Welcome to Demonland: Pick #5

1 hour ago, Gator said:

I'm genuinely not qualified to answer, but will keep looking at their videos.

None look Gulden good, but they all seem pretty solid.

On limited viewing I'd have Smillie and Langford as better kicks than Lalor, but I still prefer Lalor's all round game.  And it's not as though it's a major weakness.

But others may have a different take.

There's few players who are Gulden good.

If not elite, the key is any player we draft in has to be at least reliable by foot.

And trade in for that matter.

• Like 1

A lot of our kicking issues are related to how we play, game plan, and also, a lack of actual leg speed and an ability to clear away from being under pressure or from congestion or stoppages

In isolation and when in the clear, Oliver, Viney, Petracca, Rivers & Langdon can all deliver the ball quite well

But we can often only judge on what we actually witness.  And it often isn't pretty

But for a first year player, Windsor is an excellent kick to position ... he just happens to have an excellent turn of foot, especially the first 2 or 3 steps

Earlier in the year (before the season started) I remarked here that we really need to get our midfield schemes right

End result - having a player in the clear with the time and space to deliver the ball well, further afield.  From any given stoppage

Same rule applies when we win the ball back in any part of the ground

It's actually quite a basic fundamental of footy and we see other teams being able to do it with a minimum of fuss

In the old days the above was just simply called teamwork or sharing the ball until a player is in the clear

And we have ourselves been quite efficient in that area previously, but we have to go back to the last half of the 2021 season to see those efficient schemes on a consistent basis

Edited by Macca
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, manny100 said:

Rookie me link to August 24 rankings below.

They have Reid at 6 and Lalor at 7. Because of Ashcroft our pick is effectively 6.

AFL Draft Power Rankings: August 2024 - Aussie Rules Rookie Me Central

I would have Langford, Lalor, Lindsay all ahead of Reid. 

Sam Lalor - is a Dusty Martin/Cam Rayner type.  Likes physical style of play but also has the skills and decision making to support his top 5 status.  Kicks to advantage and creates. Midfield - forward type.  

Harvey Langford - plays like the Bont. 190cms. Bigger midfielder. Contested ball runner.  Can mark forward and hit the scoreboard.   Long left foot.  Can hit targets but not elite skills. Getting better as the year progresses.  Dominating games.  

Xavier Lindsay - plays like Josh Kelly.  Midfielder/half back. Elite left foot kick. Slightly built but excellent step and evasive skills. Can play inside but likely outside running mid in AFL. Unfortunately now injured and unlikely to be in finals of at draft combine.  

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, spirit of norm smith said:

Sam Lalor - is a Dusty Martin/Cam Rayner type.  Likes physical style of play but also has the skills and decision making to support his top 5 status.  Kicks to advantage and creates. Midfield - forward type.  

Harvey Langford - plays like the Bont. 190cms. Bigger midfielder. Contested ball runner.  Can mark forward and hit the scoreboard.   Long left foot.  Can hit targets but not elite skills. Getting better as the year progresses.  Dominating games.  

Xavier Lindsay - plays like Josh Kelly.  Midfielder/half back. Elite left foot kick. Slightly built but excellent step and evasive skills. Can play inside but likely outside running mid in AFL. Unfortunately now injured and unlikely to be in finals of at draft combine.  

Twomey's Aug rankings have Reid at 6 and Draper at 7.  Armstrong KPF at 8.

ESPN Aug have Smillie at 7 and Travaglia at 8. Lindsay 9, Langford 10. Ashcroft and Lombardi both in top 5.

21 hours ago, DeeSpencer said:

Langford has size and aggression at the contest 

Lalor has that pure explosive power

Finn O’Sullivan is a classic swooper with balance and the ability to hit the ball at pace 

Murphy Reid is just incredible class and creativity.

And that’s without several other options.

It reminds me of 2017: Rayner, Brayshaw, Dow, LDU, Cerra, (Stephenson), Hunter Clark.

But I think these guys are better than most of those.

Just let JT now which one is Dow and we can avoid😉

Maybe … in a strange twist Finn O’Sullivan might slip to 5  

that would be Xmas 

He has star qualities 

Like a smaller version of LDU

Tigers see Harvey Langford as the next Bont and pick him #1 (could happen) 

(Levi Ashcroft bid matched by Lions) 

Kangas go taller at 2 with Trainor 

Eagles see Jagga Smith as the perfect wingman for Reid 

Crows want homegrown star Sid Draper 

Dees get to pick O’Sullivan 

though he’s still likely at pick 1 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

On 01/09/2024 at 21:18, spirit of norm smith said:

Langford/Lalor and Lindsay would be the dream if we can nab another first rounder 

Between them Windsor and Kolt, we will have rejuvenated our younger midfield stocks in two drafts - all would have unique traits from one another too 

• Like 1
  • Clap 1

On 01/09/2024 at 15:06, Gator said:

I agree with the mids philosophy for this draft.

Out of Langford, Smillie and Lalor I like Lalor based on admittedly scant viewing.  I just like the way he moves, makes decisions and his speed looks good.  A nice size at 187cm also.

So I keep coming back to Lalor.  Others may prefer Murphy and the elusive skinnier types, who'll bulk up in time. 

He may be a bit one sided.

Edited by Damo
Its a joke Joyce. He and other rebellious miners were driven out of the Eureka Stockade on December 3, and Peter Lalor was wounded in the assault and lost an arm.
  • Haha 3

11 minutes ago, demoncat said:

Langford/Lalor and Lindsay would be the dream if we can nab another first rounder 

Between them Windsor and Kolt, we will have rejuvenated our younger midfield stocks in two drafts - all would have unique traits from one another too 

The one I like is Connor Hynes and someone mentioned we'd interviewed him recently. Big bodied mid that can play forward. He's likely to be there around pick 15ish.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Adam The God said:

The one I like is Connor Hynes and someone mentioned we'd interviewed him recently. Big bodied mid that can play forward. He's likely to be there around pick 15ish.

