Nibbler requests trade back to SA

3 hours ago, spirit of norm smith said:

ANB. He has played 96 out of 97 games possible in the last 4 years.  Super consistent.  Super reliable.  ANB and MFC pick 51 for Crows pick 25.  They are getting a player who walks into their best group (7-8) and is a leader.  

crom nuffies seem to think they'll offer something far later as 'dees already said he's leaving'

i think they miss the bit where he's still under contract etc. and a deal has probably been tentatively in place for some time

• Like 7

I think ANB and McAdam for 25 is fair.

We kicked the tyres but would prefer a refund.  Sure it might look like we are giving them ANB for nothing, I'd prefer to say we are trading ANB for 25 and giving back the steak knives. 

Edited by Ouch!

12 minutes ago, rpfc said:

If this was reversed I would say ‘bad luck with that, we will get you a pick in the late thirties.’

But that is just me

Lucky for us footy clubs are not in the business of screwing each other.

What comes around goes around. We traded more than fairly for McAdams, and Adelaide will not want to short change us on Nibbler.

In this business, you get a lot more done being fair than you do stomping your feet like a petulant child. Just ask Dodoro. 

• Like 4
  • Clap 1

3 minutes ago, Jaded No More said:

What comes around goes around. We traded more than fairly for McAdams, and Adelaide will not want to short change us on Nibbler.

In this business, you get a lot more done being fair than you do stomping your feet like a petulant child. Just ask Dodoro. 

Crows are in the business of screwing everyone

3 hours ago, Jaded No More said:

kornes would definitely encourage some tantrums being thrown and picks refused

...which is why he'd struggle to maintain working relationships in an ongoing work situation

On 02/09/2024 at 22:31, DeeSpencer said:

Personally I think it’s great we honoured Nibbler although I do wish the messaging was a little firmer on the trade - if it needs to be.

But I will recognise we don’t know how much work has been done on a trade already and I suspect most of trade week is theatre. And ultimately he’s contracted to us so we do have the final leverage if Adelaide got really stupid. He can FIFO for games!

That said, getting lessons in the art of the deal from Hutchy who bought and sold a bunch of New Zealand radio stations at a massive loss, yeah nah.

I bet you could find Hutchy praising teams for ‘mature’ list management decisions in other years.

Agree. I suspect an in principle agreement was made before the announcement. Saying SA initially, vs just Crows was setting out some burley to see if PA might chip in with an offer, perhaps tied to Houston. 

Once PA didn't have a decent sniff ANB declared the Crows. Class act ANB and well managed by the Dees, honoured a favorite son and avoided unecessary drama (pleasingly)

Edited by Dee*ceiving
  • Like 4

On 02/09/2024 at 22:31, DeeSpencer said:

Personally I think it’s great we honoured Nibbler although I do wish the messaging was a little firmer on the trade - if it needs to be.

But I will recognise we don’t know how much work has been done on a trade already and I suspect most of trade week is theatre. And ultimately he’s contracted to us so we do have the final leverage if Adelaide got really stupid. He can FIFO for games!

That said, getting lessons in the art of the deal from Hutchy who bought and sold a bunch of New Zealand radio stations at a massive loss, yeah nah.

I bet you could find Hutchy praising teams for ‘mature’ list management decisions in other years.

in fairness to hutchy he bought the wildcats for $8m and then sold them for $40m three years later

he definitely knows how to spend other people's money

Edited by whatwhat say what

8 minutes ago, whatwhat say what said:

in fairness to hutchy he bought the wildcats for $8m and then sold them for $40m three years later

he definitely knows how to spend other people's money

That deal saved his bacon and I reckon he was lucky there was a crazy millionaire in Perth who decided he had to have them. 

Although basketball was a smart growth market to identify and he could use SEN to cross promote. 

21 minutes ago, DeeSpencer said:

That deal saved his bacon and I reckon he was lucky there was a crazy millionaire in Perth who decided he had to have them. 

