Jump to content

Featured Replies

I can't see a scenario where we trade out our first round pick and not get back into the first round of this draft. We know we need mids, this draft is stacked with them, and JT is the master of picking mids. 

This may well be the best draft hand we will have in a long while, especially if we rise up the ladder next season and then Tassie comes in. 

I would be quite shocked if we gave away our first rounder for a 28 year old half back, as much as I highly rate Houston and can completely understand where he fits into our side.

 

On Saturday night we need to be on our best behaviour and avoid this game being a complete mess if he's seriously considering the Dees.

I can't imagine the impression we're going to leave him if we get tonked.

And why is he considering leaving Port? Homesick?

2 hours ago, CatFishPig said:

Send a future first.

Our future first could quite easily be around pick 6-8 in the last year before Tasmania enters.

No thanks

bottoming out for twenty odd years is something we've all seen and has nearly killed this club

 

Geelong landed Dangerfield at 25 years of age for Dean Gore (who?) pick 9 and 28.

I am in disbelief posters think even one high first round draft pick is 'fair' for a 28 year old half back who was a rookie pick!

The talk of two first round picks is just the dumbest thing I've ever heard and was made up by Sam Landsberg when he was spit balling and nonsense and having a guess at what their asking price would be. Nobody knows what's going on. 

If the reports of him wanting to come home are true, then we will not be giving up two first round draft picks and if we gave up any, it'd have to be a late first roundee with a swap that saw our second rounder improve for this year. 

He's on a three year contract, there simply must be something going on for him back home which is why people have us as landing him but it means we have the upper hand. 

10 minutes ago, middleagedemon said:

The talk of two first round picks is just the dumbest thing I've ever heard and was made up by Sam Landsberg when he was spit balling and nonsense and having a guess at what their asking price would be. Nobody knows what's going on. 

Landsberg sounds like a schoolkid on that show midweek tackle.


  • Author

Cal Twomey said that he thinks he'll be playing at Melbourne next year and it will take our pick 7 and next years first as a starting point.

I'll be absolutely mortified with the club if we part with pick 7 for a 28 year old half back flanker and next years first.

 

8 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Cal Twomey said that he thinks he'll be playing at Melbourne next year and it will take our pick 7 and next years first as a starting point.

I'll be absolutely mortified with the club if we part with pick 7 for a 28 year old half back flanker and next years first.

 

Agreed. Happy to trade a first for him but 2025 first would be my offer

4 hours ago, middleagedemon said:

Geelong landed Dangerfield at 25 years of age for Dean Gore (who?) pick 9 and 28.

I am in disbelief posters think even one high first round draft pick is 'fair' for a 28 year old half back who was a rookie pick!

The talk of two first round picks is just the dumbest thing I've ever heard and was made up by Sam Landsberg when he was spit balling and nonsense and having a guess at what their asking price would be. Nobody knows what's going on. 

If the reports of him wanting to come home are true, then we will not be giving up two first round draft picks and if we gave up any, it'd have to be a late first roundee with a swap that saw our second rounder improve for this year. 

He's on a three year contract, there simply must be something going on for him back home which is why people have us as landing him but it means we have the upper hand. 

It's admirable that you're arguing for us to give up the bare minimum and get back more. You really have the Dees best wishes in your heart. Unfortunately that's not how it works. We don't have the upper hand at all. Port will just keep him if they don't get a high value. Why would Port give away their AA half back for a kid who's not even in the top 10 of players in this or next years draft? Would you do that trade last year for a 27 year old Jake Lever? Or just keep him?

IF we split our first rounder and only offer a late pick in the teens, then it's not us who will be improving our other picks as you mentioned, but them. And dramatically.

As for the talk of two firsts. It was Callum Twomey on gettable that first mentioned it. He's far more reputable than one of SEN's talkback hosts. Although I think He just rates Houston that highly and doesn't have any knowledge on any dealings between clubs. Edit: Got him confused with Sam Edmund lol. 

Edited by John Demonic

 
19 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Cal Twomey said that he thinks he'll be playing at Melbourne next year and it will take our pick 7 and next years first as a starting point.

I'll be absolutely mortified with the club if we part with pick 7 for a 28 year old half back flanker and next years first.

 

Yeah I’d only do that trade if Georgiades came with him too.

4 hours ago, Bring-Back-Powell said:

On Saturday night we need to be on our best behaviour and avoid this game being a complete mess if he's seriously considering the Dees.

I can't imagine the impression we're going to leave him if we get tonked.

And why is he considering leaving Port? Homesick?

If he is so intellectually limited as to decide whether he comes to us based on a single game at the end of a down year for us then I don’t want him 


6 minutes ago, Smokey said:

If he is so intellectually limited as to decide whether he comes to us based on a single game at the end of a down year for us then I don’t want him 

Think we’ve beaten them more times than lost in the last 3-4 years, so I’m sure that’s fresh in his mind

On 05/08/2024 at 12:49, adonski said:

Imagine if Tim Lamb put forward the suggestion to trade Fritta, he'd be walked to his car

7 minutes ago, layzie said:

This is a joke right? Pick 7 and a future first for a 1 time AA? 

