POSTGAME: Rd 03 vs Sydney

Demonland

Grundy absolutely phenomenal. Work rate was through the roof for a guy still regaining fitness. Loved his little tug of the jumper as he ran past the members wing post game. He’s been a brilliant trade, as has Hunter. 

JVR what can you say. Did exactly what you wanted from a kid playing his first game and then some. Goal kicking superb. 

My only negative today was Viney. Horrible horrible horrible ball use. He needs to step up now as captain.

• Like 17
  • Love 3
  • Clap 1
  • Thinking 1
  • Shocked 2

What I really loved about today, was the in experienced players who played well. The usual suspects provided their usual influential games. Clarry, Trac, Viney, May, Lever etc etc. when they play well it allows others in the game.

Chandler is a pocket rocket. When he doesn’t have the ball, he harasses, gets in good positions, defends, and has impact. He is the Goodwin mantra - defence equals attack… 3 goals from limited possessions, but was BUSY all game. 

Mc Vee. Did not see this coming. Love how he plays to his strengths and has influence. An AA under 16 year old player and Taylor picked the teeth and got a player here.

JVR, We all saw this coming. His cameo’s were at important times in the game. Experience will create consistency. 3 goals, WOW!! 

JJ, important and unassuming as a midfielder. Keep him. Meat and pototoes. I love protein and carbs. 

Sparrow was good too. Was he tagging? He was in centre bounces a lot today. 

Petty is a tall strong athletic KPP. I thought he was dangerous. As a forward you never discount him. In the air, on the ground, or as defensive forward. He can compete, he can run. Naughton like. But not saying he is as good. The dynamic up forward was dynamic with him there. We were more mobile.

• Like 21

I've always wondered how to re-quote myself on Demonland.

This feels accurate after today's win. 😇

Nope, still couldn't do it - so here is a screen shot

apples GIFScreenShot2023-04-02at18_33_15.thumb.png.ef80026d0bba6f0194b4c6fda2021681.png

Edited by Engorged Onion
  • Like 4
  • Love 2

That victory was very very sweet indeed!!

First of all to withstand that immense pressure on the ball from the swans, and to respond hard when they got within 6 points, was very pleasing.

Guys like Spargo and Rivers have gone to another level, and I was rapt for JJ , who has taken Harmes spot.

JVRs Grab was sensational as was Spargos.

Lots to like against a real contender with two of our best to still return in Max and Koz.

• Like 11

4 minutes ago, Gawndy the Great said:

Phenomenal response by the team. A real statement game without the skipper. A lot of teams will take notice as the swans are top 4 material. 

Hopefully BBB was a tactical sub and not through injury.

BBB looked very proppy when he came off and spent quite a bit of time with the physio 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Really good changes by Goodwin, Hibbo does so many little things well, refuses to go quietly into the night, May was a reincarnation of Glen Jakovich, McVee playing like he's a timelord (reminds me a little of Pendlebury but he doesn't have a basketball background). JVR epic debut, Chandler will have so much confidence. Jordan looked good.

Petracca warmed up nicely, was a bit off timing wise early, but never stopped working and eventually things went his way, loved that he didn't drop his head.

Truly in love with the set shot kicking - take a bow Williams. As a side note JVR thanked Stafford for his work, sounded very genuine, coaching is not a zero sum game. How much fun is it watching the team celebrate goal kickers.

Horse didn't respect our wingers and they paid for it.

Grundy is adapting really quickly to the team, looks like he belongs, and the coverage for Max is epic, Collingwood will rue his departure.

Also a shout out to Viney did some epic work in close, great wingman to Oliver, will probably have more to say after the replay. Other sneaky good was Spargo, got some reward for hard work.

Goodwin won tactically over Horse, I think I might like this more than anything, Goodwin continually proves that he can adapt, so excited for the coach, this really was an 8pt game.

