Oliver Trade Rumours

2 minutes ago, praha said:

This makes no sense. You don't categorically deny the rumours and say a player of his popularity and calibre will be at the club next year, while at the same time privately shopping him around, mere weeks after the club was leaking stories almost daily about Petracca (and now Kozzie).

Either the club is straight up lying to its supporters, in which case we should he disgusted and very angry, or the club is in disarray. 

Which one? Are supporters being take for mugs or is the club breaking down?

us supporters are mugs for thinking that the club hasn't been breaking down in front of our eyes for the last 18 months

• Like 1

I had a good chat with one of our assistant coaches a couple of months ago and he told me that Clayton had made his mind up to leave last year and wanted out for various reasons but mainly his injury management and also wasn’t in a good headspace which then turned into what happened this pre season.

The club had to work really really hard to convince him to stay.

Now this .

The Cats have been trying to get him for two years now.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

1 minute ago, Jaded No More said:

If the club thinks we should rebuild around our young players, why sign Viney long term? Why keep Langdon? Why not also trade Trac? Why chase Houston?

Oliver just turned 27. That’s prime age for a midfielder. Cripps won two Brownlows in his 30s.

Club needed to make this assessment a month ago. Is this group still up for it or are we fooling ourselves? If it's the former you put all your efforts into getting this group right and bolstering them through solid trades and a high end draft pick or two. If it's the latter then do what Richmond have done and get as much value out of your players at the trade table and load up at the draft. Our behaviour implies the club is being pulled in two different directions from within.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, bing181 said:

If he's being shopped around, I don't know that any of us know the reasons. The internal workings and the internal dynamics of a playing group and club are not generally accessible to the wider public.

But to throw my own baseless speculation into the ring, I do wonder whether deep down here at some level the club has decided to close-off on this playing group and look to rebuilding around the next group down (JVR, Rivers, Judd, Windsor etc) plus going to the draft - and in particular this draft which apparently has plenty of talent. We've got Pick 5, perhaps we can massage our way into a second first-round pick. But if we could get a third first-rounder as well, it could go a fair way to setting us up long-term.

So ... Oliver: getting older, would get us some decent picks plus clear salary space. Also, much as we love him, he's not bringing leadership or a wise head either - and this when we've lost Gus and ANB.

Random thoughts.

in theory that has some merit but it seems likely we wouldnt be getting anywhere near the compensation necessary for him and may still be forking out part of his contract for years to come, which would be extremely unpalatable

I love DL.  People hear or read things, then make all sorts of assumptions about what is going on and then reach conclusions as if their conclusion was written in holy writ, especially if it is consistent with their own previous disapproval of a person or the club. 

How about some "If this is true, then X" rather than just saying "X"?  Just occasionally?

In this case try insering an IF at the beginning of the sentence:  Pert is shopping Oliver around without the knowledge or in opposition to the list managers, he should be sacked. 

We can vent all we like, but very few of us know anything about what's goig on.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, KozzyCan said:

Club needed to make this assessment a month ago. Is this group still up for it or are we fooling ourselves? If it's the former you put all your efforts into getting this group right and bolstering them through solid trades and a high end draft pick or two. If it's the latter then do what Richmond have done and get as much value out of your players at the trade table and load up at the draft. Our behaviour implies the club is being pulled in two different directions from within.

At a guess Goodwin's pushing for top ups and others are saying "time to trade and draft to future success" I'll take the latter as I reckon we've lost the game on option 1.

Just now, sue said:

I love DL.  People hear or read things, then make all sorts of assumptions about what is going on and then reach conclusions as if their conclusion was written in holy writ, especially if it is consistent with their own previous disapproval of a person or the club. 

How about some "If this is true, then X" rather than just saying "X"?  Just occasionally?

In this case try insering an IF at the beginning of the sentence:  Pert is shopping Oliver around without the knowledge or in opposition to the list managers, he should be sacked. 

We can vent all we like, but very few of us know anything about what's goig on.

Hear hear!! Some unfounded rumours on trade radio, which is dying to find things to talk about, and everyone here is crying, "the sky is falling, the sky is falling" and is blaming it on whoever their particular personal scapegoat is. And completely overlooking that Clayton Oliver has said he is not interested in Geelong!

• Like 2
  • Facepalm 2

3 minutes ago, Ollie fan said:

Hear hear!! Some unfounded rumours on trade radio, which is dying to find things to talk about, and everyone here is crying, "the sky is falling, the sky is falling" and is blaming it on whoever their particular personal scapegoat is. And completely overlooking that Clayton Oliver has said he is not interested in Geelong!

Where did Oliver say that? (possibly hearsay - like everything else)

2 minutes ago, Ollie fan said:

When did Clayton Oliver say he wasn’t interested in Geelong? Or are you just doing exactly what you’re accusing others of doing - choosing to believe the parts of reporting they want to believe?

• Like 2
  • Clap 3

1 minute ago, Ollie fan said:

He had an interview with Geelong!!!

This is not a rumour 

Just keep your head in the sand if it makes you happy 

• Like 5
  • Clap 2

3 minutes ago, Dee Boys said:

When did Clayton Oliver say he wasn’t interested in Geelong? Or are you just doing exactly what you’re accusing others of doing - choosing to believe the parts of reporting they want to believe?

That's because he lied and chose to make it up on the spot.

Ollie will believe what he wants to believe. Delusional really.

• Like 1

Clarry ain't going anywhere,Cats couldn't even afford him and give us suitable picks with Bailey Smith coming to the Cats.

This is all just BS by Morris and McClueless to fill rubbish articles.

I'll read this thread again on the last day of trade week and find surprise,surprise Clarry is and always was staying,you can all waste the next 3 weeks of your life on the pointless thread!!!

• Clap 1

14 minutes ago, Wrecker46 said:

I praying Oliver is there next year and Pert isn't

Agreed.

I am quite angry about this situation arising two years in a row.

I want Clayton Oliver to stay a Demon for the entirety of his career.

I don't know how Geelong can afford BOTH Bailey Smith and Clayton Oliver.

• Like 1
  • Clap 1

Not only has Clarry removed #13 Melbourne fc from his insta bio, but he's also now set up a LinkedIn account. I had no idea he worked as a kitchen hand in Echuca before being drafted. Imagine that kid on the pass! He is also currently undertaking a commerce degree at Deakin, so clearly has his eye on the future. 

About bio: "My name is Clayton Oliver. I enjoy playing any sport really, being outdoors and being with friends and family. My main passion is sports, and hopefully one day I will be involved in a sporting environment eventually. I would like to see myself as a hardworking, reliable, determined and loyal worker. My strengths include supportive, reliable, observant, enthusiastic, loyal, hard-working and good practical skills."

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Club is in total Disarray!!! all need a shakeup . MASS SACKINGS need to occur. Appears to me Clarry would find a Geelong environment, much more condusive to his footy and personal needs!