Jump to content

Posting Unsubstantiated Rumours on this Website is Strictly Forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

    Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

    We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

    However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

    The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

    Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

    We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

    WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

    Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.


Maynard must get at least four weeks


leave it to deever

Recommended Posts

Just now, rollinson 65 said:

No, changed my mind because of all the cheap shots.

Not desisting until you are all dead.

Kind regards,

Rollo

So, when do you turn 8? 

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Lucifers Hero said:

I can't remember specifically remember the cases but Christian has let a few people off 'high contact' incidents on the basis of it "...was reasonable in the circumstances..."  It is my guess that this would have been his line before Laura Kane mercifully became involved.

I think Laura Kanes involvement is over stated. While as the Executive responsible for Football Operations she can ask for an incident to be referred to the Tribunal she does not sit on the Tribunal or have any authority to override the Tribunals decision. Additionally the appeals process should the Tribunal hand down a suspension allows for an independent panel, which Kane has no authority over, reviews how the Tribunal arrived at its decision and makes a final decision on the matter.  This incident would have always been referred directly to the tribunal.

I think Laura Kanes appointment is fantastic both in terms of her experience and transitioning from the old boys club to competent administrators, but to claim it will make a difference to the outcomes of this incident are unrealistic for the reasons above. The real impact Laura will have will start to flow through in the off season when changes are made to how incidents are reviewed and sanctions are graded and applied, in which test cases such as this one and the Van Rooyen one earlier this year, will provide valuable input.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

after cripps got off last year at the appeals stage the afl stated it was unhappy with the reasoning and iirc said that they would tighten up the processes to avoid a repeat of "legal mumbo jumbo" loopholes.  after all the afl do set up the process parameters of the appeals board.

did that ever happen?

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, WalkingCivilWar said:

Thanks in advance for desisting.


Wait, what’s this…

Look up “desist” in the dictionary, bruh. Coz you’re doing desisting wrong. 

Maybe he could throw in some ceasing.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, rollinson 65 said:

Admit the spelling mistake.

Even Hitler deserved a good lawyer. It is our system and a bulwark of our society.

I know I am repeating myself but the lawyers involved here will be looking at the real-time vision. Fractions of seconds mate, fractions of seconds. I don't care if Player Maynard gets banned for life. After all, he plays for the filth. I am just trying to prepare us all for disappointment. 

 

Yes.. he had a fraction of a second to turn and plow his shoulder into brayshaw. The first option would be to stick your arms out, get brayshaw in the chest and simply give up a free kick 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, chookrat said:

I think Laura Kanes involvement is over stated. While as the Executive responsible for Football Operations she can ask for an incident to be referred to the Tribunal she does not sit on the Tribunal or have any authority to override the Tribunals decision. Additionally the appeals process should the Tribunal hand down a suspension allows for an independent panel, which Kane has no authority over, reviews how the Tribunal arrived at its decision and makes a final decision on the matter.  This incident would have always been referred directly to the tribunal.

I think Laura Kanes appointment is fantastic both in terms of her experience and transitioning from the old boys club to competent administrators, but to claim it will make a difference to the outcomes of this incident are unrealistic for the reasons above. The real impact Laura will have will start to flow through in the off season when changes are made to how incidents are reviewed and sanctions are graded and applied, in which test cases such as this one and the Van Rooyen one earlier this year, will provide valuable input.

Had she not intervened this likely wouldn’t have even gone to the tribunal!!!! That alone is enough for me. 

  • Like 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, rollinson 65 said:

...

I know I am repeating myself but the lawyers involved here will be looking at the real-time vision. Fractions of seconds mate, fractions of seconds. I don't care if Player Maynard gets banned for life. After all, he plays for the filth. I am just trying to prepare us all for disappointment. 

 

I don't think you are. Many of us who disagree with you as to the nature of the incident are quite prepared for disappointment thank you very much without your condescension. 

And no you won't be proven right (as you claim in an earlier post) as to the nature of the incident if he gets off.  It will just confirm our suspicion that the AFL and the boot-licking media are corrupt and stupid.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites


5 minutes ago, chookrat said:

I think Laura Kanes involvement is over stated. While as the Executive responsible for Football Operations she can ask for an incident to be referred to the Tribunal she does not sit on the Tribunal or have any authority to override the Tribunals decision. Additionally the appeals process should the Tribunal hand down a suspension allows for an independent panel, which Kane has no authority over, reviews how the Tribunal arrived at its decision and makes a final decision on the matter.  This incident would have always been referred directly to the tribunal.

I think Laura Kanes appointment is fantastic both in terms of her experience and transitioning from the old boys club to competent administrators, but to claim it will make a difference to the outcomes of this incident are unrealistic for the reasons above. The real impact Laura will have will start to flow through in the off season when changes are made to how incidents are reviewed and sanctions are graded and applied, in which test cases such as this one and the Van Rooyen one earlier this year, will provide valuable input.

