2022 Brownlow Medal

Wilson7

I don't know about the fairest part of the footy awards.  Each club's BnF awards the best player right?  even the player is suspended, they still receive the award?  correct me if I am wrong

Would we really want Clarry missing a Brownlow if he was suspended for a dangerous tackle or an accidental bump that concussed someone?  He is still a fair player

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Demonland said:

2013 we polled 16 votes. The Eagles now hold the record for the least amount of team votes.

Go ahead and laugh it up because they sure were laughing at us back then.

They can still laugh at us.

We didn't have Covid to deal with..

We were just a genuine basket case with no excuse!

• Like 1

"For christ's sake why do people get their balls in a knot over the brownlow votes, it's an umpires award always has been and will be it's no different to coaches award, media awards or any other award it's subject to their interpretation time to move on and stop being petty that Clarry did not win it, even the so called experts had Neale, Cripps as to contenders. "

When you look at it : Cripps, Miller, Neale, Brayshaw A., Petracca & Oliver.

Any team would love to have 2 of them !!!

The Brownlow is one of the Awards, but the only one delivered by the people actually in the middle, hence is more on involvement rather than impact.

Since the modern game has evolved it really has become a Midfielders award.

The Coaches award is closer to the impact a player has on the game so the supporters of a player from a club who polls very highly in the Coaches award and poorly in the Brownlow (and vice versa ) tend to criticise the other.

• Like 2

The Brownlow Medal needs to be substantially redesigned, in my opinion. Since its inception, the medal voting system hasn't altered, save for a few years when they double the votes. It is biassed in favour of midfielders who are under the constant eye of the umpires. Here, the system is at fault rather than the umpires. The voting system does not honour or recognise key position or role players who might be as, if not more, crucial to their team's success than the midfielders.

The AFL need to design a voting system that captures the complexities of the modern game. The current system belongs back in the 70's and 80's where the game relied more on individual performances rather than team performances (ie zoning). Maybe the Coaches award might be a worthy alternative as only the coaches truly understand the importance that each player brings to the game each week.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, david_neitz_is_my_dad said:

I just don’t see how Oliver can win one, he had a breakout year again ontop of a great 2021. Missed a few votes that if looking at stats would have been awarded and then you have Petracca pinching votes

We all want Oliver to win a Brownlow.

But, I don't know why people need to talk down Petracca to praise Oliver...one could say Oliver is pinching votes from Petracca.  Just saying.

• Like 4

Just now, Lucifers Hero said:

We all want Oliver to win a Brownlow.

But, I don't know why people need to talk down Petracca to praise Oliver...one could say Oliver is pinching votes from Petracca.  Just saying.

Oliver is much more consistent from round 1 to 23. I wasn’t talking him down either, the umpires will always vote Petracca over Oliver if they both played well because of their game styles

7 minutes ago, david_neitz_is_my_dad said:

Oliver is much more consistent from round 1 to 23. I wasn’t talking him down either, the umpires will always vote Petracca over Oliver if they both played well because of their game styles

The coaches votes differential were very similar to the (Brownlow).  Oliver: 98 (25).  Petracca:  89 (24).

It looks to me the umpires voted it similarly to the coaches and not on 'styles'.

When saying Petracca is 'pinching' votes it is saying he isn't worthy of those votes.  To me that is talking him down.

Edited by Lucifers Hero
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Flower Magic said:

Enjoyed Trac's reaction when Mihocek got the three votes in the QB game. Good thing he wasn't eating or drinking at the time, as he would have made a mess of the table.

There's a lot of toys being thrown out of the cot here because Oliver didn't win it.

You can't on the one hand complain about it being a midfielder's medal, then complain about votes being given to a forward who kicked 4 goals (including the one that put them in front) in a close-fought match to drag their side to a win.  

• Like 4

1 hour ago, sue said:

Sorry if this has been mentioned before (haven't read this entire thread because I think the Brownlow is rubbish) but I was pleased (and somewhat surprised) to read this. Maybe Gil isn't the complete company man I thought.  Maybe it was easier to write as he is on the way out.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-news-2022-patrick-cripps-brownlow-medal-suspension-hit-on-callum-ah-chee-appeals-board-gillon-mclachlan-comments/news-story/f4603f6834cd9f3e70c0d3d882c885d9

Gil said those things a month ago but it was published in the last week and Fox Sports turned it into a clickbaity headline to make it sound like Gil said it after Cripps won.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DubDee said:

I don't know about the fairest part of the footy awards.  Each club's BnF awards the best player right?  even the player is suspended, they still receive the award?  correct me if I am wrong

Would we really want Clarry missing a Brownlow if he was suspended for a dangerous tackle or an accidental bump that concussed someone?  He is still a fair player

Yes I would. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, The Lobster Effect said:

Gil said those things a month ago but it was published in the last week and Fox Sports turned it into a clickbaity headline to make it sound like Gil said it after Cripps won.

Whatever it takes. The AFL have degraded their already degraded award because of the absurd Cripps appeal. Let it be sung far and wide.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Sir Why You Little said:

The 2022 Brownlow Medallist i present to you

D052715D-FF55-4478-BCAC-090B8BC8A995.jpeg

Off the ground, head contact, concussion. Dozens of times we've seen guys suspended even when the football loving public thought it unwarranted, because "the head is sacrosanct".

But no, Cripps was denied procedural fairness. After being permitted to appeal the MRP decision, front a tribunal hearing and then being permitted to appeal the  tribunal decision. Unfair.

• Like 1
  • Vomit 1