Christian Petracca

2 hours ago, Flowergirl said:

I have lots of sympathy for what he has gone through but that is not an excuse to leak to the media.

I believe we all felt the same and had lots of sympathy for him. Supporters rallied behind him during the ordeal, sending their love and thoughts. From all reports, the MFC did too, granting him a four-week leave to go to Noosa – a generous and rare exception when generally injured players are still required to support the club from the sidelines. The club listened, respected his request, and gave him the time off he needed.

What transpired afterward remains a mystery. Some reports say he’s disgruntled with how management communicated his leave of absence to his teammates. But as a club leader, you’d expect him to share this with the team himself, wouldn’t you? He didn’t need to go into detail, but a simple, “hey guys, I’d love to support you from the box and at training throughout the week, but I’m struggling mentally right now. I think this time off will help me come back stronger and ready to support you all at the pointy end of the season,” would have been sufficient. The communication breakdown was on both sides, not just the club’s.

I can understand the frustration of other players too if they were unaware and then saw him making cooking videos on Instagram while they were fighting for a spot in the finals – especially given his role on the leadership team. He’s been through a tough time, no doubt, and deserved that time off. But to turn on the club and his teammates after it all? To leave them in the dark? That seems bizarre to me.

Whether he stays or goes, it’s hard to see him the same way. The club has its issues, and there’s a lot to address in the off-season to get back on track. But we’re not a lost cause. Success is within reach with some serious revamping and players like Oliver returning to their best. Being a leader and the one-club player, which he claimed to want to be is about sticking through thick and thin. Nathan Jones did it, without any of the rewards Petracca has already received. Petracca’s “nice guy” persona now seems like a farce. It feels like he’s more focused on fame and, as many footy commentators have suggested, on building his brand and reputation for life after football.

Hurry up, Trac. Let us know what you want. You want a trade, come out and tell everyone. But Melbourne must play hardball and if we don’t get an acceptable offer, he stays. We need to have some self-respect and not be bullied like this. 

Edited by qwerty7
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Perhaps it is too legalistic, but I’m surprised how readily it seems to be countenanced  that player on a long-term contract can manage to shed his obligations on the basis of grievances which would never amount to a breach of contract by the club he is contracted to. Imagine if the situation were reversed and the MFC pressured a player on a long-term contract to leave the club on the basis that the club would prefer to contract player X from another club(perhaps on the basis that player X had a better profile and would attract more sponsors to the club). The football world would be justifiably outraged by such fickle behaviour. Contracts are obviously a two-way commitment. The player gets long-term job security and the club knows it has secured the services of a valuable player. I tend to agree with Garry Lyon that Christian should be told he will be held to his commitment for say another three years after which the position will be reviewed. In any event I hope that is what occurs.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Clap 1

2 minutes ago, spirit of norm smith said:

“There is absolutely no way Harry would consider going to Melbourne,” Trotter told SEN.

Trotter also said the McKay trade talk didn't come from either Carlton or Melbourne.

I can only assume it came from McClure's imagination.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

4 minutes ago, spirit of norm smith said:

Petracca wasn’t asked about his playing future, where he has been linked with a move to Collingwood, the club he grew up barracking for, or Carlton.

McKay has been linked with an exchange for Petracca, but McKay’s manager David Trotter of Hemisphere Management was emphatic that his client would not be leaving the Blues. McKay is contracted to the Blues until the end of 2030.

“There is absolutely no way Harry would consider going to Melbourne,” Trotter told SEN.

Don't want Harry anywhere near the club

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Bonkers said:

means we could trade him to West Coast for Reid as an example we should explore it

Why isn’t this just a win / lose scenario?

why would west coast do it?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Salems Lot said:

The sociopath in me says trade him out. As long as it involves 2 first rounders and a player that suits our needs I am fine with him going. 

I love the guy but he is obviously unhappy and who is to say that he will return to his best firm any time soon. 

He has diminished his standing in my eye with his communication methodology of late but when all is said and done he may provide the kick start we need in our rebuild. 

We would build an excellent base with 3 first round picks in one of the most highly totes days in recent times. 

