Welcome to Demonland: Tom Campbell

titan_uranus

If the recruitment of this bloke means JvR spends 100% of his TOG in the forward line, I'm all for it.

• Like 4
  • Love 4

1 hour ago, deelusions from afar said:

Surely they're not planning to play Campbell with Gawn?  More as insurance if he's injured / needs a rest?

Yep. There’s little to no chance IMO that Campbell and Gawn line up in the same side. 

• Like 5

On 23/09/2024 at 16:36, drdrake said:

What about Liam Reidy from the dockers, third in line there big unit 24 years old, Victorian lad, wouldn't cost a lot.

Any mongrel therein?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, deelusions from afar said:

Surely they're not planning to play Campbell with Gawn?  More as insurance if he's injured / needs a rest?

What about against the sides that have x2 genuine rucks like Freo (possibly others?)?

I wouldn't write it off all together, but agree that it's not our intention to have them both regularly in the same side.

I really do hope it means we're not playing Max if he's carrying injuries that he would benefit from resting a week, where this year he would have played because we had no quality backup option.

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, Demonland said:

Just a little  bit of the Ben Brown about him? Can't be unhappy with that.

• Like 7

On 09/10/2024 at 04:16, Old Time Demon said:

Tom Campbell is an advocate of climate change strategies and founded the organisation Footy for Climate. 

Looks quite wind-blown. I wonder how many bats he has killed over the years. 

• Thinking 1

16 hours ago, Timothy Reddan-A'Blew said:

Just a little  bit of the Ben Brown about him? Can't be unhappy with that.

Agree why don’t we use BBB or looking at Tom in our pressers at times? 

They sound so logical and smart it would possibly intimidate the Maclures and Barrett’s of the world for a while.? 

• Like 2

On 09/10/2024 at 16:00, jumbo returns said:

Me too

Just get a big body in there

That won’t change I don’t think he will only play if we think a back up is necessary against a certain Club possibly say Freo or Saints. 

I disagree about JVR as I believe he will IMO still be our forward/ruck relief for about 80% of game time and kick 40/45 per season as he develops still. 

I think he will still mature quicker having this back up role and playing kick behind play also at times. The other forwards Disco Harry Jeffo Fritta and the smalls can move around to cause some confusion for the opposition. 

On 06/10/2024 at 14:39, Young Blood said:

Nah more like Darcy Forte actually. Campbell can actually ruck unlike Fullarton.

Brisbane just won a GF because in a break glass situation where their no.1 ruck went down, they had an back up ruck (31) who was adequate, experienced and was able to compete with Grundy and help his midfield.

If Campbell was playing for MFC this year he would have come straight in with how consistently he performed at VFL level. 

31 years or no 31?

(Harris Andrew’s is no 31 for Lions) btw. 

• Haha 1

On 04/10/2024 at 15:15, higgsy75 said:

Welcome Tom.

Basically admitting that we stuffed up last year, but now have a 2nd ruck who would be able to fill in if needed and gives another year to assess Verrall.

Not just last year but in 2023 !! 

On 04/10/2024 at 17:51, picket fence said:

About as good as Fullarton! Another maestro move by our recruiting team!

You haven’t read or if so misunderstood his CV. 

He has been 2nd ruck for about 10 years genuinely. 

On 12/10/2024 at 12:11, 58er said:

That won’t change I don’t think he will only play if we think a back up is necessary against a certain Club possibly say Freo or Saints. 

I disagree about JVR as I believe he will IMO still be our forward/ruck relief for about 80% of game time and kick 40/45 per season as he develops still. 

I think he will still mature quicker having this back up role and playing kick behind play also at times. The other forwards Disco Harry Jeffo Fritta and the smalls can move around to cause some confusion for the opposition. 

JVR needs to stay in the game and develop as a big forward for us. We haven’t had any level of impact from a big forward since Neitz and Hogan. How many times in a game does Jesse Hogan ruck? 

• Like 1

On 12/10/2024 at 12:21, 58er said:

You haven’t read or if so misunderstood his CV. 

He has been 2nd ruck for about 10 years genuinely. 

You know I think the benifit of having someone like Tom as that backup ruck option, is that he seems genuinely just happy to be still at an AFL club and a part of that environment and happy enough just to keep doing his thing in the twos for as long as is required while Max is fit and firing.  I'm not knocking Grundy, but I think someone like him who was capable of playing regular AFL would have been super frustrated not playing at the top level and even as professional and free of ego that he seemed to project.

I know he probably can't play the key forward role, but if Tom can make a similar contribution to our list as say Peddo or perhaps Mitch Brown, then I think we've done all right.

• Like 2

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.