POSTGAME: Rd 12 vs Fremantle

14 minutes ago, binman said:

What a horror show.

For a change I can't find a single thing erroneous. 

It was wasn't  it.

Imagine that little red and blue wagon....and all wheels falling off.

1 hour ago, ElDiablo14 said:

We keep saying that, yer teams like Collingwood or Carlton keep recruiting top talent. We haven't been able to bring a half decent player since 2022.

Sorry - name one "top talent" (as you put it) that the Flith has recruited in the last two years that would have filled a need at the Deez?

• Like 1
  • Clap 1

Sun comes up tomorrow, result won't change. It doesn't define us as supporters and Carlton ****wits will get theirs in time. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, whatwhat say what said:

"obliterated in every phase"

goodwin not a happy camper

He has 1000's of 'friends' in that regard

2 hours ago, titan_uranus said:

And so our run in the top 8 comes to an end. 82 consecutive weeks by my count. I like stats and records so it saddens me that it’s over (would love to know if it’s any sort of record - @WheeloRatings?) but maybe it’s a blessing - time to get real about our midfield, our list and our fitness. 

Yes, 82 weeks and it's the longest streak since Geelong 2007-2011 when they spent 107 weeks in the top 8.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Queanbeyan Demon said:

Sorry - name one "top talent" (as you put it) that the Flith has recruited in the last two years that would have filled a need at the Deez?

It's not a like for like, every club has its own needs.

We haven't fixed the Key forward and midfield depth issues.

1 hour ago, WalkingCivilWar said:

I also don’t think it’s the answer.

I’m curious as to why some think this is the answer and who they think should replace him. @ElDiablo14… you’ve been loudly n proudly calling for Goody to be sacked. I’ve lost count of how many times you’ve said it in just the last two hours, not to mention the love heart reactions you’re quick to give others who also say it. And that’s fine: blah blah entitled blah blah opinion. Maybe you can answer my questions: why is sacking Goody the answer? And who should replace him? TIA 👍🏽

For goodness sake @WalkingCivilWar . . . the answer is obvious. MCQualter and Yze. @ElDiablo14 said so himself. He's on top of it . . .

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Rod Grinter Riot Squad said:

I actually can’t recall a press conference where Goodwin was so strong in his wording.

I thought he was pretty good. I’m glad he also mentioned the coaches. We need an overhaul.

1 minute ago, Queanbeyan Demon said:

For goodness sake @WalkingCivilWar . . . the answer is obvious. MCQualter and Yze. @ElDiablo14 said so himself. He's on top of it . . .

Never mentioned McQualter, please don't be disingenuous just because you don't agree with how I feel about the team.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Maldonboy38 said:

Today consolidated 4 themes that have emerged and been growing over the past 2 years, but on full display this year win, lose or draw. 

Our kicking skills are poor. Really poor. We hand the ball over unpressured time and time again. Today was foul. Our foot skills lack penetration, favour opposition interception, but it is often covered up by Petracca or Bowey getting one right making us froth at the mouth. And we have not recruited good foot skill players in the last 3 years.

Our forward line is weak. I have some compassion for Fritsch but even he this year has had moments of disinterest and weak effort. Kozzie is too much flash and not enough result. Petty forward (which I thought was a very good idea) is an epic fail. Singe basic forward error: lack of movement. Stationary targets to create scores from stoppages. And unfortunately I think this part of our game plan. We lack presence.

Our midfield is struggling. There is a part of me that cannot believe this to be true, but the results don't lie. We often now get beaten badly at stoppages and centre bounces, and teams annihilate us by handballing forward. Gus was way more important than we thought, with Sparrow, ANB, Rivers, Kozzie and others not being given time to develop in there.

Our backline covers over many cracks

I do NOT believe it is time to sack Goodwin, play the kids blah, blah, blah. I have watched a lot of Casey games and apart from Jefferson and Verrall developing nicely, there is no-one forcing the door down for an AFL game. 

I don't think there is a single answer, but I would love the boys to find a fire in the belly again, which is the main thing lacking. A John Northey rant. The aggro of Shwartz or Grinter or Neitz. No thuggery, but a fierceness, a line in the sand. Jakovich arrogance. 

Sadly, the 2024 premiership is probably beyond us now.

Very good observations. 

Flag.. I'd say top 8 relevance.

