Ticketing 2023

sue

It's Grand Prix Sunday. The crowd isn't going to be amazing.

For context, on GP Sunday last year Hawthorn played St Kilda at the G at 3.20pm and the crowd was 30,926. Both sides were 2-1 at the time, Hawthorn's only loss was by 1 point and St Kilda was fresh off a 5-goal win over Richmond.

11 hours ago, DeelightfulPlay said:

Feels like half the time the people who complain about attendances don't event make the effort to attend themselves :/

Personally I think leading by example (and dragging friends / family / enemies / coworkers into the experience) is more productive!

That's being repetitive.

• Haha 5

No trains on the Frankston line between Moorabbin and South Yarra all weekend. That is not going to help people get to the game on Sunday.

I think 40K will be a decent result, but I suspect that Sydney will be bringing close to half of those.

12 hours ago, Bring-Back-Powell said:

We got 51,000 to this corresponding 3:20 game in late 2018 so there’s precedence and potential for an excellent crowd on what’s expected to be a 20 degree sunny afternoon.

If we can beat the 1986 Anzac Day crowd of 40,000 between these two sides, then I think the club will be happy.

That 51K was only because of the pink lady on the G before the game. There were less then 40K in the ground for the game

I think it would be 40K but GP will bring it below 35K

15 hours ago, DeelightfulPlay said:

Feels like half the time the people who complain about attendances don't event make the effort to attend themselves :/

Personally I think leading by example (and dragging friends / family / enemies / coworkers into the experience) is more productive!

Yeah most people I know who go can't be bothered talking about the attendance, you just attend and hope others will too.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, poita said:

No trains on the Frankston line between Moorabbin and South Yarra all weekend. That is not going to help people get to the game on Sunday.

I think 40K will be a decent result, but I suspect that Sydney will be bringing close to half of those.

The old “No trains on the (insert train line) this weekend” thing rears its ugly head every week. Who likes replacement buses? Nobody, right? (The few who do are clinically insane.) But if one really wants to get to the footy, one will suck it up and get on that goddamn replacement bus!

It all comes down to how much you wanna be there. Some people don’t make the extra effort and that’s their prerogative. No guilting here. Conversely, some people will do anything and everything in their power to be there. Example: I have two jobs, three children, a broken foot and no car. AND replacement buses are my second home. 😁 But I’ll get to (a minimum of) 21 games this year.

You have to want to attend. 

• Like 3
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, poita said:

I bet it wont make a whiff of difference to Pies/Tigers fans on Frid night that trains are out.  Dont think trains out made any difference to the 48,000 plus in Round 1 vs Dogs at night.    Sunday is a better time slot for replacement transport.

BTW Poita how many Dees fans vs Bulldogs did you COUNT?  30,000  35,000 or 38/40,000  ??   And Why should we drop significantly on Sunday except for 2/3,000 for Formula GP?  There will be at least as many Swans fans if not more than Bullies!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, 58er said:

I bet it wont make a whiff of difference to Pies/Tigers fans on Frid night that trains are out.  Dont think trains out made any difference to the 48,000 plus in Round 1 vs Dogs at night.    Sunday is a better time slot for replacement transport.

BTW Poita how many Dees fans vs Bulldogs did you COUNT?  30,000  35,000 or 38/40,000  ??   And Why should we drop significantly on Sunday except for 2/3,000 for Formula GP?  There will be at least as many Swans fans if not more than Bullies!

Let me clarify that last comment. Iam saying there will be more Swans fans to Round 1 than when

8/10,000 Bullies Fans turned up.  Might get 45,000 if good weather 50,000 if Dees fans turn up like Round 1.

22 minutes ago, 58er said:

try 130,000

amazingly enough a lot of people love the grand prix and attend it are also football fans and might generate the casual sports fan who'd go to dees vs swans as a neutral instead would choose to go to the grand prix

5 minutes ago, whatwhat say what said:

try 130,000

amazingly enough a lot of people love the grand prix and attend it are also football fans and might generate the casual sports fan who'd go to dees vs swans as a neutral instead would choose to go to the grand prix

WWSWS  I am not that naive to think that there wont be 120,000 plus at The GPrix.  What I was quoting was the likely 2/3,000 Dees fans that might prefer the GP to our Swans game this Sunday afternoon.  I have lived in Melb for 44 years ( and only been interstate for 30 years since) but I know Melbourne as a sports City and why it is one of the best in the world. I will be at the G and hope you are as well and 35,40/000 Dees fans like the Round 1 crowd vs the Dogs.

1 minute ago, 58er said:

WWSWS  I am not that naive to think that there wont be 120,000 plus at The GPrix.  What I was quoting was the likely 2/3,000 Dees fans that might prefer the GP to our Swans game this Sunday afternoon.  I have lived in Melb for 44 years ( and only been interstate for 30 years since) but I know Melbourne as a sports City and why it is one of the best in the world. I will be at the G and hope you are as well and 35,40/000 Dees fans like the Round 1 crowd vs the Dogs.

