Oliver Trade Rumours

Oxdee

7 minutes ago, BAMF said:

Maybe.

I owe some people on here and apologies and I realise how rose coloured my views have been. Looking back I can see how I've stuck my head in the sand and thought thing would just turn out alright.

I'm as disappointed as everyone else.

Apology accepted, bruh. 

Edited by Ethan Tremblay
  • Haha 2

As stated, Oliver doesn't want to leave

Club open to him staying

Pert goes and does his own thing.

And yet he opens up enquiries on other parts of the football club. He's a disgrace 

• Like 11
  • Thinking 1

1 hour ago, Jaded No More said:

The only absolute disgrace is this post 

Couldn't agree more. An alleged 'supporter' who is not a true supporter of this great football club. He also has a very bad memory.

• Like 1

How in 3 yrs after winning a flag and a great midfield have we unraveled & unbelievably our top 5 picks of brayshaw retired , Oliver who knows , trac who knows may all be possibly gone ..only the mfc can manufacture this ..

• Like 7

36 minutes ago, Ethan Tremblay said:

Your post says more about you than what it does Clarry. He has been an amazing player for us, one of our best, ever. Who knows what someone is going through/experiencing that can often lead to certain, abnormal (for them) behaviours. How about you quit being such a child and show him some support. Since bombing out of the finals two seasons in a row, in straight sets, we’ve been low-hanging fruit for the media. Don’t blame Clarry for the media’s almost constant witch-hunt, over the last year or so, on our club. Imagine if one of our players was in the exact situation as Stengle found himself in, earlier in the season. We would have been smashed by the media. Stengle plays for Geelong. Crickets. 

Well said Ethan. Never a truer word has been spoken.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thinking outside of the box…. Melbourne are on the AFL’s watch list. Given the rumours which swirled around during the year and the incidents that allegedly occurred but haven’t been settled yet, the AFL may be the one pulling the strings here. They certainly have an interest in ensuring the AFL brand doesn’t get damaged any further and I’m sure their close connection with the media enabled them to quietly move Rothey on and steer the club in a different direction in terms of the board.

it may have been a tap on the shoulder from the AFL which led to Pert jumping on the phone. Not making excuses for him, just highlighting the fact that the AFL is involved in lots of stuff we don’t see. 

The scope of the review ought be expanded to encompass the CEO’s role in recent times.

This is started to look even worse.

It also be conducted at arms length. Malcolm speed was right.

IF what is said about Pert is true, I’m worried and it’s hard to escape the conclusion we are not a serious club

• Like 4

8 hours ago, whatwhat say what said:

the amount of effort it required to keep players like oliver in line, and yet always provide a bail out option, is enormous - there’s a line where it becomes a whole-club distraction and other staff members - players, off field, etc. - begin to get a bit over it

This. We’re in the middle of an external review of our culture. It all adds up.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, The Jackson FIX said:

If it’s you then Bye Bye but please don’t bother coming back (ever) if this is how fickle you plan to be. 

Will be a lot more than 1. This club is a disaster zone. Will be many dark unforgettable years ahead thanks to these clowns. Should have started a cleanout at the end of last year.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, layzie said:

Is there anything we can do in a way that doesn't splatter us across the front of the newspapers at the moment? Anything at all?

Thats why we need a "Proper Review" First the board and then the management and coach. The club is failing on many fronts in my view. Rare to see issues managed this way by Geelong etc

• Thanks 1

Clod light of day

Pert shops Oliver around.

Oliver sits and talk with Geelong

they sell

strong Football Club

strong coaching group

talented team

Modern trading facility within 20 minutes of beach lifestyle

deakin University for his course of study

If we don’t make Geelong pay by getting a player they don’t want to lose we will be walked over for years in and off the ground.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Using Oliver as a scapegoat for our cultural issues, while the people who actually run the show like Pert, remain unblamed. 
No wonder Oliver met with Geelong. He must be sick and tired of being blamed for everything that’s gone wrong at our club, despite his continued and best efforts to get better, and despite his unwavering love of the club!

If Geelong, who some claim have the best culture, are interested in Clarry, Smith and took Stengle, it goes to show you that the problem lies not with the individual, but with the club behind the individual. 

• Like 14
  • Love 1

SDK and a future first, they pay his salary in full...which is already cheap as chips!