The lid was lifted today and all the world could see....an empty chest..

The areas you highlight...spot on.

Add another 

Our Coaching Dept has no real clue about plans and personnel.  We have the wrong game and wrong list.

Yes ...without doubt a handful of gems.  Some about to say au revoir...some off the boil..  some just wasted.

Much of the list.....meh.

There will be those that say that's nasty,  cruel, inconsiderate.  To them... I couldn't care any less than I do.  They are supposed to be an elite professional club.  To be there you ought to be good  better than most etc. When there, a usually shortish ( relatively) time you want to be the very best...for you , the jumper,club and fans.

Today we understand that doesn't always apply.  Play like [censored].....then take the [censored].   That was [censored]

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jaded No More said:

I love this man, and I will support him leading this club to my death. He is a legend. 

Surely he'll remain involved with the club after he retires. Maybe the next president?

Posted (edited)
36 minutes ago, demon3165 said:

One paced midfield and lack of kicking and handball skills pure and simple.

Poor pressure (much of the year), over using HBs and don't cope well with frontal pressure or any sustained high level pressure either.

The inside was obliterated today and as soon as it got outside of the contested circle they were too fast and slick.

What a dog's breakfast and not the first time.  Brissy & then the Eagles both showed us up as phoneys.  Today was just the extra icing.

Whatever game plan Goodwin was working on in terms of transition from turnover from the defensive zone, with the list as is, that is now dead in the water for this season.

He needs to get us back to our 1 wood of stoppage / clearance dominance and two way running from mids and wingers.

Salem & Sparrow are not the answer through the middle.  Nor ANB ... yes throw him in occasionally for 10 - 15% of time at CBs but thats about it.  Certainly not up in the 40s - 60s we've seen of late.

Kozzy yes but not so high on the CBA % either Simon.  Around 30% mid / 70% small forward, sharing the role with Tracc.. approx 70% mid / 30% HF feels about right.

Clarry is too hit & miss right now.  His pressure game, run out of stoppage is poor and hands are shocking.

I'd love to send a message to him & the entire group here.  Drop him to Casey for at least two to three matches and ask him to work on these aspects and get himself right.

His best is just ok and his worst is just too far away at present.  But it's easy to say these things.  Who do you bring in?

The cupboard for mids is bare at Casey right now.  The lack of anyone of quality pushing up for spots is costing us this year imv.

The naysayers can laugh but it may well be time to start blooding Jeffo post the Collingwood match and in selective matches, starting with Norf.  Short stints and then back to Casey if needed.  Give the young fella a taste of the big league.  You never know.  He just might surprise.  Even if he doesn't, there's nothing to lose now.

Build the rest of our game around the above and fast or this will be another season lost.

Edited by Demon Dynasty

1 hour ago, P-man said:

I know it’s grossly unfair to focus on one player after that train wreck, but if McAdam is picked again next week I may vomit with rage.

Yes, but do you understand McAdams build up to playing is maybe the problem ?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Demon17 said:

Certainly not contenders, even with a win against the Pies next week.

You're in lala land if you think we have a chance against the Pies next week. Even with all their injuries they are a club with heart and pride, something sorely lacking at the MFC for 60 years.

• Like 2
  • Facepalm 1

11 minutes ago, Wizard of Koz said:

I may be on my own here but I thought we played quite well,

One is the loneliest  number.......

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, WheeloRatings said:

Port Adelaide lost by 92 points in round 8 2004 - one of three VFL/AFL teams to lose by 90+ points and win the premiership in the same season (Carlton 1945 and Essendon 1949 are the other two).

Hey Wheelo, when was the last time Geelong, Sydney or Collingwood lost by 90+?

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
30 minutes ago, Queanbeyan Demon said:

@ElDiablo14 said . . .

It's not a like for like, every club has its own needs.

We haven't fixed the Key forward and midfield depth issues.

@Queanbeyan Demon says . . .

Just out of curiosity, reviewing the 2022 and 2023 drafts, can you provide one viable option that the Deez should have pursed and didn't?

Edited by Queanbeyan Demon
Typo

8 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

You're in lala land if you think we have a chance against the Pies next week. Even with all their injuries they are a club with heart and pride, something sorely lacking at the MFC for 60 years.

Except a premiership 32 months ago.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Clap 1