Email from Peter Lawrence

Satan

2 hours ago, Fromgotowoewodin said:

“Independent review” is a myth.

we didn’t drag ourselves out of the mud with independent reviews, the AFL put Jackson and Roos in charge and they ran the club as a proper club should run. Maybe we need change at the footy department but a review won’t tell you that. The board and CEO need to make their judgements and act on them, which we can’t do at the current time with all the noise going on as it would be an absolute feeding frenzy from the journos. 

Then in late 2020 after a poor year just missing finals, Pert conducted an INTERNAL footy dept. review.

Flag next year.  Iv'e seen enough of big 4 consultants to advise avoiidng the etxernal process.  Unless you want to write a big cheque for something that we already know.

Only Christian can dig himself out of this hole.

All other clubs are collapsing to demands on long term contacrs being torn up.

Dees aren't. Where I come from a deal is a deal. Hold firm Dees and set the standard of maturity here.

AFL is so second rate in terms of culture.

e.g why can't players nominate their next club in the prior season to signal their intentions.  ? You contract for 6 years you play out your time.

Why won't the likely 30 or so gay players come out (not that they need to), but they would fear the consequenses of the AFL public trolls.

• Like 2
  • Clap 1

Again, a list of the issues that need reviewing, not the footy department, and not hearsay.

The Footy Department will have an end of season review, to try and figure out what went wrong, maybe it was Pert and Roffey taking the midfield/forward connection, or coaching the centre square stoppages, I knew we shouldn't have involved them. But seriously the footy review has already started, Stafford, Schache, Ferris White out, some of the young players re signed to longer deals etc etc.

I suspect that Peter Lawrence is a member of Demonland and possibly(?) engaging in this thread. Could @Demonland please reveal the name under which Mr Lawrence does post on these forums… surely he couldn’t object, all things considered!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Facepalm 1
  • Thinking 1

5 minutes ago, Satyriconhome said:

Again, a list of the issues that need reviewing, not the footy department, and not hearsay.

The Footy Department will have an end of season review, to try and figure out what went wrong, maybe it was Pert and Roffey taking the midfield/forward connection, or coaching the centre square stoppages, I knew we shouldn't have involved them. But seriously the footy review has already started, Stafford, Schache, Ferris White out, some of the young players re signed to longer deals etc etc.

I thought the idea of a review is identify whether it be internal or external and the departments to be included.

Invite a panel to do the review.

The panel to identify issues and offer recommendations 

The board and club to then decide on what recommendations to adopt.

Sounds deal to me given the current climate.

2 hours ago, Supreme_Demon said:

I read the email and watched the little video from Deemocracy.

Unfortunately, Peter Lawrence doesn't have enough support to get things going in the direction he wants and has probably annoyed many Melbourne Demons members with his emails and flyers etc.

Nevertheless, I do agree that an independent/external review of the Melbourne Football Club is required. Particularly, in relation to the current fiasco that is going on with if Christian Petracca will stay a Demon or go to another Victorian Club. Losing Christian Petracca will be just as devastating as losing Ronald Dale Barassi at the end of 1964 in my opinion. It will definitely upset many young Demons supporters.

There is also the lingering frustration of how our issue of not having a proper Home Base (now expected to be at Caulfield Racecourse) has dragged on and on for decades now!

Whether or not an independent/external review actually happens at the Melbourne Football Club is another story altogether. It may open a very ugly can of worms....

Or help dismantle a very recent successful club, but what the f we are unhappy so let’s torch the place.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Cyclops said:

I thought the idea of a review is identify whether it be internal or external and the departments to be included.

Invite a panel to do the review.

The panel to identify issues and offer recommendations 

The board and club to then decide on what recommendations to adopt.

Sounds deal to me given the current climate.

No sorry, you don't get out of it that easy, what issues need reviewing, you and other posters say there are major issues with the club, what are they?

• Thanks 1
  • Facepalm 1

1 hour ago, Cyclops said:

Sorry Saty, I don't  get any of it. Seems your email or letter was received after the election that was never gazetted or held. You can't be elected without an election.

A point lost on some 😉

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Satyriconhome said:

No sorry, you don't get out of it that easy, what issues need reviewing, you and other posters say there are major issues with the club, what are they?

I do get out of it Saty because until now I have never mentioned a review only about elections.

Nor have I said there are any issues only that a panel could identify them is there were any.

Your not on your game Saty. 

50 minutes ago, Satyriconhome said:

It was not the Club that started the legal issues, we have 2 driven by 2 egos who think they have been wronged.

What do you want Pert to say "we have nothing to report on the Home Base" If there is progress I assume we will be informed, probably during the AGM unless Lawrence and his little band of sycophants try and disrupt it again with meaningless questions.

What are the reasons?, nobody has said what they are and I am not expecting anybody to provide any, it is just mob rule.

A clean bill of health for what?

"What do we want?"...."Er' When do want it?"..."What?"

You have confidence in the current board. On what do you base that confidence. You sound like you are close to the club so I'm happy to hear why you think the board is doing ok. genuine question i'm not trying to be difficult.

and just to be clear

1. i wouldn't vote to have Peter Lawrence on the board. He's a passionate supporter and has done a lot for the club but he doesn't have the credentials for the job. And he certainty should not be part of any review of the club.

2. i'm in favour of board stability. but only for so long. The home base, for example, is a promise that has not been delivered on. There has to be accountability at some stage.

3. Ego driven or not the club is involved in 2 legal cases. the judgment in the case brought by Peter Lawrence does not paint the club in a favourable light. And the comms around this to members was very disingenuous to say the least. Thats a red flag in my book.

