Jump to content

  • Podcast:      

  • Podcast:     

Delisting/Out of contract targets



Recommended Posts

I really think we need to bring in some cheap depth players to see if they can crack the 22 or at least provide more cover than young kids given our window is now.

Some options already have threads, like a Josh Corbett. Here are some other ideas.

Darragh Joyce - 25 - 194cm - 95kg
25 year old Irish fella delisted by the Saints. VFL form has been strong. Good athlete. Could well provide cheap key defensive depth if we moved Tomlinson

Liam McMahon - 20 - 198cm - 89kg
Pick 31 in the 2020 draft, cut after 2 years. Played as a forward as a junior but the Pies settled him as a key back . Nice kick, skinny and needs time. Not the most physical or athletic but with his height and skills he wouldn't need to be. No point expecting skinny kids to be physical either, train him up and see if that develops as he adds bulk. Surprised the Pies didn't want to see a 3rd year with a bit more bulk.


Jaxon Prior - 21 - 189cm - 85kg

3 years on the Lions list and hasn't quite locked down a best 22 spot, has played some half back or wing. With Dunkley and Ashcroft coming in and Brisbane needed picks and probably cap space he could be squeezed out for a cheap deal and pick I think. I like him as a winger with his big body. His long left foot would provide something different for our midfield mix. Wouldn't expect him to walk in to the best 22 but he'd provide some competition to JJ for a wing spot.

Jack Newnes - 29 - 185cm, 86kg
We all know Newnes, can play half back but wing is his best role. Just a very playable outside runner. Nothing special but runs, kicks, not the worst at the contest. If we want a year or two of solid wing play that allows us to use our current midfielders through the half forward line more he'll provide it.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don't mind some of the suggestions. But you were complaining about senior players holding back the development of young players at Casey. Jack Newnes would be a classic example of just that. He got the flick from St. Kilda, can't get a game at the Blues, but you think he could be in our best 22. Personally I prefer JJ as our wingman, and see how Howes and Woey develop.

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites


2 minutes ago, mo64 said:

I don't mind some of the suggestions. But you were complaining about senior players holding back the development of young players at Casey. Jack Newnes would be a classic example of just that. He got the flick from St. Kilda, can't get a game at the Blues, but you think he could be in our best 22. Personally I prefer JJ as our wingman, and see how Howes and Woey develop.

I’m conflicting myself but I’m ok with it in a position where we have no depth, have struggled for years to find answers and the player coming in could stick in the best 22 relatively easily. M Brown, Dunstan and Baker were never going to be picked by Goodwin unless we had a stack of injuries and were always going to make way for other options. If JJ or Langdon got injured and Harmes/Gus were needed elsewhere I’d imagine Newnes would stick in the team at least for 2023. Woey and Howes are more 2024 options I think. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, DeeSpencer said:

Jaxon Prior - 21 - 189cm - 85kg

3 years on the Lions list and hasn't quite locked down a best 22 spot, has played some half back or wing. With Dunkley and Ashcroft coming in and Brisbane needed picks and probably cap space he could be squeezed out for a cheap deal and pick I think. I like him as a winger with his big body. His long left foot would provide something different for our midfield mix. Wouldn't expect him to walk in to the best 22 but he'd provide some competition to JJ for a wing spot.

 

1. he hasnt been delisted yet, 2. he played in an elimination final only rhis year and with robinson leaving, he'll have first crack at that wing next season, going no where.

also tomlinson isnt leaving, like he just isn't, he's staying as depth and insurance. so why on earth would we move on a player who has spent 3-4 years learning our system for an irishman with 3x less games, to fill the exact same role. 

it's very rare for young players who didnt play a game to get another afl chance straight away. if the pies saw even a glimmer of something in mcmahon as a 20yo 198cm prospect theyd have given him the chance to continue developing at vfl level. if they didn't, theres a reason for that... next.

the only delisted players who have even slightly intrigued me so far are 

Callow for a train-on/rookie spot or just get him down to Casey for the year coz they'll need a Key forward

and TPhillips as a train on, but only if baker goes. and similar to my argument about Tomlinson v Joyce, Baker knows the system, knows the squad and puts up similar/better vfl stats so it would be meaningless to change it unless you thought phillips was going to absolutely make a difference and given where our list is and our game style i'd argue not

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites


21 minutes ago, Turner said:

1. he hasnt been delisted yet, 2. he played in an elimination final only rhis year and with robinson leaving, he'll have first crack at that wing next season, going no where.