The bold part is what I was referring to as she reportedly overruled Christian in wanting to not lay any charges. 

Agree she plays no direct role on the Tribunal but the AFL can appeal a Tribunal decision

Edited by Lucifers Hero
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, bandicoot said:

He had another option… his other option was to put his hands out and brace for contact. The first option isn’t to turn and throw your shoulder into a defenceless player. That’s all the argument will need to be. Not sure what the rest of your argument is

he also had an option earlier when he embarked on a smother attempt, in such as a manner, where a collision was inevitabe.

that's 2 options and that's why it was graded as careless

Edited by daisycutter
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, daisycutter said:

he also had an option earlier when he embarked on a smother attemp,t in such as a manner, where a collision was inevitable.

Yep: when the word 'smother' comes up, I associate a player standing next to or close to the kicker pushing both arms down towards the kicker's boots. In other words, if you're a few meters in front of the kicker and you turn your shoulder into the oncoming kicker after he has kicked the ball is simply assault in my book.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, bandicoot said:

Yes.. he had a fraction of a second to turn and plow his shoulder into brayshaw. The first option would be to stick your arms out, get brayshaw in the chest and simply give up a free kick 

All this stuff about "what could he do?" as if he had no choice once committed to the jump. He had an opportunity and time not to turn his shoulder.

An Olympic diver can change from a pike to a somersault in mid-air and control their fall to enter the water head and arms first, all in fractions of a second.

 

  • Like 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just to be absolutely clear - the AFL Tribunal is not a Court of Law.

There's a specific AFL document that sets out its conduct:

https://resources.afl.com.au/afl/document/2023/03/01/9c9bdc05-2377-4ffb-a8a0-885835edcaf1/2023-AFL-Tribunal-Guidelines.pdf

On P.18 in examples of reportable offences, the Maynard charge of Rough Conduct: Careless Conduct, Severe Impact, High Contact the example is Patrick Dangerfield on Jake Kelly E1 2021:

Remarkably similar to the Maynard on Brayshaw incident.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, chookrat said:

I think Laura Kanes involvement is over stated. While as the Executive responsible for Football Operations she can ask for an incident to be referred to the Tribunal she does not sit on the Tribunal or have any authority to override the Tribunals decision. Additionally the appeals process should the Tribunal hand down a suspension allows for an independent panel, which Kane has no authority over, reviews how the Tribunal arrived at its decision and makes a final decision on the matter.  This incident would have always been referred directly to the tribunal.

I think Laura Kanes appointment is fantastic both in terms of her experience and transitioning from the old boys club to competent administrators, but to claim it will make a difference to the outcomes of this incident are unrealistic for the reasons above. The real impact Laura will have will start to flow through in the off season when changes are made to how incidents are reviewed and sanctions are graded and applied, in which test cases such as this one and the Van Rooyen one earlier this year, will provide valuable input.

Correct but the decision to refer was from her on a press release. Never been done this way and suggested she had a chat to the mro to set him straight. So as it stands today Maynard's getting 3 weeks.

Unless there's a compelling case against it. And I don't mean the football act, you haven't played the game garbage. Etc.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


17 minutes ago, rollinson 65 said:

No, changed my mind because of all the cheap shots.

Not desisting until you are all dead.

Kind regards,

Rollo

I'm sorry you feel that way. You obviously see the situation differently to many here. But I think any negativity you received be looked at with the same  rationality that you feel you have applied to this incident. This is a Dees fan forum who most are  closing ranks against a substantial ammount of noise out there. So its fair to assume some backlash . It's wrong if it's been personal but passions are understandably high, given there are more than enough defending Maynard already.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have lost faith in humanity.

Now the rabid Collingwood mob is blaming our doctors for letting a player wearing a helmet play. They are suggesting he got concussed in a previous play. 🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Demon17 said:

Correct but the decision to refer was from her on a press release. Never been done this way and suggested she had a chat to the mro to set him straight. So as it stands today Maynard's getting 3 weeks.

Unless there's a compelling case against it. And I don't mean the football act, you haven't played the game garbage. Etc.

a lot of commentators have said she overrode christian and that christian was not even going to make any charge.

i can see that this could be deduced but there are other possible explanations too

afaik no one at the afl (including christian) has actually made any statement on these claims. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, sue said:

I don't think you are. Many of us who disagree with you as to the nature of the incident are quite prepared for disappointment thank you very much without your condescension. 

And no you won't be proven right (as you claim in an earlier post) as to the nature of the incident if he gets off.  It will just confirm our suspicion that the AFL and the boot-licking media are corrupt and stupid.