Although basketball was a smart growth market to identify and he could use SEN to cross promote. 

the words yr after are 'correctly read the market and made a motza as a result'

On 03/09/2024 at 14:14, Jaded No More said:

Exactly right

I suggest we try and bundle this pick, as well as the other second rounder we have which is tied to Sydney (from the Grundy trade), and try to move down the draft order. There are a number of clubs who need points for bidding.

Move up the order to what end? I think we’d be pretty happy with 5 unless we clearly think there is a Harley Reid type that is clearly better than others & I don’t think that’s the case (Lalor?). In such a deep draft I’d think 25 is a good pick to have. Unless you’re meaning 25, 38 & 45 for Brisbane or Essendon’s first?

10 minutes ago, Mach5 said:

Move up the order to what end? I think we’d be pretty happy with 5 unless we clearly think there is a Harley Reid type that is clearly better than others & I don’t think that’s the case (Lalor?). In such a deep draft I’d think 25 is a good pick to have. Unless you’re meaning 25, 38 & 45 for Brisbane or Essendon’s first?

I mean bundle our second and third round picks to get back into the first round, or get better second round picks. 

So for example can we bundle our third round pick, plus the 2nd rounder that's tied to Sydney and get a better second round pick in return?

I don't think we can do much with pick 5. We will take it to the draft.

• Like 3

On 28/08/2024 at 21:59, spirit of norm smith said:

Crows get ANB and MFC pick 51 

Dees get Crows pick 25 and 42 

that’s fair.  

Awesome call Norm. 👍

If what the draft gurus are telling us is true there will still be a handy player available at pick 42 or a bundle up picks option.

This will make up for the overs we gave up for McAdam. 

In return they recieve a finals proven, reliable multifunctional player that they will get good footy out of for 3 to 4 years.

Edited by YesitwasaWin4theAges
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, YesitwasaWin4theAges said:

Awesome call Norm. 👍

If what the draft gurus are telling us is true there will still be a handy player available at pick 42 or a bundle up picks option.

This will make up for the overs we gave up for McAdam. 

In return they recieve a finals proven, reliable multifunctional player that they will get good footy out of for 3 to 4 years.

So McAdam was worth pick 25 and so is a much better player in ANB? Not really a good deal. 

13 minutes ago, Ugottobekidding said:

So McAdam was worth pick 25 and so is a much better player in ANB? Not really a good deal. 

I guess it was supposed to be closer to pick 35 than 25. It was still pick 30 with about five weeks to go in the season.

Even so, ANB is criminally underrated and our trade compensation will be criminally below his real worth, and it is looking very much like we got barrelled in the McAdam trade.

It is quite possible we were so exhausted from calculating the permutations of multiple other possible trades which never eventuated that we just didn't quite sustain the concentration and were too focused on just getting something, anything, done.

Best value I can see out of Nibbler trade would be as part of a traditional Demon wild shenanigan package which comes together for an additional pick in the first round - Brisbane's 14 is the obvious target given it would be burned by the Ashcroft price anyway.

2 hours ago, Ugottobekidding said:

Pick 42 also, just trying to keep it realistic. 

Do you think we're a chance for a 1st rounder or future 1st?

2 hours ago, Ugottobekidding said:

McAdam was a 3rd rounder at best, we got hoodwinked big time.

We need to get more than pick 25 back this year for this supposed crop of talent on offer.

Thought @spirit of norm smith suggestion of pick 25 and 42 for ANB would represent good business.

On 06/09/2024 at 11:22, rpfc said:

If this was reversed I would say ‘bad luck with that, we will get you a pick in the late thirties.’

But that is just me

I’d say we have demonstrated an open “thanks for the memories and we wish you well” approach due to the outcome to get back our old pick being agreed some time ago, probably before anyone here was aware of ANB’s desire to head home to SA. 
For the Crom to then reneg on the deal would cause significant future distrust and poor faith (not just with us) and for little benefit.

• Like 2