If I was to defend Twomey or Landburger, it would be that their podcast is so short and time limited that they're not going to get into the intricacies of pick and player swaps going both ways to make it more amenable to both parties. He's going to give a ballpark amount based on his value. So of course we shouldn't do that trade UNLESS something mouth watering is coming back either a player or their first round pick if they make a prelim which I think they the might be willing to give up

eg Pick7+F1+F2 for Houston+Pick 15*

Edited by John Demonic


On 05/08/2024 at 22:55, Demonsterative said:

I hope this is tongue in cheek John! Not some inside knowledge.. 

There are rumours swirling about Fritta. 

45 minutes ago, John Demonic said:

It's admirable that you're arguing for us to give up the bare minimum and get back more. You really have the Dees best wishes in your heart. Unfortunately that's not how it works. We don't have the upper hand at all. Port will just keep him if they don't get a high value. Why would Port give away their AA half back for a kid who's not even in the top 10 of players in this or next years draft? Would you do that trade last year for a 27 year old Jake Lever? Or just keep him?

IF we split our first rounder and only offer a late pick in the teens, then it's not us who will be improving our other picks as you mentioned, but them. And dramatically.

As for the talk of two firsts. It was Callum Twomey on gettable that first mentioned it. He's far more reputable than one of SEN's talkback hosts. Although I think He just rates Houston that highly and doesn't have any knowledge on any dealings between clubs. Edit: Got him confused with Sam Edmund lol. 

I'm arguing that we shouldn't be and won't be giving up anywhere near what is being suggested and I'm basing that off what has gone before us where a past player, (Dangerfield), a three time AA to that point at 25 years of age only cost Geelong a fringe player, pick 9 and 28. Geelong received  Dangerfield and third round pick in exchange, (so yes I would expect something back if we were giving up two first rounders).

Whenever a player wants to 'go home' and especially for personal reasons, the club will not hold said player at ransom. Which is why I think the talk of us giving up two first rounders is ridiculous. I don't care what Cal Twomey or Sam Landsberg say, they're guessing. 

I will genuinely rip my membership in half if we give what is likely to be pick 6 away for Houston. It's ludicrous. 

6 minutes ago, John Demonic said:

If I was to defend Twomey or Landburger, it would be that their podcast is so short and time limited that they're not going to get into the intricacies of pick and player swaps going both ways to make it more amenable to both parties. He's going to give a ballpark amount based on his value. So of course we shouldn't do that trade UNLESS something mouth watering is coming back either a player or their first round pick if they make a prelim which I think they the might be willing to give up

eg Pick7+F1+F2 for Houston+Pick 15*

Maybe it literally was a starting point?

5 minutes ago, Demons11 said:

There are rumours swirling about Fritta. 

Careful, you'll be called names and labelled a liar by a particular poster on here. The outrage and demands of retraction will be all over every thread

🙄

Port are just posturing. Perspective required.

Geez, we got pick 13 plus a future 1st round pick from Freo for Jackson. We just got lucky Freo had a [censored] season and we got an early 1st rounder.

Jackson is a young "generational player". With respect as Dan is a good player he is really at 28 years old next season and a flanker not worth more than a mid to late 1st rounder.

" Fremantle have secured generational talent Luke Jackson in a blockbuster trade with Melbourne, sending two first round selections to the Demons plus a swap of later picks. As well as Jackson, Fremantle receive picks 44 and 67 in exchange for pick 13, Fremantle’s 2023 first round pick and 2023 second round pick."

 

Edited by manny100


20 minutes ago, middleagedemon said:

I'm arguing that we shouldn't be and won't be giving up anywhere near what is being suggested and I'm basing that off what has gone before us where a past player, (Dangerfield), a three time AA to that point at 25 years of age only cost Geelong a fringe player, pick 9 and 28. Geelong received  Dangerfield and third round pick in exchange, (so yes I would expect something back if we were giving up two first rounders).

Whenever a player wants to 'go home' and especially for personal reasons, the club will not hold said player at ransom. Which is why I think the talk of us giving up two first rounders is ridiculous. I don't care what Cal Twomey or Sam Landsberg say, they're guessing. 

I will genuinely rip my membership in half if we give what is likely to be pick 6 away for Houston. It's ludicrous. 

Fair enough. Although wasn't he a restricted free agent ? Had something to do with Adelaide wanting something better than Pick 15 compo but also Geelong not giving away too much, given he could be had for free a year later. 

Can't think of another comparable trade. I do echo your sentiments about wanting something back  but maybe we're all guessing about Port and his relationship. Maybe Houston doesn't mind waiting a year or two to move, so they'll hold out for a good deal. I'm forgetting but wasn't it an Essendon player that got held to the contract and traded a year later? Daniher?

Edit: Josh Dunkley! He was held to "ransom" and the club and player didn't seem to care. And got on with business for a year until the next trade period.

Edited by John Demonic

2 minutes ago, John Demonic said:

Fair enough. Although wasn't he a restricted free agent ? Had something to do with Adelaide wanting something better than Pick 15 compo but also Geelong not giving away too much, given he could be had for free a year later. 