And as i've said i don;t understand why regular reviews are a bad thing. If Peter Jackson was to review the club tomorrow, what would be wrong with that? He knows the place and knows what is best practice in running a footy club. I don't see the problem. I really don't.

• Like 4
  • Thinking 1

Let's not conflate the issues. 

1. The club needs at lot of work.  I want to see a good review.

2.What I don't need someone crossing a line and going to court to get my private details which I hold very sacred.

The last thing I want is to have the type of person responsible for point 2 to have anything to do with the running of my football club.

Edited by Guest

3 hours ago, Stretch Johnson said:

I am guessing all members received the email.

My question is who is he and how in a hell full of demons did he get my email address?

The club sent an email regarding this a week or so ago. They advised that they were legally required to provide members email details. 

43 minutes ago, Satyriconhome said:

Cultural Issues

Performance Issues
Two straight set exits, and a disaster of a season which ended in finishing 14th on the ladder. A huge drop. Many issues to be addressed there including game style, physical fitness and management, selection integrity, and football department staff and makeup.

Home Base Progress
An obvious one yes, but the talk of having a president with a specific mandate and skill set in the area being selectively excluded by choice of other parties is worth investigating.

Member/Supporter Communications
These have been infrequent, poorly done, and sometimes found to not be completely accurate in the long run.

List Management
Multiple missteps in the area. Related to selection integrity - the loss of quality depth due lack of opportunity when deserved. Our best player, and potentially others, requesting to depart the club due to various issues with the club itself.

Legal Failures
With both the separate court cases that are potentially ongoing. The one from this thread having a fairly poor result upon reflection for the club given what they have undertaken. The second looking increasingly like the club may also have a foot on the wrong side of the story. If for no other reason than the financial impact to the club this is well worth a forensic look.

That's for a start anyway.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Clap 2

The email, of course, was not sent to those under 18 years of age? Nor was it sent to those who are not financial.

A  Iam 74 at the end of the week and have been a paid up member of the redlegs supprters group for the last 42 years the above does not apply, I would be surprised if he sent me one after I contacted him last year.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

4 minutes ago, drysdale demon said:

A  Iam 74 at the end of the week and have been a paid up member of the redlegs supprters group for the last 42 years the above does not apply, I would be surprised if he sent me one after I contacted him last year.

Congratulations on both achievements.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, FreedFromDesire said:

Cultural Issues

Performance Issues
Two straight set exits, and a disaster of a season which ended in finishing 14th on the ladder. A huge drop. Many issues to be addressed there including game style, physical fitness and management, selection integrity, and football department staff and makeup.

Home Base Progress
An obvious one yes, but the talk of having a president with a specific mandate and skill set in the area being selectively excluded by choice of other parties is worth investigating.

Member/Supporter Communications
These have been infrequent, poorly done, and sometimes found to not be completely accurate in the long run.

List Management
Multiple missteps in the area. Related to selection integrity - the loss of quality depth due lack of opportunity when deserved. Our best player, and potentially others, requesting to depart the club due to various issues with the club itself.

Legal Failures
With both the separate court cases that are potentially ongoing. The one from this thread having a fairly poor result upon reflection for the club given what they have undertaken. The second looking increasingly like the club may also have a foot on the wrong side of the story. If for no other reason than the financial impact to the club this is well worth a forensic look.

That's for a start anyway.

Apologies Demonland. I did try to summize the cultural issues section without crossing into risky territory, but I can completely understand you don't wish to go into it even without details. Thank you for editing out the risky bits but keeping the rest of the post. Appreciated.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, FreedFromDesire said:

Apologies Demonland. I did try to summize the cultural issues section without crossing into risky territory, but I can completely understand you don't wish to go into it even without details. Thank you for editing out the risky bits but keeping the rest of the post. Appreciated.

So you want a board to interfere with the football department and list management then, we have 2 home bases won a flag with them, as it has been mentioned before the club didn’t instigate these actions as for information that's your opinion not mine i don'tneed to be spoon-fed with info just to be happy, all I can say glad you are not on the board running the club.

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 2

2 minutes ago, demon3165 said:

So you want a board to interfere with the football department and list management then, we have 2 home bases won a flag with them, as it has been mentioned before the club didn’t instigate these actions as for information that's your opinion not mine i don'tneed to be spoon-fed with info just to be happy, all I can say glad you are not on the board running the club.

Sorry, I'm really not sure at all what you're talking about here.

Another poster asked what an external review would address and I provided a starting list of issues.

3 hours ago, demon3165 said:

And what gross failings are those, please list them with facts not hearsay?

Good heavens. You only have to read last week’s judgment to see how appallingly the Board has behaved .  I cite one example, following the ridiculously triumphant statement from the President. “ we will pursue Lawrence for our costs “. If they do, they will look even more stupid. . In fact I’m hoping they do so, in order to see what a truly independent person, Justice O’Callaghan has to say about the matter 

3 hours ago, demon3165 said:

And what gross failings are those, please list them with facts not hearsay?

• Like 2
  • Clap 1

2 hours ago, BangBnagBang said:

I'lll listen to him when he pays the 1000 of dollars back to the club for the court cost

I promise you mate, it’s most unlikely he will be ordered to. He won the 2022 case in the Supreme Court, the MFC had to pay his costs 

• Like 1

I do get out of it Saty because until now I have never mentioned a review only about elections.

Nor have I said there are any issues only that a panel could identify them is there were any.

Your not on your game Saty. 

Sorry, no surely elections are part of the review?

And a panel to identify if any, I thought. a lot of posters on here know what they are, they just can't say.