150 GAMES OLIVER - a billion contested possessions, in the 3rd there was one passage of play where they were smashing into each other and the DEES DID NOT GIVE UP, I knew we had the game they, that run of play broke the swans and Oliver was at the heart of it. Goodwin said we would be a contest based team and this passage in the third was the best hammer and tongs footy of the year so far. after that Swans rolled over. Oliver > Flower/Barassi/LaFontaine, never thought I would say this but we are looking at the Michelangelo of contested footy. 

Just a beautiful game to win, huge team performance, wanted this over the Swans so bad, massive flex on the comp, bring on Kings Birthday.

• Like 21
  • Love 13
  • Clap 3

3 minutes ago, bobby1554 said:

BBB looked very proppy when he came off and spent quite a bit of time with the physio 

As I said in game day , was clobbered after 2nd q siren when he was not expecting it

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, DeeZee said:

That victory was very very sweet indeed!!

First of all to withstand that immense pressure on the ball from the swans, and to respond hard when they got within 6 points, was very pleasing.

Guys like Spargo and Rivers have gone to another level, and I was rapt for JJ , who has taken Harmes spot.

JVRs Grab was sensational as was Spargos.

Lots to like against a real contender with two of our best to still return in Max and Koz.

Riv was great, love how we play him higher upfield. Playing to he strengths. Sign this kid ASAP

• Like 6

There was two Melbourne sides out there today, one that went back to 2021 kick down the line and we got worked over for it, players like viney, Sparrow tried to take everyone one but then the good, getting the ball and dish it off, fritsch stop trying to fly with everyone he is better on the lead or stay on the ground, leaving JVR on the ground did well considering he rucked as well, quicker ball movement.

The bad they still have trouble transferring the ball if you look at the last few minutes players were asking for ball but they just kicked down the line to a contest they just don't chip the ball around till they get an opening, I still cannot understand how coaches allow the opposition to dominate in an area and don't try to correct it but I guess that's modern day football.

Now next week kozzie will come in so who goes out I think you take Brown out for him leave Petty and JVR there but who knows.

Just now, Engorged Onion said:

How good does it sound... 😍

on the telecast, came across really well for his 2nd and 3rd goals.

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, Gawndy the Great said:

Doesn’t he always look proppy ? Suffers from the same gait weirdness that May and Trac have. 

I feel like Brown always looks like he’s mere seconds away from having all his limbs fall off. His gait is always really labored.

His knee was heavily strapped post game and he did spend a lot of time with the Physio. Hopefully it’s minor.

I honestly think he should have next week off regardless. It’s a long trip to Perth and we can win without him. Gives us another chance to see how JVR and Petty work together.   

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

I love seeing us running out games. I love trading the weid chant for the roo chant. Went last night to see the weid and have to say I do not miss him. Grundy running through the lines and distributing was just lovely. Loved that they came hard in the middle two quarters and although it looked like they had the game in their hands for a lot of that time we did enough, sloppy as we were during those quarters at times. 

buddy just goes around whacking people these days and papley can go and get [censored] with his chest pumping [censored]. I would love him to play for us though. 

after last week my faith is restored and it made that last quarter all the sweeter. Seeing different set ups is good to watch and will only make us harder to play against. Bring kozzie back in and let’s have a few good weeks.

• Like 7
  • Clap 1

HUGE WIN

Busted through a bogey team. By 50!

I love that we never let up. The swans kept coming back as we knew they would, but we kept them at bay and then stomped them.

Oliver awesome, Grundy around the ground was great. Hunter and Langdon yes! Great effort from our range of forwards. JVR!! Now there’s a player. Big entrance, big future. Same as McVee. Great return from Chandler.

Just so damn enjoyable to watch. And to think, we still have Maxy and Kozzie to come in!!! 

Long year, but we’re in a good position. Looking forward to smashing the lions next time we play, there’s no way they’re anywhere near us. 

GO DEES 🔥

• Like 8