PREGAME: Rd 17 vs St. Kilda

Demonland

1 hour ago, Demonland said:

Evidently, this ‘building resilience by playing and training through niggles’ has hit its lowest point.

Badly mismanaged by someone.

• Like 6

It does seem like we stuffed up management last year and we're possibly stuffing it up again...

Edited by A F
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, HBDee said:

Sydney did it well against Geelong last week where they honoured the short kick to just in or just outside 50. All of Geelong's defenders sagged off opponents to intercept and Sydney just hit the short kick.

Second half, Geelong had to adjust and go more man on man. The result. You can then kick longer to one on ones.

It literally would only take half a game to change to this sort of tactic that would potentially then allow some longer targets in the second half. Not sure why we don't do this nearly every game.

Gee we're looking wobbly.

Missing out best midfielder (which we're proving we can cover)

And

Missing our best goal kicker (which we could in theory cover)

If

We change our tactics 

The one huge benefit we have is that St Kilda would be expecting us to play exactly the same way we have for the past 6 to 8 weeks.

So, we could catch them out if we actually took the corridor on, moved it fast and lowered our eyes for short kicks to forwards leading into space.

JVR, BB and Kozzie could get it done if we just changed the way we play.

Who's confident we will?

• Like 2
  • Thinking 1

14 minutes ago, A F said:

It does seem like we stuffed up management last year and we're possibly stuffing it up again...

2019, too, don't forget.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Roost it far said:

We have no idea about Oliver’s injury or what extent the infection hampered recovery. Let’s stop pot shotting the club as it’s highly unlikely it’s to do with mismanagement 

So you think that an incredibly fit and diligent footballer who is not old, and has no history of soft tissue injuries, should miss 50 days for a minor hamstring strain? 

Either the original diagnosis is wrong or the management is flawed. 
And if it’s neither of those things, then I am curious to know what it is. 

• Like 8
  • Facepalm 1
  • Thinking 1

2 minutes ago, Jaded No More said:

So you think that an incredibly fit and diligent footballer who is not old, and has no history of soft tissue injuries, should miss 50 days for a minor hamstring strain? 

And if it’s neither of those things, then I am curious to know what it is. 

He damages his hamstring then spends 5-6 days in a hospital bed on antibiotics and doing no rehab. He’s 90% better from all reports and watching his training loads. The last 10% can be problematic. He can run and train he just can’t hit the after burners. So no I don’t think it’s any more than that 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Brownie said:

And

If

Do you mean we're covering Oliver from a statistical point of view?

Or we're covering Oliver from a win/loss point of view?

If the former I'd agree.

If the latter I'd disagree as we're 2-3 without him and dropped extremely winnable games to mediocre sides in GWS and Freo.

Edited by Bring-Back-Powell
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, Jaded No More said:

And if it’s neither of those things, then I am curious to know what it is

Totally agree, never went into the rehab group (except the first Monday session when it seemed to be about assessment). Was running and kicking straight after playing out the game and at training, when he felt there was a problem.

They should have rescued him from himself, slowed him down for at least the first 2 to 4 weeks.

Has to be some kind of ligament/tendon/nerve/bone problem. Cannot be a minor hamstring.

@Roost it far must be right about not being able to use the after burners, without stressing "it".

Edited by kev martin
  • Like 2
  • Thinking 1

6 minutes ago, Roost it far said:

He damages his hamstring then spends 5-6 days in a hospital bed on antibiotics and doing no rehab. He’s 90% better from all reports and watching his training loads. The last 10% can be problematic. He can run and train he just can’t hit the after burners. So no I don’t think it’s any more than that 

Why the hell did they fly him up to Alice? What possible benefit would two plane rides made to his hamstrings? 

The vision of him arguing with Selwyn today is really not great. 

• Like 5
  • Shocked 1
  • Angry 1

45 minutes ago, Brownie said:

If

We change our tactics 

The one huge benefit we have is that St Kilda would be expecting us to play exactly the same way we have for the past 6 to 8 weeks.

