POSTGAME: Rd 21 vs Western Bulldogs

1 hour ago, Bowserpower said:

Guy can hardly move

He can hardly move because he is managing/battling his back. He will get it right and be back again.

3 hours ago, Pirlo said:

He wasn't getting the ball. He was averaging 10 touches and 1 tackle a game last season. I simply refuse to believe that losing him has led to "all lines being decimated".

Spargo is no matchwinner but he is a clever player who was very good at linking up through half forward. He was dropped for a period last year but I thought was one of our best in the SF loss vs Carlton. Would definitely improve our side if he was available but not sure he would change much on his own results wise if that makes sense.

• Like 1
  • Thinking 1

i am a little disappointed that we say most if not all of our younger players need more time to develop. Sometime players step up to meet the challenge and playing with supposedly higher quality players may make it easier for them than playing at a lower grade where things are not so organised or structured. though having said that not sure our seniors side is all that organised or structured as yet.  and if the cannot step up and show what they have then maybe we should not be investing years of time running them around in our vlf side if they are not going to cut it. other sides are playing younger players, i dont see why we should not especially when we have players who really are not cutting it at the moment. Not playing these guys can result in them getting frustrated and wanting to leave as we have seen happen to a few players on the edge in the last couple of years.  We supposedly saw enough of fullerton to pick him now we are saying he is not right, they really why are we picking players that are not right. billings unfortunately is another that i wonder what we saw in him

Missing players is an excuse. And not a reasonable one for 4 wins in 12 games. We still more than enough talent out there to not get destroyed like that. Should have been a 80 pt loss  but we got lucky

Whether it’s confidence, coaching, hunger or a million other things, there is a lot not working right now and changes are needed 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, leave it to deever said:

Can't see a flag next year either I'm afraid.

Or the next.

I posted on here a month or so ago that Hawthorn would win a flag before us and WCW gave me a face palm, still think I'm wrong WCW?

• Like 1

The biggest failure of the club (since winning the premiership) has been the inability to secure a proper training base. 

Whoever we have  in our recruiting department will always have the challenge of selling the commutes to Casey to any curious prospects. 

• Like 5

Its probably been mention a hundred times but perspective sees that the bullies in this for are going to beat most. A reminder of our best in 2021.

Looks like we are done now for this year.

I hope we use our 1st rounder on a kid. No trades. With Tassy getting closer i note with our young players coming in we are preparing for the Tassy draft pick drought to come .

Maybe we will be adding Yze and Mentha this draft as well. 2025 wee might see Kalani White F/S and an Academy tall.

A quick one on Lingers. He's probably been our best player the last two weeks and really has had a great season. I'm very glad the MRO cleared him.

Further, I think the emergence of Windsor has helped Lingers, and it's great that Caleb has older guys like Lingers to look up to and learn from.

• Like 7

8 hours ago, Dante said:

Or the next.

I posted on here a month or so ago that Hawthorn would win a flag before us and WCW gave me a face palm, still think I'm wrong WCW?

Hawthorn and North both looking ripe to rise but they still have major holes in their teams. Hawks have Sicily and Meek, then a bunch of mediocre talls, while North’s defence is rubbish. They will both win lots of games in the next few years due to the quality of their smalls but it’s not easy to rectify those issues and it will cost them in finals. Much easier to rectify the issues with smalls that we have.

Edited by godees

On 03/08/2024 at 08:00, Redlegs said:

I rarely post, and I don’t mean to pick on one line, but I need to call this out.

I appreciate its emotional after a bad loss, but threats of withholding membership, conditional to x or y, is not what the Melbourne Football Club is about (although we’re accused weekly of being a fickle supporter base, and worse).

The club is bigger than any one season, coach, player, president, captain, x or y. We barely survived after norm smith and I got to see 2021 because of that survival.

I hope to bring my kids and grandkids to the footy and see a live premiership.

The only thing most supporters can do to contribute is sign up. Sign their kids up, sign their partner up, sign their dog up. And paint their fence red and blue the next time we make a grand final. 

Don’t let a set back today ruin that future. 

This is a great, positive, post. Thank you.

Look, I agree. But I think there has to be some room for reasonable emotional posts and thoughts.

You’ll note that I said been a member for over 20 years and probably appreciate I had MANY better opportunities to cancel my membership. I don’t know a tougher time to support the club. I stuck through that and went to many, many very sad games. My sentiments now are that we are finally a relevant football club again, and I am concerned we slide down again without proper and honest scrutiny. I know there have been reasons for our inability to capitalise on our list the last few years. Some good ones. Some not so good ones. I just want a proper review so that we can be like the cats and swans of the game and maintain our newly rediscovered relevance, We are after all investors, as well as fans. 

I have signed up my 5yo, we’ve been to games and will no doubt sign up my 18 month old, hopefully next year.

Go Dees. Truly 💙❤️

• Like 1

Disappointed with this year and the last two. Not overly excited about 2025, but I am looking forward to this coming year. We have some great older guys and some fantastic talent coming through. 
out list is up there with any other club.

Hopefully there are some learnings (sorry)

to be had from this year 

preparation of players  at the start   Management throughout the year. They cannot play every game at full bore. Give them strategic rest times , 

its all about being uninjured and all fit in the September games. 

it clearly takes effort to win one flag and possibly more than one season to prepare to win.  Rest anyone now, this season is kaput.  Play for 25 plan for 25. FD and players.   All of us.  Go Dee’s 

On 02/08/2024 at 22:05, loges said:

At least Picket will be able to say, time for Jeffo and he'll be right

If he doesn't get a gig this week then something is seriously wrong and secondly i'll check out!

• Love 1

21 hours ago, Satyriconhome said:

I am not only going on my own observations but what other players have told me in the past, also his footy nous off the ball, but hey, if you are only watching the game for mistakes, posters may miss that.  He had a bit of a down year last year, but was fit and firing this year before the injury, he was a very important cog in 21.

Yeah let's bring another young player in and put the weight of expectation on him, that works, as we have seen in the past.

Yeah bit like Windsor this year huh..

Without our prime cattle we're a middle of the road team. 

The dogs and power are both in top form and Cherry ripe for finals. 

It is what it is