OMG straight out of the Trump playbook.

The Appeal (if it even proves necessary) will be independent and Rules-based.

If you don't believe in the Courts as the third arm of government in this Country, God help us all. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, leave it to deever said:

I'm sorry you feel that way. You obviously see the situation differently to many here. But I think any negativity you received be looked at with the same  rationality that you feel you have applied to this incident. This is a Dees fan forum who most are  closing ranks against a substantial ammount of noise out there. So its fair to assume some backlash . It's wrong if it's been personal but passions are understandably high, given there are more than enough defending Maynard already.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, rollinson 65 said:

OMG straight out of the Trump playbook.

The Appeal (if it even proves necessary) will be independent and Rules-based.

If you don't believe in the Courts as the third arm of government in this Country, God help us all. 

hey, leave mythical creatures who live in the sky out of this

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Demonland Forums  

  • Match Previews, Reports & Articles  

    PODCAST: 2024 Season Preview

    The Demonland Podcast will air LIVE on Monday, 4th March @ 8:30pm. Join George, Binman & I as we Preview the 2024 Premiership Season. If you would like to leave us a voicemail please call 03 9016 3666 and don't worry no body answers so you don't have to talk to a human. Listen & Chat LIVE: https://demonland.com/podcast Call: 03 9016 3666 Skype: Demonland31

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 2

    TRAINING: Saturday 2nd March 2024

    On the eve of the 2024 Season I ventured down to Gosch's Paddock for one of the final preseason training session before we head up to Sydney to take on the Swans. Here are my observations from the training session. The session was light and despite it being a Saturday was akin to a Monday/Tuesday session following a regular season weekend match as we played on Wednesday night and the boys had a couple of days off after the Practice Match prior to the season proper. Main Squad: May,

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Training Reports 2

    ROUND ZERO by Whispering Jack

    The Coodabeen Champions have called it a day after more than forty years on various radio stations across Melbourne. When the lads chose the theme from the spaghetti western "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly" as their signature tune, the game was uncomplicated with little time for scientific strategy. Summertime was for easy living and games of cricket, footy teams assembled in February, played practice matches in March and the season opened in mid-April. In their time, the Coodabeens saw changes

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews 4

    PREGAME: Opening Round vs Sydney

    The Demons head up to Sydney to open the 2024 AFL Season against the Swans at the SCG. Who will debut for the Dees? Will Clarry be recalled to the team?

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 265

    PODCAST: Practice Match vs Carlton

    The Demonland Podcast will air LIVE on Thursday, 29th February @ 8:30pm. Join George, Binman & I as we dissect the Practice Match victory over the Blues at Ikon Park. You questions and comments are a huge part of our podcast so please post anything you want to ask or say below and we'll give you a shout out on the show. If you would like to leave us a voicemail please call 03 9016 3666 and don't worry no body answers so you don't have to talk to a human. Listen & Chat LIVE

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 69

    POSTGAME: Practice Match vs Carlton

    The Demons had total control of the practice match against the Blues taking out the honours and running out victors by 38 points at Ikon Park.

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 278

    GAMEDAY: Practice Match vs Carlton

    It's Game Day and the Demons are headed for a date with the Blues at Ikon Park for their final practice match before the ball is kicked in anger to open the season in just over a week's time. Date: Wednesday 28th February 2024 Location: Ikon Park Gates Open: 5:30pm Match commences: 6:40pm Watch: Foxtel & Kayo VFL practice match: Please note, the VFL practice match (10:30am) is no longer open to public. Entry: Your entry gate will be detailed on your ticket (4, 5 or 6)

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 308

    TRAINING: Tuesday 27th February 2024

    I headed down to Gosch’s Paddock this morning for the Captain’s Run in the lead up to tomorrow night’s practice match against the Blues.  The squad that took the field was indicative of the lineup for that match at Ikon Park.  Likely Selections based on the groupings of players at the Captain's Run today at Gosch's Paddock. Main Group: Gawn, Viney, May, JVR, Lever, Petracca, McVee, Windsor, Billings, Langdon, Bowey, Schache, Rivers, ANB, Fritsch, Sparrow, Chandler, Kozzy,

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Training Reports 4

    SCRUTINY & RESILIENCE by Whispering Jack

    If the week when preseason training melds into scratch matches with other clubs, is the first marker for the beginning of a new season, then this has certainly been a torrid opener for the Melbourne Football Club in its campaign to remain a leading AFL premiership contender in 2024. The Demons were already under enormous scrutiny from the media and football’s fan base (including their own) after consecutive straight-sets finals exits, with Clayton Oliver’s well documented woes, the Joel Smi

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 27
  • Tell a friend

    Love Demonland? Tell a friend!

×
×
  • Create New...