POSTGAME: Rd 15 vs North Melbourne

Demonland

We are quite possibly the worst side in the comp currently, just atrocious football to watch. Every side has young players, however we also have a whole bunch of premiership players. They just look exhausted & bereft of confidence. Thank god for May and Viney. 

• Like 6

13 minutes ago, binman said:

I met a mate and his young son after the game and walked into town with them.

The young fella, decked out in his signed Steve May jumper, was [censored] a hoop.

Loving life, kicking his footy, talking about the game and loving his team.

Wise beyond his years, he knows you celebrate and enjoy the wins when they come. 

He was just happy he'd be able to show his face in the classroom this week without the "What happened to Melbourne." chant.

1 minute ago, Redleg said:

The AFL appears to have admitted on their site the Windsor 50 was an error and will this week admit this one too.

They will not admit the Sheezel htb, the Kozzie put down well after he kicked it, the Petty non mark, the Tom Mac front on spoil, the Clarry  drag down and scrags at the stoppages, several other non htb calls to us and several soft ones to them, giving them half their score from frees or 50's. At one stage it was 9-4 frees to them in the last quarter and 3 of our 4 were marks we had already taken and an OOB on the full, essentially 9-1.

My barometer for umpiring is Mrs. Redleg, who unlike me hardly even notices them and she was screaming out "they are blatantly cheating and trying to get the Roos a win because of last week."

On a positive note, to have won with nothing from Fritta,and Clarry and  playing against 4 extra players was good.

BTW are our coaching panel watching the game, where was the extra defender in the last few minutes?

Funny.... my wife was similar... ( and she's Collingwood 😂😂😂 )

She also said.... "you almost managed to lose it"  ..  and she's right ....  just ask her !! ;)

• Like 1

We are quite possibly the worst side in the comp currently, just atrocious football to watch. Every side has young players, however we also have a whole bunch of premiership players. They just look exhausted & bereft of confidence. Thank god for May and Viney. 

Is this normal?

Viney - 38mins on the bench

Sparrow - 34mins

Tholstrup - 35mins

Chandler - 32mins

Van Rooyen - 40mins

McVee - 31mins

Howes - 40mins

Turner - 32mins

Bowey - 35mins

It probably is but it surprised me - I know when you break it down it’s ~8-10mins per quarter for each of them but still seems a lot especially coming off a bye. 

• Thinking 1

2 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Those who are deriding posters for being overly negative, I get it. We won, and winning is always better than losing.

Personally, I find it ironic.

I think it was after the hawks win,  my first post game post praised the team, but also referenced the haters on this site.

@Moonshadow was quick to call me out and give me some advice to just enjoy the win, allow others to do so too and not create bad vibes.

Plenty liked the advice.

Well, we won last night.

I might have missed it, but I don't recall reading a post from @Moonshadow imploring the many haters pouring scorn on us post game to enjoy this win and not create bad vibes.

• Like 5
  • Clap 1

12 hours ago, YearOfTheDees said:

I'm concerned that they "the coaches" are scared of subbing Oliver out of the game. A lot of coaches would have dragged him just for the silly frees he gave away.

We are the Club that all of the year gets obstructed from getting to the ball for the least reward in games, and it looks like it too. Two players in particular Max Gawn, because the umpires are actually s/scared of what he could do if not obstructed and Oliver who is constantly held off the ball at centre bounces.

• Like 3
  • Clap 1
  • Thinking 1

20 minutes ago, SFebes said:

Dunno.... was worth seeing it twice ;) 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Nicko said:

Is this normal?

Sparrow - 34mins

Tholstrup - 35mins

Chandler - 32mins

Van Rooyen - 40mins

McVee - 31mins

Howes - 40mins

Turner - 32mins

Bowey - 35mins

It probably is but it surprised me - I know when you break it down it’s ~8-10mins per quarter for each of them but still seems a lot especially coming off a bye. 

The play was on the Warne Stand side for long stretches. Sheezel was on the pine for nearly 10 at some point too. Can't do much when everyone is 100 metres away and the runner isn't allowed on.

