2024 AFL National Draft prospects: The next batch

1 hour ago, spirit of norm smith said:

AFL website reporting Melbourne has its future first-round pick on the table for the Suns' “pick 13” selection.  Maybe targeting one youngster the likes of Xavier Lindsay, Joe Berry, Cooper Haynes or Taj Hotton.  

Xavier Lindsay is an excellent kick.

Would definitely like to see the Demons draft him.

Here are some of his highlights:

• Love 1

22 hours ago, Jeremy said:

Some good intel there.

Not surprised Lalor is bouncing right to the top, especially as Rayner starts to put it together. Those physical, powerful, skilled players are so rare.

Same thing for Tauru. Will North pull the trigger? He’d be reminding Clarko of Sicily.

With Pickett not likely to stay long term can we make a move on Kako? Worse case scenario I’d love to upset Essendon.

Langford, FOS, Lalor, Tauru are still the 4 I want, gets a little murkier after that.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, DeeSpencer said:

Some good intel there.

Not surprised Lalor is bouncing right to the top, especially as Rayner starts to put it together. Those physical, powerful, skilled players are so rare.

Same thing for Tauru. Will North pull the trigger? He’d be reminding Clarko of Sicily.

With Pickett not likely to stay long term can we make a move on Kako? Worse case scenario I’d love to upset Essendon.

Langford, FOS, Lalor, Tauru are still the 4 I want, gets a little murkier after that.

Taura is not what we need.

The other 3 fit the bill though.

• Like 1

If North trade down from pick 3 in order to get one of the talls you'd think Richmond probably pick it up and get Lalor before us, if North don't trade down and keep the pick you'd hope Richmond select O'Sullivan with pick one and Lalor a chance to slide to us at 5

37 minutes ago, DeeSpencer said:

Some good intel there.

I had not watched any highlights of Kako until The Age rumoured our potential interest. The highlights show very good traits, super clean handling in tight, good burst acceleration, does not go to ground, simple compact kicking style. 

1 minute ago, Nascent said:

Kako is an Essendon NGA player. Given they've been desperate for a high quality small forward I can't see them not matching a bid.

Wonder if we have any interest in Essendon's first round pick and we're playing funny buggers

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, DeeSpencer said:

Some good intel there.

Slightly surprised that Kako’ linked at 6, but maybe there’s a bit of NGA angst being released there. He is a talent and has kicked some freakish goals this season.

Happy to make Essendon pay up, and I suspect they will, small forward position is a glaring hole in their list. Let’s see if we hear about any potential pick swap deals the Bombers are linked to. I know Bombers fans started panicking when Saints got band 1 compo.

If we are indeed interested in adding a quality small, maybe Joe Berry comes into the mix if we grab a second 1st round pick as well.

Also, good to see we have interest in Cooper Hynes, his range looks like being roughly where the ANB pick would be.

If our selections move in those general directions, we would certainly go some way to addressing our forward half connection issues.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, ChaserJ said:

Slightly surprised that Kako’ linked at 6, but maybe there’s a bit of NGA angst being released there. He is a talent and has kicked some freakish goals this season.

Happy to make Essendon pay up, and I suspect they will, small forward position is a glaring hole in their list. Let’s see if we hear about any potential pick swap deals the Bombers are linked to. I know Bombers fans started panicking when Saints got band 1 compo.

If we are indeed interested in adding a quality small, maybe Joe Berry comes into the mix if we grab a second 1st round pick as well.

Also, good to see we have interest in Cooper Hynes, his range looks like being roughly where the ANB pick would be.

If our selections move in those general directions, we would certainly go some way to addressing our forward half connection issues.

Remember when we were going to bid on Liam Henry in 2019 and ended up swapping 8 for 10 and 28 with Freo. Took Pickett anyway and got Rivers thrown in for free.

