POSTGAME: Rd 09 vs Carlton

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Oxdee said:

We didn’t win because we were down by 38 points to 0… chances of coming back after that is almost 0

Spot on.

Demons have a poor percentage. A draw would have been as good as a win having regard to that.

Such a poor start to the match. Yes, good comeback but I can't help feeling disappointed. 

Edited by Winners at last
  • Like 4

7 hours ago, Gawndy the Great said:

It’s very easy to say that it’s his finger or lack of preseason. I think we are seeing someone really battling his demons on and off the field. 

I hope he gets through it as I’m starting to think we may not see him return to his very best this year or possibly (god forbid) ever again. I thought he turned a corner last week, but something tonight was just a little off in his positioning , his attack on the contest and his willingness to cover the ground.  

The guys who struggled most last night were ones with no pre season or injury interrupted seasons. Think Clarry, Bowey, Turner, Chin was very wobbly on his knee etc. 

No wonder 5 day breaks are so hated. It is a really big disadvantage in AFL. 

6 hours ago, Bobby McKenzie said:

Compare Michael Vosses press conference to his Geelong counterpart. Full of praise for Melbourne and Petracca in particular. So different from Scott;s effort. Seems a well balanced and fair coach.

I don’t dislike Carlton for their players or coach, unlike Geelong. I just despise their arrogant, smug, crack smoking fans… except my best friend who is all those things except the last 😂

• Love 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Winners at last said:

Spot on.

Demons have a poor percentage. A draw would have been as good as a win having regard to that.

Such a poor start to the match. Yes, good comeback I can't help but feel disappointed. 

There is no doubt that the team is very fit and the blues started slowing down particularly in the last quarter,  players like ANB etc have better impact later on in games than when the game is first started at pace that's why we need a quick skilled player in the midfield.

• Thanks 2

Couldn't believe how often they outnumbered us at the contest for the first 3 quarters' Seems like we've lost balance between contest/clearance and post clearance possession/turnover. In games like this Goody needs to bring that spare mid he drops back off the contest and even up the numbers. Centre clearances when numbers are equal, what's happened there?

• Like 4

Posted (edited)

Three years from now, Gawn and May will be gone, possibly Viney too, and players like Trac, Salem, Langdon, Lever, ANB will all be over 30. We'll be bottoming out when Tasmania have first access to all the draft talent. A rebuild will take an eternity.

The coaches and the players need to get this [censored] figured out. I can deal with the second half of the decade being [censored] if we can win a [censored] final or two this year.

Edited by seventyfour
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, Binmans PA said:

You're talking about tonight, which I agree with.

Richmond game, I did not.

No you dismissed the fact that I said our midfield plays like against Carlton they’ll make us pay up forward.

• Like 1

Last 3 games against Carlton have been lost by less than a goal. All have been influenced by a dodgy goal review because the AFL won't pay for more expensive cameras.

• Like 2
  • Clap 1

Not one for using the dreaded 5 day break excuse but our game on Saturday was as taxing as they come, 5 days later and it's a wet track against a contender. It a lot of ways it does make the comeback look pretty impressive.

A forget game for me and hardly a representation of what the season holds for us, we'll bounce back. 

• Like 7

How is JVR expected to develop whilst having to ruck, countless times going  fwd with no tall fwds contest and expecting Fritsch to be our main target vs what the blues have. What’s the purpose of Fullerton sitting at Casey. 

• Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, Winners at last said:

Spot on.

Such a poor start to the match. Yes, good comeback but I can't help feeling disappointed. 

Huh? Our percentage is 121.%. It’s top 4 (only Sydney, Geelong and GWS are better).

Carlton’s is 109% by comparison.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Clap 1

8 minutes ago, titan_uranus said:

Huh? Our percentage is 121.%. It’s top 4 (only Sydney, Geelong and GWS are better).

Carlton’s is 109% by comparison.

Duffer me. 

• Haha 1
  • Clap 1

11 minutes ago, titan_uranus said:

Carlton’s is 109% by comparison

I would normally say a team with this percentage can't win a flag. 

however i think the pies had a low percentage last year too (due to all their narrow wins). the exception that proves the rule perhaps?

• Like 1

Just watched the second half again, despite giving them a 6 goal start we ground them down and we’re running out of our skins in the last quarter. How good is Petracca, Vines and Dukes shared goal, we outmarked them out run them, went inside 50 more often just let down by our kicking for goal and who says we can’t play in the rain and after a 5 day break. It really hurts that we lost but very proud of our never say die attitudes and behaviours. ANB was huge.!!

• Like 4
  • Love 1
  • Clap 1

1 hour ago, Jaded No More said:

The guys who struggled most last night were ones with no pre season or injury interrupted seasons. Think Clarry, Bowey, Turner, Chin was very wobbly on his knee etc. 