I'm really disappointed in how this is playing out in the public and without him fronting up. I have lost a bit of respect for him. I can understand him wanting to win another flag and the direction of the club after 2021 hasn't gone to plan. But why bother signing on again if you didn't believe that it was a possibility. The trauma he's faced after his injury is understandable - but again, with time he is recovering and the MFC would be putting all the resources he requires to get him healthy and fit again. My other disappointment is what this whole saga creates for the whole of the playing team- especially the youngsters who have signed on. As much as I hate to see him go and see him in other colours, if he doesn't respect our club and doesn't want to play - then happy for him to be traded as long as we get a great trade. It takes a team to win a GF, not one player. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

There's no doubt that he had a horrible injury and equally, there's no doubt that the last thing he needs for his health and his welfare is the circus being played out in the media at the moment. If those around him, truly cared for his well-being they would declare a halt to these goings on and stay away from the media until such time as he's in a good headspace and is able to make considered rational decisions about his past, present and future.

Enough of this!

• Like 5
  • Clap 1

42 minutes ago, cookieboc said:

Can he retire, for a few months and then nominate a team? Or for a season and then nominate whoever?

no

his only option is to break his contract (and lose payments).

then sit it out for a year

then go into the draft (2025)

can't see that option being attractive

• Like 3

Does all this feel quite similar to what wc went through when Judd left them, I’m sure at the time it felt like the end of the world but I think looking back they came out ahead, if we play this smart there is no reason we can’t come out of this similarly,

first off if things are beyond repair I’d be saying we will trade but we will pick to who, I’d be probably looking at north and doing a deal for larkey and there first pick, I think that could work for both clubs

Edited by Garbo
  • Like 2

If you read (and believe Morris Mc Clure AND Cornes & Lloyd) they all suffer from attention deficit syndrome in that they THRIVE on being noticed.

However it it does not make them  good football journalists, but ambulance chasers.

I think Petracca has a few issues emanating from his intereaction with a Collingwood player and is not 100% confident he can come back without some lingering doubts. We have to remember he has been in elite sporting progams for a big part of his life through basketball & football and is now having to learn a new skill and that is bouncing back ( which he did with his knee injury).

Clayton Oliver has shown a lot of resilience in 2024 , that will stand him in good stead for the rest of his life.  IF it is true that Petracca is peeved at the treatment Clayton got then I would be extremely disappointed because "What about me ??" is not the way to develop as a person.

Along the way we have seemingly ignored the departure of one of the great Clubmen in the history of the Club in ANB. Many posters have been super critical of him, but he seemingly ignored the "noise" and contributed an enormous amount to this Club.

Along the way we are defending Petracca, BECAUSE he is the footballer ,  and immediately start casting aspersions at Simon Goodwin whose role it is to consider the whole program (which is forgotten along the line). Blaming the game plan, the way we played at times through the year and other things is not removing the fact that Goodwin is dealing with the whole Club/Team which is the sum of many peoples contributions (and absences of key personnel) and HE MUST NOT BE  bending to DEMANDS that it is either him or Petracca. That is not a way to run any organisation.

If it is true ALL of this ??,../, then Petracca can express his opinion inside the walls of MFC, just like any other player should be able to, however, he must also remember that he is part of that group ,not the only one. If Petracca wants to run a Club put in for the West Coast positions .

PS : During the week I listened to Clarkson's press conference after the last round. From that you realise how "up to it" he is with development, longer term thinking etc . It made me realise that the development of an Organisation does not always have to be belting hell out of the coaches box. Sometimes  we ignore what goes on behind the scenes and are very quick to point fingers at people who have the interests of their organisation at the heart of their thinking

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Deelectable said:

You can? Post it. Otherwise it's all bluster.

I've posted a few times on this, you should be able piece it together. 

I'm not really concerned about whether people take it on or not, at the end of the day the vomit and laugh react crew are going to vomit and laugh react. It doesn't change what the situation is.  

1 hour ago, danielE288 said:

The more time this goes on, the more likely it is he wont be a Melbourne player next year. Prepare yourselves, folks.

I’ve already unfollowed his socials

• Like 2
  • Shocked 1

2 minutes ago, BDA said:

And his disposal is poor

Although he's the best in the business for goal assists/involvements. Maybe we can trade him for a player who's also in that category. Gryan Miers and a couple of firsts?  :laugh:

Edited by John Demonic
  • Like 1
  • Vomit 1