Oliver Trade Rumours

Oxdee

2 hours ago, Oxdee said:

Just a reminder that this club won a grand final followed by 2 x top 4 finishes and a win/loss record of 75%… 

Most ‘Other clubs’ haven't come close to this 

Yeah we also won 5 flags in 6 years, times change. Living in the past has never served this club well.

• Clap 3

8 minutes ago, titan_uranus said:

We’ve pushed him out.

We’ve ceded bargaining power. 

We’re a complete mess. 

Take it to the bank if Twomey is reporting it. 

Thanks for the many memories Claz.

Praying those in charge know what they're doing (not confident).

• Like 5
  • Thinking 1
  • Sad 1

46 minutes ago, Oxdee said:

In fairness to the club they never predicted a major hamstring injury that has potentially altered his game and major off field issues. 

Just like any marriage, you can't predict the future unfortunately. 

• Like 1

so....all of Trac, Pickett and Oliver likely leaving this year or next. Followed in the coming years by the retirement of big Max and JV. And the possibility that Caufield turns into nothing. Its like a welcome back to 2013....re remembering  the foot of the ladder and being the brunt of the media and other supporters jokes. We had a nice short holiday at the top . but this is a fall thats as  dizzying in its speed and drama as was winning the flag in 21. 

On the flip side. We did  win that flag....and for a 50 plus year supporter that is no small thing. Its a  piece of joy I never thought Id get.  I for one  will continue to buy memberships and support the club as fiercely, if not more than, I always have ...and hope we may re organise in some way to make our rise faster than it was back then. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Thinking 1

42 minutes ago, Age said:

I also really question how Goodwin can continue. All reports are that is saying that they can control Clayton and get best out of him but the higher ups are saying no you can't, we have to get him out. If a board does not think a coach can get the best out of his players when why is that coach still there?

I, too, have been thinking about this for some time; to my mind, Oliver is not alone in this argy-bargy that has been ongoing since the Flag. We have waved goodbye to several 'sure things' under this tutelage and there have surely been some stoics in the team that have shown certain reluctancies onfield and in applied endeavours. We urgently need an independent Club review and to ignite a new motivator, sweeping or brushing-up our team with a new broom, lock, stock and barrel. We are approaching a condition and performance-level of 'stale'. The Ooze no doubt saw it as a mountain too steep to climb.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Davos said:

Take it to the bank if Twomey is reporting it. 

Thanks for the many memories Claz.

Praying those in charge know what they're doing (not confident).

If those in charge knew what they were doing I suspect this club wouldn’t be [censored] in its own bed so badly 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, titan_uranus said:

What nonsense!  Why does it have to happen? Why can't he go somewhere else?

We have asked Clarry to explore his options.  This is one of the options. If the Cats are keen you can bet the bombers etc would be.

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, Age said:

The only way that I would accept the rubbish that we will get for him would be if the club actually grew a backbone and specifically came out and basically gave a list of reasons why he has to be out. It does not have to be exact but list things like missing specific behaviour related goals/KPIs etc etc. Basically trash the player so that we as members say "ok, he is terrible, we need to get rid of him..."

I know the club wouldn't do it but the way we just seem to roll over and accept things like being told we are not a big enough/relevant enough club (Trac) or that we can't handle players with too many issues (Oliver) really gets on my nerves and makes my dream of us being a powerful/successful club even more of nothing but a dream.

Don't worry they will leak to their mates in the media about how much of a loose cannon Clarry is so the supporters focus their anger on Oliver instead of where it should be directed.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Don't worry they will leak to their mates in the media about how much of a loose cannon Clarry is so the supporters focus their anger on Oliver instead of where it should be directed.

You need to be careful using that sort of strategy, when you're already a club struggling to attract talent at the trade table. Especially given who Clarry is managed by.

We are looking like a shambolic organisation. If we start burning our own, even after they leave, it will be yet another red flag. 

Edited by Jaded No More
  • Like 3
  • Clap 2

Just now, Jaded No More said:

You need to be careful using that sort of strategy, when you're already a club struggling to attract talent at the trade table.

We are looking like a shambolic organisation. If we start burning our own, even after they leave, it will be yet another red flag. 

Think we need to have a Review of the Review.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

Just now, Brownie said:

Kozzy leaving?

hes not going anywhere , and has never said anything of the kind

• Like 1

Well ultimately in this instance Newton's  3rd is playing out.

🤔 But if the 'Buck' stops with Oliver then there are many 'quarters' accountable to others.... eh Simon 😉

1 minute ago, Jaded No More said:

You need to be careful using that sort of strategy, when you're already a club struggling to attract talent at the trade table. Especially given who Clarry is managed by.

What's this thing you call strategy?

• Haha 2

Don't shoot me but I look at this subjectively, Pert would have sounded out other CEO's regarding Oliver with Lamb's blessing (otherwise Lamb's tenure is not looking good). Any deal with any club of such a large extent, that would impinge on their salary cap would have to go via their CEO and Board, this cuts out all the argey bargey for their recruiting manager, trying to do a deal and the Board quashing it. Meaning the Board and CEO would know prior to doing a deal with Oliver's management group and Melbourne, that they would be likely to ratify such a deal. The Cat's CEO would have gone to their recruiters and set some parameters for a deal. Like I said don't shoot me.

Not sure I like the way Pert has gone about this though, it got out to the media very quickly. 

I personally would like Clarry to stay but it looks beyond him to change his ways.

• Thinking 1

Now watch all the rumours and reports re Clayton's behavior mysteriously disappear when he joins a professional club.

The media will probably call 2025 the year of redemption for Clayton, and get right behind him.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

I've said it once and I'll say it again: trading him to Geelong is going to be one of the dumbest things we could do, and other clubs are going to be asking Melbourne what the hell they are doing. 

Reminder that Geelong dealt with this with Stevie J, Collingwood with Swan and Didak, Hawthorn with their own collection of issues, and Richmond with Martin.

We somehow let our equivalent go from 4x B&F winner, multi-time All Australian, Coaches and Player MVP, to literally being the most cooked and overvalued contract in the league in the course of 12 months.

We will lament this. Irrespective of his cultural and behavioural issues.

• Like 18

Ahhhhhh...... fresh air says Clarry....

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Melbournes cultural issues have been tearing them apart for 2 years now and if this is the circuit breaker required then so be it.  1 player doesn’t make a team and I have a feeling this will help us more than hinder us.

Thanks for your service Clarry! 

Edited by Demons11
  • Like 12

We’ve mismanaged Clarry to the point where we will be virtually giving him away.

Getting rid of him may fix some of the issues/distractions, but we don’t move forward as a club without moving on the folks who mismanaged this so badly. Farcical.

• Like 8
  • Clap 1