If our draft order breaks a different way we could do 5 for 9, 31 and a future 2nd with Essendon, gets them in to the draft ahead of a bid on Kako and loads us up with picks to move our other picks up the order. We can chase 20 from Brisbane or 23 from the Suns (or both) without giving up a future first.

Or deal the future first too and see if we can end the draft with a tall, a midfielder and a dangerous small similar to 2019.

Edited by DeeSpencer
  • Love 1

24 minutes ago, Nascent said:

Kako is an Essendon NGA player. Given they've been desperate for a high quality small forward I can't see them not matching a bid.

I agree, but their pick 9 makes it interesting. If they have a much better player on their board available (which is possible) they’ll have to abandon Kako, if they don’t they are forced in to moving that pick up or out.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, DeeSpencer said:

Remember when we were going to bid on Liam Henry in 2019 and ended up swapping 8 for 10 and 28 with Freo. Took Pickett anyway and got Rivers thrown in for free.

If our draft order breaks a different way we could do 5 for 9, 31 and a future 2nd with Essendon, gets them in to the draft ahead of a bid on Kako and loads us up with picks to move our other picks up the order. We can chase 20 from Brisbane or 23 from the Suns (or both) without giving up a future first.

Or deal the future first too and see if we can end the draft with a tall, a midfielder and a dangerous small similar to 2019.

I wonder if Hannaford at 9 would be an option in that scenario. 

1 hour ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Taura is not what we need.

The other 3 fit the bill though.

Can’t be too focussed on needs with our current list, we aren’t just one piece away anymore. Gun key forward, mid or mid/forward would be ideal but May’s just about done and Lever might have to play more CHB if he can’t run with smalls. If they think Tauru is special I’d pull the trigger. He might be the best marking forward in the draft too. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, DeeSpencer said:

Getting a cluster of talent in one draft (especially if all can be integrated relatively quickly) is critical to contending.  Our list was built around the cluster we brought in 2014 and that demographic and boosted by 2019.

2014's cluster is now depleted, but if we can get (at least) 3 very good players in together this year (to add to Windsor & Kolt last year), we could have another spike. That came through a little with Gawnie's speech last night about the journey and how even 2019, which was [censored] at the time, was an important step in setting us up for the premiership. We've had a horrible year, but the old adage of never wasting a crisis will be very much at play for our list management team.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Davos said:

I wonder if Hannaford at 9 would be an option in that scenario. 

Too early I think. You’d hope Armstrong gets through and otherwise be picking from the second tier mids - Draper, a bid on Marshall, Lindsay.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, DeeSpencer said:

Can’t be too focussed on needs with our current list, we aren’t just one piece away anymore. Gun key forward, mid or mid/forward would be ideal but May’s just about done and Lever might have to play more CHB if he can’t run with smalls. If they think Tauru is special I’d pull the trigger. He might be the best marking forward in the draft too. 

Shanahan and Armstrong are way ahead of him as a forward prospect. 

9 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Shanahan and Armstrong are way ahead of him as a forward prospect. 

Armstrong I probably agree. Shanahan I’m not sold on, very skilled and smart player but maybe not the best athlete. I think mobility is the vital trait for key forwards these day. Backs are just too good if you can’t get separation, you have to beat them with agility and be capable of marking with big leaps at the ball.

Thomas Sims might be my favourite of the tall forwards, from what I’ve seen he really jumps and clunks the ball. 

6 minutes ago, DeeSpencer said:

Armstrong I probably agree. Shanahan I’m not sold on, very skilled and smart player but maybe not the best athlete. I think mobility is the vital trait for key forwards these day. Backs are just too good if you can’t get separation, you have to beat them with agility and be capable of marking with big leaps at the ball.

Thomas Sims might be my favourite of the tall forwards, from what I’ve seen he really jumps and clunks the ball. 

Yeah I feel Sims has been underrated throughout the year.

Wouldn't mind picking him if he'd still there later down the track.

Twomey, ESPN and rookie me all have the following in their top 10.

Ashcroft, Smith, O'Sullivan, Langford, Draper and Lalor.