Neale, Dunkley, McCluggage, Rayner, Berry, Lyons, Zorko, Bailey, Ashcroft, Answorth, Ah Chee, Dev Robertson and possibly Tunstill are all ahead of him and can’t all play in the same midfield. The Lions will need cap space and draft picks. Someone will shake out.

26 minutes ago, Turner said:

also tomlinson isnt leaving, like he just isn't, he's staying as depth and insurance. so why on earth would we move on a player who has spent 3-4 years learning our system for an irishman with 3x less games, to fill the exact same role. 

400k less cash is a big reason why

27 minutes ago, Turner said:

it's very rare for young players who didnt play a game to get another afl chance straight away. if the pies saw even a glimmer of something in mcmahon as a 20yo 198cm prospect theyd have given him the chance to continue developing at vfl level. if they didn't, theres a reason for that... next.

Clubs mostly get it right but key defenders is one spot they can miss. Stephen Gilham, Zac Dawson and Ryan Gardner (as a mid season draft pick post playing for the dogs VFL) are 3 who were snapped up quickly and played in grand finals. I think McMahon would be worth a good look at the tape and some train on time. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

8 minutes ago, DeeSpencer said:

Neale, Dunkley, McCluggage, Rayner, Berry, Lyons, Zorko, Bailey, Ashcroft, Answorth, Ah Chee, Dev Robertson and possibly Tunstill are all ahead of him and can’t all play in the same midfield. The Lions will need cap space and draft picks. Someone will shake out.

Neale, Rayner, Lyons, Robertson, Zorko aren't wingers. They've got other fringe players that'll leave before prior does

8 minutes ago, DeeSpencer said:

400k less cash is a big reason why

that's why im suggesting (in the tomlison thread) that we'll smooth that out for an extra few years and that'll just about do him

10 minutes ago, DeeSpencer said:

Clubs mostly get it right but key defenders is one spot they can miss. Stephen Gilham, Zac Dawson and Ryan Gardner (as a mid season draft pick post playing for the dogs VFL) are 3 who were snapped up quickly and played in grand finals. I think McMahon would be worth a good look at the tape and some train on time. 

true, you're right i dindt think of him as a KPD, he'd have to be trained up there but he was drafted and played as a forward

https://vfl.aflmstats.com/player/Liam_McMahon and according to this played mostly through the guts?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Older demon said:

I think initially the club has to delist a minimum of 3. To date we have retirees in Brown & Daw, Rosman delisted and Jackson of to Freo. At this stage perhaps the club is making minimal changes this year. Chandler promised a list spot and grundy for Jacko.

Just to clarify.  I believe the rule is to use at least 3 picks at the National Draft.  However, that includes using a late pick to upgrade a rookie as we will this year for Chandler.  That could be our pick 86.

Clubs can delist as many as they want and 6-10 is not uncommon.

I suspect there are more changes to come.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, DeeSpencer said:

I really think we need to bring in some cheap depth players to see if they can crack the 22 or at least provide more cover than young kids given our window is now.

Some options already have threads, like a Josh Corbett. Here are some other ideas.

Darragh Joyce - 25 - 194cm - 95kg
25 year old Irish fella delisted by the Saints. VFL form has been strong. Good athlete. Could well provide cheap key defensive depth if we moved Tomlinson

Liam McMahon - 20 - 198cm - 89kg
Pick 31 in the 2020 draft, cut after 2 years. Played as a forward as a junior but the Pies settled him as a key back . Nice kick, skinny and needs time. Not the most physical or athletic but with his height and skills he wouldn't need to be. No point expecting skinny kids to be physical either, train him up and see if that develops as he adds bulk. Surprised the Pies didn't want to see a 3rd year with a bit more bulk.


