Draft Capital

16 minutes ago, manny100 said:

Use our 1st rounder in this draft for start. We need to add to our number of young potential elite players.

It will be pick 10 by the time we win next week. May as well just give it and ANB to Port for Dan Houston.

Edited by John Demonic
plus rumoured Josh battle saints compo in 1st round
  • Haha 1
  • Thinking 1
  • Sad 1
  • Vomit 1

4 hours ago, John Demonic said:

It will be pick 10 by the time we win next week. May as well just give it and ANB to Port for Dan Houston.

Dan Houston isn’t worth a top 10 pick. Let alone including ANB.

Maybe a future first for Houston, otherwise they’re looking at second rounders. (Rivers was 2nd round, I wouldn’t swap Rivers for Houston)

ANB + pick 7 to Adelaide for pick 4 would be my ideal.

• Thinking 2

If we were confident that Clarry could recapture his best form, I wouldn’t be against entertaining Petracca to be traded. He and ANB and possibly Sparrow would get us some decent picks for this years draft. I’d love to bring on 2 young gun mids and another small forward/small defender 

• Shocked 1
  • Vomit 1

Brisbane have two academy players coming. One of them is likely the first pick in the draft, the other will be an early second rounder. They only have three picks in the 2024 draft, so they desperately need points.

We should go after their first pick, which right now would be 14. We have two third round picks and a fourth round pick.

We could then even look at trading that to get further up. Maybe Adelaide would take ANB + 14 for 4.

We've traded strongly in the past to get back into the first round, I back us to do it again.

• Like 1
  • Thinking 1

Interesting thread quickly turned gross. But ploughing on;

Features of this draft;

Half a dozen legitimate gun midfielders at the pointy end.

A remarkable ten or so highly rated talls, mostly defenders, in the 10 to 30 range.

Noah Yze, the future star currently taking it easy to fox the other recruiters.

I've joked before about a nice simple 'Smillie and the Whitlocks' but even if the names change the estimated draft picks would still be ideal. That would mean nudging our first pick up a little, acquiring an additional pick mid first round, and shuffling another pick to the start of the second round. Eg, 6, 14, 25.

I'd happily move a future second round and package our existing 2nd/3rd rounds to make it happen.

None of this requires tossing away club champions, either.

Edited by Little Goffy
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, manny100 said:

Use our 1st rounder in this draft for start. We need to add to our number of young potential elite players.

Agreed. I feel we are akin to 2019, where we needed a few high pick draftees. I would be happy seeing us getting the best available talent or splitting our first pick for 2 1st rounders if that's achievable. Midfielders with pace would be ideal. 

• Like 2

Having a look at the AFL ladder and I was surprised how easily we could slip to receiving P5.  All it takes is:

1. St Kilda defeats Carlton by say 20 points
  2. We lose to Collingwood by say 25 points
  3. Gold Coast defeats Richmond by 50 points

All of the above seem very possible and this would see GC and the Saints pass us leaving us 14th - crazy noting we would finish with 11 wins.

It goes the other way in that if we beat Collingwood and Essendon lose (playing Brisbane) then we finish 10th and get P9.

St Kilda may get band 1 compo for Battle leaving as well which would push our pick out to 10 at best.

I'm tempted to say all in for the tank...... but I just hate Collingwood too much.

• Like 1

On 18/08/2024 at 07:57, SPC said:

If we were confident that Clarry could recapture his best form, I wouldn’t be against entertaining Petracca to be traded. He and ANB and possibly Sparrow would get us some decent picks for this years draft. I’d love to bring on 2 young gun mids and another small forward/small defender 

I am sure we would all love to - the inexactitudes of drafting though has bitten every club at some stage.  Morton, $cullduggery, Maric, Strauss etc spring to mind

On 18/08/2024 at 09:41, Little Goffy said:

Interesting thread quickly turned gross. But ploughing on;

Features of this draft;

Half a dozen legitimate gun midfielders at the pointy end.

A remarkable ten or so highly rated talls, mostly defenders, in the 10 to 30 range.

Noah Yze, the future star currently taking it easy to fox the other recruiters.

I've joked before about a nice simple 'Smillie and the Whitlocks' but even if the names change the estimated draft picks would still be ideal. That would mean nudging our first pick up a little, acquiring an additional pick mid first round, and shuffling another pick to the start of the second round. Eg, 6, 14, 25.

I'd happily move a future second round and package our existing 2nd/3rd rounds to make it happen.

None of this requires tossing away club champions, either.

Half a dozen legitimate potentially gun midfielders at the pointy end.  There. Corrected.

But I do trust JT way more than any of our previous talent seekers (at least since Jim Cardwell) and out traders.

Edited by monoccular

I believe there may be a bit to play out in terms of draft concessions for Tassie before the time comes. I don't remember exactly where, but I know it's been spoken about that while they will need to be given plenty of picks to build a list, the AFL is looking at the likely possibility of making a portion of them 'trade only' picks. This would mean clubs struggling at the time, or indeed clubs with players who may wish to make the move, will have the opportunity to stay in a good position with the draft. I do hope that's the case in the end, as it seems best for both Tassie and the existing teams.

Actually, have found the report about it below:

“What I can tell you tonight is it’s going to be very different to Gold Coast and Greater Western Sydney,” Landsberger began on Fox Footy’s Midweek Tackle.

“This is a clear mandate from the AFL: ‘We cannot have a team come in and win wooden spoon after wooden spoon and be uncompetitive and basically unwatchable.’

“My understanding is the big difference is that they’re going to get very similar draft concessions — it might be picks 1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 9, 10 and 11 — but they’re going to have to trade away multiple picks to land established stars.

“It’s a win-win for the competition.”

Revealed: ‘Very different’ way Tassie will poach rival stars amid $1.5m AFL bonus

Goodness, that Collingwood game was bracing. A fair few of our under 22s just aren't going to make it. 

I know you can't just pluck first round picks out of the sky, but if there's a way, we need to find it. 

Got to give Jason Taylor every chance to flex his professional muscles in November. 

• Like 3

On 19/08/2024 at 12:02, Deeko2 said:

Having a look at the AFL ladder and I was surprised how easily we could slip to receiving P5.  All it takes is:

1. St Kilda defeats Carlton by say 20 points
  2. We lose to Collingwood by say 25 points
  3. Gold Coast defeats Richmond by 50 points

All of the above seem very possible and this would see GC and the Saints pass us leaving us 14th - crazy noting we would finish with 11 wins.

It goes the other way in that if we beat Collingwood and Essendon lose (playing Brisbane) then we finish 10th and get P9.

St Kilda may get band 1 compo for Battle leaving as well which would push our pick out to 10 at best.

I'm tempted to say all in for the tank...... but I just hate Collingwood too much.

It's all coming together....

Let's go Saints!

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, spirit of norm smith said:

Pick 5 or pick 6 doesn’t matter. Either is fine. We need to hold the pick and not trade.  Any of Lalor, Langford or Lindsay would be great additions.  

Saints will get compensation for Josh Battle so it’s two picks , and if a player like O Sullivan or Draper slides saints will take them .

39 minutes ago, spirit of norm smith said:

Pick 5 or pick 6 doesn’t matter. Either is fine. We need to hold the pick and not trade.  Any of Lalor, Langford or Lindsay would be great additions.  

Pick 5 gives us first choice. JT understands this with his attempts to get higher in most drafts. Heis a professional and has the scores on the board