PREGAME: Rd 19 vs Adelaide

Demonland

That presser says all you need to know about the state of football journalism

A nine minute presser.

Five minutes of which involved questions about Grundy.

That despite Goody being crytal clear about the situation in answering the very first question.

And despite Goody addressing some of the stupid media talking points, they continued to ask stupid question (the very first question, which was about Grundy, was a good question - the rest were a joke as Goody had already answered them).

Goody was finally asked a football question - about the lions second and third quarters. A vague question got a vague response.

What i would have loved to hear being asked was what what actually happened - what did the Lions do differently, what did the dees do not so well. 

• Like 8

15 hours ago, Glorious Day said:

JB is a great player. Just having a poor series with the gloves. On fire before he stuffed up his knee late last year on the golf course.

What's with the golf?  Can these guys just focus on winning more premierships while we're in the window to do it, then when we hit a slump go play some golf...priorities!!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Young Angus said:

What's with the golf?  Can these guys just focus on winning more premierships while we're in the window to do it, then when we hit a slump go play some golf...priorities!!

He was talking about the English wicket-keeper, not the MFC.

AFL talking about Tomlinson considering trades again...maybe he's asked not to play or maybe they don't want to play  him because they know he's thinking about moving and might not put himself on the line as much as other players???  Baffles me why he isn't just put straight in instead of Petty, I reckon Tomlinson needs his shot and could be a stayer, really rate him.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Left Foot Snap said:

He was talking about the English wicket-keeper, not the MFC.

Ahhh...well I remember thinking the same thing about Melbourne players like May and Brayshaw when they were golfing like it was an easy Sunday morning meanwhile we were losing games and not at our best.

I stick to my comment :)

20 minutes ago, Young Angus said:

15 minutes ago, Young Angus said:

Ahhh...well I remember thinking the same thing about Melbourne players like May and Brayshaw when they were golfing like it was an easy Sunday morning meanwhile we were losing games and not at our best.

I stick to my comment :)

Players have to have a life outside of football. Their mental health is just as important as their physical wellbeing.

• Clap 1

29 minutes ago, Young Angus said:

AFL talking about Tomlinson considering trades again...maybe he's asked not to play or maybe they don't want to play  him because they know he's thinking about moving and might not put himself on the line as much as other players???  Baffles me why he isn't just put straight in instead of Petty, I reckon Tomlinson needs his shot and could be a stayer, really rate him.

At the start of the game against Brissy, he was in the rooms. I think I saw him on ch7's broadcast.

Perhaps back up for Petty, though not named as an emergency. 

Cannot imagine Tomlinson not giving 100% if selected. He even try's hard in the two's and at practice. 

• Like 7

11 minutes ago, kev martin said:

At the start of the game against Brissy, he was in the rooms. I think I saw him on ch7's broadcast.

Cannot imagine Tomlinson not giving 100% if selected. He even try's hard in the two's and at practice. 

I agree, he always tries hard, I want us to keep him.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/18/2023 at 8:09 PM, rpfc said:

Again, would you retire if you were a chance to play in this team? Unless of course we are delisting and just eating the salary 

I fully expect there would be difficult discussions involved,but both of them would likely based   carrying the last two years of injury forward into the longer term of their physical lives.

Both players will come back for the 5th,10th 20th Premiership reunions with their team mates 

1 hour ago, kev martin said:

Even if he was considering putting himself on the trade table, you would think he would be, if he gets the chance, to play his heart out to showcase what he is capable of doing to impress any Club recruiters.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, binman said:

That presser says all you need to know about the state of football journalism

A nine minute presser.

Five minutes of which involved questions about Grundy.

That despite Goody being crytal clear about the situation in answering the very first question.

And despite Goody addressing some of the stupid media talking points, they continued to ask stupid question (the very first question, which was about Grundy, was a good question - the rest were a joke as Goody had already answered them).

Goody was finally asked a football question - about the lions second and third quarters. A vague question got a vague response.

What i would have loved to hear being asked was what what actually happened - what did the Lions do differently, what did the dees do not so well. 

All you need to know about the state of football journalism #2

So i decided to listen to the SEN Sanderson strategy slot on catch up.

First topic for discussion - Brodie Grundy.

Whateley played goodies answer to the the first question of the presser, which is about Grundy. 

Goody notes the hysteria (his word) in the media and that Brodie will be back.

Chief hysteric, Whateley, doesn't bother defending the completely reasonable charge of hysteria. 

And Sanderson basically disregards what he has just heard from the lips of Goody and says Grundy unlikely to return to the ones this season. I mean the senior coach had just said he will be back for pete's sake. 

Wouldn't it be more appropriate to say at least something like, well Goody was adamant he would be back, but i have my doubts? 

