What was your excuse?

54 minutes ago, FearTheBeard said:

I know plenty people are refusing to go because Petty is playing as a forward and that's their right.

jesus wept

worse excuse ever

if he was playing forward and we were winning i bet you they would show up

• Like 4
  • Clap 1

Break time I reckon. 

People not attending the footy because  Petty is playing forward.

Possibly the dumbest thing I’ve read on here and there’s been some beauties over the last 20 years. 

• Like 5

17 minutes ago, FearTheBeard said:

Yep, 8 blokes who normally are locks to go to games refused on Saturday because of goodwin picking favourites like petty and sparrow and then playing them out of position. They aren't the only ones.

This is so sad. What happened to turning up for your team because they're wearing the red and the blue? I hope you called them out for being fair-weather supporters with a poor excuse.

Maybe I won't rock up to games from now on until we get a dominant key position forward.

• Like 2
  • Clap 1

There’s more to life than footy. I’ve kids and a busy job so fitting in games isn’t always possible. I’m not going to get on supporters backs if they don’t want to go. It’s their decision. But spare me the lame excuses.

We have a small core, relative to other clubs, of hardcore fans that will show up hail or shine. That’s the reality for us. No point self-flagellating because we had a small crowd at a late season game when our chances of finals have all but gone. This is who we are. Best to accept rather than engaging in loyalty tests and turning on each other.

• Like 3
  • Clap 2

43 minutes ago, FearTheBeard said:

Yep, 8 blokes who normally are locks to go to games refused on Saturday because of goodwin picking favourites like petty and sparrow and then playing them out of position.

Wish i had 8 mates who went for Melbourne! I only have 1 close mate who follows the Dees but he lives down Geelong way so doesnt come to many games. 

• Like 1

i havent been for 12 weeks because its frankly too frustrating watching the style of play we are producing, would rather yell at them at the tv than in person.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

On 10/08/2024 at 23:27, Jaded No More said:

So you can get stuck into our players but we can’t get stuck into our “supporters” who bail the minute things don’t go well?

You getting paid half a mil a year to go to the football are you?

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

4 hours ago, FearTheBeard said:

They can't move Melbourne to Marvel, the club would fold if that happens. We rely heavily on our MCC members and the fabric of the club would be destroyed.

The problem is not just the fan base. The problem is that people are sick of watching us play the same boring brand of football and playing players out of position.

I know plenty people are refusing to go because Petty is playing as a forward and that's their right.

What a ridiculous reason to not attend a game, because they don't like Petty playing a certain position.

It's actually laughable. Toys out of the cot ridiculous levels.

But you're right, it is their right. And we have a lot of stupid supporters. 

The amount that I listen to in the MCC who either have no idea who the players are, or yell kick it when there is clearly no one ahead of the play or clearly marked.

Anyway, good on them.

As long as they don't steal my GF ticket when we eventually get another crack.

At least those that were there the other night were vocal and passionate. 

Edited by Binmans PA
  • Like 7
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, roy11 said:

Wish i had 8 mates who went for Melbourne! I only have 1 close mate who follows the Dees but he lives down Geelong way so doesnt come to many games. 

Wish I just had 8 mates…

Edited by Engorged Onion
  • Haha 7
  • Sad 1

17 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/dees-to-marvel.1385443/

Its only a matter of time until some in the media (particularly those with Carlton and Essendon agendas) start pushing this. They want more home games at the G and someone needs to make way for them by playing home games at Docklands.

We'll always get our 10 home games at the G, Dr G. They will just be in horrible time slots if we're stinking it up. 

• Thinking 1

I’m only going to the footy now if Petty plays forward. If he has to move back for any reason I’ll immediately vacate the MCG, but stand near the gates in case he runs back over the centre line and I can go back in.

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

If our members are genuinely not turning up for some of the ridiculous reasons I've been reading on here today then we should definitely be dishing out finals tickets based on how many games you turn up to and not how much money your membership costs. 

• Like 3
  • Clap 1

On 11/08/2024 at 13:42, WalkingCivilWar said:

You get stuck into people who request that our players not be bagged. And I can show you examples of that. Oh, I have a wealth of examples. 

As for legitimate reasons for not attending, that’s subjective, so what one person sees as legitimate, others mightn’t. One thing’s for sure though, if your excuse/reason is because we’re not winning, then you’re not a true supporter, and you deserve to be berated. Unfortunately I think many who throw out excuses/reasons such as train lines down, not feeling well, can’t afford it etc. are masking the true reason, ie. we’re not winning. For had last night been a final or we were a premiership contender, the crowd size would’ve doubled, plus some. 

