Rebuild Time WERRIDEE Style

Well Goodwin's got 2 years left so he ain't going nowhere. Faster ball movement has to be his objective next year.

I'm interested in the assistants contracts IMO all should go McQualter, Chaplin, Stafford.

Retire: Brayshaw, B.Brown, Melksham, McDonald, Hunter

Delist: Schache, Tomlinson, Hore, Sestan, Farris-White

B: Lever, May, McVee

HB: Cumming, Petty, Houston

C: Windsor, Oliver, Langdon

HF: Neal-Bullen, van Rooyen, Chandler

F: Fritsch, Jefferson, Pickett

FOLL: Gawn, Petracca, Viney

IC: Rivers, Salem, Turner, Fort\Moyle, Moniz-Wakefield

Casey

B: Draft pick, Adams, Howes

HB: Bowey, Draft pick, Woewodin

C: Billings, Laurie, Draft pick

HF: K.Brown, Kentfield, Spargo

F: McAdam, Draft pick, Fullerton

FOLL: Verrall, Sparrow, Tholstrup

IC: Yze, Mentha, Draft pick

We bring in Cumming FA, Houston trade, Fort\Moyle trade, 2 draft picks and  2 rookies and Yze, Mentha rookie B along with Moniz-Wakefield

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, WERRIDEE said:

Well Goodwin's got 2 years left so he ain't going nowhere. Faster ball movement has to be his objective next year.

I'm interested in the assistants contracts IMO all should go McQualter, Chaplin, Stafford.

Casey

We bring in Cumming FA, Houston trade, Fort\Moyle trade, 2 draft picks and  2 rookies and Yze, Mentha rookie B along with Moniz-Wakefield

I would try to trade Salem and/or Sparrow.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, WERRIDEE said:

Casey

While there are good reasons for your exits, the only issue I see is that  it leaves us light on for experience if we start getting injuries. Hore and maybe Melksham to stay for that purpose, otherwise, a good start.  The playing style/system needs looking at. The forwards need a system to create space and we need a better method in the centre to take advantage of Max while we can.

• Like 1

@WERRIDEE  I agree with most but it’s going to be a brave move to lose so much experience in the sheds. Also thought it is harsh on Marty Hore. He has again shown he’s a class above at Casey. Somehow stuck behind Lever and had a few injuries this year.  I’d invest in him again.  With Tomlinson and Tmcd going, he’d be needed to assist the defence.

Retire: Brayshaw (medical) B.Brown, Melksham, McDonald, Hunter

Delist: Schache, JS29, Tomlinson, Sestan, Farris-White

upgrade : Moniz-Wakefield  

** thats 9 list spots available **

rookies: Hore, Kentfield, KBrown, Verrall 

Poor list management …Contracted until end 25: Spargo. Billings. Contracted until end 26: Laurie, McAdam.  None were deserving of such deals.  (Tim Lamb 🤯)
—————————————————

Aim to bring in

1. Free agent: Isaac Cumming - skilled half back 

2. Trade in mature plan B ruckman 

3. Trade in Harry Edwards (West Coast) key defender

** Trade out 2025 1st round with Freo to get 2024 pick 10-12 in this years draft 

National Draft. Let JT weave his magic. (4 picks likely) 

1st round Two of the following- Xavier Lindsay🌟/Harvey Langford🌟/Murphy Reid🌟/Tom Gross/Christian Moraes/Sam Lalor/Toby Travaglia/Taj Hotton/Bo Allan 

2nd round: (circa pick 40 - Swans pick) some potential names who might be available: Kade Gerryn ,  Hamish Davis , Lachie Jacques, Zak Johnson, Kade Herbert. 

Youngsters who could be bargains at a 3rd/4th round pick 50 ish :  Patrick Retschko, Cody Anderson , Oliver Depaoli-Kubank, Zane Cochrane, Bailey McKenzie,  Jaxon Artemis. Keighton Matofai-Forbes

———————————————-

Rookie: father son Noah Yze

Cat B rookie: Ricky Mentha

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Pretty sure I'm alone here but whenever we lose, Lever seems to be a big problem. 

Yes - he takes a good intercept mark and spoils well on occasion. But the number of goals he concedes directly from a hand or foot errors, poor athleticism/speed, losing 1v1s (often to smaller players), overplaying or losing his marbles (which he's starting to do with more regularity)...