No wonder 5 day breaks are so hated. It is a really big disadvantage in AFL. 

I don’t dislike Carlton for their players or coach, unlike Geelong. I just despise their arrogant, smug, crack smoking fans… except my best friend who is all those things except the last 😂

How about Sydney they don't even have a 5 day break on their schedule.

• Angry 1

1 minute ago, YesitwasaWin4theAges said:

How about Sydney they don't even have a 5 day break on their schedule.

To be fair the second half of the draw hasn’t been set yet, but I’m sure AFL darlings like Sydney and Collingwood will avoid those short breaks 🙄

• Angry 1

Certainly couldn't fault the effort after quarter time, but we lost for two reasons:

1. I'm okay with our forwards not taking marks, as long as they are making a contest and bringing the ball to ground. We were excellent in this respect against Geelong, but terrible last night. The ease with which Weitering and co took intercept marks in our forward 50 was astounding.

2. The inability of our onballers to nullify Walsh and Cripps in the first 3 quarters, and especially the first quarter. Viney and Oliver may well not have entered the centre square given how ineffective they were. Petracca was banished to the forward line at quarter time for this reason also. We looked much better when Sparrow and Neal-Bullen were heavily involved later.

Ultimately those two reasons were why Carlton kicked the first six goals, and the game was effectively done at that point. Well done to our group for fighting on and preserving our percentage, but it was too little too late.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Clap 1

2 hours ago, Superunknown said:

Letting a team kick 5 goals and going goalless in the first quarter would be part of my brief of evidence your honour 

That hasn't happened for over 15 years, you think we're just going to keep going goalless in 1st quarters? That's your only evidence? We played 1 quarter and lost by a point, we're clearly still trying to improve our forward line and our effort was outstanding, we're 6-3 and have games coming up which we should win, going by your comment you're clearly a casual. 

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

8 hours ago, Demonsone said:

Did the umpires start the game before the goal reviewer was complete on May’s touched ball ??

Yes that is what appeared to happen. But it wasn't an official score review so they just stick to the normal routine.

If we lose another game to stupid umpiring error(s) again, im done. I can handle being beaten fair and square by an opposition, but when its due to poor officiating, its a different feeling - being cheated doesn't sit well with me.

• Like 3
  • Clap 2

Posted (edited)

Very dissapointed to lose to that mob yet again by less than a goal but proud of the fightback. If you had of asked me whether I'd take beating Geelong and running Carlton close 3 weeks ago I'd take it. We move on, learn and hopefully reverse the result later in the year. Umps yet again a disgrace which ultimately hurt.

Edited by danielE288
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Jaded No More said:

To be fair the second half of the draw hasn’t been set yet, but I’m sure AFL darlings like Sydney and Collingwood will avoid those short breaks 🙄

7 minutes ago, YesitwasaWin4theAges said:

If they haven't had one yet i can't see them having one, lets have a look when it all unfolds.

There won’t be any more Thursday night games in the rest of the fixture so the need for 5-day breaks will be reduced. 

I have a bit of a problem with some clubs getting two of them whilst others get zero. 

But unless the short break was a factor in our poor start I don’t think it was relevant otherwise. We ran the game out much better than they did.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Gawndy the Great said:

Yes that is what appeared to happen. But it wasn't an official score review so they just stick to the normal routine.

If we lose another game to stupid umpiring error(s) again, im done. I can handle being beaten fair and square by an opposition, but when its due to poor officiating, its a different feeling - being cheated doesn't sit well with me.

Is there any evidence floating around that May touched it? Has anyone gone back and looked at the footage? Sometimes people talk about it on Twitter/etc afterwards but I haven’t seen anything yet.  

At the ground you couldn’t see on the screen but it’s rare for a player to be that animated about a touch without actually touching it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, loges said:

Couldn't believe how often they outnumbered us at the contest for the first 3 quarters' Seems like we've lost balance between contest/clearance and post clearance possession/turnover. In games like this Goody needs to bring that spare mid he drops back off the contest and even up the numbers. Centre clearances when numbers are equal, what's happened there?

Its our system / method. The extra is on defensive side of stoppage. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, titan_uranus said:

Is there any evidence floating around that May touched it? Has anyone gone back and looked at the footage? Sometimes people talk about it on Twitter/etc afterwards but I haven’t seen anything yet.  

At the ground you couldn’t see on the screen but it’s rare for a player to be that animated about a touch without actually touching it. 

I looked at it frame by frame last night with what was on the telly and said it wasn't clear enough. My gripe was more aimed at the dangerous tackle which was far more conclusive and the officiating in the first half.

Edited by Gawndy the Great
  • Like 1