PREGAME: Rd 08 vs Geelong

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Oxdee said:

Hunter wouldn’t be replacing Windsor. It either Laurie or woe. Can’t imaging Laurie being dropped after 2 goals which leaves woe. Not sure woe has offered too much since coming in 

Not suggesting Windsor would be an omission in place of Hunter, although I can understand how it can be taken in that manner after re-reading my post. More referring to Hunter potentially taking retaking the wing position that Windsor has been playing. 

I don't think Laurie will be omitted either, but I also think Woey hasn't been as poor as some have suggested on here. I'd be happy to persevere with Woey in the side, at least for the time being until Bowey returns.  

Edited by BLWNBA
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Roost it far said:

Petty won’t be playing VFL, say it after me PETTY WONT PLAY VFL. How did that feel?

OK, I may be able to say it but I'd have all fingers and toes crossed.

You don't need me to point out that his performance in the last 4 games (not the Hawks where he played back against rubbish opposition) has been very poor.

In his last 2 games Petty has had a total of 8 disposals, taken 5 marks, laid 2 tackles, had no goal assists, and of most significance, booted only one goal.

Good opposition, such as the Cats,  will easily run off him.

TBH he is overrated as a forward on this board. Purely on the back of one standout game.

Since his bag of six goals he's managed a total of 3 goals in the 4.5 games since where he's played as a forward.

The FD will persist with him regardless of his output until he 'comes good' or there's a suitable replacement (McAdam maybe albeit obviously not like for like).

Harrison needs to start marking the ball. That's his one strength.
Look at his stats last year - 10 marks, 11 disposals (Tigers), 8 m, 13d (Saints), 7m, 17d (Bombers), 6m, 17d (Giants) etc

Don't get me wrong. I love him as a player. He's highly skilled. He is a forward. He needs to be kicking goals.

• Clap 1

I don't love Hunter, but I would be OK to see him in the team. We're too heavy on inexperienced players at the moment. His disposal sucks sometimes, but he is tough and reliably racks up 20 touches. He is what we need the next few weeks.

15 hours ago, Roost it far said:

This list needs to win another, we all know it. You only need to look back to last years finals to see what a wasted opportunity looks like. We had the Pies on toast and forgot the butter.

I don’t agree and will continue to fight back against this assertion. 

Premierships are hard to win. Everyone (current and former players, current and former coaches, analysts, everyone) says it. 

The bar should never be set at multiple flags. The fact that recent sides (Richmond, Hawthorn, Geelong) have done so doesn’t change that. They are the elite of the elite, not the standard. 

15 hours ago, Roost it far said:

I’ve watched that game several times. We had them on toast. Fritsch and TMac kick very gettable shots and we’re in the Prelim. Wasted opportunity, we’ve now got GWS, Geelong and Carlton pushing hard to be better than us. The next 2 weeks will give us a guide but this year above others we can’t afford injuries and we have to go top 4 and get a QF at the G.

Saturday night feels like a massive opportunity to get a very important 4 points and show the comp who’s still the boss.

I will say that we’re performing far better than I thought we would 8 weeks ago. 

GWS and Carlton started this year better than us already - they made prelims, we didn’t. 

However I can’t stand the whole “they’ve passed us” rhetoric that we see on here after losses or when people get down on our fortunes. It’s not how it works. 

• Like 1

With respect to MFC Saturday night crowds, our benchmark is 55,000 V Carlton which occurred on round 22 2022, when Kozzie kicked the winner with seconds left.

In that game, Carlton were eyeing their first final in 9 year while we had top 4 on the line. The weather was a regulation August night with no rain.

With so much at stake in that game, it would be hard so see us getting into the 50's this weekend. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, titan_uranus said:

I don’t agree and will continue to fight back against this assertion. 

Premierships are hard to win. Everyone (current and former players, current and former coaches, analysts, everyone) says it. 

The bar should never be set at multiple flags. The fact that recent sides (Richmond, Hawthorn, Geelong) have done so doesn’t change that. They are the elite of the elite, not the standard. 

GWS and Carlton started this year better than us already - they made prelims, we didn’t. 

However I can’t stand the whole “they’ve passed us” rhetoric that we see on here after losses or when people get down on our fortunes. It’s not how it works. 

The Tiges had an above average list, we have an excellent list. It needs to win another flag

49 minutes ago, M_9 said:

OK, I may be able to say it but I'd have all fingers and toes crossed.

You don't need me to point out that his performance in the last 4 games (not the Hawks where he played back against rubbish opposition) has been very poor.

In his last 2 games Petty has had a total of 8 disposals, taken 5 marks, laid 2 tackles, had no goal assists, and of most significance, booted only one goal.

Good opposition, such as the Cats,  will easily run off him.

TBH he is overrated as a forward on this board. Purely on the back of one standout game.

Since his bag of six goals he's managed a total of 3 goals in the 4.5 games since where he's played as a forward.

The FD will persist with him regardless of his output until he 'comes good' or there's a suitable replacement (McAdam maybe albeit obviously not like for like).