5 more mins wasted on rubbish - remembering this is a segment supposedly about strategy.

They eventually get to the game and it is all about the Lions. Sanderson's take is they got on top becuase they beat us in the contest and clearances. That's it. That's where the analysis largely ends. And then goes on to say how good he thinks the Lions are and that they a real 'smokey' to win the flag (some smokey - they are third fav)

No respect for the dees effort to come back from 5 goals to win - the lions went too defensive apparently.

No talk about what we did to wrest momentum back - other than we won contested ball.

Fair dinkum, this is supposed to pass as analysis? 

• Like 11
  • Angry 2

18 minutes ago, binman said:

Whateley played goodies answer to the the first question of the presser, which is about Grundy. 

Chief hysteric, Whateley, doesn't bother defending the completely reasonable charge of hysteria. 

And Sanderson basically disregards what he has just heard from the lips of Goody and says Grundy unlikely to return to the ones this season. I mean the senior coach had just said he will be back for pete's sake. 

Wouldn't it be more appropriate to say at least something like, well Goody was adamant he would be back, but i have my doubts? 

5 more mins wasted on rubbish - remembering this is a segment supposedly about strategy.

They eventually get to the game and it is all about the Lions. Sanderson's take is they got on top becuase they beat us in the contest and clearances. That's it. That's where the analysis largely ends. And then goes on to say how good he thinks the Lions are and that they a real 'smokey' to win the flag (some smokey - they are third fav)

No respect for the dees effort to come back from 5 goals to win - the lions went too defensive apparently.

No talk about what we did to wrest momentum back - other than we won contested ball.

I love they don’t rate us. That permeates the AFL and the public. We’re going to stick it right up em 

• Like 7

49 minutes ago, Roost it far said:

I love they don’t rate us. That permeates the AFL and the public. We’re going to stick it right up em 

That's the right perspective.

It really shouldn't bother me the lack of respect we received. After all I should be inured to it having posted on dl for so long.

But if i was honest, it really does bother.

I spent my entire adolescence, and much of my adult life passionately supporting a team that, forget respected, has been openly ridiculed.

And i'm jack of it.

I have a theory.

Footy media is dominated by ex footballers who played in the 80s and 90s.

Lyon, Russell, Dunstall, Brereton, ling, Taylor, King, Montagna etc etc.

A common thread is the teams they played for did not respect the dees (with the obvious exception of Lyon- who I maintain has spent way more time running us down than he ever has pumping us up).

I watched a clip of the last two mins of the game ad called by the mmm team. I'll find it and put here.

It is shot of inside their box. The next box over is the sen box. Derwayne Russell is in the box, I assume calling the game. He looks like he is at a funeral foe the whole 2 mins. And doesn't appear to register an emotion hen jakey body marked and then goaled.

No doubt I'm reading too much into it, but for me it summed up the antipathy the footy media has towards us.

Edited by binman
  • Like 7
  • Clap 1

1 hour ago, binman said:

My best advice is to maybe steer clear of any footy media discussion if this is going to rile you up as easy as it's done so here.

• Like 1

The reason why those ex footballers don't repect us is because we are now beating the sides they used to play for.  And they are at least 10 years behind the game.  Look for respect to someone like Ken Hinkley who was very happy in beating us, as he knew what it meant, his side was on the way.

Also for some of the commentators it is a job and so when not on air they relax and 'count the seagulls'.

Anyway as long as we beat the Saints.....

1 hour ago, binman said:

Fair points but at least on kayo last night's afl360 Joe Montagna summised a way the Pies can be beaten and the Dee's showed this on KB weekend. Others like the Crows also recently even though pies won that game. King nodded away at Joe's warning against pies being a certainty

Most media forget this and forget the Dee's should have won by 8 goals that day.

Whately is just mainly an afl cheerleader. I guess it s understandable given their power.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Jontee said:

The reason why those ex footballers don't repect us is because we are now beating the sides they used to play for.  And they are at least 10 years behind the game.  Look for respect to someone like Ken Hinkley who was very happy in beating us, as he knew what it meant, his side was on the way.

Also for some of the commentators it is a job and so when not on air they relax and 'count the seagulls'.

Anyway as long as we beat the Saints.....

Of all the things I've read and heard, this would have to be right up there as one of the most ridiculous statements going around.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, praha said:

Bowie? Why?

The reference was Bowie forward to Spargo spot. 

4 hours ago, Demonland said:

Laird Out! Massive.

Laird’s out… Crows fans will be happy.

See: the what they are saying at wherever the Crows come from and besides who cares anyways thread. 

3 hours ago, kev martin said:

That's the thing. He's still giving it his all in the VFL. If he'd given up I'd expect his form to be sliding

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1