Jaxon Prior - 21 - 189cm - 85kg

3 years on the Lions list and hasn't quite locked down a best 22 spot, has played some half back or wing. With Dunkley and Ashcroft coming in and Brisbane needed picks and probably cap space he could be squeezed out for a cheap deal and pick I think. I like him as a winger with his big body. His long left foot would provide something different for our midfield mix. Wouldn't expect him to walk in to the best 22 but he'd provide some competition to JJ for a wing spot.

Jack Newnes - 29 - 185cm, 86kg
We all know Newnes, can play half back but wing is his best role. Just a very playable outside runner. Nothing special but runs, kicks, not the worst at the contest. If we want a year or two of solid wing play that allows us to use our current midfielders through the half forward line more he'll provide it.

I don't mind the idea of Liam Mcmahon as a bit of a project. Ideally it would be good to have a physical and strong forward in the wings but I find it strange that they cut him after 2 seasons. You really need at least 3 for a KPP to build the body. From the little I've seen his skills are easily above average for a big guy. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, layzie said:

I don't mind the idea of Liam Mcmahon as a bit of a project. Ideally it would be good to have a physical and strong forward in the wings but I find it strange that they cut him after 2 seasons. You really need at least 3 for a KPP to build the body. From the little I've seen his skills are easily above average for a big guy. 

This is band Aid if it replaces the draft unless the player had something special

McMahon needs building up obviously but our draft choices are where our cream is to take and the mid or preseason drafts are ok for your choices. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Lucifers Hero said:

Just to clarify.  I believe the rule is to use at least 3 picks at the National Draft.  However, that includes using a late pick to upgrade a rookie as we will this year for Chandler.  That could be our pick 86.

Clubs can delist as many as they want and 6-10 is not uncommon.

I suspect there are more changes to come.

Thanks Luci! I believe it is also possible to delist someone and then re  draft them as a rookie? Some of the club delistings ie McMahon at the Pies could be rocked at the same club

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites


16 minutes ago, Older demon said:

Thanks Luci! I believe it is also possible to delist someone and then re  draft them as a rookie? Some of the club delistings ie McMahon at the Pies could be rocked at the same club

I believe you are correct.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, Older demon said:

Thanks Luci! I believe it is also possible to delist someone and then re  draft them as a rookie? Some of the club delistings ie McMahon at the Pies could be rocked at the same club

if that was the case they would've announced it at the time of delisting/left it till post trade period when they had some actual idea about their list size and where the free spaces were

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Older demon said:

Thanks Luci! I believe it is also possible to delist someone and then re  draft them as a rookie? Some of the club delistings ie McMahon at the Pies could be rocked at the same club

I don’t think you’d delist a player this early in the process if you wanted to commit to them as a rookie. Usually those delistings come later and/or with an announced caveat. Phil Davis got the delist but rookie announcement. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Callum Brown and Issac Chugg from Collingwood delisted and worth a look.

Brown has shown it at AFL level for periods and would be handy depth on the wing which is an area we are shallow in.

Chugg is similar type player too.  could be good cheap options

  • Thinking 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Turner said:

if that was the case they would've announced it at the time of delisting/left it till post trade period when they had some actual idea about their list size and where the free spaces were

 

2 hours ago, DeeSpencer said:

I don’t think you’d delist a player this early in the process if you wanted to commit to them as a rookie. Usually those delistings come later and/or with an announced caveat. Phil Davis got the delist but rookie announcement. 

Agree. Fraser Rosman is gone gone for example.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, Travy14 said:

Callum Brown and Issac Chugg from Collingwood delisted and worth a look.

Brown has shown it at AFL level for periods and would be handy depth on the wing which is an area we are shallow in.