Harrison needs to start marking the ball. That's his one strength.
Look at his stats last year - 10 marks, 11 disposals (Tigers), 8 m, 13d (Saints), 7m, 17d (Bombers), 6m, 17d (Giants) etc

Don't get me wrong. I love him as a player. He's highly skilled. He is a forward. He needs to be kicking goals.

Sure but he ain’t playing VFL

11 minutes ago, Binmans PA said:

Mid to late 40,000s I reckon.

That is so poor lol

If we continue with crowds like this, we deserve what we get from Sam McLure.

And before I get the nuffy out from everyone- we would 93k for a final with Geelong at the G but 48k for a top4 matchup in Autumn… 

Got to raise that floor…

• Like 3

Saturday night football used to be the second most important timeslot for AFL games. It's arguably now been pushed to third by the AFL, presumably to satisfy the free-to-air broadcaster's wish for Thursday and Friday night games to take precedence. I know that my own interest in Saturday night football has waned because there have already been two night games and usually two earlier games on Saturday before it. 

I would love to go to this game, but I’m leaving for Paris tomorrow.
Rest assured that we’ll be well represented in Europe because my MFC cap is travelling too.

Allez les Démons!

• Like 6

10 minutes ago, Fanatique Demon said:

I would love to go to this game, but I’m leaving for Paris tomorrow.
Rest assured that we’ll be well represented in Europe because my MFC cap is travelling too.

Allez les Démons!

You should probably change your name to "Démon fanatique" to fit in properly.

Bon voyage.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Sir Why You Little said:

It’s an interesting point.

Hawkins is now primarily a Decoy Forward, to keep his opponent out of the game. 
Can he do that to TMac or May?

If he is a decoy forward, Spargie Pants will eat him alive!

8 hours ago, Oxdee said:

Hunter wouldn’t be replacing Windsor. It either Laurie or woe. Can’t imaging Laurie being dropped after 2 goals which leaves woe. Not sure woe has offered too much since coming in 

Windsor has speed to confuse opponents and a good eye, upfield. Windsor tackles confident ball-hoggers really well. Windsor comes in, for me. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Sir Why You Little said:

It’s an interesting point.

Hawkins is now primarily a Decoy Forward, to keep his opponent out of the game. 
Can he do that to TMac or May?

Very good point.

Many posters lauded May for keeping Franklin goalless without realising that Franklin was merely running May to the flank out of the hole and thus opening up their forward line.

Hope we play smart

• Like 3
  • Clap 1

2 hours ago, Binmans PA said:

Mid to late 40,000s I reckon.

MCC expecting 51,400. Would we be happy with that?

2 hours ago, Roost it far said:

The Tiges had an above average list, we have an excellent list. It needs to win another flag

I am going to continue to challenge the notion that we have an excellent list.

If you're looking at the top 10-12 or so on the list, then sure, not only are we excellent but we're in the conversation for number 1.

But the entire list? Do we bat as deep as GWS, or Carlton, or even Port Adelaide? Are we across the board as strong as Geelong, or Sydney, or Collingwood? Can our list be "excellent" given our forward line?

1 hour ago, La Dee-vina Comedia said:

Saturday night football used to be the second most important timeslot for AFL games. It's arguably now been pushed to third by the AFL, presumably to satisfy the free-to-air broadcaster's wish for Thursday and Friday night games to take precedence. I know that my own interest in Saturday night football has waned because there have already been two night games and usually two earlier games on Saturday before it. 

It's fast becoming fourth, or even fifth, most important.

Both Thursday and Friday night are now seen as bigger than Saturday night. Channel 7 seems to want to push the Sunday 3.20pm slot too, whilst Fox is going bananas this week over the Saturday twilight slot.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, titan_uranus said:

Source? I thought they stopped publishing their expected crowds?

A lady I worked with now works at the MCG, I was told that figure. Tomorrow night is no real surprise, they’re expecting 90k.

• Thanks 1

Can't see us getting anywhere near the Cats to be honest. we're making too many mistakes and they're going to absolutely kill us for every single one of them. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Dwight Schrute said:

Can't see us getting anywhere near the Cats to be honest. we're making too many mistakes and they're going to absolutely kill us for every single one of them. 

Agree. Unless we get our disposal right it will be curtains.

We also will need to bring constant pressure.

Do those two things well and we can beat them.

• Like 1

In - Hunter, Hore

Out - Woewodin , Laurie

Sub - Windsor

I want experience this week, and I thought Woewodin and Windsor were liabilities at times for the Brisbane and Richmond games. Geelong will punish turnovers like no other. 

Hunter or Billings to be subbed out for Windsor.

Would like to give Laurie another go as sub, but it would be harsh to drop Windsor at this point and I can't see them resting him so soon after our bye. Perhaps he gets rested next Thursday night.

4 hours ago, rpfc said:

That is so poor lol

If we continue with crowds like this, we deserve what we get from Sam McLure.

And before I get the nuffy out from everyone- we would 93k for a final with Geelong at the G but 48k for a top4 matchup in Autumn… 

Got to raise that floor…

I agree. I go every week.

• Like 2
  • Clap 1