Likely reality: We'll pay for his new beach house, part of his salary and get a pack of chips and a diet coke in return.

You can just see it unravelling now. The thing is if we were a well run club we would transition our team on this trade but we won't we'll fluff it. Without all the noise about other aspects of our club and the Petracca mess, we could trade Oliver for plenty and make a big play for Butters. However no one's coming here this year or next. 2025: Cooked....Great work team.

Edited by Roost it far
  • Like 1
  • Clap 1

9 hours ago, Ouch! said:

Can I ask people an honest question? there are a lot of rumours about Clarry. If only a few of them are true, and the decision has been to part ways as the best option for all parties. Is it not incumbent on the MFC to look at the best option for itself, whilst also attempting to facilitate something that is in Clarry's interests too?

I have no inside info, I have no clue as to whether there is any language of "him or me" with Petracca, and I hate that we seem to be firmly in the spotlight yet again.... but 6 years left at a mil a season, which apparently is 7-8% of our cap. If we can facilitate an outcome of a 1st round pick and a good player that meets our needs, we may need to act for the best interests of the club. 

The MFC played the tough love card at the start of the season with Clarry, and I don't think they can play it again with him. 

I understand also that this is one of those decisions that can break a club, but it can also help galvanise (especially as it would appear that this is just one of those things that will not go away)  I don't judge anyone for hating the club if a call is made here.  TBH I'm still struggling with what happened to Gus, and seeing him make that speech and still looking like he is struggling with what has been put upon him.... so yeah I get the emotions.

Thoughtful and rational post. Thank you.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Deez21 said:

As stated, Oliver doesn't want to leave

Club open to him staying

Pert goes and does his own thing.

And yet he opens up enquiries on other parts of the football club. He's a disgrace 

Media relations at the club are a joke.

Pert brought in Clare Petty to lead our Comms department. How are we getting destroyed in the media and always seem late to the party to respond? We've somehow gotten worse at it. In my 20 years in corporate affairs I've never seen such contempt for a major stakeholder (being the supporters in a footy club's case).

The comms strategy is in the toilet. They need to work harder and better and controlling the narrative here. Seems like a massive disconnect between the CEO office, the football department, and the media team. Key job as chief/GM of comms is to control the external messaging, and build internal ambassadors and engagement to avoid leaks/disgruntled comments externally. 

https://x.com/JoshGabelich/status/1769602121350156534?s=19

If you're going to "deny deny deny" you need to craft it in a way that is neither the truth nor a lie. Melbourne straight up lies. 

Edited by praha
  • Like 9
  • Love 2
  • Clap 5

6 minutes ago, praha said:

Media relations at the club are a joke.

Pert brought in Clare Petty to lead our Comms department. How are we getting destroyed in the media and always seem late to the party to respond? We've somehow gotten worse at it. In my 20 years in corporate affairs I've never seen such contempt for a major stakeholder (being the supporters in a footy club's case).

The comms strategy is in the toilet. They need to work harder and better and controlling the narrative here. Seems like a massive disconnect between the CEO office, the football department, and the media team. Key job as chief/GM of comms is to control the external messaging, and build internal ambassadors and engagement to avoid leaks/disgruntled comments externally. 

https://x.com/JoshGabelich/status/1769602121350156534?s=19

If you're going to "deny deny deny" you need to craft it in a way that is neither the truth nor a lie. Melbourne straight up lies. 

Unfortunately our media department went down the toilet the moment they got rid of Ben Gibson.

• Like 7
  • Clap 1

8 hours ago, Skuit said:

Clarry is the ginger-ninja. 

Players who I have felt upset about leaving the MFC:

Jeff Farmer (to be honest, I can't remember my feelings that much).

Liam Jurrah (I thought we could still work it out).

Sam Frost (made football fun, but I got over it after a good breakfast). 

If Clayton, Trac or Kysaiah leave, I'll probably take the opportunity as well. 

Soft. But I'm sick of this abusive relationship. 

And our own fans who constantly gaslight and fuel it. 

This is footy.
No different at other clubs. Geelong supporters feel hard done by because they made so many prelims but only won a single flag after 2011.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Unfortunately our media department went down the toilet the moment they got rid of Ben Gibson.

To be fair, they would have happily kept him.

• Like 1