Welcome to Demonland Matthew Jefferson

Supreme_Demon

On 04/07/2024 at 18:21, binman said:

He's been miles off AFL ready to relatively recently, particularly in terms of fitness and second efforts.

And he's still a mile off.

So, maybe 4 ½ minutes away then?   (Not up to date with average time for a mile these days)

On 05/07/2024 at 09:08, Redleg said:

I am a fan of Jeffo and have stuck fat.

The decisions for the FD are probably is there a spot atm, is he ready to go at senior level, would a poor debut hurt him mentally and set him back and is he better than others available, or more deserving of an opportunity.

Fullarton played in a final against us, plus other senior games, did ok and yet hasn’t got a game with us yet. Maybe this week will be his first.

I am sure we have spoken to Jeffo about his progress many times and hopefully he is on board.

Maybe he gets a game later or maybe another pre season is needed.

Whatever, I am hopeful he will make it and when he comes in, he stays in, rather than being not ready and disappointing and setting him back.

That rally is telling - Fullarton himself will no doubt be bitterly disappointed in that he was prpbably told he would be next man in if a tall forward, who cam relieve in the ruck, was needed.

On 05/07/2024 at 18:44, Roost it far said:

I'm potentially the one about to wear egg re. Jefferson. He's certainly taken some solid strides this season but the calls to play him feel very premature. 

Roost - I reckon he will get a game or two late in the season only if finals are out oof contention.  Otherwise we can look forward to a stronger, hungrier Jeff round 1 (or round zero, maybe minus 1?) 2025

On 05/07/2024 at 19:05, DEE fence said:

Not that I disagree with you, but just an anecdote, a mate of mine is an agent for NHL players in NY and he has a 1st round pick gun (playing a few seasons now) who absolutely goes mental if anyone speaks about his weight. 

Sounds like a lot of women I know - isn't it complaints from AFLW that lead to them no longer listing weight in player stats?

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, picket fence said:

Jeffo has a Flawless set shot routine, very Matthew Lloyd like!

I randomly had some footage of Dunstall and Lockett representing Victoria come up in my feed, and it reminded me of the dead-straight, efficient and uncomplicated set shot kicking routines those players had. None of this wierd ball spinning, ball jiggling, leg hopping, stuttering run ups many modern players display. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, gs77 said:

I randomly had some footage of Dunstall and Lockett representing Victoria come up in my feed, and it reminded me of the dead-straight, efficient and uncomplicated set shot kicking routines those players had. None of this wierd ball spinning, ball jiggling, leg hopping, stuttering run ups many modern players display. 

lockett's set shot routine is why i call tom mcdonald 'plugger mac'

eerily similar routine, and effective result

• Like 2

On 05/07/2024 at 13:57, Binmans PA said:

I think Goody knows we need a seasoned body in the front half that is going to help bring the ball to ground and can stop their interceptors from cleaning up back there.

Without Petty and given the opposition, I can see why the FD have gone with Melksham, but I think Jefferson is close and will play this year.

I doubt he will.

Not AFL level fit enough yet. 

And whilst he has improved his second efforts, they are nor instinctive yet.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, binman said:

I doubt he will.

Are we anticipating the delisting of Bayley Fritsch, Max or Ben King, or Jamarra Ugle-Hagan due to lack of second efforts at end of year 2024

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, binman said:

I doubt he will.

McQualter was just interviewed and said he comes up in MC every week now and is really close. I believe his words were "really close".

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1
  • Thinking 1

19 minutes ago, adonski said:

Are we anticipating the delisting of Bayley Fritsch, Max or Ben King, or Jamarra Ugle-Hagan due to lack of second efforts at end of year 2024

Not quite sure what point you are making here.

We should select Jefferson because there are key forwards who aren't great with their second efforts?

A better comparison would be Sam Weideman vis a vis the key reason his AFL career is a bust.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Binmans PA said:

McQualter was just interviewed and said he comes up in MC every week now and is really close. I believe his words were "really close".

That's great.

They wont select him if they don't think he is ready. And they obviously know where he is at in terms of meeting his KPIs etc.

If he is selected fans can be confident he is ready to roll.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, binman said:

We should select Jefferson because there are key forwards who aren't great with their second efforts?

A better comparison would be Sam Weideman vis a vis the key reason his AFL career is a bust.

His first efforts are not all that flash either.

• Sad 1

Just now, old dee said:

His first efforts are not all that flash either.

The weed?

True 'nuff.

That can't be said of jeffo fortunately. He goes hard in the air. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, binman said:

That's great.

They wont select him if they don't think he is ready. And they obviously know where he is at in terms of meeting his KPIs etc.

If he is selected fans can be confident he is ready to roll.

Indeed.

I think there's too much noise from the FD. He'll play this year if his form continues IMO.

We'll see.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, binman said:

The weed?

True 'nuff.

That can't be said of jeffo fortunately. He goes hard in the air. 

Yes I meant the weed. I don't think I ever saw him take a contested grab. Re  Jefferson, jury still out for me but I haven't seen him the last 2 weeks. Time is a funny thing.  Just a couple of years ago People wanted tmac and milkshake gone because they were cooked and the weed was the thing.  

Edited by old dee
  • Like 3

10 minutes ago, Binmans PA said:

Indeed.

I think there's too much noise from the FD. He'll play this year if his form continues IMO.

We'll see.

I'd be happy to try him, however we need to choose the right opponent

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, SFebes said:

I'd be happy to try him, however we need to choose the right opponent

It would be great if we could do that. We would win the flag for sure. 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, picket fence said:

Jeffo has a Flawless set shot routine, very Matthew Lloyd like!

Interesting parallel. 

Matthew Lloyd who played just 5 games in his first season (for 7 goals), and in his second season didn't play consecutive games in the firsts until round 19, where he established his place by startling everyone with 7 goals, before then only kicking another seven total from his remaining six games. Didn't really build anything interesting until his third season, from then he spent the next 12 seasons kicking 3 goals a game.

That'll do for a Jeffo trajectory adjusted for forward line shrinkflation.

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, Little Goffy said:

Interesting parallel. 

Matthew Lloyd who played just 5 games in his first season (for 7 goals), and in his second season didn't play consecutive games in the firsts until round 19, where he established his place by startling everyone with 7 goals, before then only kicking another seven total from his remaining six games. Didn't really build anything interesting until his third season, from then he spent the next 12 seasons kicking 3 goals a game.

That'll do for a Jeffo trajectory adjusted for forward line shrinkflation.

Do you know what his accuracy was? 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, old dee said:

It would be great if we could do that. We would win the flag for sure. 

What I'm saying OD is, we don't want another Jack Watts scenario.....

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, monoccular said:

Sounds like a lot of women I know - isn't it complaints from AFLW that lead to them no longer listing weight in player stats?

I don't think it was just about the women, but am far from sure. I've known guys with bulimia as well.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Binmans PA said:

Goodwin recently said Jefferson is definitely in the mix now. Thing is for him to just keep improving. His debut will come. 

• Like 3

Just now, Bay Riffin said:

Goodwin recently said Jefferson is definitely in the mix now. Thing is for him to just keep improving. His debut will come. 

Yep, two weeks ago in his presser Gpody discussed.

That's what I mean by the FD discussing it publicly. Goody and now McQualter.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

5 hours ago, binman said:

Disagree Binman, if you look closely Jeffo is not like Weeds IMV. He takes one grab marks and seldom gets pushed under the ball.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, binman said:

Weid was a bust because he didn't have any talent

• Facepalm 3
  • Sad 1
  • Vomit 1