So, we could catch them out if we actually took the corridor on, moved it fast and lowered our eyes for short kicks to forwards leading into space.

Who's confident we will?

We have struggled to correct and change up many of our forward issues over many moons Brownie.

I can't see us coming up with a significant variation to our game style without some major changes to personel.

And Goodwin is not one to make many changes from week to week.  Tends to revert back to the well with his same old faithfuls.

Stranger things have happened but personally i can't see it happening this season i'm afraid.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Demon Dynasty said:

We have struggled to correct and change up many of our forward issues over many moons Brownie.

I can't see us coming up with a significant variation to our game style without some major changes to personel.

And Goodwin is not one to make many changes from week to week.  Tends to revert back to the well with his same old faithfuls.

Stranger things have happened but personally i can't see it happening this season i'm afraid.

and yet it was there...in preaseason...at times  in the first half dozen games though not as prevalent as preseason.... and it was most definitley there in KB game v Collingwood.

I've goty no idea why we can't(won't) change .... We dont have to play rubbish forever

Without Fritta, and Oliver together with a dysfunctional forward setup this will test Goodwins Coaching.  If we get out alive this week I'd be surprised. The damage is done and with Gawn a shadow of his former self... We look like being cooked before finals. 

• Thinking 1

53 minutes ago, praha said:

2019, too, don't forget.

Ancient history with a different management team. The current team have overseen 2022 and 2023.

And I don't have a particular problem with Clarry arguing his case on the training track...

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Oh dear 

Seems that he thinks he is ready and is frustrated and Selwyn doesn't think he is 100% right yet. 

He's a competitive bloke, so maybe he needs to be protected from himself. 

• Like 6

30 minutes ago, A F said:

So going by Goody's presser, it seems like no JVR this weekend.

Did he say why?

Played well for Casey so is he injured?

1 hour ago, Brownie said:

And

If

We change our tactics 

Who's confident we will?

Goodwin is stubborn and won’t change a thing that his way, expect a low scoring game where every goal will count. Unless we somehow fix our goal kicking in a week to at least be passable we won’t be winning.

14 minutes ago, Lucifers Hero said:

Did he say why?

Played well for Casey so is he injured?

To be clear, I'm reading between the lines here.

When asked about JVR's VFL form, he said "we sent him back with some clear things that we wanted him to work on and he's started to implement them throughout his training and throughout his performance, so that was really pleasing..."

He then continued with "...he's a good kid, he's gone back and he's gonna work on some things and when he comes back in, he's gonna come back in a better player."

Goody was then asked whether ideally they'd give JVR more time in the VFL, with the questioner implying that if JVR has some things to work on at VFL level, would an ideal scenario be JVR playing at VFL level longer.

Goody responded with "yeah, look, he's still 19, you know, he's still learning his craft, he's still learning his forward craft play at AFL standard, confidently every week. You know, in his first 12 games, he's kicked 17 goals. I'm sure in his next 12 he's gonna have even a bigger impact, not only on the scoreboard, but in how he plays the game. We're really confident that if we keep developing him the right way, that in the long term, we're gonna have an absolute beauty of a player for us. Ah, that's our plan for him. Is to develop him the right way and make sure that he's ready to play to really elite level of AFL footy throughout his whole career."

Edited by A F
  • Thanks 4
  • Vomit 1

9 hours ago, Dee Zephyr said:

Noticed that, Lions are $2.30 the week after. Fantastic odds for those that like to back against their own team and brag about it. 

I’ll have you know DZ, I back against us every single week but I don’t brag about it. Except maybe round five when I cleaned up vs Essendon but that wasn’t bragging, that was simply rejoicing in the glory of being able to feed my bottomless pit of a teenager something other than 2-minute noodles. 😁

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Brownie said:

And

If

We change our tactics 

Who's confident we will?

Not Me !🥶

• Haha 1