Thet differ on the other 5. Rookie me who put their rankings out after the Coates GF had Bo Allan pushed up to pick 5 after playing in a WAFL premiership. Evidently has good acceleration and at 191cm plays interceptor back, forward or mid. They also have Reid at pick 3 whereas Twomey at 5.

Everyone agrees. There is a lot of talent in this draft and the Dees need to maximize our picks.  It’s a reload this year.  The young talent coming through is so well prepared.  As we saw with Windsor, the young mids and running types can be solid contributors in year 1.  

This is the top 30 list from today’s Age

1. Sam Lalor GWV Rebels/Vic Country Midfielder/forward, 187cm, 30/8/2006

2. Levi Ashcroft Sandringham Dragons/Vic Metro Midfielder, 179cm, 18/12/2006

3. Alix Tauru Gippsland Power/Vic Country Tall defender, 191cm, 16/11/2006

4. Jagga Smith Oakleigh Chargers/Vic Metro Midfielder, 181cm, 28/1/2006 

5. Harvey Langford Dandenong Stingrays/Vic Country Midfielder, 190cm, 15/3/2006

6. Isaac Kako Calder Cannons/Vic Metro Forward, 175cm, 7/3/2006

7. Finn O’Sullivan Oakleigh Chargers/Vic Metro Midfielder, 182cm, 30/5/2006

8. Josh Smillie Eastern Ranges/Vic Metro Midfielder, 194cm, 17/5/2006

9. Leo Lombard GC Suns Academy/Allies Midfielder, 178cm, 5/10/2006

10. Sid Draper South Adelaide/South Australia Midfielder, 180cm, 5/7/2006

11. Harry Armstrong Sandringham Dragons/Vic Metro Tall forward, 195cm, 14/6/2006 

12. Tobie Travaglia Bendigo Pioneers/Vic Country Defender/midfielder, 187cm, 26/10/2006

13. Xavier Lindsay Gippsland Power/Vic Country Midfielder, 183cm, 3/8/2006

14. Luke Trainor Sandringham Dragons/Vic Metro Tall defender, 194cm, 10/4/2006

15. Joe Berry Murray Bushrangers/Vic Country Forward, 180cm, 18/4/2006

16. Taj Hotton Sandringham Dragons Midfielder/forward, 182cm, 17/6/2006

17. Jobe Shanahan Bendigo Pioneers/Allies Tall forward, 194cm, 2/8/2006

18. Murphy Reid Sandringham Dragons/Vic Metro Midfielder/forward, 181cm, 30/7/2006

19. Bo Allan Peel Thunder/Western Australia Defender/midfielder, 191cm, 16/2/2006

20. Ollie Hannaford GWV Rebels/Vic Country Forward, 180cm, 1/9/2006

21. Sam Marshall Sandringham Dragons/Allies/Brisbane Lions Academy Midfielder, 185cm, 19/1/2006

22. Jack Whitlock Murray Bushrangers/Vic Country Tall forward, 200cm, 16/5/2006

23. Jonty Faull GWV Rebels/Vic Country Tall forward, 195cm, 1/2/2006

24. Alex Dodson Sturt/South Australia Ruckman, 203cm, 15/6/2006

25. Jesse Dattoli Northern Knights/Vic Metro Midfielder/forward, 179cm, 7/8/2006

26. Matt Whitlock Murray Bushrangers/Vic Country Tall forward/defender, 199cm, 16/5/2006

27. Cooper Hynes Dandenong Stingrays/Vic Metro Midfielder/forward, 190cm, 28/2/2006

28. Tom Gross Oakleigh Chargers/Vic Metro Midfielder/forward, 181cm, 15/9/2006

29. Harrison Oliver Sandringham Dragons/Vic Metro Defender, 181cm, 15/6/2006

30. Christian Moraes Eastern Ranges/Vic Metro Midfielder, 183cm, 8/11/2006

• Like 1