• Clap 1
  • Thinking 1

12 hours ago, layzie said:

Look within 

I would be looking to check the number of bounces called that are now being used on us to prevent the obvious free kicks having to be paid and skewing the numbers evenness.

positives: youth, particularly McVee and Rivers last night

negatives: thought it was poor that we closed up shop so early

other things: Viney, Gawn and May....what a joy having these guys in Red and Blue. That tackle by Brown. Watching ANB suck air in the last and realising how hard they're working.

Three last things: I think we're in transition and I've finally accepted it. Still rueing last year as the one that got away, I'm not sure you ever lose that feeling. This competition is going to be scary even next year.

• Like 9
  • Thinking 1

59 minutes ago, Older demon said:

Can I bring some perspective.

I was lucky enough to be at the Presidents function and the guest speaker almost brought me to tears. Her name is Toni and Steven May is her favourite and he wore her name on his warm-up vest. Look it up and see Toni's story as she met Maisie at Casey this week and there is an Insta photo of her with him post game.

Diagnosed triple-negative breast cancer at the age of 31. Despite becoming infertile a surrogate derived her and hubby a family and then it returns and has metastasised to her brain. Somewhere in all this turmoil she wins the Amazing race and has the courage to state that statistically sometime this year she will become another victim of the cancer. She even stated it could be as early as October. I am not sure I could talk as candidly as she did to an audience. I really didn't mind her saying feck a lot and she was so brave, extroverted and I am glad Maysie played a blinder for her. Somehow the narrow win was nice be she left a legacy with me that goes beyond the game.

My only complaint for the night (umpires aside) is the miserable crumb that thought they could pocket my MCC/MFC staff and pink beanie I left under my seat when I moved away briefly at the end of the game. 

Not our best night but we won. I am so proud of this club for its commitment to Pink Lady and MND. The rest well, it is only a game and the sun came up this morning.

Perspective, love this post!

• Like 3

For those not feeling the happiness of a win, it is always great to have a win, even when it is not the sort of win you would prefer.

WE WON and our season is still alive, maybe not in great health, but alive nevertheless and that is good.

• Like 8
  • Love 1

12 hours ago, loges said:

I've seen plenty of games where I thought the umpires were trying to get a side over the line , but I don't think I've ever seen anything as blatant as tonight

Well let's see how many they do to get over the line this weekend alone. I think two so far. North  and Carlton. And three if you count TWSNBN because they favour them in most games anyway.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Older demon said:

Can I bring some perspective.

I was lucky enough to be at the Presidents function and the guest speaker almost brought me to tears. Her name is Toni and Steven May is her favourite and he wore her name on his warm-up vest. Look it up and see Toni's story as she met Maisie at Casey this week and there is an Insta photo of her with him post game.

Diagnosed triple-negative breast cancer at the age of 31. Despite becoming infertile a surrogate derived her and hubby a family and then it returns and has metastasised to her brain. Somewhere in all this turmoil she wins the Amazing race and has the courage to state that statistically sometime this year she will become another victim of the cancer. She even stated it could be as early as October. I am not sure I could talk as candidly as she did to an audience. I really didn't mind her saying feck a lot and she was so brave, extroverted and I am glad Maysie played a blinder for her. Somehow the narrow win was nice be she left a legacy with me that goes beyond the game.

My only complaint for the night (umpires aside) is the miserable crumb that thought they could pocket my MCC/MFC staff and pink beanie I left under my seat when I moved away briefly at the end of the game. 

Not our best night but we won. I am so proud of this club for its commitment to Pink Lady and MND. The rest well, it is only a game and the sun came up this morning.

Great post and all our best Toni. Hope the win brought you a little joy.

• Love 2

43 minutes ago, Nicko said:

Is this normal?

Sparrow - 34mins

Tholstrup - 35mins

Chandler - 32mins

Van Rooyen - 40mins

McVee - 31mins

Howes - 40mins

Turner - 32mins

Bowey - 35mins

Apply Occam's razor.

Why would so many players have such low TOG post bye?

Why would we stop to a walk in the last quarter (and struggle in the 2nd quarter) after a bye?

