PREGAME: Rd 10 vs West Coast

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Jjrogan said:

Huge week for Laurie and Woey.  Likely they'll both get a significant step up in game time.  Its pretty hard on young kids to constantly be cameo performers so we'll get a real assessment of where they are at.  Hard, dry ground should suit both players so really keen to see them beat their opponents. 

Scratch that!  Didn't see the teams. Laurie not even named.  The guy is meant to be one of the best runners at the club. Playing in Perth on a hot day.  But we're picking underdone veterans.  Its all a bit bizarre sometimes. 

Edited by Jjrogan
  • Like 1
  • Thinking 1

12 minutes ago, picket fence said:

That second shot looks like Fritta with dyed BLOND HAIR😁

I actually had a Fritta chook but he turned out to be a boy, likewise Langers. I had to give them up for adoption 😭 I will tell Fritta you think he looks like my chook and it’d be best for everyone involved that you two never meet. 😁

• Haha 2

13 minutes ago, Jjrogan said:

Scratch that!  Didn't see the teams. Laurie not even named.  The guy is meant to be one of the best runners at the club. Playing in Perth on a hot day.  But we're picking underdone veterans.  Its all a bit bizarre sometimes. 

Laurie is the 2024 version of Jordon and Bedford

Hunter will be on the line to his manager as well is my guess

• Thinking 1

i understand people wanting to 'bring players back via the vfl' but the history of this current football administration simply doesn't do it

they've clearly made the determination that a 'best team' player is better off getting run through their legs at the highest level, not the lower

i think you'll find that's more the norm for modern afl clubs than not

so feel free to pine for that older mentality of 'bringing players back via the vfl'

i would argue it simply doesn't happen in modern sport at the top level

• Like 14
  • Love 1
  • Clap 1

12 minutes ago, whatwhat say what said:

i understand people wanting to 'bring players back via the vfl' but the history of this current football administration simply doesn't do it

they've clearly made the determination that a 'best team' player is better off getting run through their legs at the highest level, not the lower

i think you'll find that's more the norm for modern afl clubs than not

so feel free to pine for that older mentality of 'bringing players back via the vfl'

i would argue it simply doesn't happen in modern sport at the top level

Its been that way since Burgess took over the high perfroamnce program.

As evidence Selwyn has the same philosophy, just this year alone we have had Tmac, BBB, Petty, Oliver and Bowey all coming back from injury (with the first four clearly being a little underdone) and being selected in the ones as opposed to coming though the magoos. 

Salem will make it six such examples this weekend. 

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Bring-Back-Powell said:

I think we've rushed back some players this year when they should've played VFL.

Spargo played round 0 off no pre season game minutes and that turned out terribly.

Bowey was poor last week and should've returned via Casey. Eight weeks off is a long time to get back up to speed, particularly in a high stakes top 4 kind of game.

I'm on the fence on whether a 4 week absence for Salem is considered a lack of match fitness. If it is then, playing he and McAdam probably isn't the wisest of moves as you pointed out.

We'll miss Langdon's run.

I think this is fair, but there is some 20/20 hindsight here.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, ElDiablo14 said:

Can someone remember what is our record as the Narrm Football Club?

I prefer not to remember.

Hint: not good.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

I'd take an underdone Salem over Laurie any day. Sure you could argue that Laurie has had limited opportunity due to being the sub, but what about Woewodin? He manages to have an impact even when coming on in the fourth quarter.

47 minutes ago, binman said:

Its been that way since Burgess took over the high perfroamnce program.

As evidence Selwyn has the same philosophy, just this year alone we have had Tmac, BBB, Petty, Oliver and Bowey all coming back from injury (with the first four clearly being a little underdone) and being selected in the ones as opposed to coming though the magoos. 

Salem will make it six such examples this weekend. 

seven actually

you forgot about spargo in opening round

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, poita said:

I can't see the wisdom in playing McAdam underdone and off a long plane flight. Why not give him another week at Casey and an MFC debut at the MCG next week? At this point the smart money would have him getting injured some time in the third quarter.

Surely Brown has to play, but our ruck stocks remain critically thin. Bad luck if Gawn falls apart under the strain of carrying this team every week.

Salem should be sent to Casey for a couple of weeks before being considered at AFL level. The risk of playing both he and McAdam lacking in match fitness would be off the charts.

Wow. I'll let the other 22 in the team know they need to lift. Especially those slack-ar$es May, Viney, Trac, Oliver, Tmac, Riv, TommyS, Tommy Petty and Kosi. 'bout time they all get their own ball I recon. 

Edited by Queanbeyan Demon
  • Clap 1

3 hours ago, WalkingCivilWar said:

Well, now that you’ve asked, it would be impolite of me to not oblige…

46026EBB-82BF-430E-A52A-1E3B10B8DD16.thumb.jpeg.127f78580094fcf5142e18f5fd4a8a36.jpeg

From left to right…

Back row: Jed or Harry

Front row: Roo, Melksy, Harmesy, Jed or Harry

A4087FA7-22F8-406D-AF93-D1F76234BA95.thumb.jpeg.d1facbd065f6f661f50096057f49172b.jpeg

Jed or Harry

9BDA0188-B2E5-4420-B699-E323F0077A47.thumb.jpeg.d924ab8bf538619b611fa6dcb72a4a4b.jpeg

Jed AND Harry, or Harry and Jed.  (the only time they don’t have tunnel-vision having scratched and pecked in long wet grass which leaves their afros clumped).

You’re welcome 😁

...though I did mean of them 'supporting the team'!

I guess their names go some way 😄

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, spirit of norm smith said:

Seems like we are now lacking the depth we had in 21,22 and 23.

Loss of Brayshaw hurts us in a big way as well as moving on guys like Bedford, Baker, Jordon, and Harmes.  

We didn’t move Bedford on, offered him a 3 year deal 

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, Demonland said:

Love it!

A few observations...

• Great kick from Hibberd to the goal square
  • incredible strength from TMac
  • I wish we had Cam Pedersen on the list today 
  • Horrible jumper 
  • Like 6

28 minutes ago, Jeremy said:

We didn’t move Bedford on, offered him a 3 year deal 

3 minutes ago, binman said:

#demon myths 

Which one is the myth? That we moved him on or that we offered him a three year deal? (Or neither of these options?) 

1 hour ago, Demonland said:

I was at this game, and I'm going on Sunday. Hopefully its a lot less nail biting than this finish!

Never seen Subiaco Oval empty out as quickly as after the full time siren on this glorious night.

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, La Dee-vina Comedia said:

Which one is the myth? That we moved him on or that we offered him a three year deal? (Or neither of these options?) 

I assume we either offered him unders in terms of length and/or money and/or GWS offered him overs in terms of length and/or money.

In other words I have no idea other than I'd imagine we offered him a deal.

2 minutes ago, Bring-Back-Powell said:

I assume we either offered him unders in terms of length and/or money and/or GWS offered him overs in terms of length and/or money.

In other words I have no idea other than I'd imagine we offered him a deal.

I think GWS offered him a permanent starting 22 role, and that’s what he really wanted and couldn’t get at Melbourne. 

• Like 6