Can't think of another comparable trade. I do echo your sentiments but maybe we're all guessing about Port and his relationship. Maybe Houston doesn't mind waiting a year or two to move, so they'll hold out for a good deal. I'm forgetting but wasn't it an Essendon player that got held to the contract and traded a year later? Daniher? Few other examples.

It is hard to compare because when a player is OOC  then the club is a little at the mercy of the club nominated, whereas as Houston is contracted Port don’t have to trade. I think a lot will come down to Port’s plans with incoming players and their salary cap, so we may negotiate a bit harder if we feel they need his salary off their books to secure their target.

It's likely the AFL will bring in the trading of future 2026 picks this year. If that's the case, I'd be landing Houston and then using the other first rounders to be getting at least 1 2024 first rounder.

 
1 minute ago, Binmans PA said:

It's likely the AFL will bring in the trading of future 2026 picks this year. If that's the case, I'd be landing Houston and then using the other first rounders to be getting at least 1 2024 first rounder.

Or we can just do a Geelong and hardly use any picks for the next 10 years

25 minutes ago, Demons11 said:

There are rumours swirling about Fritta. 

That he wants out or we want him out? 


Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

Featured Content

  • GAMEDAY: Geelong

    It's Game Day, and reinforcements are finally arriving for the Demons—but will it be too little, too late? They're heading down the freeway to face a Cats side returning home to their fortress after two straight losses, desperate to reignite their own season. Can the Demons breathe new life into their campaign, or will it slip even further from their grasp?

      • Clap
      • Thanks
    • 86 replies
    Demonland
  • PREVIEW: Geelong

    "It's officially time for some alarm bells. I'm concerned about the lack of impact from their best players." This comment about one of the teams contesting this Friday night’s game came earlier in the week from a so-called expert radio commentator by the name of Kane Cornes. He wasn’t referring to the Melbourne Football Club but rather, this week’s home side, Geelong.The Cats are purring along with 1 win and 2 defeats and a percentage of 126.2 (courtesy of a big win at GMHBA Stadium in Round 1 vs Fremantle) which is one win more than Melbourne and double the percentage so I guess that, in the case of the Demons, its not just alarm bells, but distress signals. But don’t rely on me. Listen to Cornes who said this week about Melbourne:- “They can’t run. If you can’t run at speed and get out of the contest then you’re in trouble.

      • Love
      • Thanks
      • Like
    • 3 replies
    Demonland
  • NON-MFC: Round 04

    Round 4 kicks off with a blockbuster on Thursday night as traditional rivals Collingwood and Carlton clash at the MCG, with the Magpies looking to assert themselves as early-season contenders and the Blues seeking their first win of the season. Saturday opens with Gold Coast hosting Adelaide, a key test for the Suns as they aim to back up their big win last week, while the Crows will be looking to keep their perfect record intact. Reigning wooden spooners Richmond have the daunting task of facing reigning premiers Brisbane at the ‘G and the Lions will be eager to reaffirm their premiership credentials after a patchy start. Saturday night sees North Melbourne take on Sydney at Marvel Stadium, with the Swans looking to build on their first win of the season last week against a rebuilding Roos outfit.
    Sunday’s action begins with GWS hosting West Coast at ENGIE Stadium, a game that could get ugly very early for the visitors. Port Adelaide vs St Kilda at Adelaide Oval looms as a interesting clash, with both clubs form being very hard to read. The round wraps up with Fremantle taking on the Western Bulldogs at Optus Stadium in what could be a fierce contest between two sides with top-eight ambitions. Who are you tipping this week and what are the best results for the Demons besides us winning?

      • Thanks
    • 162 replies
    Demonland
  • CASEY: Gold Coast

    For a brief period of time in the early afternoon of yesterday, the Casey Demons occupied top place on the Smithy’s VFL table. This was only made possible by virtue of the fact that the team was the only one in this crazy competition to have played twice and it’s 1½ wins gave it an unassailable lead on the other 20 teams, some of who had yet to play a game.

      • Clap
    • 0 replies
    Demonland
  • REPORT: Gold Coast

    In my all-time nightmare game, the team is so ill-disciplined that it concedes its first two goals with the courtesy of not one, but two, fifty metre penalties while opening its own scoring with four behinds in a row and losing a talented youngster with good decision-making skills and a lethal left foot kick, subbed off in the first quarter with what looks like a bad knee injury. 

      • Clap
      • Love
      • Thanks
    • 0 replies
    Demonland
  • PODCAST: Gold Coast

    The Demonland Podcast will air LIVE on Monday, 31st March @ the all new time of 8:00pm. Join Binman, George & I as we analyse the Demons loss at the MCG to the Suns in the Round 03. Your questions and comments are a huge part of our podcast so please post anything you want to ask or say below and we'll give you a shout out on the show. If you would like to leave us a voicemail please call 03 9016 3666 and don't worry no body answers so you don't have to talk to a human.

      • Clap
      • Thanks
    • 69 replies
    Demonland