100% i'll be there! along with some dees mates and some ol' south melbourne bloods (the real deal!)

can't wait, should be a cracker

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, 58er said:

Let me clarify that last comment. Iam saying there will be more Swans fans to Round 1 than when

8/10,000 Bullies Fans turned up.  Might get 45,000 if good weather 50,000 if Dees fans turn up like Round 1.

Agree with you re Swans fans, suspect there will be about 12K of them. But we will most likely regress to our norm of 20-25K Dees supporters at the game. So I think 35K is the max but happy to be wrong. MCC reserved seats are also selling very slowly for Sunday, hoping for 10k walk ups.

1 hour ago, WalkingCivilWar said:

The old “No trains on the (insert train line) this weekend” thing rears its ugly head every week. Who likes replacement buses? Nobody, right? (The few who do are clinically insane.) But if one really wants to get to the footy, one will suck it up and get on that goddamn replacement bus!

It all comes down to how much you wanna be there. Some people don’t make the extra effort and that’s their prerogative. No guilting here. Conversely, some people will do anything and everything in their power to be there. Example: I have two jobs, three children, a broken foot and no car. AND replacement buses are my second home. 😁 But I’ll get to (a minimum of) 21 games this year.

You have to want to attend. 

If you want to be at the football you will be there, very simple isn't it? Hate all the excuses. Rain, hail, lightening or darkness I am at the games in Melbourne and interstate, because I love the club and game and want to barrack. Just think we need a few more ferals that are willing to make the noise that the pies/blues/tigers fans make.

• Like 2

Just now, FearTheBeard said:

If you want to be at the football you will be there, very simple isn't it? Hate all the excuses. Rain, hail, lightening or darkness I am at the games in Melbourne and interstate, because I love the club and game and want to barrack. Just think we need a few more ferals that are willing to make the noise that the pies/blues/tigers fans make.

Not sure this will ever happen. I’ve yet to come across a feral Dees fan. Not sure they even exist. But it’s their sheer numbers that create that level of noise. And I don’t think we’ll ever match their membership numbers. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Who goes to the Grand Prix? Couldn't think of anything worse 😴

Tickets for Saturday and Sunday were sold out within minutes of sales opening. At rather mouth watering prices for most tickets as well.

Make no mistake Grand Prix is now a big event thanks to the hit Netflix series.. Drive to Survive

The notional value of the franchise has increased almost three fold since the new American owners purchased F1 from Ecclestone

On 3/28/2023 at 2:06 PM, FearTheBeard said:

Love your attitude WCW and Beard. So true. 

• Love 1

On 3/28/2023 at 2:01 PM, FearTheBeard said:

Agree with you re Swans fans, suspect there will be about 12K of them. But we will most likely regress to our norm of 20-25K Dees supporters at the game. So I think 35K is the max but happy to be wrong. MCC reserved seats are also selling very slowly for Sunday, hoping for 10k walk ups.

You said all the other tickets that weren't sold prior to Round1  and obviously missed the mark!  It could happen again even if the GP is on. 

Reckon 40,000 might get there. 

1 minute ago, 58er said:

You said all the other tickets that weren't sold prior to Round1  and obviously missed the mark!  It could happen again even if the GP is on. 

Reckon 40,000 might get there. 

The other thing is Dees fans are not great at pre booking. We have never had to really and this  May reflect in total walk ups of Round1 and this season. 

If I had a choice between F1 and the game I'd definitely should the GP. I'm not even into F1 but I can appreciate the event and importance of the day. Same with the Melbourne Cup, Aus Open etc. Not into those sports but if I get a chance to go, I take it. You're talking about global events, the best in the world. AFL just don't compare.

That said I'll be there on Sunday at the MCG. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, praha said:

If I had a choice between F1 and the game I'd definitely should the GP. I'm not even into F1 but I can appreciate the event and importance of the day. Same with the Melbourne Cup, Aus Open etc. Not into those sports but if I get a chance to go, I take it. You're talking about global events, the best in the world. AFL just don't compare.

That said I'll be there on Sunday at the MCG. 

I get it Praha, not a huge F1 fan either but it's an annual event and a spectacle. At least people are getting out of the house and boosting the economy I say!

I will also be at the G though. 

Edited by layzie
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, layzie said:

I get it Praha, not a huge F1 fan either but it's an annual event and a spectacle. At least people are getting out of the house and boosting the economy I say!

I will also be at the G though. 

Reckon i'm going to need a weeks rest with a sore neck after trying to follow the cars and look at the footy score in quick succession 

• Like 1