_Demon said:

We could agree beforehand to trade  our future first and 28 (and maybe our third rounders to bolster points for Bombers) for 9, but manage via live trading.

Our leverage is willingness to bid…we don’t really want to leave that to Saints. We bid, Bombers then have time to trade, we exchange F1st & 3rd rounders via live trade and then they match bid. The remaining Bomber picks get reallocated following the bid match.

Then separately we live trade 28 for something like a Bomber future 3rd and they get to select a player in the second round. We would use pick 7 and newly acquired p11 and the Swans 2nd rounder if we still have it at that point.

• Like 2

So we give a future 1st round and pick 28 to Essendon for pick 9. Trade 37 for Sharp and 45 for Derksen. Trade week done now I can sleep at night.

So our squad could look like this.

B: Lever, May, McVee

HB: Salem, McDonald, Rivers

C: Windsor, Petracca, Langdon

HF: Pickett, Petty, Chandler

F: Fritsch, van Rooyen, Turner

FOLL: Gawn, Oliver, Viney

IC: Howes, Sparrow, Tholstrup, Melksham, Pick 5

Casey

B: Hore, Adams, Moniz-Wakefield

HB: Bowey, Derksen, Woewodin

C: Billings, Laurie, Sharp

HF: Spargo, Kentfield, Sestan

F: McAdam, Jefferson, Fullerton

FOLL: Campbell, Pick 9, Brown

IC: Yze (pick 50), Mentha (rookie B), Verrall, Steele, Casey player 

As it stands we’ve got pick 5, if we could add pick 9, maybe add Brisbanes pick 18 by adding sweetener’s to a Harry Sharp trade and then see what happens with Oliver……we could end up with 4-5 picks in the top 28, that’d help set us up for the future. Yes I know all speculation atm. 

41 minutes ago, layzie said:

Dodoro would have wanted our future first and our kidneys. 

He probably would.

But he's gone now, thankfully!

I know some Essendon supporters loved Dodo but others hated him and blame him for some of their woes.

Hopefully we can reach a fair deal with Essendon to obtain pick #9 in the draft.

We should definitely show interest in Isaac Kako if St. Kilda are doing so as well. Just to keep Essendon worried that they may lose him.

Trade radio mentioned we have offered a f1st and 2nd for Don's pick 9. Good offer, a bit overs points wise probably but I think all depends on we finish next year. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Redleg said:

Hope we are talking to Bombers about 9, as they are now in danger of losing it for Kaka, with Saints likely to bid for him.

We could offer future 1st and 28, that would be very good for them.

Wonder if they would have any interest in Laurie, who might want more opportunities.

Think Port Melbourne would be interested in Laurie, not Bombers

• Like 1
  • Haha 2