Why have we generally struggled around the bye period and post bye since burgess became high performance manager (with Selwyn following a similar model)?

Why are there so many strange results around this period every year?

(eg lions flogging port by 80 points at AO, dogs flogging freo by 70 points - after having beem flogged by the lions the previous week - roos going down to the pies by a point, the suns only managing 48 points against the saints under the docklands roof, the blues flogging the cats etc etc)

Why did we look so flat and have such poor skills in our win over the tigers after our first bye this season?

Now, there is likely to be multiple factors.

But a key one is almost certainly that clubs, and in particular rhe dees, use byes to increase the intensity of their anaerobic and aerobic training.

Which impacts their post bye performance because they are fatigued.

It is worth noting that after the pies game  the players got their break straight after the game and then came back and trained for the roos game.

If they wanted to maximise freshness for this game they would have trained and then rested.

They took the same approach in our first bye period. And came out flat against the tigers.

It's also worth noting that arguably  our best performance of the year came in the second game after a bye - our win over the cats.

A six day break into Friday night's game against the lions means they are likely to have a light week on the track. And so will be fresh and ready to roll.

Winning will be a tall order (when was the last time we were $4.55 to win a game?) but I suspect the dees will surprise a few people next Friday  night.

Edited by binman
  • Like 4
  • Love 1
  • Facepalm 1
  • Thinking 2

12 hours ago, P-man said:

Highlight for me was seeing Ooze grinning ear to ear in the crowd next to Brown Snr as I knew it would trigger some tiggers and the Richmond BF board didn’t disappoint:

Poor look our coach publicly supporting his old side. Should concentrate on winning a game first.”

“It's not a good look being the face of one footy club and outright barracking for another. Fair enough I know blokes have their allegiances and attend reunions but celebrating a 3 point win for your old side against bottom of the ladder just smacks of not having the right priorities given where he's at and the season Richmond is having.”

Why was ooze at the G tonight cheering on his old team? :$

He’s no Hardwick yet , should concentrate on being a better coach.”

“Sack immediately. Bloody disgrace.:thumbsdown:

I've never liked him and wasn't happy with his appointment tbh.”

He would fit quite nicely back here thanks.

45 minutes ago, Fork 'em said:

He was just happy he'd be able to show his face in the classroom this week without the "What happened to Melbourne." chant.

Unless his classmates are Demonland posters for whom a win is still a loss.

• Haha 1
  • Clap 1

59 minutes ago, Bring-Back-Powell said:

When was the last time a club won a game with less than 300 possessions? That’s genuine 1980’s and 1990’s quantity.

Usually clubs that’s don’t crack 300 cop a belting.

A glimpse of the future with our new hyper efficient model. It’s struggling to look coherent currently in this year of transition but we learnt from last year and look out next year when it clicks.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, binman said:

Personally, I find it ironic.

I think it was after the hawks win,  my first post game post praised the team, but also referenced the haters on this site.

@Moonshadow was quick to call me out and give me some advice to just enjoy the win, allow others to do so too and not create bad vibes.

Plenty liked the advice.

Well, we won last night.

I might have missed it, but I don't recall reading a post from @Moonshadow imploring the many haters pouring scorn on us post game to enjoy this win and not create bad vibes.

You’re having a crack at a poster for not “pouring scorn” on other posters? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Clap 1

Positives: Rivers in the midfield (where he should always be now), McVee poise, May, Viney, TMAC did his job again, breast cancer awareness, holding on to win, kids getting gametime, Kynans tackle.

Negatives; Pickett pulling out of contests lately (wonder if it has to do with his reports, Gawn sooking to umpires, how terrible we are actually playing, poor coaching, crowd numbers, skill level, lack of forwards with actual forward craft, Fritsch, Oliver.... (I'd look to trade him if what I'm hearing is true).

Not that we don't know where we are at now considering our efforts against WCE, Frem, Coll and almost losing to North, but a real test against a red hot Brisbane will make or break our season officially I feel.

Edited by SFebes
  • Like 1
  • Clap 1