Turner's athleticism and closing speed was instantly noticeable when he came on last night. 

We seem to pay an awfully large cost for Lever as a defensive organiser who can't win contests, isn't a good distributor and can't play on key forwards. He's still young, so unfortunately is going to get less athletic.

He's had some fantastic games over the years but for a senior disciplined player he's quite inconsistent.

I'm not sure the modern game has room for a slow intercepter who gives no offensive drive 

• Like 4
  • Love 1
  • Thinking 1
  • Sad 1

28 minutes ago, spirit of norm smith said:

@WERRIDEE  I agree with most but it’s going to be a brave move to lose so much experience in the sheds. Also thought it is harsh on Marty Hore. He has again shown he’s a class above at Casey. Somehow stuck behind Lever and had a few injuries this year.  I’d invest in him again.  With Tomlinson and Tmcd going, he’d be needed to assist the defence.

Retire: Brayshaw (medical) B.Brown, Melksham, McDonald, Hunter

Delist: Schache, JS29, Tomlinson, Sestan, Farris-White

upgrade : Moniz-Wakefield  

** thats 9 list spots available **

rookies: Hore, Kentfield, KBrown, Verrall 

Poor list management …Contracted until end 25: Spargo. Billings. Contracted until end 26: Laurie, McAdam.  None were deserving of such deals.  (Tim Lamb 🤯)
—————————————————

Aim to bring in

1. Free agent: Isaac Cumming - skilled half back 

2. Trade in mature plan B ruckman 

3. Trade in Harry Edwards (West Coast) key defender

** Trade out 2025 1st round with Freo to get 2024 pick 10-12 in this years draft 

National Draft. Let JT weave his magic. (4 picks likely) 

1st round Two of the following- Xavier Lindsay🌟/Harvey Langford🌟/Murphy Reid🌟/Tom Gross/Christian Moraes/Sam Lalor/Toby Travaglia/Taj Hotton/Bo Allan 

2nd round: (circa pick 40 - Swans pick) some potential names who might be available: Kade Gerryn ,  Hamish Davis , Lachie Jacques, Zak Johnson, Kade Herbert. 

Youngsters who could be bargains at a 3rd/4th round pick 50 ish :  Patrick Retschko, Cody Anderson , Oliver Depaoli-Kubank, Zane Cochrane, Bailey McKenzie,  Jaxon Artemis. Keighton Matofai-Forbes

———————————————-

Rookie: father son Noah Yze

Cat B rookie: Ricky Mentha

That would be an awesome trade window the problem is we don’t have the draft capital to make it happen. Most clubs will be trying to buy into this draft which will make it expensive to do so. 
Whoever we bring in as a ruck needs to be of high enough quality that we can win without Max so that going to cost us a pick.
Key Position players are in demand so even if Edward’s hasn’t played a game he will still cost some sort of pick. 
Only way I can see us having the draft capital needed for your plan is if we trade out a player who has value. 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, fr_ap said:

Pretty sure I'm alone here but whenever we lose, Lever seems to be a big problem. 

Yes - he takes a good intercept mark and spoils well on occasion. But the number of goals he concedes directly from a hand or foot errors, poor athleticism/speed, losing 1v1s (often to smaller players), overplaying or losing his marbles (which he's starting to do with more regularity)...

Turner's athleticism and closing speed was instantly noticeable when he came on last night. 

We seem to pay an awfully large cost for Lever as a defensive organiser who can't win contests, isn't a good distributor and can't play on key forwards. He's still young, so unfortunately is going to get less athletic.

He's had some fantastic games over the years but for a senior disciplined player he's quite inconsistent.

I'm not sure the modern game has room for a slow intercepter who gives no offensive drive 

Agree, watched him last night walked away from the bont and demanded Bowie take him, at a F50 stoppage, guess who got the clearance, and who never got near it!! He never stands along side a big forward when needed, the intercept defender he was is gone, he is too slow for that role, alot of dynamics wrong with this side at the moment, Vineys not getting near it, Oliver's not interested unless he can push and shove although he couldn't bruise a grape. Unsure why Tommy sparrow is in the firing line with supporters, he puts in when he is in, always chimes in for a goal and is good at the contest, young tholstrup is the only that flies the flag, things like this go unnoticed  but he dragged Garcia away from Oliver when they were jumper dancing, assuming to tell him to FOFF, went back to Oliver to lift his spirits, olive gave him donuts and walked straight through the kid, so many of our premiership side walk around with there head so far up there [censored], should have sent petty to Adelaide, cannot see any upside to keeping him, bring in the big Texan for 2 years and develop Fullarton, and try and bring in a b grade ruck from somewhere, nevertheless we have made some poor recruitment choices during trade week the last couple of years, imagine we persevered with Grundy and Jordan for one more season both would be regulars and we wouldn't be on the verge of bottoming out during a time when we should be well in the premiership window still. 