Chugg is similar type player too.  could be good cheap options

Chugg sounds like he'd perform well on Mad Monday - pass on both for mine 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, Sydee said:

Chugg sounds like he'd perform well on Mad Monday - pass on both for mine 

haha, was very good in the VFL, purely as depth in position.  could even put them on the rookie list

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Match Previews, Reports & Articles  

    EYES ON RED & BLUE by Wilma from West Perth

    It was a great weekend for the Red and the Blue on this side of the Nullarbor.   On Saturday, West Perth bested Claremont by two goals after leading all day with the exception of a few early minutes to take out the WAFL Premiership and on Sunday, Melbourne scored a five goal win over Fremantle with a stunning four goals to zip in the final term.   Again, it was the red and the blue leading nearly all day to record their fifth win from six games.   The ou

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    THE TRADING CHRONICLES by The Oracle

    Part One - ZERO HOUR, 9AM The AFL Trade Period begins in earnest at 9.00am amid the announcement of a bombshell by North Melbourne’s 2021 Number 1 draft pick Jason Horne-Francis that he wants to leave the club and return to his home state to play for Port Adelaide.  The Herald Sun is reporting that “Horne-Francis will cite the instability at North Melbourne this year in his first season“ along with a likely continuation of chaos as a result of the uncertainty surrounding coach Alastair

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features 1

    BLUE VIBE AT IKON by Meggs

    It was such a nice vibe at Ikon on Friday night.     Princes Park looked in excellent condition, a relaxed but modest crowd and President Kate Roffey and CEO Gary Pert in attendance, greeting fans and shaking hands.     It was an evening with little to complain about for Dees supporters, save for some drizzling rain, a few missed scoring opportunities and the fact that the Dees as raging favourites duly took the four points.   Carlton was always going to struggle to cover

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    BLUES AWAY by Meggs

    This Round 5 clash against the Blues at Princes Park (officially known as Ikon Park) is a great chance for the Dees to bounce back to the winning circle following our top-of-the-table loss to Brisbane last week.     Carlton will be missing several key players with the pundits calling 10 to nil.  Raging favouritism is never a comfortable thing for Melbourne supporters but we simply must deliver on Friday night.   History has seen these teams play four times since 2017 with the Dee

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    LIONS POUNCE by Meggs

    Early Sunday afternoon Meggs was coffeeing in Mornington and witnessing hail, thunder, lightning, rain, wind and feeling the freezing temperatures and knowing all these elements were heading towards Casey Fields.  Oh dear.  The Brisbane coach had said during the week that he wanted the game moved to Marvel because “if you're going to have two of the better teams in the comp playing, (it warrants) a venue and deck that suits the occasion”.  However, Casey Fields was uncharacteristi

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    RAINING PREMIERS by KC from Casey

    If the threatening dark grey skies that loomed above Ikon Park before the VFL Grand Final didn’t provide a sufficiently inhospitable reception for our visitors from sunny Queensland, the rains that bucketed down after quarter time certainly did. For years, the Casey Demons have welcomed opposing teams at their home fortress with rain, hail, wind and frosty conditions and it was just Southport’s luck that they met those conditions head on in the VFL’s big dance. They suited Casey’s skillful

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    PRIDE OF VICTORIA by KC from Casey

    When Casey Demons coach Mark Corrigan talks about his charges putting their “best foot forward” on Sunday when they take on the Southport Sharks in the 2022 VFL Grand Final, it’s a signal that his team is on a mission not only for themselves but in  the name of their forebears, the Springvale Scorpions, and indeed for the pride and honour of the entire State of Victoria. The VFL club now known as the Casey Demons last won a premiership flag under the name of the Springvale Scorpions but tha

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    NARRM AT HOME by Meggs

    For the fourth consecutive week, and the second week as the mighty Narrm, we take on a Top 8 team. Could this match be a preview of the Season 7 Grand Final?   Our opponents this week, Brisbane, stand undefeated atop the AFLW ladder after slaying the struggling Freo, and the unrated Giants and Gold Coast.  After amassing 225 points for and only 56 against, for a percentage of 401.8%, the pundits are claiming the Lions have the best attack the competition has ever seen.   Brisbane

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    CHANGES 2022 by The Oracle

    Part 1: The year we stood still (or did we?).  Premiership coach David Parkin who  coincidentally turned 80 yesterday, famously used to say that even a premiership team needs to bring at least five new players into the fold in order to advance from year to year and therefore, if this adage remains true, then the Melbourne Football Club really did stand still in 2022.  Of the players recruited after the club’s premiership in September, 2021, only Luke Dunstan (5 games) managed to provid

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features
  • Tell a friend

    Love Demonland? Tell a friend!

×
×
  • Create New...