This is why I’m not against splitting pick 5- we’d be able to pick two from the following- Lindsay, Travaglia, Berry, Hynes or Tauru or anybody that slides or JT really fancies. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Colm said:

This is why I’m not against splitting pick 5- we’d be able to pick two from the following- Lindsay, Travaglia, Berry, Hynes or Tauru or anybody that slides or JT really fancies. 

We are unlikely to get many opportunities to bring in a young player who can be the centrepiece of our future midfield. We have long term talls at each end but we've seen the weakness in our midfield once Clarry and Trac were out of the picture. I would be shocked if we didn't use our early pick to pick up a contested, centre square midfielder to be able to build around. 

To this end I think we'll keep 5 and, if anything, we're more likely to trade up than trade down. 

Edited by Axis of Bob
  • Like 13
  • Love 1
  • Clap 1

You probably right. We certainly could do with an A grade mid coming through the ranks. 
I guess it all depends on how JT views the draft. Given this draft is stacked with mids and is super even and deep- Cal has said it’s most even he has ever seen, there will be gems found right through this draft and if we give JT two picks inside the top 15 I’m sure he will find one and hopefully two. 

The other reason I think we should consider splitting is we don’t have a lot of draft capital, we currently have 5,38,45,51 &61 assume we get 25 back for Nibbler. 

IMO we need a mature ruck, and a mature mid as a min to be traded in. I think we need two more mids via trade or draft and a small forward. Thats a lot of holes to fill and if we blow pick 5 on one player then we don’t have a heap of good picks after that. 

Edited by Colm

8 minutes ago, Colm said:

You probably right. We certainly could do with an A grade mid coming through the ranks. 
I guess it all depends on how JT views the draft. Given this draft is stacked with mids and is super even and deep- Cal has said it’s most even he has ever seen, there will be gems found right through this draft and if we give JT two picks inside the top 15 I’m sure he will find one and hopefully two. 

The other reason I think we should consider splitting is we don’t have a lot of draft capital, we currently have 5,38,45,51 &61 assume we get 25 back for Nibbler. 
IMO we need a mature ruck, and a mature mid as a min to be traded in. I think we need two more mids via trade or draft and a small forward. Thats a lot of holes to fill and if we blow pick 5 on one player then we don’t have a heap of good picks after that. 

I wonder if there is any chance the club may consider trading next years first rounder into this year to have another pick in the first round? Probably depends a little bit on what we would require to draft Kalani White next year I presume. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Bonkers said:

I wonder if there is any chance the club may consider trading next years first rounder into this year to have another pick in the first round? Probably depends a little bit on what we would require to draft Kalani White next year I presume. 

Convincing Kalani to come to the club was always going to be a challenge, and will be even more so after the last month or so that we’ve had where we’re probably on the nose more than any other club in the competition. 

People seem to think that just because he’s grown up as a Dees supporter that it’s a done deal that he’ll choose us. I hope they’re right. But the lure of being able to play in front of his family and friends in his home town with mates that he’s grown up playing footy with every week would be really significant too.

These kids aren’t nuffie supporters like us - they’re becoming more and more professional at a young age and he’ll play where he and his family see the brightest future for himself. Keep in mind that Nick Daicos wasn’t even a Collingwood supporter growing up, he followed Carlton! Rightly or (largely) wrongly there aren’t many mothers who’d want to send their kids interstate to play for us at the moment with the amount of scuttlebutt floating around about the off field culture of the club.

So I’d suggest those thinking Kalani to the Dees is a fait accompli might be advised to lower their expectations a little just in case they get burnt.

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, Bonkers said:

Would be nice, but given the strength of this year's midfield, it's hard to see clubs giving up those picks unless it's for overs

In short, every club may try, but every club is onto it.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Colm said:

We certainly could do with an A grade mid coming through the ranks. 

I suppose my basis for saying it is that we made similar types of offer in the past for specific players that we really like. We offered multiple first round picks to move up the draft for Harley Reid and also for Bailey Humphrey, who are both strong, powerful inside mid/forward types. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Axis of Bob said:

We are unlikely to get many opportunities to bring in a young player who can be the centrepiece of our future midfield. We have long term talls at each end but we've seen the weakness in our midfield once Clarry and Trac were out of the picture. I would be shocked if we didn't use our early pick to pick up a contested, centre square midfielder to be able to build around. 

To this end I think we'll keep 5 and, if anything, we're more likely to trade up than trade down. 

Mate, who do you like for our pick, versus who do you think we'll pick if different?

And I completely agree on the above.

@Colm, I was thinking Hynes if we can trade our future 1st for a later first rounder. I reckon Langford or Lalor at our first pick, and then Hynes at that 15-20 mark.

Edited by Adam The God
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Bonkers said:

I wonder if there is any chance the club may consider trading next years first rounder into this year to have another pick in the first round?

As proven credit card junkies unfussed by high interest rates, I'd imagine it's closer to a certainty than a chance, if we can, especially considering the introduction of future future trading next year. I'm also guessing we rate ourselves to finish much higher next year, and will be hoping another club will gamble on a longer-term slip. 

That said, it's not likely going to be much to get too excited about. Probably a future first and the ANB return to push into around 19 or 20, if we're lucky. Then we'll do our best to get another pick in the mid-to-late 20s at a guess, through packaging or an unexpected departure. Something like a replica of the 2019 draft, but with a focus on mids. 

• Like 2