Having said, can't underestimate the loss of Brayshaw more than anyone, praying trac can get back to full steam next year. 

As long as we beat the pies Round 24 now. 

GO DEES

• Like 3

1 hour ago, fr_ap said:

Lever has been a genuine B grader at best outside of 2021 unfortunately 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, dazzledavey36 said:

I'd be be putting Salem up for trade at the end of the year.

As if anyone is going to trust Salo's body though. 

We'd be trading him because essentially we don't either.

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Binmans PA said:

As if anyone is going to trust Salo's body though. 

We'd be trading him because essentially we don't either.

Someone like a North or even Richmond with the Yze connection who are just about to be gutted of experienced players.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

What would you expect to get for him? I think we would struggle to get a late second rounder. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, ANG13 said:

What would you expect to get for him? I think we would struggle to get a late second rounder. 

Cap space is more than good enough, I think he is a top 10 salary in our list.

Anything else is just extra, late draft pick most likely.

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

3rd rounder.

Yep that’s about what I think too and I would be open to it although I don’t think there would be many takers. I think as you mentioned the Roos and Tigers maybe the only chances. 

I think we need to make a call on where our list sits right now. Are we going to be a genuine top four team next year?! Can we trade in or draft enough quality in one trade window?!Have a look at the current top four draft hand. 

Sydney- have 2 late first round picks in this year’s draft. 

Lions- have possible number one draft pick coming in as F/S and a academy player late in the first round/early in the second  

Freo- have 3 good first round picks in this year’s draft. 

Dogs-Have bugger all picks this year but have the likes of Sanders ( who would go top 5 in this years draft) running around in the two’s. 

Edit- Dogs will also improve their hand when they trade Smith.

If we’re not going to win the flag next year perhaps we should trade a player or two with real value and look at a 2/3 year rebuild. Otherwise we could find ourselves where Richmond currently are when Tassie team comes in. 

Edited by Colm
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Colm said:

That would be an awesome trade window the problem is we don’t have the draft capital to make it happen. Most clubs will be trying to buy into this draft which will make it expensive to do so. 
Whoever we bring in as a ruck needs to be of high enough quality that we can win without Max so that going to cost us a pick.
Key Position players are in demand so even if Edward’s hasn’t played a game he will still cost some sort of pick. 
Only way I can see us having the draft capital needed for your plan is if we trade out a player who has value. 

Exactly…..we don’t have both trade and draft currency needed to get top quality.

The players who have value won’t be considered by club or supporters.

we have 1 pick in the next draft at about pick 9. Our next pick is 38.!!!

One decent pick won’t change anything as West Coast have found this year.

And trading next years future first may see us trading away a top 4 pick the way we are going. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, dazzledavey36 said:

We'd get a packet of chips for him. Might be one of those cases where he's worth more to keep than what we'd get in a trade. Not dissimilar to Oliver, imo.

Edited by Moonshadow
  • Like 5
  • Shocked 1

48 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

3rd rounder.

Why bother trading him then? It'd be pick 45+.

We would be much better of believing that Salem can find consistent fitness, and with that, find form.

He should also be put back into defense too. We tried as a midfielder to replace Braysahw, it looked OK but then he got hurt, and flung around positions, then hurt again. Send him back and put McVee into the midfield.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

As Nathan Buckley pointed out - On The Couch recently when things are going your way, Nothing is as good as you think and when it is going against you, Nothing is as bad as you think. However when the dust settles we really need to clear cap space this year and if we can trade next years 1st for a pick or two this year it would be a good time to do it. We need another gun mid, a tall and a ruck. Come rain hail or shine this is a critical exercise, forget about trading out our picks or any of our experienced contracted players for peanuts. You need to have experienced heads around the kids to teach and educate the tricks of the trade.

• Like 3
  • Thinking 1