You can’t gate keep supporting and decide who is and who isn’t true based on how they take part in the club and game.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Clap 2

3 hours ago, BringBackTheDemon said:

Love a good a yell at the telly! Cant melt properly in public. 

haha 100% same goes the other way too i go crazy when we win haha

• Like 1

Imagine fans not turning up when the team is not winning?!

Happens at literally every club

Look at the Hawks, low numbers and now going on a winning streak, they are coming back in their droves

Arguing about it is futile

• Like 6

4 hours ago, FearTheBeard said:

Comment on Rivers and Tmac is irrelevant because they are both playing good footy after being moved. Petty keeps being [censored] and the coach is now to blame for this. Our fans stop turning up when it gets too hard to go to a game, ie too cold, too wet, too late at night, too early in the day and then more drop off when we stop winning. We are and always have been a fickle fan base.

Yep, 8 blokes who normally are locks to go to games refused on Saturday because of goodwin picking favourites like petty and sparrow and then playing them out of position. They aren't the only ones.

Weak as [censored] then.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Dr. Mubutu said:

This made me involuntarily dry retch.
What a shambles.
No wonder we sent this game to the NT.

Pretty sure that 2013 game was Easter Sunday - and in the depths of the Neeld era

11 hours ago, FearTheBeard said:

They can't move Melbourne to Marvel, the club would fold if that happens. We rely heavily on our MCC members and the fabric of the club would be destroyed.

The problem is not just the fan base. The problem is that people are sick of watching us play the same boring brand of football and playing players out of position.

They won't move Melbourne to Marvel, they may move two Melbourne home games to Marvel though (in addition to the NT game).

If the club would fold because a couple of home games get moved 5 minutes down the road then we're not viable in a national competition.

Been to a couple of Nth games at Marvel this season. Getting to like it. Buy a GA ticket for not much and sit behind the goals. All good.

10 hours ago, Jaded No More said:

Are those 8 blokes aware that he's coming back from a serious injury and has had no pre-season?

He might be just as poor playing defensively if he's struggling with his foot, except playing forward he is less costly when he's out of form than playing as a defender. 

Besides if those 8 fans came on Saturday night, they would have seen Petty play really well and take some very good marks playing up forward.

You summed it up when you said our fan base is fickle. That's all there is to it, they pick and choose when to show up based solely on ladder position. 

I think every supporter base is fickle it's just that we have a small supporter base so when we drop off it is far more stark. I posted the other week I have mates and relos who are members of Collingwood and Carlton who would have been to no more than 10 games each over the last decade! A Carlton supporter at work is an MCC member and only went to his first game of the season yesterday. Every club has these fickle supporters but when you're hardcore is only 15k or so instead of 30k or so it makes things look a whole lot worse when fans drop off. It looks even worse for us on TV because 80% of our supporters sit on the broadcast side.

I'm in two minds about this, it is a reality that we need to turn up for team morale, for finances and to keep the wolves at bay. But it is also a reality that supporters of other clubs are just as fickle and don't feel the same guilt/obligation to turn up every single week. The club needs to figure out a way to engage the supporters and make sure they don't drop off, but at the end of the day results and timeslots will impact crowds more than anything else. We probably should have played at 1:10pm yesterday and Carlton/Hawks on Saturday night. They still would have cracked 80k and we really should have got over 20k if not 23-25k.

45 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

They won't move Melbourne to Marvel, they may move two Melbourne home games to Marvel though (in addition to the NT game).

If the club would fold because a couple of home games get moved 5 minutes down the road then we're not viable in a national competition.

It’s not about a couple of home games, it’s about the agenda to move us to marvel full stop. If that happened (which it won’t) we’d be buggered

21 hours ago, von said:

You can’t gate keep supporting and decide who is and who isn’t true based on how they take part in the club and game.

If someone’s reason for not attending H&A games is purely based on the team’s performance but that selfsame someone will move heaven and earth to get to a final, then yes, I’ll judge the [censored] outta them.

I don’t have the means to pay for a GFG, and I can only afford basic H&A membership therefore I’d be pushing to get a ticket to a final. But to know that there are fans who only turn up when it suits them but who also get to attend a final makes my blood boil.

I fully agree with @Rab D Nesbitt There should be a minimum requirement of H&A matches attended before anyone gets to plonk their @rse on a seat at a final.

• Like 1
  • Clap 1

22 hours ago, Engorged Onion said:

Wish I just had 8 mates…

I’ll be your mate  🥹

• Love 1